Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a serious note, I posted this on my page a while back after a discussion on here regarding Gen X.  This is my take on it:

I had a discussion recently regarding "Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials. The discussion seemed to hinge on how Gen X is somewhat of an enigma in ideological, societal, and political terms. Being Gen X, I will explain it to everyone.

Gen X is the forgotten generation. We are a small group population-wise. We were raised by the boomers and largely sold the "American dream."

You were expected to go to college if you wanted to have any life (trades were looked down on.) Our media fed us a steady diet of middle-class comfort and high-class glitz.

We went to college-- or in many cases-- off to trades against the wishes of guidance counselors. We started clawing our way into the job market-- FULLY expecting to do better than our fathers. After all, the American Dream we were sold was that the child is a progression to a higher rung than the previous generation.

We did well for a while. The economy of the late 90s was good. What we didn't realize is that we were in a boom cycle largely built on speculation.

It didn't last. We found ourselves saddled with student loan debt and a lot of hard work to do. We realized that a lot of what was sold to us was simply not the case.

We could have gone down the road of feeling we were owed something. But we didn't. We were instilled from birth with the work-ethic of our fathers. We just felt that we kinda got screwed with how things turned out.

Then, as a whole, we put our noses to the grindstone and started trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

But what you got also was a generation that really doesn't want to hear any more advice from anyone. They just want to be left the hell alone.

We abandoned the power ballads of the heavy metal bands and settled into our Nirvana-esque nihilism. We understand that it ain't going to be like we envisioned it to be. We are going to have to scrape and claw our way to anything we get. No one is going to have some magic secret that solves all the problems that we have or society has. We don't respect pipe dreams.

Because of all of that, we are critical of and have disdain for anyone selling anything- whether that be an idea, a service, a product, or themselves. Naturally, politicians and the political process are completely distrusted.

We just want to be left alone. In that vein, we leave everyone else alone. And we get PISSED when someone can't respect the deal we are offering.

Now, we are in our mid-to-late 40s. We are finally starting to see some rewards for decades of blood, sweat, and tears. Many of us (except me, I have an 8 year old) are seeing our children going out into the world, taking that financial burden off of us. It is time to start breathing easier for once.

But no... now we are seeing an entire crop of politicians violating the "deal" we tried to establish: Leave me the hell alone and we will leave you the hell alone.

We see an entire generation of young people that now believes that we OWE them things that we worked to get on our own.

We are nihilists. All of us are in some way. We made peace with that reality. And how dare anyone demand things that we realized wasn't for us-- but expect us to pay for it for them when we have only begun to be able to do ANYTHING for ourselves.

We are seeing "Leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" violated with impunity.

The problem is that we are a small generation. We do not have the political power to fight it or stop it. Again, we have a reason for our nihilism.

I often wonder if the "boog" movement is more of a gen X thing than it is younger generations. We know we can't fight you at the ballot box. We know our voices will NEVER be heard. We know that "leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" is being violated. And we have little recourse-- except that we aren't going to keep playing this game.

We are the "walk away" generation. "Just leave us the hell alone. You can do all the shit you want, just leave me out of it, or I am out of here."
View Quote

Wow, this pretty much sums it up perfectly. To a T, actually.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

WTF was the name of the shitty knife store in every mall?
Sold all that D&D bullshit, fake Rambo knives,  and all that ninja shit..
View Quote

I want to say "Spencer's" ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Star Wars in the theater in ‘77, with action figures and trading cards. Animated LOTR. Last generation to have Saturday morning cartoons. Atari 2600 playing Pitfall and Adventure and finding the Warren Robinette secret room. Substance 87 on vinyl...

MST3K - The 80's is all your fault!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Still my favorite:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I was in that fucking thread... I had the Stephen Hayes instructional books Vol 1 & 3, plus “Ninja Secrets of Invisibility”

What I learned from those books has stayed with me for life.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On a serious note, I posted this on my page a while back after a discussion on here regarding Gen X.  This is my take on it:

I had a discussion recently regarding "Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials. The discussion seemed to hinge on how Gen X is somewhat of an enigma in ideological, societal, and political terms. Being Gen X, I will explain it to everyone.

Gen X is the forgotten generation. We are a small group population-wise. We were raised by the boomers and largely sold the "American dream."

You were expected to go to college if you wanted to have any life (trades were looked down on.) Our media fed us a steady diet of middle-class comfort and high-class glitz.

We went to college-- or in many cases-- off to trades against the wishes of guidance counselors. We started clawing our way into the job market-- FULLY expecting to do better than our fathers. After all, the American Dream we were sold was that the child is a progression to a higher rung than the previous generation.

We did well for a while. The economy of the late 90s was good. What we didn't realize is that we were in a boom cycle largely built on speculation.

It didn't last. We found ourselves saddled with student loan debt and a lot of hard work to do. We realized that a lot of what was sold to us was simply not the case.

We could have gone down the road of feeling we were owed something. But we didn't. We were instilled from birth with the work-ethic of our fathers. We just felt that we kinda got screwed with how things turned out.

Then, as a whole, we put our noses to the grindstone and started trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

But what you got also was a generation that really doesn't want to hear any more advice from anyone. They just want to be left the hell alone.

We abandoned the power ballads of the heavy metal bands and settled into our Nirvana-esque nihilism. We understand that it ain't going to be like we envisioned it to be. We are going to have to scrape and claw our way to anything we get. No one is going to have some magic secret that solves all the problems that we have or society has. We don't respect pipe dreams.

Because of all of that, we are critical of and have disdain for anyone selling anything- whether that be an idea, a service, a product, or themselves. Naturally, politicians and the political process are completely distrusted.

We just want to be left alone. In that vein, we leave everyone else alone. And we get PISSED when someone can't respect the deal we are offering.

Now, we are in our mid-to-late 40s. We are finally starting to see some rewards for decades of blood, sweat, and tears. Many of us (except me, I have an 8 year old) are seeing our children going out into the world, taking that financial burden off of us. It is time to start breathing easier for once.

But no... now we are seeing an entire crop of politicians violating the "deal" we tried to establish: Leave me the hell alone and we will leave you the hell alone.

We see an entire generation of young people that now believes that we OWE them things that we worked to get on our own.

We are nihilists. All of us are in some way. We made peace with that reality. And how dare anyone demand things that we realized wasn't for us-- but expect us to pay for it for them when we have only begun to be able to do ANYTHING for ourselves.

We are seeing "Leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" violated with impunity.

The problem is that we are a small generation. We do not have the political power to fight it or stop it. Again, we have a reason for our nihilism.

I often wonder if the "boog" movement is more of a gen X thing than it is younger generations. We know we can't fight you at the ballot box. We know our voices will NEVER be heard. We know that "leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" is being violated. And we have little recourse-- except that we aren't going to keep playing this game.

We are the "walk away" generation. "Just leave us the hell alone. You can do all the shit you want, just leave me out of it, or I am out of here."
View Quote

Nearly perfect summation. Only thing I have to add is there were no fatties back then and three wheelers were awesome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This gen x born in 78 checking in
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you shit up a meme thread debating whether the Gen X cutoff is '79, or '84 then you're not Gen X; you're automatically a Boomer.

This gen x born in 78 checking in
Yep. '78 here. I don't care what anyone says. When I wasn't working on a construction site for my Dad I was running around the neighborhood with a 5" hunting knife on my belt in the late 80's. I had free roam of several miles including the James River as long as I didn't cross the main 4 lane road.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:On the other hand, I did have an NES, and died of dysentery more than a few times on the old Apple IIe at school.  
View Quote

You know, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever actually made it to Oregon. Dysentery, drowning, killed by Indians, but I never made it all the way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bare concrete under the monkey bars at school.
Mothers and lengths of Ho Wheels track were a lethal combination.
Action movies.
Jungle bush giving way to landing strips.
BMX bikes.
So long as I was home before the street lights came on no one cared wheat I had done all day.
Arcades.
Hanging out at the mall.
Hair metal and grunge.

Good times.
View Quote

Holy Shit, it’s like a summary of my youth lived by someone else.

ETA:  GenX’er Born in 72. ;)
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Lol, you know what's funny about the Breakfast Club meme?  Half of those actors - Estevez, Nelson, and Sheedy - are Boomers.

Gen Xers can't even meme correctly.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Xennials" - micro-generation between 1977 and 1983
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1981 is Gen X, 1982 is millennial.

interdasting

being born in '80 puts my ass smack the fuck in the middle of that, whatever it might be
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Born at the start of 79. GenX here... fuck you all I dont give a shit.

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You know, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever actually made it to Oregon. Dysentery, drowning, killed by Indians, but I never made it all the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:On the other hand, I did have an NES, and died of dysentery more than a few times on the old Apple IIe at school.  

Rafting the Columbia River is where the excitement was!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was in that fucking thread... I had the Stephen Hayes instructional books Vol 1 & 3, plus “Ninja Secrets of Invisibility”

What I learned from those books has stayed with me for life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

where in the world is carmen san diego was the better game

there, i said it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep. '78 here. I don't care what anyone says. When I wasn't working on a construction site for my Dad I was running around the neighborhood with a 5" hunting knife on my belt in the late 80's. I had free roam of several miles including the James River as long as I didn't cross the main 4 lane road.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Gen x
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What was that show on NBC where the old man carried the briefcase for of throwing stars?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That has me stumped ??
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Proud 1973 Gen X'er here.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

wrong son, so wrong 1979 is last of the best Gen 1980 is millennial all fucking day long.  I was there and saw the divide first hand.  it's plain as day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wrong son, so wrong 1979 is last of the best Gen 1980 is millennial all fucking day long.  I was there and saw the divide first hand.  it's plain as day.

I was born in 80.  I ain't a fuckin millennial.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Oregon Trail generation. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif

Lol, we all died of dysentery.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 80s were awesome. As a matter of fact up until y2k things were pretty cool. Sometime after that things started to darken.
View Quote

Some time after that....I believe you're referring to 9/11/01.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No stupid food allergies.

No zero tolerance at schools (we were actually encouraged to solve our own problems. With violence in the case of bullies)
Fucking hair metal!

No pads or helmets to ride bikes and skateboards. We survived.

We all though very highly of our country and our freedom and beat the shit out of any sissy who dared to speak against it.

Our dads snuck us beers.

We didn't think we were special and unique snowflakes who deserved a trophy for waking up that morning. We actually felt the need to work hard and practice in we were to EARN one.

Ninja weapons were super popular and you could buy them out of magazines.
View Quote

Brought a tear to my eye that did..
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That has me stumped ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has me stumped ??

Excaliber?

Born 71, Graduated 89
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gen X class of 69
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Gen Xer of '74 vintage here.  Got to taste the 70's and live the 80's....although I pretty much missed 'the best part' as previously said, but still hit puberty in the midst of 80's chicks, and porn, so I got that going for me, which is nice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wrong.

I have nothing in common with someone born in 1990 and later.

I didn't have computer until I was 17 years old.

I didn't have a cellphone until I was 19.

I spent most of my childhood playing outside, exploring, and building stuff or breaking stuff.

I grew up on He-Man, Transformers, and Reagan as President.

WTF are you babbling about?
View Quote
Was your first skateboard narrow and pointed, or was it wide with a round nose and have a ramped tail?
Did you start off with the candy lucky strikes?
Could you walk into the store and buy your own smokes and beer?
Did your gf's bike have a long ass seat?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gen X'er checking in...

Ass whippin' with Hot Wheel tracks
Drank from the hose
Played outside until the street lights came on
No bike helmets
No seat belts
Realistic toy guns
Steel playground equipment over concrete
Eating whatever was put in front of you (or starving)

Great time to be a kid.  
View Quote
We used to roam around the city in platoon sized groups with those realistic toy guns "shooting" at everything that's moved and no one gave a shit , hell the cops would just "shoot" back with fingers guns
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

A generation that coined the phrase... Zero Fucks Left to Give

We expected the world would have gotten blown up by now...  never thought we were the ones that would end up doing it.

Guess it makes sense though, The boomers are just waiting out their last days, the millennials think they can fucking save everyone, and Gen Z wants to help pull the trigger while wearing a clown suit.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Excaliber?

Born 71, Graduated 89
View Quote

I remember this Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm ok with this. Being born in 81, I claim GenX. If that's not plausible, the fine, I'll be a xennial... anything to not be classified as a dirty millenial.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Remember having a B/W Tv
Summers were spent fishing at the creek or fooling around in the woods with BB guns or building forts.
If you wanted something,  you had to work to earn it, not just given to you.
Evel Knievel,  SWAT, GI Joe, Adam-12
View Quote

Exactly! Good times!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Born in 1980.
I am definitely within the gen x camp.

I don't relate to millenials and share the cultural experiences of the 80s.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

HOFFRITZ was the name, and expensive shitty knives was the game!

I was born in '75, but I was the youngest of my brothers (one boomer, one early gen x). I have always wished I was born a few years earlier. I always wanted to be a few years older so I could have enjoyed the 80's at the end of my teen years instead of my early teens. It really was the best decade. Even as a teenager, the 80's was just plain fun. As an adult it was even more fun, but The amount of fun I had was limited to a few years at the end of the decade when I was in the front half of my teen years...

Although I will admit, I truly did enjoy the transition from the wild jungle to the landing strip, as that really caught on in the early 90's...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Established 1969

We had the coolest used cars in high school. Late 60's early 70's Camaro's, Chevelle's, Nova's, Dusters, Road Runners, Mustangs, you name it. 1500 bucks got you a cool car.

I miss those days.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That has me stumped
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has me stumped
I dunno if there was every really a chain .
It just seemed like every mall had a shop run by an Asian family that sold that shit ( to anyone no matter how young LOL)

Ours was called Asian Treasures , see another member here said the one he when to was called Eastern Arts
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I dunno if there was every really a chain .
It just seemed like every mall had a shop run by an Asian family that sold that shit ( to anyone no matter how young LOL)

Ours was called Asian Treasures , see another member here said the one he when to was called Eastern Arts
View Quote

I remember buying nunchucks, throwing stars and random shit but forgot where I bought it. Back then malls were popular. But I hung out in Japantoen in LA too. Surplus stores buying EDRL uniforms, knives and inert grenades too
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Must say I really dig all this retro synth stuff that's out now

GUNSHIP - Dark All Day (feat. Tim Cappello and Indiana) [Official Music Video]

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A Millennial once asked me if we had porn on the Internet in the "old days."

I explained how we would log into a service provider using our dial up analog lines and find alt.binaries on a Usenet server. After downloading all the text files associated with a specific picture, we would use UUDecode to convert the text files back to a graphic. Opening it, you'd finally see what you got, which was usually a shitty flatbed scan from a Playboy.

He just looked at me with his mouth open.  

Kids these days don't know how easy they got it.  
View Quote
We had porno mags, betamax, and scrambled cinemax in the later years. I actually got my ass busted hard after I ordered my first cable TV descrambler box.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Speak the Charm of Making!  That was the best King Arthur movie ever made.

Class of '88 checking in.  Born in '69.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Edge?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies, puts this generation in the time-frame of 1965 to 1984 in order to satisfy the premise that Boomers, Xers, and Millennials "cover equal 20-year age spans".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies, puts this generation in the time-frame of 1965 to 1984 in order to satisfy the premise that Boomers, Xers, and Millennials "cover equal 20-year age spans".

Completely ignorant of the actual reason why a generational time frame was initially established.

Typical millennial, trying to make reality fit your perception. Get the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Didn't we establish in an old thread that you are technically a Millennial?
View Quote

Lol oh HELL no
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top