Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes to this
From my understanding much of the castle is not finished. What you see on the tour is about it

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really cool place. Be sure to walk up and don't take the horse and carriage.  Make sure to go to the bridge up on the mountain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neuschwanstein. I'll be visiting it in September.

Really cool place. Be sure to walk up and don't take the horse and carriage.  Make sure to go to the bridge up on the mountain.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Went there a few years back. Neat, but touristy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
disregard pics didnt work
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

and after the rag heads take over they will destroy them all.
View Quote
There are two things that the Germans would probably spill blood over, one is their castles...the other is their bier.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
castles overseas are cool.

That's why. I got married in one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau right next door in the 80's.
Will try to find my pics.
View Quote

I would love to see your pics, and I'm sure others would too

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would like to have a free and totally unrestricted walk of the Vatican.
Nothing off limits.
View Quote

I did the Vatican tour AND toured this castle (along with the "smaller" castle across the street from this one) last September. Pretty amazing. Both tours are very rushed/pushed through however, don't expect to see anything unique compared to the other thousands of tourists. Still awesome. The views from neuschwanstein castle are breathtaking. It isn't actually completed. The Bavarian state ended up stopping king Ludwig midway, castle is still incomplete to this day. It really is a bizzare place though, even has a built in grotto/cave on one floor overlooking the valley.

We rented a car from Munich and drove out for the day. Wasn't a long ride and the Bavarian countryside is just about the most beautiful I've ever seen. Highly recommend.

Anyone who wants tips on Bavaria, Munich, Rome, Venice, Florence or Prague hit me up. Like I said, we just went last year and hit all those spots over 2 1/2 weeks. Also "happened" to be Oktoberfest when we were in Munich so any questions about that let me know. More than happy to share my recommendations. For what it's worth, we went on a pretty tight budget for a trip that size for 2 adults and still had a blast, didn't feel like we missed out on anything. So don't let money discourage you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Roof's too pointy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Going to try to invade a Polish castle later this evening... I have weakened her defenses considerably this past week with two attacks.  Wish me luck on another assault.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Not German, but this one is my favorite mansion for a father of the country.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Going to try to invade a Polish castle later this evening... I have weakened her defenses considerably this past week with two attacks.  Wish me luck on another assault.  

View Quote
March in backwards and tell her you're leaving....

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]

This is Cochem Castel. Really enjoyed the tour here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to visit this place, even though it's not German

http://bran-castle.com/
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can't swing a dead cat in Germany without hitting a castle, one of my favorites...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Heidelberg-Schlo%C3%9F.JPG

View Quote

I went there last September.

Edit: Can't seem to find any of the pics I took at the castle, but found one of the castle.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The guy who owned that castle was gay and had his throat slit or some shit at another one of his castles. Ive been there and you have to take a tour, no running around in secret passages.
View Quote

That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can't swing a dead cat in Germany without hitting a castle, one of my favorites...

View Quote

Heidelberg. Went there when I was younger and it was super cool to see the history. The town beneath it had great shops and good beer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Was Edinburgh for a couple of days for Christmas and Hogmanay this place was awesome and well used, it must have many secrets:

We also went to Stirling Castle while we there was awesome as well.  The Argyle Museum is there as well, insane amounts of military history.  Edinburgh Castle

The tower in the background is the William Wallace monument.

The Suffolk and Argyll Regimental museum was there as well, you guys would have complete geeked out.  My wife had to drag my son and I out of there.

The guys fought everyone and everything including Zulus and Nazis
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in Neuschwanstein years ago, along with two other of Ludwigs castles.  The castle is awesome, but the surrounding area is amazing.  All of Bavaria is great...  At least it was...
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Went to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau right next door in the 80's.
Will try to find my pics.

ETA:

Sorry for the spots. Lost a lot of pics due to flood.
This is in the small town at the base of Neuschwanstein.
You either took a ride up, or walked. We being Infantry, hoofed it.

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Stump701/media/Neu1_zpsf5sxoado.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Stump701/Neu1_zpsf5sxoado.jpg</a>

All kinds of trails around the castle. This is the back of the castle.

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Stump701/media/Neu2_zpsek19qf1e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Stump701/Neu2_zpsek19qf1e.jpg</a>

Buddy and I tried to get the money shot like in the OP, but there is no way on foot. They must rappel down for that one.

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Stump701/media/Neu3_zpsqpg9dorj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Stump701/Neu3_zpsqpg9dorj.jpg</a>

This is one of the King's bedrooms. Their were many. One had holes in the ceiling in which lanterns would be lit in the room above
to simulate the night sky when the King went to bed. This is also a postcard shot. They hated flash photography in the castle.

<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Stump701/media/Neu4_zpsyhzncdkp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/Stump701/Neu4_zpsyhzncdkp.jpg</a>

My pics from Hohenschwangau were not that great.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.  Incredible place

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]

You know, when I saw that picture online and started this thread I had no idea it was the model for the Disney castle

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are .mil, so you must be right.  I shall attempt to engage from the rear.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heidelberger Schloss? I've been there. Pretty neat for a classic medieval style castle that was somewhat modernized to a manor style. Big wine barrel in the basement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Go see it soon before Merkel repurposes it as a refugee shelter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Obviously not German engineering... you know they make the best stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much to the shock and horror of my at the time German girlfriend, I told her father the following joke.  This was in the 80's, and WWII wasn't that distant of a memory.

Q:How did Hitler invade Poland so easily?

A: He marched in backwards and told them he was leaving.

Dead silence for 30 seconds, all eyes on me like I just shit in the living room, then an uproar of laughter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bannerman Castle. . .Hudson River, just north of Cold Spring.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Been to neuschwanstein when I was a kid. Was really cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Some of the castles I visited last year:
View from Heidelberg castle

Festung Marienburg

Lorher Schloss

Top of Burg Rieneck (town I stayed in)

Mespelbrunn

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The stories that places like that have..

Where exactly is that one?
View Quote

Bavaria (Southern Germany) not too far from Munich.  Amazing place and a popular tourist attraction.  Also, if you're in Munich take a side trip to the Eagle's Nest (Hitler's Teahouse) at Obersalzberg in Berchtesgaden on the Austrian border.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm not sure where it is but it's called Neuschwanstein Castle.  I was just searching for images of German castles

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The stories that places like that have..

Where exactly is that one?

I'm not sure where it is but it's called Neuschwanstein Castle.  I was just searching for images of German castles

Inspiration for WDW castle.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Check out the suspension bridge out back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Isn't that the Bannerman Castle in upstate New York?  I believe an munitions cache blew up in the 1920s and it was never rebuilt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Some people know how to build a house!
View Quote

The owner was probably rich as fuck to have a castle like that built. Like a Warren Buffet or Bill Gates of the Middle Ages.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Got to go there while in th army back in the 80s .

Just beautiful .

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love to spend a week or so exploring the dungeons, basements, hidden passages and attics of a castle like this.

http://i.imgur.com/OgP39jJ.jpg

Just beautiful .

Ditto. I thought it was called Rodentburg Castle, but my Google-fu doesn't seem to match my memory. l But I remember it wasn't too far away from the Frankfurt/Hanau area, and they hold some sort of Renaissance Fair and Flugtag thing there in the spring. Got some pretty decent pictures somewhere. It was a blast.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Castle Eltz is fantastic, especially after hiking to it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ditto. I thought it was called Rodentburg Castle, but my Google-fu doesn't seem to match my memory. l But I remember it wasn't too far away from the Frankfurt/Hanau area, and they hold some sort of Renaissance Fair and Flugtag thing there in the spring. Got some pretty decent pictures somewhere. It was a blast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love to spend a week or so exploring the dungeons, basements, hidden passages and attics of a castle like this.

Just beautiful .

Rothenburg o.d. Tauber is a medieval city still surrounded by a wall. Cool place to visit about 90 miles from Frankfurt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a faux castle POS.  I've visited it.  Pretty in pictures but the real old castles are a lot more interesting to explore.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that castle looked familiar!  We actually climbed the mounrain. There's a little memorial cross at or near the top, I can't remember. I guess somebody fell or jumped. That castle is AMAZING! I've been to so many castles all over Europe they all kind of blend together. Is this the one with the huge hall of mirrors?
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#40]
That's a castle !

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Val D'Aosta is the place you need to go if you wanna visit many medieval castles in a small area.. They are everywhere
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Kind an old world charm about it

View Quote
That is Disneyland to me.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Beautiful, but not a "vinttage" medieval castle. I believe that one was built in the 1800's as a throwback.
View Quote
The guy who had it built did it to impress Richard Wagner.  I'm surprised it's not on a Cracked.com list of "cool shit built for stupid reasons."

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Nurburg Castle, built in 1166. It's in the town of Nurburg (how bout that) located inside the Nurburgring. I've been to the 'Ring twice, both times on a Monday. Wanted to visit the castle. Guess what day it's closed on? That's right, Mondays. If I'm ever lucky enough to make it back a third time I think I'll pick a different day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburg_Castle

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:46:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah yes, the castle of Ludwig the Mad, or more accurately King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Neuschwanstein is a beautiful castle!
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Beautiful, but not a "vinttage" medieval castle. I believe that one was built in the 1800's as a throwback.
View Quote

yup--purely a romantic house, not an actual fortification.  still gorgeous though.

hungary has some great castles.

i want a castle in montana.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mountain top castles: How do they get their water? Cisterns?
View Quote

cisterns and wells.  the latter was one of the biggest problems with hilltop/hillside fortifications.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Not sure how many dungeons and whatnot you'll be checking out. I think most all of those extra fancy looking castles are relatively recent builds mimicking actual fortification type castles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

and after the rag heads take over they will destroy them all.
View Quote
I, having declared myself Supreme Justice of the Galactic Court of The Human Race, having examined the evidence find the accused radical Islamic group known as ISIS and other various names Guilty of vile crimes against humanity by destruction of irreplaceable artifacts and other treasures of incalculable value. You are hereby sentenced to 72 hours of Anal sex overseen by a student of Vlad the Impaler,  Sentence to be administered in public in Mecca and televised on every channel. Good luck with those virgins.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Up until January of this year, we lived pretty much at the base of this Burg Colmberg, in Colmberg Bavaria.  It's not nearly as ornate as many of the others, but it's very old.  The earliest documents they have mention it in the 11th century, but the exact date of construction is unknown.  Now, it's a hotel and restaurant.  We've stayed a couple nights and it was awesome.

Schloss Lichtenstein is one of my favorites that we've toured.  They have an amazing collection of arms and armor.  After it's days as a manor house it was used as a hunting lodge for the family that owned it.  They also have an old mirror, that has a hole in it from an allied tank shell in WWII.

burg Harburg is an interesting tour too.  Unlike many of the decorative manor houses (like Neuschwanstein) it was a no-shit siege ready castle.  The tour takes you through and on top of the walls, complete with arrow slits, channels for boiling oil and these neat little wooden ball turrets where they had fortress guns mounted.  it's also the only tour I've been on so far that actually takes you through the dungeon and prison cells.  

We've moved to a much less castle-laden part of Bavaria, but I'm confident we'll find something around here.

(all pics shamelessly ripped from the web.  I've got better ones, including interior shots, on my comp at home if anyone is interested.)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top