[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy fucking shitbats.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok I wanna see that fuckin revolver out of the holster!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See the funny stock? Same deal

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7r1s7Emv21r9khx4o1_500.jpg

Eta-in proper HK fashion he has backwards bullets. Some use mags clamped backwards so the risk of loading an empty mag  is lessened.Also note he's carrying a wheel gun.Hamburg's MEK uses .357 686s.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't easily discount anything that GSG9 does

View Quote

That's what I was thinking, but then I remembered this is ARFCom, where everyone is a tactical master.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta-in proper HK fashion he has backwards bullets. Some use mags clamped backwards so the risk of loading an empty mag  is lessened.Also note he's carrying a wheel gun.Hamburg's MEK uses .357 686s.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7435/mek1106777b.jpg

http://www.ndr.de/regional/hamburg/mek135_v-contentgross.jpg

Wow. Face shields suck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It would be screwy to take a 50 yard shot with .45 anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, that's about the right height for an EOTech while wearing gas masks and ancillary gear.  

Yup

Edit:  I can tell you though that if they do things like they did about 15 years ago that they zero at around 10-15 yards IIRC. Which is all sorts of F'd up at the short/long change up. We had a GSG9 fanboy trainer on our team years ago that insisted the UMP's be zeroed at super short range. It was screwy o take a 50 yard shot.

why?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking, but then I remembered this is ARFCom, where everyone is a tactical master.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't easily discount anything that GSG9 does

pretty much my thoughts
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, that's about the right height for an EOTech while wearing gas masks and ancillary gear.  

Yup

Edit:  I can tell you though that if they do things like they did about 15 years ago that they zero at around 10-15 yards IIRC. Which is all sorts of F'd up at the short/long change up. We had a GSG9 fanboy trainer on our team years ago that insisted the UMP's be zeroed at super short range. It was screwy o take a 50 yard shot.

why?

Because he's derp.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

why?

Suboptimal weapon system platform for that range?

Did that sound tacticool enough?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never understood why more US agencies don't use those face shields... I'm sure the entry guys on our team would find those comforting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

why?

.45 has more then enough knock down at 50 yards. even more so considering its coming out of a longer bbl then a pistol
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow. Face shields suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7435/mek1106777b.jpg

http://www.ndr.de/regional/hamburg/mek135_v-contentgross.jpg

Wow. Face shields suck.

For the quick reaction type missions they run face shields aren't so bad...nor the heavy armor

Now patrolling downtown Baghdad in that shit for 10 hours would suck
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I'm gonna guess that's what the optic below the Eotech is for....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the point of the face shields anyways?

Can they stop even pistol bullets, or are they more for stopping shrapnel/bullet fragments?  And even then, it seems like the cumbersome nature of a face shield would negate its effectiveness at stopping bullet fragments.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Can they stop even pistol bullets, or are they more for stopping shrapnel/bullet fragments?  And even then, it seems like the cumbersome nature of a face shield would negate its effectiveness at stopping bullet fragments.
View Quote

From what I understand they are like level IIIA and pretty dammed tough, when you do raids you have to worry about ll sorts of fragments from rounds, flash , ect and those shields will stop pistol rounds ..Russians have something similar I believe

- they are pretty dammed thick and ballistic glass ain't much thicker than that in some applications
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From what I understand they are like level IIIA and pretty dammed tough, when you do raids you have to worry about ll sorts of fragments from rounds, flash , ect and those shields will stop pistol rounds ..Russians have something similar I believe

- they are pretty dammed thick and ballistic glass ain't much thicker than that in some applications
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I ever had to use one it would be my luck that the damned thing would fog up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It does not look like they have plates in those plate carriers.
View Quote

Rule #4: if there is the slightest chance you can scam out of having plates in, pull 'em

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I ever had to use one it would be my luck that the damned thing would fog up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered about these

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because he's derp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

why?

Because he's derp.

Pistol caliber at 50 yards.

Yep, I;m derp. Everyone is really smart to depend on a pistol caliber at 50 yards.

Don't mind me guys. I care about the science and practical application of rounds. Pretty boring stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd rather ditch the face shield and be able to shoot more effectively. To each their own though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep, I;m derp. Everyone is really smart to depend on a pistol caliber at 50 yards.

Don't mind me guys. I care about the science and practical application of rounds. Pretty boring stuff.
View Quote

with modern tech a rife caliber carbine is the better answer.

ETA: In my low speed high drag opinion
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I'm sure barrel length in a carbine boosts the performance a bit past pistol effectiveness - just a thought but yea fuck that
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
100 + yard shots are something  less than 1% of police shootings iirc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

Sounds like it would suck to get into a gunfight in Walmart or a big warehouse/industrial area where 100+ yard shots are possible with that setup

Much less.  A gun on our department hit a guy from around 40 yards, and that ranked fairly high up there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#27]
That laser? on the bottom of the revolver is... odd.

I'd love to know the reason behind that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where else would you put it?  Not like a 686 has a picatinny rail, and this way it still fits the holster.  It's their version of southern engineering.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg426/rangerjake82/image_zps4e3b8b4d.jpg
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg426/rangerjake82/image_zps2a3748ab.jpg

That's the outdated Altyn/Lynx helmet. Here's the newest one.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Do they wear those all the time or just for entry/ close quarters slaughter?

Seems like it would make hiding/blending into surroundings difficult with the sun glaring off of it..

ETA: Even Russians use American optics!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seems like it would make hiding/blending into surroundings difficult with the sun glaring off of it..

View Quote

Spetsgruppa Alfa doesn't. They love them some multicam.

I don't think GSG-9 does either. Mission dictates equipment.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/295037_520316564679196_1159193670_n.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/295037_520316564679196_1159193670_n.jpg

AR platform rifle and a PMag, what are the euros coming to
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Sounds like it would suck to get into a gunfight in Walmart or a big warehouse/industrial area where 100+ yard shots are possible with that setup

There's no question they are rare, but they do happen. Heck even a 50 yard shot is tricky with a retarded close zero. A 50 or 100 yard zero is a hell of a lot more effective and useful.

I understand the idea behind the close zero, but it sacrifices extended distance utility for a very marginal improvement at close range, which shouldn't be an issue if you properly train and apply holdovers.

With those 7-10-15 yard holdovers you're going to have a crazy variation at even 50-75 yards, and the reality is you'll probably be guessing the distance(real world versus square range) and probably be off by several inches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#34]
What I find funny is those helmets and most of that gear will end up in a pile and the GSG-9 guys will end up with an MP5K (if they are lucky), a Smith 686, some speed loaders, and a flashlight if they have to utilize a scrawl space, a wet wall, a tight basement access, or a similar tight environment.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

.45 has more then enough knock down at 50 yards. even more so considering its coming out of a longer bbl then a pistol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

I'm constantly amazed at how few people actually practice regularly at distance, much less do a walkback drill and see just far they can make hits.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There's no question they are rare, but they do happen. Heck even a 50 yard shot is tricky with a retarded close zero. A 50 or 100 yard zero is a hell of a lot more effective and useful.

I understand the idea behind the close zero, but it sacrifices extended distance utility for a very marginal improvement at close range, which shouldn't be an issue if you properly train and apply holdovers.

With those 7-10-15 yard holdovers you're going to have a crazy variation at even 50-75 yards, and the reality is you'll probably be guessing the distance(real world versus square range) and probably be off by several inches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

I had the chance to compete against SWAT Teams at a national match several years ago.  My civilian team destroyed most of them on 100-200 yard shooting because they were running extremely close range zeros. Of 7-15 yards.

Someone else in this thread mentioned specialization to their own detriment.  Extremely high bore off set or close range zeroes are perfect examples of that if they face a problem outside those specific parameters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm constantly amazed at how few people actually practice regularly at distance, much less do a walkback drill and see just far they can make hits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

I concur. It's fun to see how good you really are.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

If people would put in some range time and practice they would slam the man sized target at 50 yards or better with 9mm or larger. It isn't rocket science or a mythical feat of heroic  proportions. A factory gun, with proper sights, decent ammo, and a fairly competent shooter can make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?

I shot a match yesterday (because it is now tomorrow, not later tonight...), where one of the stages involved knocking down steel poppers at 40 yards. They were a little tricky to hit, because they weren't even chest width, but they consistently fell flat when shot. I know they are calibrated so they can be knocked over, but if my 9mm had enough oomph to knock over a hefty piece of steel, I'd feel relatively comfortable with 16 rounds of Golddot at that distance. If I can't get two chest shots out of 16 rounds at 40 yards, I need to reevaluate my practice.

Not to say a rifle wouldn't be better. It would obviously be more efficient and effective. I'm just saying a pistol can be used at that distance, and modern defensive ammunition helps with overall damage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where else would you put it?  Not like a 686 has a picatinny rail, and this way it still fits the holster.  It's their version of southern engineering.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bavarian Engineering.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I had the chance to compete against SWAT Teams at a national match several years ago.  My civilian team destroyed most of them on 100-200 yard shooting because they were running extremely close range zeros. Of 7-15 yards.

Someone else in this thread mentioned specialization to their own detriment.  Extremely high bore off set or close range zeroes are perfect examples of that if they face a problem outside those specific parameters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair 100-200 yards is almost always going to be sniper time, but those crazy close zeros start having problems at 30 yards, and that's totally realistic for tac teams.

Heck one of Pat's students dumped a mutt a few days ago across a motel courtyard in a 40 yard engagement, with a 7 yard zero he would have been 13 inches high!

Another interesting point is the guy illuminated the mutt with an EAG Fury, putting the lie to the notion that "200 lumens is plenty" and 500 will burn out your retinas!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I shot a match yesterday (because it is now tomorrow, not later tonight...), where one of the stages involved knocking down steel poppers at 40 yards. They were a little tricky to hit, because they weren't even chest width, but they consistently fell flat when shot. I know they are calibrated so they can be knocked over, but if my 9mm had enough oomph to knock over a hefty piece of steel, I'd feel relatively comfortable with 16 rounds of Golddot at that distance. If I can't get two chest shots out of 16 rounds at 40 yards, I need to reevaluate my practice.

Not to say a rifle wouldn't be better. It would obviously be more efficient and effective. I'm just saying a pistol can be used at that distance, and modern defensive ammunition helps with overall damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A rifle is by far a better choice, but sometimes you don't have one. Also it's a great confidence builder as well.

I always shoot at least 1 box with my G34 at 125 yards, do a couple strings at that distance and 25 feels like a chip shot.

I can make about 5-10% hits on a full size IPSC at 425 yards with the same gun, that's a completely absurd distance but it feels great when you connect.

If you don't push the limits you'll never learn how far you or your gear can go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Several years ago they sent a team here for the SWAT Nationals, I knew the sheriffs captain fairly well that was assigned to Shepard them around town, and I was a vendor at the event. I got to spend a bunch of time with them. They were all very laid back and fun to hang with. One of the fun events for the teams had them shooting skeet. They had never done it before, so we loaded up and went to my range on skeet night. The look on the old skeet Fudds faces was priceless when we showed up with them in full gear to practice. They did quite well. They kinda showed off a bit, while not shooting they spent their time doing push-ups and pull-ups. I got invited to sit at their table for the awards banquet and got lots of cool GSG-9 swag, also got given their left over Ruag ammo that they were not taking back.
View Quote

Been to two of those, got severely trashed with one or two of the GSG boys.  They like to party I'll tell you what!  They can run and shoot as well, shit hot they are.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, us Americans seem to do it just fine. The arm is braced, but shooting from the shield still sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revolver is for shield guy so he can brace the gun against the shield for extra stability. The slide of a semi auto won't cycle.

Well, us Americans seem to do it just fine. The arm is braced, but shooting from the shield still sucks.

The S&W model 327 TRR8 was born for an American agency.

I'm surprised the Germans aren't using them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg426/rangerjake82/image_zps4e3b8b4d.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg426/rangerjake82/image_zps2a3748ab.jpg
Tactical welding Bender shields!

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Sometimes the 'best' aren't. You have to realize what these guys do on a daily basis and understand what they are really experts in, and what they are not. They probably do their fair share of shooting, but they are likely not exposed to a plethora of different shooting techniques and theories, so they get locked into what their organization teaches, and they are likely quite good at that, but on the whole, lacking with respect to shooting. Not saying anything about their overall professionalism, or their PT-stud-ness, or their qualifications, but it's quite likely they don't shoot all that amazingly. That's just the nature of the game, I mean, you can't shoot like Jerry Miculek when your day job is to do PT and run around in gear. You are good at what you do, and you won't be the best at what you don't do everyday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Rule 1 from the Evil Overlord List:
My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass visors, not face-concealing ones.

-
Concerning the OP, the bent-stock MP5 seems to be a better setup:

He'd still be able to make shots at range since the sights aren't radically offset from the barrel.

But I guess it'd depend on the level of specialization the guys need.  I would think at some ranges that close with an EOTech/red dot like in OP, they'd be able to point shoot and it'd be faster and easier than messing with trying to acquire any type of sight picture.  But I suppose it'd depend what they were doing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ell, least the optic is placed in the right position...

As opposed to New York's finest...

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Silly%20People/NYPD-ESU.jpg

View Quote

That chap isn't NYPD.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to have to smack you for using the phrase "knock down."
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
A rifle is by far a better choice, but sometimes you don't have one. Also it's a great confidence builder as well.

I always shoot at least 1 box with my G34 at 125 yards, do a couple strings at that distance and 25 feels like a chip shot.

I can make about 5-10% hits on a full size IPSC at 425 yards with the same gun, that's a completely absurd distance but it feels great when you connect.

If you don't push the limits you'll never learn how far you or your gear can go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

425 yards?  That's a drop of around 35' at that range. You would not even be able to see the target, it would be obstructed by the pistol unless you are using a red dot.  Video or bullshit.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top