BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the holiday break is over and youtube is ramping it back up. This evening it started going straight to disable ad block. I'm back to watching on Brave in private mode with TOR.
View Quote

Same here.
I have ublock and forced an update and it is working fine again.

Link
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep.  They're blocking me on videos unless I allow ads.   Looks like I'm done w/ Youtube unless/until the ad blockers get ahead on this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the holiday break is over and youtube is ramping it back up. This evening it started going straight to disable ad block. I'm back to watching on Brave in private mode with TOR.

Yep.  They're blocking me on videos unless I allow ads.   Looks like I'm done w/ Youtube unless/until the ad blockers get ahead on this.

I just got cut off on Firefox/Ublock Origin. Uninstalled and reinstalled Ublock Origin (it's been easier to uninstall and reinstall) and back to watching Youtube.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have all the blockers and add on shit that's been mentioned in these threads, and they still will block you out after a time.
The only way to still use YT as well as block the ads is in a private window. You can log in as normal and watch what you want and can usually get 2 days before having to close out the window and re log in.

If you use a non private window they seem to cut you off much faster.
View Quote

You have to update your ublock filters if this happens. It just takes a second to click on the quick filters update icon in the filters settings page to do it manually. Ublock has been good at automatically updating as YouTube changes its scripts, but this time they were slow and that's why the ad restrictions re-appeared.

Another thing is YouTube will still show the ad restriction message if you are running both Ublock and Ghostery. You have to turn off Ghostery for YouTube and just let Ublock handle it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have to update your ublock filters if this happens. It just takes a second to click on the quick filters update icon in the filters settings page to do it manually. Ublock has been good at automatically updating as YouTube changes its scripts, but this time they were slow and that's why the ad restrictions re-appeared.

Another thing is YouTube will still show the ad restriction message if you are running both Ublock and Ghostery. You have to turn off Ghostery for YouTube and just let Ublock handle it.
View Quote

I did the manual update last night and it was back to working again. This was on Firefox.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I cleared all my browser data last night and logged back in.
Back to working this morning.
We'll see for how long.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have all the blockers and add on shit that's been mentioned in these threads, and they still will block you out after a time.
The only way to still use YT as well as block the ads is in a private window. You can log in as normal and watch what you want and can usually get 2 days before having to close out the window and re log in.

If you use a non private window they seem to cut you off much faster.

Say more about how to do this.  Think small word and crayon-level pictures.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I cleared all my browser data last night and logged back in.
Back to working this morning.
We'll see for how long.
View Quote

Mine lasts for a few days before I have to clear caches and cookies. Good habit anyways.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use brave and adblock. So far the only issue is that my homepage doesn't work but I can still search videos and scroll through my subscriptions.

The second youtube makes itself more difficult to use I will simply move completely over to rumble.
View Quote

same here, brave and adblock and I get the dreaded message unless I log out. Then it goes away
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The popup has been there since I posted this thread. The last few days there has been a countdown timer before you could click the X to close out the popup.
Last night I got the popup saying I have 3 videos left before youtube becomes blocked.

I downloaded brave last night and played around with the settings a little. Have not logged into youtube yet. I will try that tonight when I get home.
View Quote

Brave+adblock - no combo worked for me until I actually logged out from the youtube /gulag account. Then it started working.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
YT locked it down for me a few weeks ago. They block me even using Brave with nothing else, but I’ve played around with Adblock and Ublock settings.

One thing I found is I don’t get blocked if I open a video in a new private window. Guess it’s tying the block in to your login to some degree.  

Just last night I found I was able to block the block screen overlay elements using Ublock and uncover the video.
View Quote

That's because you are not logged in in the new window.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Firefox and AB+ for years and never seen such a message or a single ad on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Say more about how to do this.  Think small word and crayon-level pictures.  Thanks!
View Quote

@Merlin
Right click on the Ublock Origin icon(usually found on the right side of your address bar) and select "Options" from the drop down menu.
You can also go into your browser's "Settings Menu" - go to "Extensions" - Click "Details" in the Ublock Origin box - Then select "Extension Options" to get to the same "Options Menu."

That should open a window/menu similar to the image below-
1. Go to the "Filter Lists" tab
2. Make sure the "auto-update filter lists" box is checked
3. Click on "Purge(clear) all caches" button
4. Click on "Update Now" button

It should work after you do this. If it doesn't, completely closing the browser and re-opening it would be the next thing I tried, if something funky happened with the update.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Just delete the youtube cookies periodically!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same. I grew up on broadcast TV and radio. I accept ads for free entertainment easily enough.

However, I once put music on YT while working on a project, and I wasn't able to 'skip ad' for a while. It took about 15 minutes before I could get to my phone. I discovered that the ad was 42 minutes long. I got to listen to one song (so... maybe 3-1/2 minutes) before YT stuck in an ad that was 42 fucking minutes. That's the day I set out on my quest to avoid the ads. I have found a way to use YouTube completely ad-free now. If they get ahead of it and find a way to force their ads on me, I'll just stop using it.
View Quote

On a mobile device, youtube works great from inside the Free Adblock browser.  The youtube app sucks so bad it should be deleted completely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Merlin
Right click on the Ublock Origin icon(usually found on the right side of your address bar) and select "Options" from the drop down menu.
You can also go into your browser's "Settings Menu" - go to "Extensions" - Click "Details" in the Ublock Origin box - Then select "Extension Options" to get to the same "Options Menu."

It should work after you do this. If it doesn't, completely closing the browser and re-opening it would be the next thing I tried, if something funky happened with the update.

http://i.imgur.com/QqxLDzcl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Merlin

http://i.imgur.com/QqxLDzcl.jpg
Well FML:  No wonder I couldn't figure out how to update uBlock origin; I didn't have it as extension for some reason.  I have it for Microsoft Edge (and Firefox) but I guess I never needed it for Brave.

Added it and checked the Filters List like you showed above.  The only thing I had to change was to check the 2nd box (Suspend Network Activity...).

I should be GTG now.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
It's odd.  They really hammer me with ads if I watch on my TV or phone, but I rarely see any while watching on a Kindle Fire tablet.  I'll get the normal pre-video ads, but nothing during the video itself.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top