Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2022 8:40:44 PM EDT
Reuters always disables their video comments.  Pity.

I kinda thought someone might immediately toss a curveball question out to show they didn't pick the panel based on expertise.  Took the technical difficulty route.

ETA: Start at 6:12

LIVE: NASA scientists discuss the James Webb Telescope mission
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No timestamp no care
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Was that 2 dot 42 meters?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No timestamp no care
View Quote

Shit, my bad .  Start at 6:12.  I was eating dinner looking for something to watch about L2 insertion today and got a good laugh after a bit into it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in that long video is the faceplant?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk about a deer in the headlights.  Looked like she was about to cry lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
lel

Quoted:
Where in that long video is the faceplant?
View Quote

6:12
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Cringeworthy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I laughed at the sign language lady waiting impatiently for her to start talking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay so the first question is "how long does it take the telescope to orbit around the L2 point"
The answer from the girl who seems to be the operations "expert" is... "The audio cut out... [disconnected]"
The answer from the girl who is the astronomer seems to be talking around what a lagrange point is and orbits around the sun and stuff.

I would expect that very few people know the answer to that specific question, and the answer is largely irrelevant.  Any orbit about a lagrange point will be very small and the time it takes to complete will be fairly short and not relevant to anything but docking with that craft.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that ecco homo signing the dialogue for the hearing impaired?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay so the first question is "how long does it take the telescope to orbit around the L2 point"
The answer from the girl who seems to be the operations "expert" is... "The audio cut out... [disconnected]"
The answer from the girl who is the astronomer seems to be talking around what a lagrange point is and orbits around the sun and stuff.

I would expect that very few people know the answer to that specific question, and the answer is largely irrelevant.  Any orbit about a lagrange point will be very small and the time it takes to complete will be fairly short and not relevant to anything but docking with that craft.
View Quote

Just put one of the actual engineers on?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I like how she realizes she has no idea, asks for the question again, panics, then disconnects from a live broadcast lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would not be “inclusive” of them…

Any of the staff/fellow engineers working systems could rattle off those answer in detail beyond anything you actually want to hear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dr. Science Redhead says that it's a big orbit that takes a long time
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Muhahahahah.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My boss does this

Any question she can’t answer sorry I can’t hear you internet issues then drops off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I started watching it live and could only take a few minutes before I shut it off and took my dog on a four-mile hike.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Omg she’s back at around 15 minutes and can’t even answer a simple fucking question that I bet any man would have stored just out of general interest.

‘How long does the signal take to get back to earth”

Ffs woman have a fucking crib sheets.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The sign language lady doesn’t know the sign for chocking on a dick.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Omg she's back at around 15 minutes and can't even answer a simple fucking question that I bet any man would have stored just out of general interest.

'How long does the signal take to get back to earth"

View Quote
lol. it's like she had no idea there would be questions
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Omg she’s back at around 15 minutes and can’t even answer a simple fucking question that I bet any man would have stored just out of general interest.

View Quote

Is that actually one of the questions she can't answer?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
That was brutal.

The second expert's answer was "huge" orbit
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there aren’t any women engineers that can field tech questions, so fucking be it.  Put a tech nerd on alongside queen climate change, she should be enough to fill the wokeness quota
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#25]
23 days
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaannndd they assume that everyone is deaf.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#27]
All the guys who didn’t get the job because of their sex should troll them hard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All the guys who didn’t get the job because of their sex should troll them hard.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Brutal. Rest assured she was the best candidate for the position though. When you realize this is happening across all industries, from the pilot that flies you somewhere to the people responsible for big decisions with huge technical or financial implications, it's just a matter of time before the cracks start showing everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Affirmative action power hour !!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Six month orbital period with a correction burn every three weeks
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have a link to Man Power Science Hour? I'd really like to hear the answer to that question.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Roughly ten seconds round trip
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Brutal. Rest assured she was the best candidate for the position though. When you realize this is happening across all industries, from the pilot that flies you somewhere to the people responsible for big decisions with huge technical or financial implications, it's just a matter of time before the cracks start showing everywhere.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone have a link to Man Power Science Hour? I'd really like to hear the answer to that question.
View Quote

That's called history.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's called history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's called history.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

A war in Ukraine might be the domino for a whole new kind of shit show.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw it at my last job.  Two wholly unqualified cunts took over a division and ruined plenty of trade relationships.  Sisterhood Uber Alles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I lol'd, but I didn't watch the whole thing. So I'm guessing that the answer should be common knowledge for an engineer on a project like this. Like asking your cardiologist how much blood is pumped out of your heart with each beat and he has to leave the room to go look it up?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Affirmative action power hour !!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But she IS an actual engineer!  She works with the engineering crew, and they do lots of work with her!  We just won't mention that most of their work is cleaning up her messes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well hell, I guess I could have just looked it up.  I didn't think they'd have it so well illustrated.  My guesstimate about the period was pretty wrong, but maybe that makes it easier to calculate the corrections.

This is a great video from the site:
Animation: The James Webb Space Telescope's Orbit

site: https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/orbit.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A war in Ukraine might be the domino for a whole new kind of shit show.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
This plus all the diversity hires ruin it for the ones that are actually good at their jobs and earned them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Did they ever say what those two women do on the program? I think the redhead is a scientist of some sort and seemed able to answer a bunch of other questions but at least had some energy about being there. I can't figure out what the girl on the right does but at the very least she just should not be in front of a camera as she just seemed to choke on a lot of questions which tells me she's probably has a pretty narrow role on the program. I've worked with some smart people that are just terrible interviews. That's why on a lot of the bigger DoD companies i've been in there's only a few people that are authorized to interact with media like this.

I guess my point is not everyone on a program that big is an SME on EVERYTHING. And if they got slapped with doing that show at the last minute they might not have had time to prep or have materials handy. Those women could have just been material scientists or something that don't have exposure to answer a lot of those questions coming off of social media like a Chief Scientist, Chief Engineer or Chief Architect would hopefully be able to. Hopefully they're not the leads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I lol'd, but I didn't watch the whole thing. So I'm guessing that the answer should be common knowledge for an engineer on a project like this. Like asking your cardiologist how much blood is pumped out of your heart with each beat and he has to leave the room to go look it up?
View Quote

When I was on a contracts and acquisition team pretty much everybody, not an engineer among them, could rattle off facts on their components and the whole system. And we just did paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

She’s a people person, she deals with customers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Gurl Power!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a supporter of a less hateful type of STEM science. It's why we have to throw out everything and rebuild it back better. One not so concerned with facts and more driven by participation and consensus. Because facts are formed in consensus.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top