Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/25/2016 6:40:49 PM EDT
The coffee grinder thread got me thinking.

I use to enjoy freshly ground and brewed coffee.  Heck, at one point I had an expresso maker with frother so I could have cappuccino.  I loved it.  I would grind the beans (I did not have a burr grinder) and set the maker to brew every morning when my alarm went off.

That coffee maker died when I was first introduced to a Keurig.  The ease won me over.  I have been using Keurig machines for the past couple of years.  I was fine with it until I started drinking more good coffee house brews in the shop across from my office.

What is a good burr grinder and good coffee maker?  I am not interested in a french press, but you can talk me out of that.  I would prefer something that I could set up and program the night before (not sure on whether the beans are good sitting ground all night).

At any rate, talk to me about finally getting back to good coffee at home.  The Keurig?  I am over it.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Clever dripper. 

Benefit of contact time of French press, benefit of easy cleanup and filtering to prevent sludge in your cup. 
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer a good old percolator myself.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Technivorm Mochamaster for drip,
Aeropress or French Press for manual, Chemex for pourover
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
20 Dollar French press, $20 coffee grinder, $20 electric kettle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No experience with the Mochamaster, but otherwise spot on. I use the Aeropress a lot for single cups. French Press if I need to make multiple cups. I don't have a Chemex, but I've used one and it's good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I vote this. I really like my french press
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Breville Burr grinder and a Technivorm Moccamaster with a thermal carafe for my morning coffee.  

It's been a good setup for the past four years and I'd buy the same thing again if anything needed to be replaced.  But, there aren't any automatic features with the brewer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually preferred the coffee I made with a burr grinder, fresh roasted beans and a french press.  But I hated cleaning up the inevitable messes I made.  One morning I dumped the beans in the grinder, hit the start button and realized 10 seconds later that the receptacle the grinds go into wasn't on it.  Jesus what a mess, it sprayed grounds halfway across the kitchen.  The wife about had a cow.  

I'm way better off with the Keurig.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
another vote for the mochamaster.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're interested in hand grinding, there's a new grinder on the market. 

I have one and it is much better than my Hario. 

Hind grinder
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Bunn
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just sayin' there beta boys.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Beta my ass. It makes a shitty pot of coffee. 
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
The Rancillio grinder is what you seek, mate it to the Silvia espresso machine and you're set. Otherwise a French Press is also a great option, you can get by using the grinder at the grocery store if that's all you want to do.

Rocky
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I am no coffee expert, usually just a percolator and buying some whole coffee beans to grind with a hand grinder. My g/f had a keurig and recently ditched it for a ninja coffee bar. I was skeptical but after putting my own ground coffee blend in it and hitting the rich blend button. It is a cup of heaven for me and she can do her peppermint mocha froth stuff or whatever it is.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Bunn velocity brew.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then you must have shit for taste....Best coffee ever....Puts hair on your chest.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bunn velocity brew.
View Quote

^^
This, for when I want a whole pot.

Normally, French Press for the morning.

Dunkin for when I forget/run late taking my daughter to school.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

glass Pyrex on eBay but be prepared to spend $50.  The best part is that coffee doesn't taste like shitty plastic like the electronic makers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a Remington iCoffee and whatever burr grinder I got for a decent price. Some aspects of a French press, about the same effort as a regular coffee maker.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm no help OP, I'm using a Norelco 12 drip coffee maker from the 70's.  It still works and is a 1200W coffee maker.
It is able to get the water to the necessary 200+ degrees which is why I'm still using it.
Someday it is going to give up the ghost, so I'm in for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Consumer Reports rated coffee makers, and believe it or not, the $15.00 Mr. Coffee machine topped all the others. I've been using this and grinding my own Colombian beans in a Mr. Coffee grinder, and I make some awesome coffee. You can quickly overthink this thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks.  I have used a french press in the past and am not saying no to the concept.  But it has to be worth it.

Any recommendations on a good french press?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I've bought so many different percolators, drip makers and presses and for my money the Aero press does the best job. Love it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bunn velocity brew.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Clever Dripper FTMFW
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard good things about the aeropress.

Although to be honest ... I'm still on the Keurig myself, although I almost always use reusable filters vs k-cups.  (and lately I've been grinding my own for fresher coffee too)
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe you're looking for something more complicated but we upgraded to a Wilbur Curtis pour over a couple of months ago. The water stays hot so it's always ready for use. We've tried every coffee under the sun but have not been able to match the simplicity and taste/quality of DD coffee. 

spelling
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#31]
  1. Shoot lock off wallet
  2. Buy Technivorm Moccamaster
  3. There is NO THIRD THING!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Grind your own and get a french press.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a Bodum conicle burr grinder.
It is one of the few that havea glass container so static buildup is less of an issue.
Downside is timer is calabrated in seconds not cups.
Also I have a coffee maker with a thermal carafe, keeps the coffee hot without cooking it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had a Bodum glass press for nearly a decade now. I enjoy the steeped coffee over any drip. It's a lot better than the double wall SS one I bought from Amazon for camping that can hear metal shavings shaking around in the non-vacuum space.

Bought a crank burr grinder for camping too, not that consistent. Neither was first electric I bought with variable grind settings for $50. I prefer pulsing in the cheaper electric wing-blade grinder.

P.S. I do one full press in the morning and put the remaining 3 cups in a thermos.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Painful to buy, but we now have over ten years on our  Technivorm Moccamaster. I'm told that many are in service much longer. Regards
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Grinding coffee machine combo

Here you go. Programmable grinder/coffee maker.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I use a FP, Moka pot, Cory vacuum pots and the ChemEx pour over carafe and the latter can be had for about $55, with 100 of their thicker paper filters.

It makes a great cup of coffee and isn't that hard to clean up.

My grinder is a Rancilio Rocky flat burr grinder, but that's close to $350 these days.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This

glass Pyrex on eBay but be prepared to spend $50.  The best part is that coffee doesn't taste like shitty plastic like the electronic makers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I found one at goodwill for $10. Hell of a score IMO. Something soothing about having a pot of coffee like grandma and grandpa used to make it.

I have a french press and a Bunn as well, but sometimes I have to go back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The coffee grinder thread got me thinking.

I use to enjoy freshly ground and brewed coffee.  Heck, at one point I had an expresso maker with frother so I could have cappuccino.  I loved it.  I would grind the beans (I did not have a burr grinder) and set the maker to brew every morning when my alarm went off.

That coffee maker died when I was first introduced to a Keurig.  The ease won me over.  I have been using Keurig machines for the past couple of years.  I was fine with it until I started drinking more good coffee house brews in the shop across from my office.

What is a good burr grinder and good coffee maker?  I am not interested in a french press, but you can talk me out of that.  I would prefer something that I could set up and program the night before (not sure on whether the beans are good sitting ground all night).

At any rate, talk to me about finally getting back to good coffee at home.  The Keurig?  I am over it.

Thanks,

Corey
View Quote

This is what we did after out third expresso machine died:

For about $34.00 we bought a Bialetti 6-Cup Mokka Expresso.

NO electric heaters.

NO Pumps.

Just scoop in coffee, add water to lower chamber and heat on stove top for about 6 minutes.

Comes out great!

Just add water to make "Americano Style" coffee.

You can get spare rubber gaskets and other parts online and they make about a dozen sizes
and colors.

You will LOVE it!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Just bought the other half a Breville espresso machine 870ish...  I hope this thing comes with a 25 yr old barista too!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#42]
If you want really good coffee, give up on the overnight thing.  Grind the beans a minute or two before you brew them.  

Something like this would be a fantastic set-up

Or this less expensive set-up
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#43]
+ =
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bunn
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Consumer Reports rated coffee makers, and believe it or not, the $15.00 Mr. Coffee machine topped all the others. I've been using this and grinding my own Colombian beans in a Mr. Coffee grinder, and I make some awesome coffee. You can quickly overthink this thing.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a french press and a small "single shot" Kuerig. I only drink coffee from the Kuerig that I grind myself from a local roaster and put into one of the reusable cups. I use a pretty fine grind.
It's not 100% ideal but it makes a decent cup with quality beans, for my taste. I drink it black.

I like french press okay but only really the first pour after the plunge so it's like the rest is wasted...

Alot of snobs love to hate the Kuerig (my dad won't even try my method) - it's mostly the shitty coffee cups that are to blame - but it's served me well and my wife likes the shitty cups since it's mostly cream and sugar for her in the end anyways. It's just a drip machine afterall.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the best answer.  If you travel get a jet oil and have coffee anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#49]
This has been my go to for a LOOONG time. Mr. Coffee linky! Or just foogle it.  Mr. Coffee 4 cup.  I've never paid more than $15.00 for one and it makes a great cup of coffee.  If i'm not in a hurry I'll use my pour over or my aero press and if I'm REALLY not in a hurry I pull out the Bialetti Moka.  But for day in and day out---> Mr. Coffee.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#50]
This should not be difficult. Nearly any coffee maker should stand up well against that weak tasting k cup coffee.  Google best coffee makers and shop by budget. You can get a decent one pretty affordably. Notice in most lists of best coffee makes the Keurig is no where to be found.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top