Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2016 10:02:32 PM EDT
Got my wife's go kart from the lake house to work on for my son. The machine is straight, just needs some love.

The engine is a Tecumseh OH55. It turns over, but something sounds sloppy on the inside, the recoil starter is missing, and the engine cover is damaged where whatever goofball yanked the recoil starter off jacked it up.

Now, I'm a retro guy and have been in more than a few engines in my life. At first, I was excited about the prospect of tearing this engine down and making a little more power, but I soon found that OEM and NOS parts are hard to come by and won't get easier. I've also learned that the OHH series isn't a very robust base engine.

Sooooo.... By the time I buy all the parts OEM and aftermarket to rebuild, I can buy a new engine. And then some.

My question is, what engine should I look for that will have good power, be a strong baseline for a future engine build, and will carry both manufacturer and aftermarket parts support into the future?

It's a horizontal shaft single banger. Air cooled of course, prefer a 4 stroke. An electric start option would be cool, but not a deal breaker. I'd like to start around 9 HP but need it to be tough enough to support 15+ in the future (cam, ported head, nitrous, etc.)

A quick look yielded the Kohler Command Pro and a couple of Briggs options, but I'm open to anything.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Start looking for wrecked motorcycles?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea but your son is going to have a blast.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Gixxer 750 motor or nothing!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. How hard could it be?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Motorcycle engine would work great
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Kohler command is what's on my mower, I like it and all. I would go Honda or Honda knockoff with aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go Briggs, no question about it.  There is a huge aftermarket for karting applications.  No other engines are going to have as much aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
</thread>
View Quote

Seconded.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI, depending on the age of your son you may want to limit the amount of throttle availabe at first, and up his health and life insurance.  When we were kids we stuffed a yamaha 125 on a "dingo" go cart and 80 MPH was easy........

Speed
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
798 chevy big block
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Go post this and pics of the kart on DIYkarting forum. You'll get lots of help there.

What engine depends on a lot of factors: how big the kart is (an actual old school kart or a mini sideXside wanna be), weight, intended use, tire size, clutch type, etc

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Find a wrecked Hyabusa and do a motor/tranny swap. All is good after that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Hard to go wrong with a harbor freight predator 212cc
Lots of upgrade parts, some people are pulling over 30 hp at 9k rpm out of this motor
Throw a tav2 torq converter on it and you are around 300 total cash

Cars and cameras you tube channel has tons of great vids on exactly this
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Harbor freight has damn solid clones of Honda engines. I have a boat powered by their 420cc Predator, which is a clone of a 390 Honda. Solid engine. Lots of aftermarket support. Widely used in karts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Harbor freight Predator , There is a huge aftermarket and they are raced everywhere . A Briggs is obsolete . Pull it apart and clean it (some have funk from assembly) add a header and a cam
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Honda GX, Briggs Vanguard, or Kohler Command Pro.  Those are the major commercial grade engines but the single cylinders are all based on the GX design.  They will all last a very, very long time left stock.  Kohlers are good but they probably have the least amount of aftermarket part options and factory parts are more expensive than Honda and Briggs.

I'd suggest just getting a Harbor Freight Predator if you plan on hot rodding it.  They are inexpensive and you can get tons of aftermarket performance parts.  It won't be such a wallet hit if you blow it up and/or if your son does something to it when he gets older.

If it were me, I'd either get a new Predator or watch craigslist for a used name brand twin cylinder (if you're son won't kill himself).
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Gixxer 750 motor or nothing!
View Quote

turbo Busa of GTFO!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
rob an engine from a snowmobile. They already have a horizontal shaft and should have more than enough power to turn some wheels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#22]
LS-3 with a single turbo , the kid is probably too young for a twin turbo
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'd go Briggs, no question about it.  There is a huge aftermarket for karting applications.  No other engines are going to have as much aftermarket support.
View Quote
^^^^ practical answer.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The harbor freight 6.5hp predator seems to be surprisingly decent for that type of thing, they make larger but I don't know if the aftermarket follows the other engines as closely.  I had to modify one for a different project, the parts were easy to find but kind of expensive as they were all kart market parts.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Why don't you just start with a 5-6 hp engine -- that should be good for 40-50mph.  I would be surprised if the original engine was more the 3-3.5 hp.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Engine? As in 1?

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Honda ATV that came from TSC of all places (I bought it used a few years ago) and it has been great. It has a Honda GX390 engine which is a little over 11HP. My machine is a bit heavy and so it might be more engine than you need for a go-kart. It is a 4 stroke horizontal though. But yeah, I'd buy it again all day long.  It pushes me fast enough I know that.  YMMV.

Honda small engines
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hayabusa  

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
You're gonna need a torque convertor.  a bell clutch just wont be able to take that kind of power.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lots of upgrade parts, some people are pulling over 30 hp at 9k rpm out of this motor

View Quote

Since I posted, this is what I'm leaning toward.
$120 for the engine, $159 for an upgraded intake, exhaust, carb jet, flywheel, and fan.

More or less a fun toy for me until he is old enough for it. As he grows, if he is still interested, we might move up to a "real" kart.

I'm loving the 'Busa swap idea, though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LS-3 with a single turbo , the kid is probably too young for a twin turbo
View Quote

Meh, laggy. Positive displacement blower is where it's at.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why don't you just start with a 5-6 hp engine -- that should be good for 40-50mph.  I would be surprised if the original engine was more the 3-3.5 hp.
View Quote

Original Tecky was 5.5. The Predator 212 (best option for this POS buggy) is 6.5. With the hop-up kit I want and a TAV2, it's probably run out around 30 MPH depending on tire size. Plenty fast for my old ass and for my boy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a go cart under construction in my shop, this^ is my motor choice. Hard to beat for $120
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

$120 for the engine, $159 for an upgraded intake, exhaust, carb jet, flywheel, and fan.

More or less a fun toy for me until he is old enough for it. As he grows, if he is still interested, we might move up to a "real" kart.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engines go on sale for $99, look for a coupon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Go with a predator motor from harbor fright. We use them on minibike builds.
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html
If you go with the 212cc, there are ton of after market parts. I would keep it mostly stock at first, get a header, a cone filter/adapter, bigger jets and etube (#38-42 jets works well), by-pass the governor, do this by simply taking a zip plastic wire tie (2), cut the tie to the size of the governor spring coiled area, snip the head of tie #2, zip it on cut #1, so it effectively keeps the spring from working making it solid. Install a mild cam and some #18 valve springs (2) which helps with valve float at high RPM. Doing these simple mods will more than double the original HP.
Me and my daughter built 3 mini-bikes using these motors and they go pretty fast (about 45-50) and thats about as fast as I want to go on something like that with no suspension. We even added hydralic brakes (disks) from motorcycles because the stock mech brakes don't cut it at those speeds.
Go to "old mini bike.com" tons of info there on these engines.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator/
https://www.ombwarehouse.com/
http://www.arcracing.com/
http://www.smallenginecams.com/
http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/1819.htm

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Predator 212 is in the back seat of the truck.

Will order the hop up kit and connecting rod some time next week. The buggy itself needs some work which I will do in the mean time. I'll also try to start taking some photos so you all can follow along.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Will order the hop up kit and connecting rod some time next week. The buggy itself needs some work which I will do in the mean time. I'll also try to start taking some photos so you all can follow along.
View Quote

Awesome, keep us updated!
my mower with this motor and torq converter, she does 40 if I gear it up

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#40]

If your engine doubles as your roll bar, and not because it's super tall, you might want to rethink your overall design.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#41]
OST.

In for the pictures
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Pulse jet Or go home
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s199.photobucket.com/user/Lorduss/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjcgagsqt.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa40/Lorduss/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjcgagsqt.jpeg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s199.photobucket.com/user/Lorduss/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjcgagsqt.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa40/Lorduss/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjcgagsqt.jpeg</a>

Racing mowers are the awesomest display of redneck cool ever!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
chainsaw engine
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Slightly off topic, does anyone have a better/easier way to post photos than photobucket? I do 99% of my internetting on an iPhone and PB just sucks for posting on ARF quickly and efficiently.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Pics!
Day we picked it up from the lake along with an old TV and some fishin' rods.

Tecumseh OH55
The clanking was in the clutch when I rolled the engine over by hand. It needs the engine cover straightened out and a new recoil starter. Along with a new plug, oil change, and a clean carb I believe she will run fine. Instead of burning time and money getting it running, I'll look and see if there are any Tecumseh nerds that wants it cheap for parts or a "retro" rebuild. Rather that than scrap a half decent engine.

Impossible to see, but the guts inside the Comet clutch were rotting and falling out. It can be rebuilt, buy I'm likely going to throw it away. New Comet clutches are cheap and I'm going to go with a torque converter.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#47]
There are two versions of the Predator 212. An "OLD" style with a wedge head, dished piston and stamped valve cover, and a "NEW" style with a hemi head, cast valve cover, and flat top piston. My engine is the old style, but I'm not too mad about it. Story is, the wedge head castings are more robust. Yes, the hemi head has better airflow, but my past engine experience tells me that in this case, I prefer the thinner head gasket and smaller chamber.

Here is the buggy at home. The engine and seat is now removed.

Buggy features an engine kill switch. My goal is to incorporate an engine kill switch along with a battery, and an engine start switch at some point in the future. I have heard that there is a retrofit kit to put a Honda GX engine starter on the Predator. But that's big time back burner.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Dual chainsaw motors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dual chainsaw motors.
View Quote

Reading is for faggots, amirite?

Moving on... More photos and advice requests forthcoming.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#50]
You probably know this already, but they really like an oil change after the first half hour or so.  Comes out like mercury.  Lots of shavings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top