Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Pay off the one with the highest interest rates first. I tend to let some debt linger on lower rate cards if I know I am going to pull a loan though. It seems that every time I pay my cards 100$ each month my score steadily declines.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get rid of them. The hammer is gonna fall on credit markets. People are tapped out.
View Quote

What exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get rid of them. The hammer is gonna fall on credit markets. People are tapped out.

No one knows what it means but its provocative.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

So in other words, a baseless and pointless sentiment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gets the people GOING.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Will paying off the smaller balances first motivate you after giving you a sense of accomplishment? This is the idea behind the snowball method.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont buy in to all these debt to credit ratio's and being picky with how you do things.

I got my first credit card when I was in college. I used it for everything, gas, groceries, books.
I paid it off in full every week when everything posted.
I still do the same thing today.

It became force of habbit. I dont spend money I dont have and I pay off everything in full every week.
Some people say that's over the top but my credit score is 847 so I must be doing something right.
View Quote

there is certainly a debt to credit ratio which affects your credit score.

Many of the ideas posed in this thread on how to be picky and game it are complete fucking nonsense. You want low utilization, lot's of old open accounts with very low balance, no late payments. Do that alone and your credit score will be just fine.

The only time that score really matters is when you want a loan for a home or business or something where taking debt with collateral assets actually makes sense. for those the difference between a 750 and an 850 or something isn't even enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Credit score is a measure how you manage credit. If you pay off a card you are no longer using that credit even if it's available.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would pay off most of the balance on each card, but not pay them off totally. Leave a small balance on each of the 4, with the highest balance on the lowest APR card, and the lowest balance on the highest APR card... Keep about 20% of your total limit on the four cards. I don't mind a little credit myself.
View Quote

there is no reason to do this whatsoever.

pay them all off in full before the due date. Never pay credit card interest. If you must carry a balance on a card apply for a new one with 0% intro apr.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top