Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure all of those people in NK or soviet Russia that starved to death would've gladly traded a pound of gold for a pound of flour.

Precious metals are fine and dandy. I don't think they're a great investment vehicle, and they're at the bottom of my list when it comes to "things to buy before I die of raiders and/or dysentery.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supply and demand.
View Quote

and manipulation.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Mildly off topic...... But a great read of "Faction" that is a pretty good (scary) depiction of where we may be heading when the dollar collapses.....

PATRIOTS: A novel of survival the coming collapse
by: James Rawles
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I love how gold will be the means of barter, but before we make this transaction let me break out my acid scale and graduated cylinder to make sure its not fake. Which reminds me I should buy some to the Chinese tungsten filled coins for my preps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean when your iPhone battery is dead.

I love how gold will be the means of barter, but before we make this transaction let me break out my acid scale and graduated cylinder to make sure its not fake. Which reminds me I should buy some to the Chinese tungsten filled coins for my preps.

Pretty much.

Saying you're "preserving wealth" by trusting your fellow man to value what you value (especially in an economic collapse scenario), is insane.  May as well have been beanie babies or fidget spinners at that point, cause those krugs will have just as much use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup, gold is the boomers folly. What can you buy with bar of gold exactly?

My friend bought a house and car with bitcoin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Yup, gold is the boomers folly. What can you buy with bar of gold exactly?

My friend bought a house and car with bitcoin.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's almost like gold has no intrinsic value and its price is as arbitrary as anything else that only has value because people believe it does.
View Quote

Yeah? Well let's see you hop in a time machine with your bytecoins and try to barter with Caesar.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mildly off topic...... But a great read of "Faction" that is a pretty good (scary) depiction of where we may be heading when the dollar collapses.....

PATRIOTS: A novel of survival the coming collapse
by: James Rawles
View Quote

William devane's target audience, the Rawles Readers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People have not yet figured things out because of Gamestop, Robinhood, and sweet free Washington cash.
View Quote
History disagrees.

OP, welcome the dips and take advantage of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can't eat gold. You can't shoot people with gold.
View Quote

You can’t eat anything but food and you can’t shoot anyone with anything but bullets either. I could replace “gold” in your statement with any other thing on the planet.

That is a retarded statement.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Crypto has been going down too.
View Quote

Everyone is selling their crypto to buy GME.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I learned from all of this gold/silver will only mean something to the aliens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gold is a shiny, heavy, yellow metal with little practical value.  It pays no dividends.  The market is limited.  It relies on someone wanting to buy it at spot +/-.  Guess what?  When prices are high and you want to sell, the dealer also wants to sell and doesn't want to buy.  It is historically a pretty poor investment.  Prices are volatile, exactly the opposite of its claimed value as a hedge against inflation.

In SHTF, if someone came to me asking to trade his gold for my ammo, gasoline, whatever, I say sure.  I will give you a box of 9mm or 5 gals. of gas for your Krugerrand.

That said, everyone should have a little.  I prefer junk silver US coins TBH, it will never be worth less than the coin value.  But it's bulky.
View Quote

This is where you are wrong . I have yet to see a dealer not buying even with prices up over the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Except...It's consolidating...Not dropping...I don't believe we've hit the afterburners yet for the year.    Fully expect $150k+ BTC end of year.  Might be a short term drop to $20k-$25k.  Then, Yellen will proclaim BTC clear for takeoff in a couple months, while the other altcoins are determined illegal securities.  BTC Zip.  Zoom.  Moon.  With huge institutional investment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How does a guy go about buying physical gold and silver?
View Quote

I have a local dealer. Also Apmex and a couple of other big online dealers
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure who William Devane is...... But if you say so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
USD debts are still in excess of money created while the velocity of money is dropping. The demand for dollars to pay down debt is the issue(even though a bunch of that demand is theoretically being postponed by executive actions related to rent and mortgage payments. It will get even worse when the market rolls over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can shoot people with gold. It would be expensive. Gold also is still used in electronics. It can be used as fillings in your teeth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Except...It's consolidating...Not dropping...I don't believe we've hit the afterburners yet for the year.    Fully expect $150k+ BTC end of year.  Might be a short term drop to $20k-$25k.  Then, Yellen will proclaim BTC clear for takeoff in a couple months, while the other altcoins are determined illegal securities.  BTC Zip.  Zoom.  Moon.  With huge institutional investment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bitcoin is your religion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Saying you're "preserving wealth" by trusting your fellow man to value what you value (especially in an economic collapse scenario), is insane.  May as well have been beanie babies or fidget spinners at that point, cause those krugs will have just as much use.
View Quote

Foreign governments the world over don’t maintain reserves of beanie babies or fidget spinners.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Ok....Should I know who this is for some reason?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Therin lies the problem.  Sure, it has "value"... but how would one exactly use it in a transaction nowadays?
View Quote

Here is an example. Wtb ad for an ar upper offering gold in trade . I took in 2ea 1920s gold dollars and a 1/4 ounce us mint gold for the upper. Right now that gold alone is worth$642 in melt . The dollars have intrinsic value above melt .
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money is everyone's religion in the west with a twist of Christian influence.  We live our life by it typically.  How much money you have determines much about how you live.   Inflation is theft and immoral.  BTC fixes that.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The price is being manipulated.
View Quote

This. I expect we'll also see a "huge drop" in precious metals shortly before they go through the roof. Price manipulation has been a thing for many years now, don't trust it. Economics always wins in the end.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Foreign governments the world over don’t maintain reserves of beanie babies or fidget spinners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

The economy crashes.  No bread in the bread lines.  Neighbors cooking his dog over a burning tire.  Your kid's goldfish is looking mighty scrumptious.  

There's nothing around that recognizes your wealth. Your latest trade for a oz was for a half empty tank of propane, ironically your neighbor got a loaf of sourdough for one of his pmags.  Sweet, Switzerland likes gold, but you're stuck in Topeka, and shit sucks for you.

How exactly is a kurg preserving your wealth in this situation?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold
View Quote

This. Money that would have flowed into gold is now moving to crypto.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nevermind, jokes aren't funny if you have to explain it
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The economy crashes.  No bread in the bread lines.  Neighbors cooking his dog over a burning tire.  Your kid's goldfish is looking mighty scrumptious.  

There's nothing around that recognizes your wealth. Your latest trade for a oz was for a half empty tank of propane, ironically your neighbor got a loaf of sourdough for one of his pmags.  Sweet, Switzerland likes gold, but you're stuck in Topeka, and shit sucks for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why in a full shit hits the fan masturbatory scenario of EMPs or whatever else you conjure up it doesn't matter if you hold gold, BTC, cash, or ass...Well...maybe ass still has a value as you sell yours for a one pound bag of flour.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]

$1 Moon, here we come!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because people realize shiny trinkets won't do shit for you if the dollar really collapses.
View Quote

Thats my guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is where you are wrong . I have yet to see a dealer not buying even with prices up over the last 2 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gold is a shiny, heavy, yellow metal with little practical value.  It pays no dividends.  The market is limited.  It relies on someone wanting to buy it at spot +/-.  Guess what?  When prices are high and you want to sell, the dealer also wants to sell and doesn't want to buy.  It is historically a pretty poor investment.  Prices are volatile, exactly the opposite of its claimed value as a hedge against inflation.

In SHTF, if someone came to me asking to trade his gold for my ammo, gasoline, whatever, I say sure.  I will give you a box of 9mm or 5 gals. of gas for your Krugerrand.

That said, everyone should have a little.  I prefer junk silver US coins TBH, it will never be worth less than the coin value.  But it's bulky.

I think dealers are more inclined to buy when prices are increasing: higher demand (lower supply) allows dealers to justify higher commissions as a percentage of the spot price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Like, say...a dollar?
View Quote

you didn't see me say otherwise did you?  

Gold is just another currency.  It MAY retain value better than paper money.  It may not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Nobody is twisting anyone's arms to buy gold silver bullets guns knives sex robots or whatever ever you think is worth money. EMP will cancel this argument and more. I will keep my little bit of metal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah? Well let's see you hop in a time machine with your bytecoins and try to barter with Caesar.
View Quote

What in the fuck about my statement about no intrinsic worth leads you to think I believe anything different about bitcoins?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh come on now, you would rather have $20,000 in paper money than my little tin box?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335547/DB8490FC-D9E1-4B7A-B8CA-6E5282C381D5-1798354.jpg
View Quote
My dad left me a bunch of silver. The average person has no idea how to deal with it... Now pork belly  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#40]
In a properly functioning market, with money being printed at the rate it is, gold would be 2x-4x higher than it is currently...at minimum.

Ever see the movie The Big Short?  Michael Burre saw the trend and recognized the bubble.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suppose that explains why in the final days of every major conflict or collapse of government over the last 10,000 years, everyone has discarded their worthless gold but instead grabbed their goldfish and half empty tanks of propane before they ran off into the hills.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would much rather have $20k in a well diversified portfolio than shiny yellow metal coins that no one will take in exchange for anything I actually want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on now, you would rather have $20,000 in paper money than my little tin box?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335547/DB8490FC-D9E1-4B7A-B8CA-6E5282C381D5-1798354.jpg

I would much rather have $20k in a well diversified portfolio than shiny yellow metal coins that no one will take in exchange for anything I actually want.

Get both
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Like, say...a dollar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's almost like gold has no intrinsic value and its price is as arbitrary as anything else that only has value because people believe it does.

Like, say...a dollar?

I lol'd at that one. I don't have a horse in this race I'm i've never invested in gold and just reached a point in my life in general where I'm comfortable to diversify my assets and invest in things.

In all honesty I know this is a terrible time to be uneducated and investing so lately I've just been buying things that align with my hobbie which seems relevant with everything going on.

That being said and of course I'm no expert on these things but cash is literally paper and ours is likely backed by nothing at this point. On top of the fact they keep printing it and in my area they're raising the minimum wage I don't expect that to last long.

Crypto currency is popular and on the up and up but I would suspect its future is largely up to the direction of the world in the next couple of years. If they got the reset they wanted I doubt it'll be bitcoin itll be scissor coin or whatever Universal income bs credit chip they come up with or some shit.

Lastly I keep seeing people say gold is a worthless hunk of metal. Do people not realize gold is a conductor used in electronics. Never mind the fact that its held value for human history. Again I'm not educated on these things but the fact that its used in electronics alone would make me suspect its worth more than paper and some shit your computer says you own?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I suppose that explains why in the final days of every major conflict or collapse of government over the last 10,000 years, everyone has discarded their worthless gold but instead grabbed their goldfish and half empty tanks of propane before they ran off into the hills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they traded all their tangible wealth/gold for a moldy biscuit.

Butbutbut wealth preservation, amiright?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Sell Gold, buy AMMO
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Get junk silver dimes - in a pinch you can load them into 12 guage shotshells and use them on Werewolves and Vampires.
View Quote

You sure don’t post much but when you do it’s worth listening to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Biy NOW.  This is the opertunity of a lifetime.

Lots of Big finance institutions are getting into crypto now because they see where it is heading. Some say they crashed it so they can buy in low. Either way, add it to your portfolios.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The very same people that are saying gold and silver are worthless are the very same people that can't buy squat when the computers crash and their debit cards don't work. Because they also say carrying cash is stupid also.

Trust me I've seen this happen first hand. Here in Florida after hurricanes and phone lines and power are out. Cell phones don't work too sometimes in certain areas.

No cash your screwed. To say the samething about a currency that's been used throughout known history.

Well OK then.

People flip out when everything stops working. I saw a few become violent because they could not buy food, water or gas because plastic does not work.

Gold, silver and even cash does work. In the real world. Especially during emergencies. I'd take gold and silver in a heart beat as a currency as do some other places will. Privately own of coarse. Wal-Mart won't even take cash when power goes out to be fair. LOL by ma and pop stores will.

I do not buy gold or silver as an investment. I invest other ways. I do buy gold and silver though. As a physical asset
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#49]
'TO THE MOON!'
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy disagrees

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top