Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the good fortune of drinking ample amounts of Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar and Krusovice in Prague.  A pint of beer was about a buck.  It was glorious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's about 80% duration (4 weeks is a short lager), 20% temperature. In my experience with making lager beers (which do include pilsners), I have to hog up my fermentation fridge for 4-6 weeks. If I have room in the beer fridge (bar equipment, 7' wide), I can finish off the last few weeks in there. Compare that to the blonde ale that I make at roughly the same ABV which takes five days to complete...

Temperature only equates to cost. You can make an ale with little or no temperature control for several months out of the year because ales have a slightly wider range of temperatures to be fermented at, plus 65°-70° F is a pretty normal temperature to keep your facility at for comfort, which happens to be the temperature most ale yeasts operate at optimal efficiency. Lager yeasts typically require 45°-55° temperatures for a duration, plus two temperature changes for rests and flocculation. This requires the beer fermentation chamber to be chilled. When doing thousands of gallons at a time, this gets expensive, especially during the summer.

This is partially where seasonal brews come about. In older times when magic temperature control wasn't so available, lagers were created in colder months, often served in the spring and early summer. Ales were brewed while it was warm, served in later summer, fall and early winter.

Edit; Forgot to recommend a beer. If you can find Base Camp stuff, it's all lagers. They do make a pilsner too. I was pretty happy with Firestone Walker Hoppy PIls too.

I gotta call the distributors in the morning to see what they have in kegs for me. It's time to swap out a few of my empties.
View Quote

So what you are saying is that it takes time to make a better beer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I had the good fortune of drinking ample amounts of Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar and Krusovice in Prague. A pint of beer was about a buck. It was glorious.
View Quote

What you describe could be considered a place where unicorns romp and frolic while leprechauns hand out the gold from their own pots of gold.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Budvar was the first beer I ever actually liked.  Had a friend that went to Czechoslovakia and brought a couple bottles back.

That's kind of a cool story that involves spies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really? I asked that same question to a few micro brewers. They said it wasn't the temp requirements, it was the amount of time that it would occupy a fermentation tank and that it would cost to much to sell to make a ROI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More expensive to make.  Not a lot of micro brews do it due to temperature requirements during brewing.

Really? I asked that same question to a few micro brewers. They said it wasn't the temp requirements, it was the amount of time that it would occupy a fermentation tank and that it would cost to much to sell to make a ROI.

It's both.  Longer time in the tanks, and higher costs to keep it cool.   Then there is the common perception with American consumers that pilsners should be a less expensive beer, so now you have a beer that took a long time and alot of electricity to make.  Even though the ingredients are relatively cheap, the total cost per batch is high.   If you put it out there for $35-$40 a case it's not going to move.  

It's also a very small niche market for a good american pilsner.  Most of the people who want a pilsner want it cheap.  Those that want a good pilsner usually already have a favorite old European brand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if Victory Prima Pils is available out in WA but this is my go to Pilsner in PA. A little hoppy for the style but a good drinker none the less.

It is 648 pm and I am now drinking one!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Budvar was the first beer I ever actually liked.  Had a friend that went to Czechoslovakia and brought a couple bottles back.

That's kind of a cool story that involves spies.
View Quote

Is that the story where you met Snowleopard?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about 80% duration (4 weeks is a short lager), 20% temperature. In my experience with making lager beers (which do include pilsners), I have to hog up my fermentation fridge for 4-6 weeks. If I have room in the beer fridge (bar equipment, 7' wide), I can finish off the last few weeks in there. Compare that to the blonde ale that I make at roughly the same ABV which takes five days to complete...

Temperature only equates to cost. You can make an ale with little or no temperature control for several months out of the year because ales have a slightly wider range of temperatures to be fermented at, plus 65°-70° F is a pretty normal temperature to keep your facility at for comfort, which happens to be the temperature most ale yeasts operate at optimal efficiency. Lager yeasts typically require 45°-55° temperatures for a duration, plus two temperature changes for rests and flocculation. This requires the beer fermentation chamber to be chilled. When doing thousands of gallons at a time, this gets expensive, especially during the summer.

This is partially where seasonal brews come about. In older times when magic temperature control wasn't so available, lagers were created in colder months, often served in the spring and early summer. Ales were brewed while it was warm, served in later summer, fall and early winter.

Edit; Forgot to recommend a beer. If you can find Base Camp stuff, it's all lagers. They do make a pilsner too. I was pretty happy with Firestone Walker Hoppy PIls too.

I gotta call the distributors in the morning to see what they have in kegs for me. It's time to swap out a few of my empties.

"Better" depends on the style you prefer.  Lagers are usually very light body beers that can show signs of imperfection easily.  Ales are usually full body beers that appeal to those with more desire for taste.  

I brew all sorts of stuff,  so my particular tastes aren't necessarily applicable,  but when I buy commercial beers they are typically well hopped IPAs over 8% ABV.  I prefer the ale yeasts because they provide results faster, without much sacrifice to most of the styles I brew (Ie;  IPA and stouts have no benefit to lager yeasts,  cider has very little,  the hard root beer I made would have zero change as well).  

I find myself only wanting lagers/pilsners when the weather is very warm and I'm still trying to accomplish things.  

Your taste may differ.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Victory Prima Pils.  Excellent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is good too if you can find it
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.6XkB0XwrlUkQU8GLb%2bCM4A&pid=15.1
View Quote

My favorite right there. Used to drink a lot of it in Germany under its original label as Budvar, the real Budweiser.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]

BURN THE HERATIC!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/confluence-blue-corn-lager/213752/

I make my own version:

Batch Size: 10.75 gal  Style: American Pilsner (2C)
Boil Size: 12.31 gal    Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 3.4 SRM    Equipment: (15Gal/70L) - AG
Bitterness: 20.0 IBUs     Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.058 (14.3° P)    Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Full Body
Est FG: 1.020 SG (5.0° P)   Fermentation: Lager, Two stage
ABV: 5.0%

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 2
4 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3
2.0 oz Galena [10.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 4
4 pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast 5
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer weltenburger kloster pils.  There is krombacher, weihenstephaner, jever, warsteiner, eku, etc., I think hofbrauhaus has a pils also.  

Kloster Andechs has some good stuff also for summer-

kloster andechs
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#16]

My favorite beer of all time is Sam Adams Noble Pils, but it's getting impossible to find in Charlotte. Total Wine won't even let me special order it any more. I was in Atlanta last weekend and bought the 4 cases I found at a liquor store.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I like our local 801 Pilsner by Uintah Brewing.  It's really good and much better than all those you listed... But I drink crappy beer on purpose, because I like it. So I may not be your best source.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm another that likes lighter beers;  pilsners, lagers and some lighter ales.

I pop into the local places that do micro brews and growlers and they almost never have anything I want.  Nearly everything they have is some super hopped IPA.  Even the ones they claim to not be heavily hopped taste like a grapefruit to me.  I'm getting to the point I'm going to have to brew my own ales.

I also like wheat beers in the summer.  Yea I like them fruited.

You guys laugh at the Miller lite posted here, but it really is a easily found and balanced beer.  It's certainly not the most interesting but it's clean and common. I buy it (only in glass).   I can also drink a Tecate (bottle only, the cans suck) if it's fresh.  

Speaking of fresh, any beer that is fresh beats a stale better brand.   I'd rather have a fresh Tecate than an old Stella Artois.  Stella is great beer but damn if it doesn't seem to be skunked at the supermarkets more often than not around here.  I can't abide a skunked Stella.  My lowly tecate burned me with skunk the last time I bought it at the beer store.   Hmm maybe I'll pick up some bohemia lager if they have it in the walk in today.   If not the noble pils will work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Checkvar, Radegast and Pilsner Urquell for me.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Prima Pils is my go-to commercial Pilsner. Generally available nationwide....

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1010/
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not especially a fan of Pils, but I'll drink a Pilsner Urquell from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Lagunitas should be available most everywhere, and theirs is a fine representation of the style.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I pop into the local places that do micro brews and growlers and they almost never have anything I want.  Nearly everything they have is some super hopped IPA.  Even the ones they claim to not be heavily hopped taste like a grapefruit to me.  I'm getting to the point I'm going to have to brew my own ales.
View Quote

When you make your first IPA, make it to only about 30 IBUs (or more if you want bitter) of simco in the boil, hit it with 2 oz of amarillo at flame-out, and dry hop with another oz of amarillo. You will have none of the citrus flavor you dislike, and instead with have a apricot type aroma.

It's the breed of hop, not the necessarily the amount, that gives you the grapefruit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Pillsner Urquell fresh off the tap in Prague is so good it should be a McDonalds milkshake flavor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When you make your first IPA, make it to only about 30 IBUs (or more if you want bitter) of simco in the boil, hit it with 2 oz of amarillo at flame-out, and dry hop with another oz of amarillo. You will have none of the citrus flavor you dislike, and instead with have a apricot type aroma.

It's the breed of hop, not the necessarily the amount, that gives you the grapefruit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to know! thanks!!

I have come to the conclusion it's all just personal genetics and sensitivity/perception to certain flavors; like the soapy cilantro taste for some.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pillsner Urquell fresh off the tap in Prague is so good it should be a McDonalds milkshake flavor.
View Quote

All that shit is amazing fresh. The Czechs know beer.

I don't understand those who drink it imported.

Or, for that matter, those who drink shit like Stella imported or not.

Funny thing, Pilsner Urquel allegedly ushered in a revolution in beer that defined the next 150 years.

It's ironic to me that the modern microbrewery movement is so often rooted in rejection of the clean, consistent, and refreshing taste that they perfected.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Breweries like Bud, Miller, and Coors are incredibly efficient at what they do. I know a brewer at AB in Fort Collins.  He says that it takes 21 days grain to packaging which is much longer than an ale.  They brew a higher gravity beer and then dilute down to around 4.2% ABV (or 3.2% for gas stations & groceries in CO) for packaging.  This allows their yield per time and space to be as high as possible.

They also have incredible purchasing power for raw materials.  

So it's not really expensive for them to make it...Quite the contrary.  From a raw material and labor perspective, ounce for ounce their finished, diluted beer is some of the cheapest to manufacture in the world.

It's expensive when scaled down to a small brewery scale.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More expensive to make.  Not a lot of micro brews do it due to temperature requirements during brewing.

Funny thing is beers like Budweiser are the same deal. The beer is so expensive to make that most craft brewers can't do it if they wanted to.

Breweries like Bud, Miller, and Coors are incredibly efficient at what they do. I know a brewer at AB in Fort Collins.  He says that it takes 21 days grain to packaging which is much longer than an ale.  They brew a higher gravity beer and then dilute down to around 4.2% ABV (or 3.2% for gas stations & groceries in CO) for packaging.  This allows their yield per time and space to be as high as possible.

They also have incredible purchasing power for raw materials.  

So it's not really expensive for them to make it...Quite the contrary.  From a raw material and labor perspective, ounce for ounce their finished, diluted beer is some of the cheapest to manufacture in the world.

It's expensive when scaled down to a small brewery scale.

They also use equipment and automation that is not accessible (or desirable) for smaller brewers.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it takes time to make a good lager.  Plenty of excellent English ales finish quick.  Weissebeir is pretty quick, too.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Funny thing, Pilsner Urquel allegedly ushered in a revolution in beer that defined the next 150 years.

It's ironic to me that the modern microbrewery movement is so often rooted in rejection of the clean, consistent, and refreshing taste that they perfected.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pilsner Urquell started fast-shipping cold, and packaging in boxes that exclude light.  It's 95% the beer it is "over there."  I don't really drink any other imported pilsners here.

ETA:  As to rejection, Pilsner and pale lagers are extremely with popular with Texas craft brewers.  Real Ale's Hans' Pils is my goto beer when my kegs run dry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Stella, almost any Chech, German, etc.

I haven't found a decent American pilsner.
View Quote

You haven't been looking. Stella is Bud Lite for the import crowd.

Victory Prima Pils
Smuttynose Vunderbar
Great Lakes Wright Pils
Dogfish Head My Antonia

OP needs to go to a beer store owned by an enthusiast, not to the beer section of a grocery store.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pilsner Urquell started fast-shipping cold, and packaging in boxes that exclude light.  It's 95% the beer it is "over there."  I don't really drink any other imported pilsners here.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've caught my interest.  I might have to give it a try.

I guess it's easy for me to dismiss imports when I get to taste stuff at the source so often, so I've never really been compelled to keep trying - especially while living do close to Devil's Backbone Brewery - which must have been named to distract from the reality it was put here by God Himself.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you in Seattle?

Gordon Biersch
600 Pine Street Suite 401
Seattle, WA 98101
206-405-4205

Go and have the Czech Pils; fresh, unskunked and on tap. Get a growler to take home too.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why is it so hard to find a good pilsner beer? I'm not talking Budweiser either. I am talking the Bitburger, Pils Urquell's , etc. Every where I go shelves are loaded with ciders, IPA's, double IPA's, hef's and the sort but finding a good pilsner is like finding a needle in a haystack.

List your favorite pilsners.

View Quote

Lagers require significantly more time and money between the larger yeast pitches, lower temperature requirements, and longer time in the tanks. They are also in direct head to head competition with every macro-brew, as well as the import brands from the countries that arguably make the best lagers in the world.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I guess it's easy for me to dismiss imports when I get to taste stuff at the source so often, so I've never really been compelled to keep trying - especially while living do close to Devil's Backbone Brewery - which must have been named to distract from the reality it was put here by God Himself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They started doing it when I was mid-way through lagering a clone.  Bastards.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style.  Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon.  Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

Stella!  From the country in Europe.  Ice cold in a chilled glass.

Not from Oregon you fucktard!
View Quote

A friend is a big Stella fan. I tried one once. It was one of the very few beers I've ever had that was so disgusting I couldn't finish it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A friend is a big Stella fan. I tried one once. It was one of the very few beers I've ever had that was so disgusting I couldn't finish it.
View Quote

For me, that honor goes to this bullshit right here:

Not a pilsner (or even a lager for that matter), but still.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't had many cream ales, but that's because the ones I had were 1. supposedly good examples of the style 2. total crap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I say pilsner I mean Bavarian/Chech style.  Pilsner Uriquios, Stella, HoffBrau, etc.

I'm going to skull fuck the next waiter that brings me "Belgian pilsner" made in Oregon.  Tastes like a tea of oatmeal, lawnmower clipping and copper pennies. Always served too warm just to reinforce the piss quality.

The people who decry the major American brands and yet champion Stella are proof that some things are really just about image and marketing.  It's the "I want to look international and sophisticated" alternative to the Shiner and Yuengling crowds.

It might be shit beer, damnit, but it's shit beer with the right geographical heritage for me!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought this on the recommendation of an arfcommer overseas, who's name escapes me:

Crisp, clean and...absolutely skunked. It was fucking terrible.

I don't think certain beers ship well. It's probably worse when they sit on the shelf for God knows how long here in the states, before some idiot like me finally says "Eh, what the hell" and buys it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I love this thread.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

- especially while living do close to Devil's Backbone Brewery - which must have been named to distract from the reality it was put here by God Himself.

Their Cattywompus sounds delicious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
- especially while living do close to Devil's Backbone Brewery - which must have been named to distract from the reality it was put here by God Himself.

Everything they make is delicious.

Even in my current "I'm so sick of the overdose of hops" mood, I have to admit even their IPA is a paragon of the style.  Have no real desire to try the Cattywompus, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The people who decry the major American brands and yet champion Stella are proof that some things are really just about image and marketing.  It's the "I want to look international and sophisticated" alternative to the Shiner and Yuengling crowds.

It might be shit beer, damnit, but it's shit beer with the right geographical heritage for me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You nailed it on the head there.  People's loyalty to Bud, Miller, Coors, and other adjunct lagers is 99% emotional rather than flavor or quality.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Grab pretty much any German Pils and you're good to go. Quenches the thirst after a long day

Hofbraeu Muenchen
Warsteiner
Bitburger
Spaten
Hasseroeder
Koestritzer
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Grab pretty much any German Pils and you're good to go. Quenches the thirst after a long day

Hofbraeu Muenchen
Warsteiner
Bitburger
Spaten
Hasseroeder
Koestritzer
View Quote

I was going to say I can't be the only person here that drinks Warsteiner.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Stiegl from Austria is pretty tasty as well

for some reason, the AAFES shoppette in Andersen AFB Guam had a good supply of Munich Gold, Hoffbrau, and Czechvar on my last "deployment" out there
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had the good fortune of drinking ample amounts of Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar and Krusovice in Prague.  A pint of beer was about a buck.  It was glorious.
View Quote

This. I spent a week in Prague two summers ago and "it was glorious"…the beer, the food, the women  didn't want to leave…but my wife made me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This. I spent a week in Prague two summers ago and "it was glorious"…the beer, the food, the women  didn't want to leave…but my wife made me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time, get out to the countryside.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I was lucky enough to be assigned to the 22TFS at Bitburg AB from 1976 to 1978. I wound up moving off base to a small apartment just two blocks from the Bitburger brewery. I probably drank more Bitburger Pils than water during that two-year period.

Only one pilsener matched it, in my opinion. I discovered it while TDY to a German base far to the north, Jever. The beer was, of course, Jever Pils.

The Bitburger you can occasionally find here in the states is an abomination. It's pasteurized, and then suffers from repeated heating and cooling during shipment, and languishes in warehouses for weeks, if not months. It tastes like cold dishwater compared to the real thing fresh out the gasthaus tap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#50]

I remember  Jever from when I visited a friend of mine who was from north of Hamburg back in 1988. It was really   good beer.

My friend's dad drank Holstein  Pils and always  had several   cases on hand. It was good  stuff too.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top