Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the deal with guys like him, McCain and a host of others? Old vets and FUDD seemed pretty equivocal in that era. I don't get it at all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John Glenn is a true American hero.  He went up into the unknown, when the odds for survival where unknown, where the risks were unknown, where the country looked to him as a brave warrior.  We were in our infancy in understanding space, and the technology to get us there.  There was a lot of uncertainty during that time and he stepped up and answered the call.  

His political views aside, his service and willingness to put his life on the line is something to marvel at.  
View Quote

A monkey went up there first.

Really think about it for a second.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's the deal with guys like him, McCain and a host of others? Old vets and FUDD seemed pretty equivocal in that era. I don't get it at all.
View Quote

The appearance of moral superiority?  Hell if I know.  Maybe that's the reason why people appear to have a hard on for these types.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Lot of angry Christians in this this thread.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
John Glenn is a true American hero.  He went up into the unknown, when the odds for survival where unknown, where the risks were unknown, where the country looked to him as a brave warrior.  We were in our infancy in understanding space, and the technology to get us there.  There was a lot of uncertainty during that time and he stepped up and answered the call.  

His political views aside, his service and willingness to put his life on the line is something to marvel at.  
View Quote

I dont like or approve of his politics but he was a hero. No one is perfect. 

Im not saying this is the case in this example but we always say our elected leaders should reflect our views. What if the majority of his constituents wanted gun control? Should the leader ignore the will of the people or value the people regardless of their personal opinion? 
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
John Glenn did not go to the Moon.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Awww OP ruined some peoples idealized image of Glenn.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
John Glenn :  WW2, Korea, test pilot, Mercury and Shuttle.

I'll give him a pass.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Hahaha OP has upset some with his goring of the sacred cow.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck that guy. Congrats, you went to the moon. You should have fucking stayed there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The time to bid him "good riddance" was when he left the Senate.  Now is the time to honor him for his achievements as a Marine, combat aviator, ace, test pilot, astronaut, and multiple world record-holder.  Yeah, he was a Democrat but he brought a lot of credit to the USA.

He's third from the left in this picture I have framed and hanging in my office.

Gotta' be some kind of Anti-American anarchist shit-stain to bad-mouth a Mercury astronaut and talk about how the Soviets did it better and cheaper.  The kind of guy who would say that probably thinks Pearl Harbor vets are unjustifiably personally embittered.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You gonna extend the same to John McCain?

This weakness is what is killing us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you guys have forgot, he was a combat pilot in Both WWII and Korea, he was a decorated pilot, winning 6 DFC, for his contributions to America,  I will forgive him his transgressions against gun that he got involved with due to watching his friends be assassinated.  He was an American hero, when not many were considered to be in that day and age.

It is sad when so many really forget or don't even understand what our country went through back them.

Rest in Peace Mr. Glenn.

You gonna extend the same to John McCain?

This weakness is what is killing us.
And don't forget Mark Kelly either!  Another gun-grabber who served, therefore eternally deserving of our undying respect.  And what about that representative from Massachusetts who served in the Marine Corps and wants to disarm everyone?  God damn, we love that guy, cuz he wore the uniform!!!

Dave, blind hero worship is not a virtue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

So did the Russians on a lot less money.

And the country was spoon fed heroes to nausea. A hundred maybe a thousand guys could have been spam in a can just like him, I mean it has almost nothing to do with the person in the seat, to think otherwise is some childish hero worship.

Be fit and of reasonable intelligence with a willingness to take life threatening risks....... By that logic a wing suite moron is more of a hero, the first guy to bungie jump should have a monument in his honor
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What in the fuck does his classless comment have to do with the Avilas?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD, a base for pointless losers with no respect for the dead or their kin

What has this site become? I'm sure the Avilas are dead happy with the poison they procreate

What in the fuck does his classless comment have to do with the Avilas?  

Start paying attention to his posts.  I think he's losing his shit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could say the same about the fuckstick McCain.  Hopefully, McCain will join Glenn in hell soon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And don't forget Mark Kelly either!  Another gun-grabber who served, therefore eternally deserving of our undying respect.  And what about that representative from Massachusetts who served in the Marine Corps and wants to disarm everyone?  God damn, we love that guy, cuz he wore the uniform!!!

Dave, blind hero worship is not a virtue.
View Quote

Blind hero worship?  Where in the fuck did that come from, I respect his accomplishments and disagreed with his politics, that sir is not blind hero worship.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You could say the same about the fuckstick McCain.  Hopefully, McCain will join Glenn in hell soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

McCain sucks...as does Kelly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know is the only heroes I ever met, never liked the moniker, deferred it to their fellow soldiers lost and didn't try to tell other people how they should live. OP is just enlightening a few folks and sometimes, when you put people on a pedestal, it's hard to see them as flawed. John Wayne comes to mind. He had 95 years on this rock which is more than a lot of good people get. Not gonna piss on his memory but not gonna pretend I agreed with his life after NASA. I didn't know he was even still alive until he was announced to have died.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Glenn was one of my childhood heros who got me into aviation. But hiss politics came as a kick in the balls. I'll miss him as an American hero but as a politician he can burn in hell. And yes, McCain needs to hurry up and join him. Sellouts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wellsaid
View Quote

Well you two can log off and not come back if you find this place so distasteful and all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
still a better man than 99.9999% of posters on arfcom, myself included

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I love the internet. It gives people a chance to show off their particular brand of mental disfunction. Nothings and nobodies trivializing the space race down to pressing a few buttons and shitting on a dead astronaut, while praising how the USSR did it cheaper.

Welcome to America. I don't think Glenn was the problem.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, right here.

You may not agree with the man's politics, but he volunteered to go places and do things very very few people would ever consider.

"Godspeed John Glenn".  The United States has lost a fine Marine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I believe it was him running interference for the Clintons selling ICBM tech to the Chinese.

What a hero
View Quote

I wonder how things would have turned out for the Clintons if he hadn't been in their pocket.  Would that (Chinese political contributions) have finished off the Clintons?  Would Hillary have been able to run for president (or even senator)?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe it was him running interference for the Clintons selling ICBM tech to the Chinese.

What a hero
View Quote

That was it.

"Die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain..."
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quarter?

None.

We used to give quarter.  And lost all the time.

No quarter.
View Quote

This!

TC
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love the internet. It gives people a chance to show off their particular brand of mental disfunction. Nothings and nobodies trivializing the space race down to pressing a few buttons and shitting on a dead astronaut, while praising how the USSR did it cheaper.

View Quote

Like I said, Childish hero worship.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

good grief..
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He also was a slush fund receiving, pro Clinton allowing Loral a tech waiver for Chinese ICBMs shit wad.

He was a hero once.

His ignominy for his public corruption and betrayal of his country outweighs anything he did in uniform.

Fuck him.

Rot in hell.

View Quote

Hear, hear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

And right here is why eventually, we will loose our gun rights.

Once you take steps to deprive the American people of their rights, You're lost.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Strike 2 against him.
View Quote

A song for tyrants.

Being brave doesn't make one noble.  Plenty of brave men were also criminals and shitbags.  Plenty of brave men in war, came back to become shitbags later in life.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being a non-thinking rube is nothing to be proud of. He was no longer an Astronaut...didn't die as one, no longer anything, but his later life was marked by 25 years as a liberal Senator, and not a very good one.  You don't get a pass on everything because you did something brave in your early life. I will not say good riddance, but I just can't bring myself to really care about him.  He is no hero of mine. Indeed this bizarre orthodoxy here is well, weird.  Call me a heretic I guess.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#33]
His actions as a politician tarnished everything else he accomplished,same goes for McCain.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Exactly. RIP John Glenn, a real American bad ass. Flew 59 combat missions in the South Pacific during WWII, Flew 90 combat missions in Korea and shot down three Mig-15's. Once making it back to base with over 250 holes in his F-86. Crazy ass high altitude test pilot, first supersonic transcontinental flight and first American to orbit the Earth. "Zero G and I feel fine!" God speed sir!!!

Now OP..............can you share with us your accomplishments?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. RIP John Glenn, a real American bad ass. Flew 59 combat missions in the South Pacific during WWII, Flew 90 combat missions in Korea and shot down three Mig-15's. Once making it back to base with over 250 holes in his F-86. Crazy ass high altitude test pilot, first supersonic transcontinental flight and first American to orbit the Earth. "Zero G and I feel fine!" God speed sir!!!

Now OP..............can you share with us your accomplishments?

I'm fairly certain that a person can be a hero and a dick in the same lifetime.

The question would be: Does one take precedence over the other.

For me it does. He was a dick.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Strike 2 against him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. . .  the man was humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic

Strike 2 against him.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quarter?

None.

We used to give quarter.  And lost all the time.

No quarter.
View Quote

This. You can't protect freedom by playing nice. We've learned this the hard way. A scumbag who wants to take away cornerstone rights like the 2A is still a scumbag even if they went to space.  No quarter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#37]
The real question is would he be given a life membership....
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#38]

John Glenn proved conclusively that exposure to zero gravity environments has no effect on the mental disorder known as liberalism, sad but true.

Heroes should not be made of people who led fortunate lives, it really makes no sense at all.

John Glenn led a fortunate life, he made daring choices, received adoration from the people that made that possible and then used the capitol from that to gain a position of power he then used to attack the liberties of every single american citizen and the foundation of the republic itself.

In that light he was a disgrace.

Envy the country that has heroes, huh? I say pity the country that needs them."

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#39]
John Glenn is a hero just like "Duke" Cunningham was. There were other people who went into space and shot down migs that didn't have a fucked up moral compass. We all get to choose the type of people we want to be. These two as example chose the routes they took.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A monkey went up there first.

Really think about it for a second.
View Quote

And did that same monkey fly 59 combat missions in the South Pacific during WWII and fly 90 combat missions in Korea shooting down three Mig-15's?  I bet that same monkey was a high altitude test pilot and did the first supersonic transcontinental flight as well. That monkey is quite a fucking hero.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm going with these, and other quotes. He turned his fame into self gratifying corruption and turned his back on the principles of the country that gave him his ride.

On days like this we should remember Neil Armstrong, who handled his notoriety with grace and honor. He could have had anything he wanted, but chose peace and solitude instead.

And Story Musgrave, who was fucked over and forced into retirement so Glenn could hop a ride on the shuttle.

Fuck John Glenn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
Not everyone gets to be an asshole gun banning democratic senator, either.
Lots of astronauts out there.
John Glenn thought his shit didn't stink.

Quoted:
He also was a slush fund receiving, pro Clinton allowing Loral a tech waiver for Chinese ICBMs shit wad.
He was a hero once.
His ignominy for his public corruption and betrayal of his country outweighs anything he did in uniform.
Fuck him.
Rot in hell.

I'm going with these, and other quotes. He turned his fame into self gratifying corruption and turned his back on the principles of the country that gave him his ride.

On days like this we should remember Neil Armstrong, who handled his notoriety with grace and honor. He could have had anything he wanted, but chose peace and solitude instead.

And Story Musgrave, who was fucked over and forced into retirement so Glenn could hop a ride on the shuttle.

Fuck John Glenn.

He was Scott Kelly.

Would anyone here not bash Scott Kelly for his socialist anti-2A bullshit?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This thread will not go the way OP intended... or will it?
View Quote

I was kind of wondering just how long ARFcom would take to realize he really wasn't a friend of freedom or the 2nd Amendment. He's kind of like Giffords husband, really don't see much love for him here even if he's a space flyboy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He was Scott Kelly.

View Quote

Hmmmm.......comparing Scott Kelly to John Glenn is like comparing John Kerry to Mitchell Paige.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The first guy died the day the second guy became a senator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A true tale of two lives.
I am truly saddened by the passing John Glenn, an American hero, Astronaut and Marine.
And good riddance to John Glenn the liberal democrat.

The first guy died the day the second guy became a senator

This.  The great American became a gun grabbing piece of shit.  He negated all of his accomplishments.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#45]
 fucken 13'er

Gods speed John Glenn.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Like I said, Childish hero worship.
View Quote

Like I said, mental disfunction.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lot of angry hypocritical Christians in this this thread.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lot of angry Christians in this this thread.
View Quote

We're all Christians now?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#49]
To paraphrase Stannis Baratheon:

"The Second Amendment is mine by rights. All those who deny that are my foes."
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.......comparing Scott Kelly to John Glenn is like comparing John Kerry to Mitchell Paige.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was Scott Kelly.

It's not.

It's a valid comparison.

They're both cashing in their fame to get more fame and power.

The only difference is Glenn didn't use his half brain dead wife as a puppet.

And tp your previous comment, the monkey is a bigger hero. He didn't try pushing a totalitarian agenda for the rest of his career.

Take the pussy off the pedestal.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top