Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build your own. It'll be far cheaper and customized to whatever dimensions and attributes you desire.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What material would you guys suggest for the top if I was to build my own?

OSB with some cheap layer on top to work on?

Butcher block?

Something else?
View Quote
I usually use 1" MDF from Lowes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's not the sturdiest top, but I have this one in my office.  Really like how it looks.  Anytime I need to do heavy banging I go out to the bench I built in the garage.

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/693694/6936945604031.jpg
View Quote
I was looking at the regular steel version of this for $170.

Pretty good deal and would probably work for what I need it for (light duty work and cleaning guns).
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
This.

Has to be one of the best benches continental work surfaces ever.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1BRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This has been posted before.  I finally got one made up.  Easy and strong.  I also got some of the shelving made up with the 2x4 and are tanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What material would you guys suggest for the top if I was to build my own?

OSB with some cheap layer on top to work on?

Butcher block?

Something else?
View Quote
Check your local Craig's List for bowling alley sections and/or semi-tractor trailer flooring:

https://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mat/d/vintage-bowling-alley-floor/6358673927.html

or just do a search at CL for "butcher block" :

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/d/butcher-block-counter-top-7/6288558788.html

buy 4 gas pipe floor flanges, 4 pipes sized to match say from 30 to 36 inches long, 16 lag screws, and 4 pipe end caps.

Attach floor flanges to underside of butcher block near each corner.  Screw the pipes into the floor flanges...those become your legs.  Screw  the pipe caps onto the pipe legs...making the caps the feet.  Then flip the whole bench over.

Done.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you can't build your own workbench, you probably don't really need a workbench.
View Quote
You win!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You win!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't build your own workbench, you probably don't really need a workbench.
You win!

There's probably a difference between need and want.  I don't necessarily need one, but I want to build one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this Seville model.  I think it works for apartment life.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I built a couple.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, the one you posted has a full bottom rack. Your chair or stool willl not go up under it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tend to favor 4x4s, 3/4" ply, and a shit load of screws/lag bolts.  Lets me fit the bench to the workspace.  
View Quote
I have 12 feet of workbench and an ammo can rack in the garage made out of this and some 2X4s

I'm also typing this on a desk made of that, too
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Current one is DIY, about a decade old, made out of 2x4s, 4x4s, has shelves and a spot for my garage fridge.

Next one is going to be steel framed and have two 44" Harbor Freight bottom boxes as a base and a butcher block type top.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was looking at the regular steel version of this for $170.

Pretty good deal and would probably work for what I need it for (light duty work and cleaning guns).
View Quote
IIRC the painted steel version has an MDF top instead of real wood and is missing some of the features of the stainless.   I could take or leave the stainless but the other differences were enough for me to spring for the stainless when I got mine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you setting up to see how many golf balls you can cut in half with one swing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build work bench. Then get it all fucked up doin cool shit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309434/PicsArt_11-07-08-356776.JPG
Are you setting up to see how many golf balls you can cut in half with one swing?
Your blade... will keeeel
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up this bench a few years ago at Home depot. So far it's worked out fine for a reloading bench and light duty workbench.

Link

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are those pretty sturdy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love these, have a few from Harbor Freight.  Wait until they're $129 and use a 20% coupon.  

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxMjAw/z/4-YAAOSw5cNYdn5x/$_1.JPG
Are those pretty sturdy?
I just tossed one in the dumpster after it took on a little flood water and the bottom fell out. Kind of junky. The $199.00 one from Sam's Club has a metal frame and the heavy wood top, much better item. We have several of them throughout our business shop. For home, I built a simple screw together 2' x 7' one for the space I had in my batcave.

Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1BRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This has been posted before.  I finally got one made up.  Easy and strong.  I also got some of the shelving made up with the 2x4 and are tanks.
View Quote
I like them so much I got a few for my shop. Easy, strong, water on floor is a non-issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love these, have a few from Harbor Freight.  Wait until they're $129 and use a 20% coupon.  

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxMjAw/z/4-YAAOSw5cNYdn5x/$_1.JPG
View Quote
I've got one of those for gun stuff. Works well. 4 moves in the moving truck and it's a bit loose but just needs the screws tightened or a piece of plywood across the back to stiffen it up. For the price, no complaints. Lots of holes drilled in it for various presses and hot wire foam cutter.

That said, Menards has some big butcherblocks for pretty cheap, and even cheaper if they've been dinged up you can get a discount. I built the wife a crafting table with two base cabinets and a big butcher block top that she really likes and would also work well.

My other hobby is woodworking, so I won't go on about how you need a split top roubo because that would be overkill...
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#21]
You're making a mistake. Here is a legitimate gets used cheap work bench. 8 foot by two foot top with 3/8 plywood. 2x4 built with 100 freedom bucks for the while thing. You need twice as much space as you think.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Holy shit I need a work bench.

I do everything squatting on the floor of my garage like those motherfuckers in India making buckets.  I even hold my vice steady with my feet when I use it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got most of the sams stuff, work bench, cabinets drawers, etc., nice and shiny.  I'm not a carpenter.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Build a bench top with 2x4's
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sams club and buy their Seville HD workbench.

It has like a 2" butcher top and it can hold 1,000lbs on it.

$199
View Quote
Costco too. It amazes me how much money people pay for these.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#26]

I built this one at work, 4'x6' with a 3/8" plate top, weighs about 600lb, it has a vise on it now.  This winter I'm making a copy of it for my shop at home.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What you'll come to find, is that you need a workbench in order to build a workbench.

I just found this out myself.

Just made a butcherblock top for my 72" roll cabinet so I can use it for a workbench to build my Roubo Workbench that I am planning on making.

While doing the butcherblock top, I then discovered that I needed to make a cyclone dust separator to catch the MASSIVE amount of chips coming from my thickness planer (holy shit man).

Then I needed to make a clamping jig.

And a crosscut sled for the table saw.

All in all, I needed to make about a half dozen things before getting the butcher block top done, and everything I needed to make... I needed a fucking workbench that I didn't have.

So frustrating. But, I am much closer now.

My current workbench wound up being a 72" US General roll cabinet, scrap 2x4 that I jointed, planed, and glued into a gigantic butcher block top. It only cost me a 1000 dollar toolbox, a 500 dollar jointer, a 600 dollar thickness planer, about 50 dollars in glue, a month of time, and about 6 trashcans full of woodchips.

I wish I had just fucking bought one.  LOL.
View Quote
Saw horses and a small sheet of plywood is all you need for a basic work bench. You will have both if you are doing the most basic of wood work. No need to buy a bench to make a bench. That's crazy talk.

Hell, I used saw horses and plywood for a year doing many things before I had the time and space to build my workbench.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Holy shit I need a work bench.

I do everything squatting on the floor of my garage like those motherfuckers in India making buckets.  I even hold my vice steady with my feet when I use it.
View Quote
But do you trim your toenails?  
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Costco has a rediculously heavy duty Whalen for $250 ($600+ online) but it's discontinued, so you'll need to have a store search to see if any in your state still have one. It's 300lbs

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401569/IMG_20170103_123302-356779.jpg
View Quote
Sharp looking item. Too bad its out of production
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You win!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You win!

Similar to the asshole response I was going to make. If you have to ask about a fucking workbench, I doubt you need can use one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're making a mistake. Here is a legitimate gets used cheap work bench. 8 foot by two foot top with 3/8 plywood. 2x4 built with 100 freedom bucks for the while thing. You need twice as much space as you think.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309434/PicsArt_11-08-11-357462.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309434/PicsArt_11-08-11-357462.JPG
Like I've said before, this will be a light duty bench that I will use to tinker with small items and guns, something I can keep in the basement and use in the winter.

I have a big ass wood bench in the garage for when I need to really beat on some shit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Stanley Vidmar

Over everything else
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#33]
build one
cheaper and you can build it to suit your needs
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you can't forge your own reloading press, you probably don't really need to reload.
Did I spell it out plainly enough for you?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build your own. It'll be far cheaper and customized to whatever dimensions and attributes you desire.
Yep.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/287441/IMG_20160119_173643363_-_Copy_-_Copy-356747.JPG

A.W.D.
Nice looking set up. Functional, simple and great use of space.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stanley Vidmar

Over everything else
View Quote
At my last job, my guys in the shop had these.  Very, very nice workbenches, but too expensive.

I texted some buddies that still work there to see if they could sneak one out for me I was unsuccessful
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Husky makes a nice one for $300
Attachment Attached File

Kobalt makes a nice one for $200
Attachment Attached File

Gladiator makes a nice one for $300
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]
2x4 Basics.    Sturdy and you build it to the size you want.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wanted to build my first wood working bench after finding a killer deal on a 6' Butcher Block top at Sears for $100.  Went looking at YouTube and all the woodworking "experts" showed you how to do it, but they had a bench already made to work off of.    All I had was a garage floor.  Lots of fancy tenon joints, drawers with dovetails, etc. and exotic woods from "lumber yards"
I just wanted something built from Lowes 2X4's and 2X6's.
Here's what I wound up with
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/IMG_1668-356814.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/IMG_1669-356816.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/52117175839__91DE0D6F-595D-4F7D-88F6-12D2C7D2B3C5-356818.JPG
View Quote
Love those handles! I am stealing that idea.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you can't forge your own reloading press, you probably don't really need to reload.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit, not even close. A flat-ish suface is a fuck ton simpler than a press.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Build your own . Mine has 3 layers of 1/2 inch plywood at the top and an oak 4x4 for legs. I wanted it to be heavy
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I spent about $125 and a couple hours

Frame
Attachment Attached File

2x10's on top
Attachment Attached File

3/4 plywood, and hardboard top
Attachment Attached File

Framed with 2x4's so shit doesn't roll off
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

$199
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
/thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$199
/thread
It's too fucking tiny
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
This is the work bench I got for just cleaning and working on my guns:

Work Bench

I added a 60" x 30" wood top to it that I stained and polyurethaned. I cut notches in the back so that it would set over the rear vertical steel arms of the bench. I then attached it to the frame of the bench with L brackets and self tappers.

I also "tightened" all the legs and braces with self tappers as well. Added a power strip and LED light to the top. Have about $160 ish in it and its been great for what I need it to do.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

$199
View Quote
I read this suggestion on ARF awhile back and got one.  It's nice & heavy though a bit expensive.  I thinks it's a good option if you are not going to DIY.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's too fucking tiny
View Quote
It does look kinda small. 

Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#48]
home work benches should be homemade
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm considering building a new bench for my basement shop, would it be crazy to use 4x4s instead of 2x4s stood on end for the worktop?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]
The Harbor Freight wood one is sturdy and cheap.  I had a few.  I usually build my own though. Here is mine in progress.  The Sketchup drawing and the first half done.   I'm working on the second half now.  It's cheap 2x4's and two layers of 3/4 ply for the top, bolted to the wall.  The PVC pipes are different lengths to hold long objects like cleaning rods, brushes and primer tubes.  The top is painted with enamel, easy to maintain.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top