User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Independent renewable fresh water supply?

My guess it is covered in ice and snow 8 months per year?

Casco bay doesn't freeze over. If anything being that close to a large body of water means the shoreline is warmer.

Heh. It might not freeze, but the windchill of New England harbor winds in winter are brutal. Step out on the deck of a boat in anything less than a peacoat and watch cap, and you'll very quickly understand just why those articles of clothing were invented. So cold your ears HURT almost instantly.

sooooo....the zombies will freeze right?
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to be the resident buzzkill, but I've been by House Island by boat several times.

You want privacy? That place is a nightmare during the spring and summer with tourist boats invading visiting the property.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
no trespassing signs, hungry rotties, and some 12 lb parrot rifles should take care of that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
RAVE PARTY 24/7/365! $$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Meh, can't proclaim your own country there, so it's worthless.

Though it is an island.

Could rename it. Call it "Cahn't Get Theah From Heah".
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Islands are no protection from zombies.  They are undead and will just sink to the bottom and shuffle to the island.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd start from fresh and take Ram Island Link
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Want.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I would open up a whore house and call it fantasy island.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Classic Maine Realtor photo.

It's so nice and sunny in Maine....

I'm guessing 120 days of heavy fog with bitterly cold winters lasting from Sept. 30 through May 1, etc...
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What're the taxes?

$35k/yr

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Always wondered why the price on these kinds of places was so low. Confusing laws (eg: international)? Not insurable? Place like that probably has historical crap to deal with too...

$5m seems like a bargain for an island like that to me... considering my wife's house shows where city folks blow $2.5M on a 2200 sq ft townhouse.

Getting to work every day is what's gonna get you. Taxes would be astronomical too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, what's the catch?

In Miami, that would be 45 million.

Are we sure it's not a decimal point issue?  

Seriously, that's chump change for the square footage and the historical value is a bonus.

no catch, most people who don't know better see places like these listed so low and can't believe it. but there is a reason they are hard sells, especially massive old buildings and locations. you may only pay 4.5mil up front. but upkeep, repair, utilities, and equipment costs for seriously running an island fortress like that will be well over a million a year

Why on earth would you assume I would spend a dime on the fortress?  I'm talking what the value of the property is to an investor, not a history teacher.

Unless forced to do so (and that would be the catch) there is nothing stopping someone from turning such a large estate into something worth the resale value.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Arfcom's version of Sandals?

Only if it has a basement and the inhabitants love women but have never known one carnally.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Islands are no protection from zombies.  They are undead and will just sink to the bottom and shuffle to the island.

Wouldn't there be a certain depth that would crush them due to water pressure?

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
group buy?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Meh, can't proclaim your own country there, so it's worthless.

With the right offensive strategy you could.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know some prepper has a boner right now.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly, what's the catch?

In Miami, that would be 45 million.

Are we sure it's not a decimal point issue?  

Seriously, that's chump change for the square footage and the historical value is a bonus.

no catch, most people who don't know better see places like these listed so low and can't believe it. but there is a reason they are hard sells, especially massive old buildings and locations. you may only pay 4.5mil up front. but upkeep, repair, utilities, and equipment costs for seriously running an island fortress like that will be well over a million a year

Why on earth would you assume I would spend a dime on the fortress?  I'm talking what the value of the property is to an investor, not a history teacher.

Unless forced to do so (and that would be the catch) there is nothing stopping someone from turning such a large estate into something worth the resale value.

Turning that little island into something worth the resale is going to cost a nice chunk of cash and Keeping the place maintained until you actually find a buyer is going to be extremely expensive as well. I've seen many people, loose substantial amounts of money because they didn't fully realize just how expensive it is to renovate, repair, and maintain large properties and buildings. Also realize that the resale of properties like this can take much longer than some would anticipate leading to an owner having a great deal of capital tied up into it which is ever increasing as time goes on. Now given my experience with such things is limited mostly to knowing people who have purchased large golf resorts and farms, I still believe an island would have the same if not worse financial hurdles.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry to be the resident buzzkill, but I've been by House Island by boat several times.

You want privacy? That place is a nightmare during the spring and summer with tourist boats invading visiting the property.

No thanks.

If I can afford a private island, I can afford to fence it in.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#25]
IN on the group buy!!! Let me run and get my change jug!
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

- It's probably not really livable for +6 months out of the year.  Yea, you probably could, but unless you lived your whole life in ND or the North Slope, it's not realistic nor would it be fun.

If I could afford $4.85m and the upkeep costs, I can probably afford to insulate the bitch a bit better.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top