Quoted:
I can't work without two screens
View Quote

I would actually prefer three.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not just get a 65 inch tv screen and plug into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not long at all. You will love it and want to add a 3rd before long. I have 2 24" monitors and a 27"... if I could fit a 4th one on my desk, I would have 4.

Because the monitors have significantly higher DPI than a TV, so the TV will appear local area if you sit the same distance away. Plus you can run multiple full size Windows instead of half sized, plus you can arrange monitors into a curve. Multiple monitors >>>>>single TV (the only single thing that could replace 2 monitors is a curved ultrawide, but even then I'd probably rather have multiples.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not yet. There's a stack of routers, switches (and now audio channel strips) to the right of that I'd have to relocate. And because of where my chair sits (the only place it can), the third monitor would be way too far to the right.

It's a really weird desk, and it's nailed down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/WSUB/2016-01-30%2023.04.47.jpg

A third monitor would be nice, but I don't know where I'd put it. My desk is kind of weird. Came with the house.

Put the tower on the floor or in one of the cabinets.
Then you've got the room.

Not yet. There's a stack of routers, switches (and now audio channel strips) to the right of that I'd have to relocate. And because of where my chair sits (the only place it can), the third monitor would be way too far to the right.

Put the tower on a shelf to your left near the window maybe over your monitors. That will make using dvd drive harder though. But sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.  :-)
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a quad monitor setup currently at work. 3 vertical, 1 horizontal.  I absolutely love it.  I loathe working with a single screen anymore.  Two is an absolute must.  Three is really nice.  Four is beneficial in some cases, but for optimal return/efficiency gain, three is where it is at for me personally.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you go multiple, you won't go back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because the monitors have significantly higher DPI than a TV, so the TV will appear local area if you sit the same distance away. Plus you can run multiple full size Windows instead of half sized, plus you can arrange monitors into a curve. Multiple monitors >>>>>single TV (the only single thing that could replace 2 monitors is a curved ultrawide, but even then I'd probably rather have multiples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not long at all. You will love it and want to add a 3rd before long. I have 2 24" monitors and a 27"... if I could fit a 4th one on my desk, I would have 4.

Curved Ultrawides are amazing. I'd love to have 3 but I don't want to throw down the money right now for them and the additional graphics cards I would need.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought my first computer since high school.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is weird with just 2.  You need 3 to balance it out.
View Quote

This.   I have a 32" in the center and a 19" on either side.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm back to one. Granted it's a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 and I wouldn't mind having two more.

View Quote

I want 3 of those big bastards
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Curved Ultrawides are amazing. I'd love to have 3 but I don't want to throw down the money right now for them and the additional graphics cards I would need.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. I have 1, but I wonder if 3 would be too wide - I want it to full my vision, not have to turn my head too much. I think 2 would be ideal (or 3 27" WQHD standard widescreen monitora)
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Love having two monitors, email always up on one.  Makes referencing other information so much easier and faster.  ALT + TAB to the window I want to use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
2 monitors is nice, 3 monitors is even nicer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107976995/Pics/WSUB/2016-01-30%2023.04.47.jpg

A third monitor would be nice, but I don't know where I'd put it. My desk is kind of weird. Came with the house.
View Quote

They have articulating arm mounts that can be mounted on the wall, desk, or come with their own stand kind of thing-usually its like a metal rod. If there's anywhere you'd want the monitor you can likely get it in that position with one of those, if you want to go to the trouble. I've been thinking about getting one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
4 at work
4 at home

Ergotron Stand
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 3 at work and I wish I had more.  Virtual desktops are a BIG improvement too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
You will never be able to work with 1 again
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I suggest an asymmetric setup for two, your brain will make more since of it if one is dead center and the other is off to the side. Basically allows for a primary, secondary visual connection.

What your working on right now or that is more important goes in the primary screen, stuff you are also working on, but maybe not as important goes on the secondary.

View Quote
Yeah this works great.

For for work, I have two 24 inch (I think) monitors, one in landscape mode, and one rotated 90 degrees.

You'd be surprised how much better it is doing coding, copying in/out of email etc with one vertical and one for reference / file manipulation etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm out of room:

Get a speaker stand or camera tripod and put one out to the left.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Go big or go home:

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

Somebody just mentioned an articulating arm, for a monitor stand. That might actually work pretty well on the left, and it would be easy to perfectly position it.

Arfcom: Solving problems.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I had dual 24's but went back to a single 30"

I much prefer it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm out of room:

Hmmm.

Well, time to sawzall everything.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you spill some kind of cherry drink on papers?

I would be happy with one big monitor like those.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Three monitors is much better than two.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have 3 at work and I wish I had more.  Virtual desktops are a BIG improvement too.
View Quote

Hell Yeah. RHEL at work, MINT and Windows 7 at home. RHEL and Mint already had multiple desktop, Win7 just needed the add on.

The 20-30-20 triple monitor setup is still my favorite. A single 30" widescreen in the middle, flanked by 20" non-widescreens in portrait mode.

Not my picture:

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
As long as the monitor doesn't vibrate on the arm, otherwise it will drive you nuts.

Had one of my multiple monitors fry in the home office last week. With only one, now I can barely stand to turn it on.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hell Yeah. RHEL at work, MINT and Windows 7 at home. RHEL and Mint already had multiple desktop, Win7 just needed the add on.

The 20-30-20 triple monitor setup is still my favorite. A single 30" widescreen in the middle, flanked by 20" non-widescreens in portrait mode.
Not my picture:

http://i.imgur.com/DQW3J.jpg?1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my picture:

You know, the more I sit and think about it, the more I'm intrigued by this idea.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Nice background, insect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Why not go with a 40" display running a 4K desktop?

It's essential a 2x2 monitor setup at that point. Tons of real estate to work in, and no separation of "monitors"
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#30]
One is for netflix/youtube. Work/surf whatever on the other.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]

My desk currently sports 2 machines, each with dual 24" widescreen monitors (and a laptop, and a Surface Pro 4). It is using WAY too much space, so I have one of the curved Dell 34" Ultrawide monitors on the way to replace one pair of 24s. Eventually I'll probably do the same for the other machine.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 48 on my desktop at home, I run it split as four "screens", I'd rather have 3 24" individual monitors
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Needs some xhamster on a third monitor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

++
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is it sad that I don't know what xhamster is?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#37]
You will love 2 in short order... Then you will need a third one. And then you will never go back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 2x 22" monitors on my desk, and a 40" TV on the wall immediately behind and above them.

Main computer has 3 video ports, vga, hdmi, dvi.

Second computer has 2 ports, dvi, vga (it's old)

40" TV connected to both machines, as is one of the monitors, so just by selecting TV inputs, I can switch boxes

to the TV and the main monitor.

Also, running Teamviewer, it's sometimes easier to just set up a job that way.

Finally, running Input Director for single keyboard/mouse between the 2 boxes.

TV also has OTA tv, and the Amazon tv/movie thingy.

40" TV.  here.  Bang for the $$ its a pretty good TV Currently, $220 delivered.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not long... And they become addictive.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/jfg_4/image_zpsiq6g7t0r.jpeg
View Quote

That does not look ideal.  Maybe put them on top, but not to the side like that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wallpapers are way cooler though......
View Quote

Check out DisplayFusion and Digital Blasphemy
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's OK. Now go ahead and Google it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I use three at work and hate bringing my laptop home and only having the one to work on. I need to get my home office setup.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#43]
This whole thread is making me insanely jealous.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not my picture:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my picture:

I like this setup a lot
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 2- 28" monitors. To be honest, it kind of tires me out faster.

It's really handy when I edit photos and videos though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a heck of a headache at the end of the first day after they added my second monitor.    The next day zero issues.
By day 3 I was kicking myself for waiting so long to do this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#48]

lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I tried dual monitors for a couple of weeks, but it just annoyed me. I would completely ignore the second one.

ETA: obviously in the minority here
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It's a slippery slope btw. I tend to opt for triples if I have the space.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top