Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Gordy Howe
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Babe Ruth
Barry Bonds
Ken Griffey Jr

Babe Ruth is the conventional answer. His numbers and records are absurd. He’s the universal name associated with baseball, as Michael Jordan is to basketball. That said, I sincerely doubt he or any other player from 100 years ago would be that great versus today’s competition.

Barry Bonds is the logical answer. His sheer talent and career numbers combined are unmatched by anyone in history. He was statistically the best player in baseball for about a 15 year span. It’s too bad steroids have tainted his career. He has the most dominant resume in the history of the game.

Ken Griffey Jr is the answer in terms of raw ability. He was the most talented and complete all around player I’ve ever seen. His numbers are staggering when you factor in that injuries completely derailed his career. If he had stayed healthy and won a championship he’d be a popular answer in these conversations. He hit 630 HRs without ever being healthy past the age of 30. The man would’ve hit 800 HRs if it weren’t for injuries.

Honorable mentions:

Willie Mays
Ted Williams
Lou Gehrig
Albert Pujols
Jackie Robinson
Alex Rodriguez
Mickey Mantle
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The all tile hit leader
Pete Rose
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Michael Jordan.

I don’t follow, nor care, nor know anything about baseball but Ive been told it is my civil duty to Vote.  All Votes should count, right? Even for people who know jack about what they’re voting on… OP should have gone out of his way to make it easier for people to vote so we could really flesh out who is the “best.” Maybe a mail-in ballot so I wouldn’t have even had to click on a thread knowing it was about baseball.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Albert Pujols just hit 703 and now is #2 all time rbis.
One of the GOATs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NjO22lt38Y

His 3000th MLB hit was a triple...
View Quote
Its Ruth for all time. His pitching and hitting make him the GOAT. However, strong case for Ichiro to be made in the modern era. Unbelievable player.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Ty Cobb.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
What, no Lou Gehrig?
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Cal Ripken
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wilber Wood
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Singles (even doubles) hitters will never be in the conversation for GOAT. The guys scoring the runs will never be viewed as highly as the guys knocking them in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Pete Rose

1980 NLCS Gm4: Rose scores go-ahead run in the 10th

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Willie Mays/Mickey Mantle

If Mantle had not been hurt so much and had not been a drunk, he probably gets it fairly easily.

If Ruth had continued to pitch AND hit, he might get the nod for being a do-it-all player.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Willie Mays? Ted Williams? Lots missing there.

Mays was probably the best all around player ever.
View Quote

Seriously, how is Ted Williams not on this list? His numbers are insane and he walked away twice in the middle of his career to fight in a war. Once for World War II and once for Korea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Baseball in the end is a team game. Great players come and go, but the game stays the same. A better exercise is to build a team.

Outfield: Mays, Williams, Ichiro
Infield: Gehrig, Cobb, Rose, Wagner.
Catcher: Bench
Pitchers: Young, W Johnson, Maddux, R Johnson, Koufax

This team can win in ANY era. I voted Cobb in the poll, but I was taught as a boy to play baseball to win and Cobb was the example used as a player who gave his all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Baseball in the end is a team game. Great players come and go, but the game stays the same. A better exercise is to build a team.

Outfield: Mays, Williams, Ichiro
Infield: Gehrig, Cobb, Rose, Wagner.
Catcher: Bench
Pitchers: Young, W Johnson, Maddux, R Johnson, Koufax

This team can win in ANY era. I voted Cobb in the poll, but I was taught as a boy to play baseball to win and Cobb was the example used as a player who gave his all.
View Quote
As such a Ty Cobb fan, you should know that he was an outfielder, mostly center field. And Ruth would be in the outfield before any of them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Willie Mays? Ted Williams? Lots missing there.

Mays was probably the best all around player ever.
View Quote

Truth.

5 tools.

And base stealing wasn’t that big a deal in his and Mick’s day
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Roberto Clemente
View Quote

Yeah this guy.

If he had lived longer. No doubt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
No Ted Williams? Poll sucks bruh.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1.  Baseball is a pitcher’s game and he was the best there has been.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolan Ryan

+1.  Baseball is a pitcher’s game and he was the best there has been.

Bob Gibson and Sandy Koufax have entered the room.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
5. Ruth also finished six campaigns with at least 135 RBIs and 135 walks, which matches the number of 135-RBI, 135-walk seasons by all other players combined.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Singles (even doubles) hitters will never be in the conversation for GOAT. The guys scoring the runs will never be viewed as highly as the guys knocking them in.
View Quote

Because analysis proves a singles hitter like Tony Gwynn isn’t as productive as a guy who draws walks and hits for power.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Teddy Ballgame
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah this guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roberto Clemente

Yeah this guy.

Great player, but not the best by far and he died at 38. How many more years would he have played?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cal Ripken
View Quote

He should have stood down at 2,129

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Plus took time off to fly fighter jets in 2 wars.  Ted is #1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outfield: Ted Williams

Arguably the greatest “pure” hitter who ever lived, Williams accumulated a .344 career average, 521 HRs, won two MVP’s, and was a two-time Triple Crown winner. He was also the last player to hit .400 (.406 in 1941), was a 17-time All-Star, scored 100+ runs nine times, and had 100+ RBI nine times

Plus took time off to fly fighter jets in 2 wars.  Ted is #1

And he hit a homerun in his last at bat.

Twice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Greatest player in baseball is kinda suggestive, as seen already. It really is a fun discussion though.

It’s not like NBA where Jordan can hold the title and very few would argue against it.
View Quote

Larry Bird.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nolan Ryan isnt even the best pitcher, let alone player. Hell, I dont know if he makes the top 5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolan Ryan ??

Totally overrated now. When he played he was always regarded as one dimensional.  Maybe that was a little unfair, but imagine it’s 1970. Do you want him on your team for the next few years, or Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, or Steve Carlton?  He was very durable.

LOL not hardly.

Ryan was the last of the pitchers that would kick your ass on the field, then try to catch you in the parking lot to throw you a beating for talking shit after the game.

If you think he’s overrated, you probably liked his rival teams.

Plus, he likes guns, bbq, beer, and fishing.

Nolan Ryan isnt even the best pitcher, let alone player. Hell, I dont know if he makes the top 5

I would agree he's not the best player, but for pitchers, what metrics are you using to determine "the best"? Who are your top 5 pitchers?

Watch the documentary about him on Netflix.  Some of the greatest in baseball, both those that faced him and those that played after him including pitchers that many would say are better than him, still hold him in awe as a pitcher.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would agree he's not the best player, but for pitchers, what metrics are you using to determine "the best"? Who are your top 5 pitchers?

Watch the documentary about him on Netflix.  Some of the greatest in baseball, both those that faced him and those that played after him including pitchers that many would say are better than him, still hold him in awe as a pitcher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolan Ryan ??

Totally overrated now. When he played he was always regarded as one dimensional.  Maybe that was a little unfair, but imagine it’s 1970. Do you want him on your team for the next few years, or Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, or Steve Carlton?  He was very durable.

LOL not hardly.

Ryan was the last of the pitchers that would kick your ass on the field, then try to catch you in the parking lot to throw you a beating for talking shit after the game.

If you think he’s overrated, you probably liked his rival teams.

Plus, he likes guns, bbq, beer, and fishing.

It’s TV.

He put too many people on base, allowed too many runs.  
Off the top of my head -
Walter Johnson
Cy Young
Mathewson
Lefty Grove
Sandy Koufax
Pedro
Maddux
Randy Johnson
Clemens
Tom Seaver
Steve Carlton

If you talk about a pitcher’s best five or so years, there are many, many more guys who blow past Ryan. There are probably five guys right now who are or were better than Ryan ever was.  Scherzer, Kershner, Verlander have all done more at their peak than Ryan did. Ryan’s value was in being a just above average pitcher for a very long time. He had one of hist best years at 40, when even most stars are out of the game.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Robinson is in the hall of fame for his skin color.A good player,but GOAT ? Not remotely
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top