Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/20/2021 4:03:10 PM EDT
Right after I get done punching myself in the dick for agreeing to this nonsense.
Get a guinea pig for the kids she said.. it will be fun she said.
I figured it would be like a hamster, stuff things in it's cheeks, sleep all day.. nope.

For a rodent that small the amount of shit it can produce in a 12 hour time period is truly impressive.
Like if there were an olympics of shitting, these things would be the un-disputed defending world champions for 37 olympics in a row. It's THAT bad.

Who in their right minds keeps these things as pets, and has multiple of them? You'd be drowing in rodent shit every day. 1 of them makes enough in a day to match a person, I couldn't imagine having 3 or 4 of these fucking things.

In other news, anyone looking for a free guinea pig?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
you can eat them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
This is now a kill it and grill it thread. Waiting on OP to deliver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ancient Incans I believe. Primarily as pets but ate them as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You could do some laundry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They will also eat themselves to death….

RIP Bingo, you were the best 2nd grade Guinea Pig ever. Sorry my daughter killed you over Christmas break so many years ago.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
At least they only live for 7-8 years!

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Cuy is actually pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You're a survivalist and didn't even know it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

they are considered a delicacy in south america. from what i have  heard, often eaten at wedding feasts.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

they are considered a delicacy in south america. from what i have  heard, often eaten at wedding feasts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they taste anything like Nutria, they have to be delicious
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I love guinea pigs and if local I would re-home one for the OP in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Eat a pellet make a pellet (HQ)
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Food in, pellets out.

You got the GP for the kids right? Make them clean the cage a few times a week.

There are lots of good resources online with GP info, they are stupid little rodents but they can be cool too.

When you pick it up make sure you cradle its rear end, that’s the heavy end.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
They’re adorable little guys and quite social.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right after I get done punching myself in the dick for agreeing to this nonsense.
I figured it would be like a hamster, stuff things in it's cheeks, sleep all day.. nope.

For a rodent that small the amount of shit it can produce in a 12 hour time period is truly impressive.
Like if there were an olympics of shitting, these things would be the un-disputed defending world champions for 37 olympics in a row. It's THAT bad.

Who in their right minds keeps these things as pets, and has multiple of them? You'd be drowing in rodent shit every day. 1 of them makes enough in a day to match a person, I couldn't imagine having 3 or 4 of these fucking things.

View Quote

ya..... been there, done that buddy. women seem to loose all sensibilities when they have kids. everything is about the child, right or wrong.

rats where more fun that the other rodents.

that said, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to punch shove whoever came up with the idea of them as pets right in the d!ck butt
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have one, you probably want to get one more.  They're very social animals.  In Switzerland it's actually illegal to own only one guinea pig for this reason.  Not sure if that's something that's enforced, but it's not like they eat a lot, and you can always use the poop for fertilizer or to put in flaming bags.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Growing up, my family use to raise free range Guinea Pigs. You haven’t lived until you have seen a Hurd of 150 Guinea Pigs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My daughter has 10 of those damn things.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd like to punch shove whoever came up with the idea of them as pets right in the d!ck butt

FIFY

Richard gere?
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#21]
My niece has had those things her entire life.  I think shes on pair 4 or 5 by now.

They will pretty much eat until they drop dead.  Try limiting their food intake a little. Also, be careful what greens you feed it. It's digestive system does not react  very well to things like green beans.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My son has two.  Wicket and Leo.  Wicket I call Snotrocket or Chubs McChubbyface.  He's the vocal one and he'll let you know when he wants green stuff.  Leo mostly hangs out in his hide.  He's not very social at all.  

And yes, they poop like crazy.  All they do is eat, sleep and poop.  Mostly eat and poop.  But they're fun to let run around.  We take them downstairs and let them run in the tunnels we made.  I cut holes in different size boxes and set them out for them to play in.  They'll move them around until they line them up so they can run circles.  They have a blast.  Then the dog comes down and cleans up the "candy" they leave behind.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
As a MGTOW, I don't understand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a rat growing up that was a phenomenal pet.

I think he was smart enough to know that the word "feeder" was written on the receipt when we purchased him and he was eternally grateful for it

Hindsight, I wouldn't buy one for a child without alignment he'd be cleaning the cage regularly. Rodents tend to stink regardless, so frequent cage cleaning is required.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
My brother got one when we were kids. I figured it would be dead in a month or two like the hamsters he had.

That noisy smelly rodent lived for years
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Why are you complaining about food OP?

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey OP....

MEEPMEEPMEEPMEEP
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote

FPNI.

But you really need multiples, cuy is not like a Cornish hen with one per person.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FPNI.

But you really need multiples, cuy is not like a Cornish hen with one per person.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you can eat them.

FPNI.

Kharn

Unlike Cornish hens, you can sell the pelt and eat them too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Growing up, my family use to raise free range Guinea Pigs. You haven’t lived until you have seen a Hurd of 150 Guinea Pigs.
View Quote

We started with two (both male, according to the DoctorX SME) - we had at least 50 in several months.  Apparently inbreeding is not issue with Guinea Pigs; if it weren't for hurricane Agnes wiping out a good number of them, our house would've looked like the inspiration for the Tribbles episode of Star Trek in short order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its mainly Peru. I could be wrong.

I’ve had it at a few of Gaston’s restaurants and a few others over the years. Like everything else it’s only as good as it’s prepared.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
We had 2, Smokey Stover and The Red Baron(none of my passwords use their names, Mr. Hacker), when I was a kid.  I think Smokey had black fur while TRB had reddish fur.

I don't remember a lot of poop, but maybe we didn't feed them a lot.

The only memory I have of them was the one time we lost one.  We'd take them out into the back yard and let them run around (and maybe eat the grass).  I'm guessing we go distracted enough to lose sight of one of them.  We eventually came inside after giving up the search for the missing one.  My sister sat by the back window the rest of the night waiting for it to show up.  Once she saw it, she ran out and got him.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ancient Incans I believe. Primarily as pets but ate them as well.
View Quote

Hell they busted some Guat a few years ago grilling one up in a public park.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Just wait till it gets out of the cage in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#35]
It was my alarm clock growing up. It would start screaming at 6am until it got a carrot.

Put it on Craigslist as free, Python owners are known to be great rehoming volunteers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Put it on Craigslist as free, giant Python owners are known to be great rehoming volunteers.
View Quote

Fixed, my ball and savu pythons won't eat something that big.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

CUY!

Its not bad.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#38]
OP make funny poop thread.

olympics of shitting
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
OP ought to get a capybara.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think they necessarily shit more than other rodents (hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, etc.) but it is definitely a nastier type of shit.

We tried guinea pigs for a while. They all died for various reasons. Oh well...

Some friends got one and gave it to their 6 year old for her birthday. She proceeded to put the thing down on the floor to say "hi" to their old golden retriever.   The dog didn't even get up... just did one quick *snap* and the little rodent was missing its head. Oops..
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you can eat them.
View Quote

They were originally livestock. No joke.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My niece has had those things her entire life.  I think shes on pair 4 or 5 by now.

They will pretty much eat until they drop dead.  Try limiting their food intake a little. Also, be careful what greens you feed it. It's digestive system does not react  very well to things like green beans.  
View Quote

I hear that they love refried beans!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Oot,oot? Wheeeet!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stepson is lonely and wanted a dog.  I want one too, but our life is in a complicated spot that wouldn't be fair to a dog right now.   So he brought home a hamster without talking to anyone.    WTF kind of pet sleeps under sawdust all day long, and then comes out right as you are trying to fall asleep and spends the next 7 hours running nonstop on its wheel.

The hamster no longer lives in his room, it's been moved to the guest bedroom, and I expect it will eventually get forgotten until the poor thing starves to death.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Well first of all, the point is to give the kids something to do. Make them clean up after it.

We’ve had a Guinea pig for 7 years. The thing is great entertainment because It’s entitled AF.

His water bottle has a little plastic float that looks like an ear of corn so you can see the water level easily.
If that stupid fake ear of corn gets within an inch of the bottom of the bottle that stupid pig will stand next to it and squeal until someone fills his water. Never mind there’s still an inch of water in the bottle. He doesn’t like it to get low. I kind of respect that. If you show him there’s still water in it he just gets more mad. As soon as you refill it he’s happy again.

When my daughters bring boys over it growls at them. I give him extra treats for that. Good job pig.

He’s a social eater. His cage is in the corner of the tv room. If someone sets up a TV tray that pig will squeak for a treat. If that doesn’t work he’ll start squealing. He will not put up anyone eating and leaving him out.

It’s great entertainment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a couple sets of them as a kid.

They were cute pets but nobody sells cages that are really big enough for them so you either build your own or let them out a ton.

Mine would drink water like crazy. The wood chip bedding was basically useless. I couldn't buy enough wood chips to soak up the flood of pee. Plus they all died pretty rough deaths once they got around 4 years old or so. I think being so low to the ground they were prone to getting infections and they pee/poo where they live so infections seemed to hit them pretty hard.

I have a cat now. way less work and yet way more annoying when she gets loud.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Your thread is not appreciated by Crozier:

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#49]
We just buried one of ours yesterday.
Cosmo has gone to the great Andes in the sky, and now Nugget is lonely and depressed.

Can’t say it out loud, but kind of hoping it hurries him along too… I’m sick of them.
It’s not so much the animal. They’re affectionate and kind of fun. But upkeep is time consuming. And there always seem to be little flies around them. I think they hatch from the Timothy hay.

I’m sick of feeding things. No mas, no mas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I had a couple sets of them as a kid.

They were cute pets but nobody sells cages that are really big enough for them so you either build your own or let them out a ton.

Mine would drink water like crazy. The wood chip bedding was basically useless. I couldn't buy enough wood chips to soak up the flood of pee. Plus they all died pretty rough deaths once they got around 4 years old or so. I think being so low to the ground they were prone to getting infections and they pee/poo where they live so infections seemed to hit them pretty hard.

I have a cat now. way less work and yet way more annoying when she gets loud.
View Quote

Things have improved, you can find much better cages online now and it’s recommended that you use fleece blankets in the bottom of their cage instead of cedar shavings. The fleece is reusable and better for them.

I had one in high school, my buddy got 2 of them and they started fighting so he gave me one. He looked just like Rodney from Dr Doolittle.
Poor little dude died from cancer, but he died with a carrot in his mouth (his favorite) getting loved on in my moms lap, he was about 4 years old.
I was out on a tugboat somewhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top