Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/26/2018 9:51:37 PM EDT

A constitutional amendment is being proposed for the state’s 2020 ballot that would  ban semiautomatic firearms in Florida. The petition drive and effort is being pushed by a Miami based organization known as Ban Assault Weapons NØW (BAWN) and they have some big names in their corner. A former Republican member of the Florida Senate is part of their committee of course to give it that bipartisan feel.

Their mission statement is simple;

Congress won’t act. The Florida Legislature won’t act. The only way to ban assault weapons like AR-15s and other weapons of war is for the people of Florida to go to the polls and vote. This campaign will place an amendment on the 2020 ballot in Florida to do what our elected leaders refuse to: Ban Assault Weapons NOW.
View Quote
According to the Tampa Bay Times, the group has raised nearly $410,000 since March, while spending almost $284,000, according to finance information. The expenditures included $75,000 last month to a California-based company for what was described in the finance information as “petitions.”

My own research into BAWN shows that they have a lengthy donation record through the Florida Department of State records.

Additionally, they are part of ActBlue. A nonprofit technology organization established in June 2004 that enables Democrats, progressive groups, and nonprofits to raise money on the internet by providing them with online fundraising software. Its stated mission is to “empower small-dollar donors”. Basically it is a Leftist GoFundMe for political causes.

Here is the actual petition.

If this petition gets enough signatures, is placed on the ballot, and passed in 2020. It would make any semi-automatic long gun in Florida with a capacity of ten rounds or more an “assault weapon” and ban them for future sale or possession. Additionally, it would require that Floridians register their firearms with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Failure to do so or possession after the grace period would be a third degree felony and that would automatically strip Floridians of their Second Amendment Rights. Furthermore, this would also invalidate Florida Criminal Statute 790.335 and 790.336. The prohibition on registration and keeping of lists/records.

Additionally, another more radical ballot measure is being proposed by Stop The Killing. Their goal is to outright ban the ownership of firearms in Florida.  A search of their financial records show that they for the most part haven’t had any support. But their mission statement is plain as day.

To change the Constitution of the State of Florida to include banning the ownership of military style weapons by private persons and restricting the ownership or possession of guns by criminals, habitual law breakers, repeat abusers, and persons who make violent threats to others.
View Quote
The actual petition can be read in full here.

This if passed would basically strip Floridians of any meaningful firearm.

In the end, the Gun Grabbers haven’t quit and even though they didn’t gain control of the Governor’s office. They do have the Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services’ seat and that controls Florida’s concealed carry weapon permit system. And I bet you that incoming commissioner Nikki Freid will use her office as a bully pulpit to support one of these ballot measures.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
fuck em
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fuck em
View Quote
Very dangerous to think they aren't a threat. Floridians just passed a Constitutional Amendment to automatically restore convicted felons of their voting rights and that needed over 60% voter approval.

This shit is dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They can fuck right off
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very dangerous to think they aren't a threat. Floridians just passed a Constitutional Amendment to automatically restore convicted felons of their voting rights and that needed over 60% voter approval.

This shit is dangerous.
View Quote
Achtung Bitte! Ihre Paparien?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
fuck em
View Quote
How'd that work out for MD again?

This needs to be paid attention to.  I don't live in FL, and at this rate I purposely never will because I value my rights and freedoms.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This shit is dangerous.
View Quote
I don't disagree that they are dangerous, they are the god damn left.

The question is "what do we do to effectively counter them when there seems to be an imperative at very high levels of wealth, power, and status to push at any cost, leftistism upon us whether we want it or not?"

I don't see a solution that works well.  The right is too stuck on fighting losing battles to concentrate it's efforts on things that will increase it's power base instead of pandering to a subset of voters that won't vote left no matter what.

We also need to rid the party of the RINOS and the McStain style "mavericks" that like to cross the isle.  How often does the left cross the isle and give something up?  NEVER.  It's always the right that is expected to bend for the left.

So, we need to reduce our plank footprint to only those topics that broaden our power.  We need to rid the party of those who will defy the party will.  We need to get rid of the politicians who put their own agendas above those of the people the serve.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Don’t worry about this. Plenty of members here said a vote for Scott is a vote against this sort of thing. Or at least that’s what they were saying pre-election...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How'd that work out for MD again?

This needs to be paid attention to.  I don't live in FL, and at this rate I purposely never will because I value my rights and freedoms.
View Quote
MD was doomed.  A gerrymandered supermajority that literally ignored overwhelming public testimony against SB281.  The worst of the worst live in and run MD and many like them move to FL to avoid our winters and insane taxes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don’t worry about this. Plenty of members here said a vote for Scott is a vote against this sort of thing. Or at least that’s what they were saying pre-election...
View Quote
Not sure what Rick Scott has to do with this, except for the fact that he will vote for Trump's judicial nominees, who are likely to overturn this garbage on second amendment grounds.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Logical direction to steer the discussion..
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Paula Dockery - life-long "Republican" who raised millions and has access to many, many more millions in businesses.

Country Club Republicans, who needs Democrats?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck off ass hats

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
So what's the play?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This shit is dangerous.
View Quote
This.

Never underestimate the stupidity of voters.

Voters in my state voted AGAINST repealing our dumb fucking extra tax on gasoline.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what's the play?
View Quote
Get 766,200 people to sign a petition, then have all the democrats, a good chunk of republicans, and independents to make 60% easily.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
There will be some large-scale mass shooting event 3 weeks prior to the vote.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Paula Dockery - life-long "Republican" who raised millions and has access to many, many more millions in businesses.

Country Club Republicans, who needs Democrats?
View Quote
Another day in the Republican Party of Florida.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So what's the play?
View Quote
Amend the State Constitution and get an AWB passed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get 766,200 people to sign a petition, then have all the democrats, a good chunk of republicans, and independents to make 60% easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what's the play?
Remember, in 2020. Felons get to vote.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Has Marion Hammer written a sternly worded letter yet?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Has Marion Hammer written a sternly worded letter yet?
View Quote
LOL.... when SB 7026 was being reported, she said she can't comment on it until it was officially released.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#23]
is there a right wing counter to this act blue?  if not how come?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
There could be, but a good majority of the Right Wing is Statist and Supports Gun Control.

They always say "I support the 2nd Amendment but...".
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#26]
When I learned of the constitutional review in Florida a few months ago I was immediately concerned. I am more concerned after midterms.
This is a grave danger and that’s not being over reactive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#27]
The Sons of Liberty are needed again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Sons of Liberty are needed again.
View Quote
Understatement
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Great. This is what I fear the most. It is too easy to amend the constitution in this state. The amendments are so vague and with multiple issues, I doubt most know what they are voting for.

If this is started we will probably have it on the books in 2020. Nothing but a Scotus  miracle will save us
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#30]
you just have to threaten all the republicans that you will punish them, by getting them voted out of office for not supporting any pro gun legislation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Grassroots effort to deport all statists now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I would bet money that the commies will get a weed law on the ballot to turn out more leftists.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would bet money that the commies will get a weed law on the ballot to turn out more leftists.
View Quote
Democrat Nikki Freid won the election for Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services. She is in charge of our CCW system. She has stated she will use her office as a bully pulpit to push gun control. She was previously a professional lobbyist for the marijuana industry. She's also going to push that too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys and Democrat controlled. Besides, all of the country's rejected fuck ups move to FL. Only 36% of our population is born in FL.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Rule #1, they will NEVER give up.

The gun grabbers, as dumb as they appear, aren’t.  They’re playing chess and slowly but unfortunately chipping away.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuck anyone that supports that bullshit
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
So..... you don't support people's rights to vote that did their time for their crime but expect everyone to support your right to bear arms?

Picking and choosing people's rights is the problem here to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So..... you don't support some people's rights to vote but expect everyone to support your right to bear arms?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So..... you don't support some people's rights to vote but expect everyone to support your right to bear arms?
Florida has 1/3 of the country's felons. We had a system where they can petition to get their rights restored. Gov. Scott fucked it all up. That gave the Democrats fuel to push an Amendment that automatically restores their rights. Traditionally, felons vote Democrat since their rap sheet and social stigma of being a felon lowers their job options. So they rely economically on welfare and government dole.

It was a political play by the Left to get more Leftist voters to the polls in the future to tip Florida over.

I'm for felons getting their rights back, all of them. Through a process where they prove to society that they are reformed. Part of punishment for being a criminal is the loss of your rights. Simply being released from jail doesn't end the punishment. Even the Founders agreed with that. But to make it automatic after they're released is bullshit. Why was the Amendment solely about voting rights? Why not gun rights, or in Florida's case. The right to hold any professional business license. But it wasn't. It was all calculated for the sole purpose to get the Dems a bump in the polls.

Because guess what, felons still can't get professional business licenses or own firearms.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Florida has 1/3 of the country's felons. We had a system where they can petition to get their rights restored. Gov. Scott fucked it all up. That gave the Democrats fuel to push an Amendment that automatically restores their rights. Traditionally, felons vote Democrat since their rap sheet and social stigma of being a felon lowers their job options. So they rely economically on welfare and government dole.

It was a political play by the Left to get more Leftist voters to the polls in the future to tip Florida over.

I'm for felons getting their rights back, all of them. Through a process where they prove to society that they are reformed. Part of punishment for being a criminal is the loss of your rights. Simply being released from jail doesn't end the punishment. Even the Founders agreed with that. But to make it automatic after they're released is bullshit. Why was the Amendment solely about voting rights? Why not gun rights, or in Florida's case. The right to hold any professional business license. But it wasn't. It was all calculated for the sole purpose to get the Dems a bump in the polls.

Because guess what, felons still can't get professional business licenses or own firearms.
View Quote
Well, most states allow felons to vote after they are out of the system. So welcome to America, Florida.

Your logic.

I am afraid of what you will do with your right to vote.

Their logic.

I am afraid of what you will do with your right to bear arms.

No logic.

ETA: You are the one that brought the issue up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, most states allow felons to vote after they are out of the system. So welcome to America, Florida.

Your logic.

Their logic.

No logic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your logic.

Their logic.

No logic.

Criminals voting on an amendment that will allow the .gov to disarm people...... something about that seems odd.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Geeze. I thought when the Consitutional Committee voted to not hear this, that would be the end of it for 20 years. But these people are definitely not giving up. They tried to have this as part of 7026, they tried to get the Committee to add it, and now they are trying to get 3/4million people to sign a petition.

They will get the signatures.

The crappiest thing is this is not even CLOSE to the top of the list of things people should be worried about.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Democrat Nikki Freid won the election for Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services. She is in charge of our CCW system. She has stated she will use her office as a bully pulpit to push gun control. She was previously a professional lobbyist for the marijuana industry. She's also going to push that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The stolen election no one talks about. Maybe the Governor can push to get the CCW away the AG/CS.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Run a campaign informing felons all their rights should be restored after they completed their sentence including their gun rights and watch the heads of the liberals explode
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#45]
If you put a bill that would enslave the population of Florida to the sugar farms it would pass.

I believe the majority of people don't read nor understand the ballots and just knee jerk yes to everything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The stolen election no one talks about. Maybe the Governor can push to get the CCW away the AG/CS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not gonna happen due to state statute.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Geeze. I thought when the Consitutional Committee voted to not hear this, that would be the end of it for 20 years. But these people are definitely not giving up. They tried to have this as part of 7026, they tried to get the Committee to add it, and now they are trying to get 3/4million people to sign a petition.

They will get the signatures.

The crappiest thing is this is not even CLOSE to the top of the list of things people should be worried about.
View Quote
They will never quit. That is why he fail. Because our side does when they hold office.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your logic.

Their logic.

No logic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your logic.

Their logic.

No logic.

I see you didn't read that we had a process where felons could get their rights restored and then Gov. Rick Scott fucked it all up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Commies turning sheepdogs into sheep
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top