Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL, trashcan design still belongs in a trash can.

Roller lock is literally the most retarded thing Ze Germans have ever invented, gun wise at least.

Their WW2 tank transmissions get an honorable mention, simply because they were attached to a gun.

Funny how AK's and even AR-15's don't need scheduled maintenance to literally the most important/dangerous dimension of the gun (headspace).

I'll make it simple for the mouth breathers, rollers concentrate force on a linear contact point, the AK and AR (and every other design) distribute the force on a planar contact area.

That's why the roller lock wears out so fast, needing bigger rollers every "x" number of rounds (and X = not very big number), greatly increased PSI.

Or kilograms per square meter, or whatever...

Fucking stupid ass design.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything has its functional time - and at one time the G3 offered a huge amount of optionality and interoperability - that little else offered.  Thats why the SAS chose to use it for along time...........in fact for a long period after the Falklands war.  But then again SMOKs were cool too :). Every dog has its day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree especially if he's talking about something with little info available.and he makes a speculation...

but not when it's things that are commonly known and he gets it wrong.  Inexcusable...period
View Quote

Regrettable, sure, but Inexcusable? What are we paying for his videos again?

What does it say about source citations for YouTube videos in the MLA handbook? What punishment is appropriate for the crime of making errors in YouTube videos?

Look I prefer accurate information too; but at least 50% of the stuff he covers is old, or I'm never going to own one for whatever reason. It's entertainment.

We got a lot of people wound very tight about this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The FAL is still in use in large numbers, and by many countries, just not by many that sent troops to Afghanistan (I think only New Zealand sent troops with FALs in DMR roles, although more recently they have been replaced in this role; the RNZN still makes some use of them).

Large numbers of countries in Africa and Latin America, some in Asia, and some in Europe, still use them to varying degrees.  They still see action in those countries involved with external  conflicts, problems with drug cartels and violent poachers, or issues with terrorism or insurrection, as well as those in the thralls of civil war.  The Netherlands donated all of its FALs owned by the Army and Air Force (Navy still uses them for some purposes, and so they kept theirs) to the Kurdish Peshmerga for the fight against ISIS (I got to see some pictures of Dutch troops taking them out to shoot one last time before shipping them out).

I'd take a modernized FAL over a modernized G-3, easily.  Put a railed scope mount on it, a set of MLOK handguards on it, set it up for QD swivels, put a Minimi/SAW grip on it, an extended selector, and, if using a folder, putting on one of those cheek rests I've seen for the FNC which can help with optics.  Put it in its lightweight configuration (trigger housing, magazines, and several other parts being made of hiduminium instead of steel; a 17" Para FAL in a basic configuration like this can come in under 8 1/2 lbs. with magazine, maybe even down to 8 1/4) and utilize sand-cut components.  For some extra weight, the DSA BRS can be used, which gives it a stock with functions similar to the type on SCARs and other 7.62mm combat rifles of the latest generation.  I find the ergonomics of the FAL to be quite superior to the G-3, and I find them to have better triggers, and so modernized, the FAL really doesn't fail to offer anything substantial which a similarly modernized G-3 does in fact offer (the modernized G-3s basically have similar upgrades; modular handguard, rail for mounting optics, some changes or additions to the stock to make them better for optics, etc.).

I'm not sure where this whole "FAL has completely fallen by the wayside, while the G-3 soldiers on around the world" thing common here came from, as it is not rooted in reality.  Both see continued use in substantial numbers, and both are really good enough to be able to do so and continue to do so.  I believe both are still produced to some extent [IMBEL, at least, for the FAL (not sure if FMAP shut down its production again, or if Nigeria shut down its production), and I'm fairly certain at least one licensed producer of military G-3s still makes them].  Some countries use both side-by-side (Greece, Pakistan, Mexico, etc.).

Something like these, but perhaps with more modular handguards (or even as-is) would seem to be plenty serviceable:

https://res.cloudinary.com/enliven/image/upload/c_fill,g_faces,q_auto:eco,f_auto,dpr_1.0,w_1024,h_1536/v1/imageset/rgp_tfsc_rhino_tears_2016_1293.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/enliven/image/upload/c_fill,g_faces,q_auto:eco,f_auto,dpr_1.0,w_1024,h_682/v1/imageset/rgp_tfsc_rhino_tears_2016_1264_1.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/enliven/image/upload/c_fill,g_faces,q_auto:eco,f_auto,dpr_1.0,w_1024,h_1536/v1/imageset/rgp_tfsc_rhino_tears_2016_1059.jpg

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-equipment-used-by-the-special-antipoaching-operations-unit-whilst-picture-id142474873?s=2048x2048

And then there are these private efforts at modernization, using what's on the market, as well as a picture of one of Brazil's modernized configurations:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50906535592_6ebd91050d_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50905710943_41c462b4ab_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50906535557_fd74e5c3ac_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50905710923_4231ce0298_c.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jcOidvU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hwFY5yYh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETVAqfrUwAAyShv?format=jpg&name=small

https://uca5ec8847f805fe0f30e02fbcad.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/inline/BIQIF3PqzVk_13M-pxO_lMBJ0z68cbgjz0OeYdUpq9v_Az1_2BDNV3Xhks9TeKmHBracZH1uy0DcBwiAC5q4sunQb-2_JIBI_-ek3RIsfLgcVPcTbyP8RrKmLBO0u6r3c6E/file#
View Quote

These look really cool, thanks for sharing.

So who wants to do a side-by-side "build off" where there are some ground rules agreed upon about parts, and 1 or 2 members build, weigh and compare everything including price at the end?

Is a certain model DSA and a certain model PTR a fair starting point?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He's also been dead for sixty years, so he can't curate his own website about the topic.  He also wasn't the only person involved.  He also didn't document *everything* (just a shitload).  He was also human.  History is messy.

And some people are insufferably jealous & bitter.

You know, Ian has comments open on his site; maybe drop your encyclopedic knowledge there to correct him when he's mistaken on occasion.  God forbid he ever misstate one figment of minutiae on a huge, sprawling, highly technical topic, for your unpaid entertainment.

It's not a matter of fanbois & haters, this is just...sad.  Comic book nerd shit times a thousand.

View Quote

You know, if we (collectively) can't actually do something constructive, then I'll definitely settle for @barnbwt takedowns.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I've built both rifles. And the FAL was much easier. That roller lock can be a pain to get working right. Wrong angle on that wedge and oops.
To build a Cetme or Hk you need to bend a flat and then weld the joints. And hope the bend came out right. HK runs a formed die through the finished receiver to make sure it is correct.
The barrel trunnion has to be spot welded to the receiver and then the barrel pressed in, head spaced and then pinned in place. Lots of work building a Cetme. And holes to get in the right spot.
A FAL only needs the receiver. Unless you like to do a lot of machine work a FFL receiver is what you need.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nah I'm just going to refrain from selling myself as an all knowing gun expert.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you should try producing a 10-20 minute video every day for years without getting the occasional piece of trivia wrong.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYjl-H-ep5s&list=PL9e3UCcU00TR3ajEY_naGX7xjHBwfwplu&index=30&t=2022s

He specifically says that he isn't an expert. Do you know what a strawman argument is?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Roller lock is literally the most retarded thing Ze Germans have ever invented, gun wise at least.

Their WW2 tank transmissions get an honorable mention, simply because they were attached to a gun.

Funny how AK's and even AR-15's don't need scheduled maintenance to literally the most important/dangerous dimension of the gun (headspace).

I'll make it simple for the mouth breathers, rollers concentrate force on a linear contact point, the AK and AR (and every other design) distribute the force on a planar contact area.

That's why the roller lock wears out so fast, needing bigger rollers every "x" number of rounds (and X = not very big number), greatly increased PSI.

View Quote

My old man probably has 20k through his HK91 he's had since I can remember (Im 40), his bolt gap is still 0.013

My PTR-91 GIR has probably 8k through it and it's bolt gap is 0.016
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you guys get bent out of shape over really trivial shit
View Quote

I’m still pissed that he mispronounced Ljungman in one of his early videos.

He also mispronounces Husqvarna every time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

*click*
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd argue it also handily beats the /other/ contemporary, the 308 AK variants, in modernization.  Really, it was the only battle rifle with decent futureproofness (not a real word) and that was due to the highly modular design unique to the platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G3 does modernize better than the FAL.

This, I thought this was the point of his video.

Of course GD goes full retard comparing it to an AR10

I'd argue it also handily beats the /other/ contemporary, the 308 AK variants, in modernization.  Really, it was the only battle rifle with decent futureproofness (not a real word) and that was due to the highly modular design unique to the platform.

Laughs in SCAR
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Laughs in SCAR
View Quote

until it breaks
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

until it breaks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughs in SCAR

until it breaks

From an armorer:

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That’s what you get for buying Belgian crap, when you could’ve bought Teutonic steel.
View Quote

That will whip your ass into shape with Teutonic efficiency.

I love my "Kraut jackhammer."
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what you get for buying Belgian crap, when you could’ve bought Teutonic steel.

I love my Teutonic goodness

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Well, the guns for the school for that unit (paracommandos) are Belgian as well, and not crap.  They kept these around for training (as well as some FNCs) because the SCARs broke too easily and too frequently.  Don't you guys use Belgian guns as standard-issue (FNC)?

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#20]
G3 rifles are good but have some drawbacks.  They're all heavy because of that massive receiver and bolt carrier.  The charging handle is awkward and the other ergonomics might be bad too depending on the configuration and furniture.  The trigger's a bit heavy.  

I'd rather have an M14-type.  It weighs about a pound less, has a perfect trigger, better sights (longer radius, click-adjustable windage, more elevation range, better sight picture, no wobble in the rear aperture), has a shorter profile top-to-bottom, can take a shooting sling, is easier to clean, etc.  The action's open but that might work both ways if you need to clear the debris out with your fingers.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Not talking about PCC's like the MP5, with weak little 9mm pew pews, talking about high power, like 308.

OP keeps accurate count of the MP5 @500,000... but dances all around their G3 round count. and never will give a direct answer, just an "upgrade the rollers when it starts to jam, until that don't work no more"

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-My-experiences-with-high-round-count-HK-s-and-HK-clones/9-476802/?page=3

Outside of major breakage, and with regular spring changes (as all guns should get) AK/AR will be good for 100,000 rounds, easy, and by that time the barrel will be about shot out anyways.

Roller lock issues? Malfunctions that randomly begin as the trunnion/bolt start to wear down... requiring new rollers to keep it running.

And, once it does finally wear out past the ability of new rollers to compensate, replacement is a major rebuild with all the issues that entails, like welding in new trunnions, tuning it to run right, again...

AR15 is about a 5 minute job to replace the barrel and bolt, that includes picking your nose.

AK47 system is a bit more involved than an AR15, but still much less than an H&K, and with none of the "tuning" issues involved in rebuilding a roller lock.

The HK design has no bolt handle and no forward assist, which i just plain dumb on a combat/hunting rifle.  

Roller lock is more ammo sensitive than other designs, maybe even as bad as the M1 Garand.

Can't be easily suppressed unless it's built specifically for that. No quick changes like gas guns. It's a TUNED system, like the USAF Zip22

If you do get it actually dirty, it's a PITA to clean, if you do get sand in it, it's toast short of a major cleaning.

AK laughs at sand and freeze/condensation cycles.

Like a lot of German designs, it's a great gun, as long as everything is perfect, but it's sensitive to chaos. Combat is literally chaos.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
G3 rifles are good but have some drawbacks.  They're all heavy because of that massive receiver and bolt carrier.  The charging handle is awkward and the other ergonomics might be bad too depending on the configuration and furniture.  The trigger's a bit heavy.  

I'd rather have an M14-type.  It weighs about a pound less, has a perfect trigger, better sights (longer radius, click-adjustable windage, more elevation range, better sight picture, no wobble in the rear aperture), has a shorter profile top-to-bottom, can take a shooting sling, is easier to clean, etc.  The action's open but that might work both ways if you need to clear the debris out with your fingers.  

View Quote

There is a reason no other country adopted the M14. We couldn’t even give them away.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not talking about PCC's like the MP5, with weak little 9mm pew pews, talking about high power, like 308.

OP keeps accurate count of the MP5 @500,000... but dances all around their G3 round count. and never will give a direct answer, just an "upgrade the rollers when it starts to jam, until that don't work no more"

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-My-experiences-with-high-round-count-HK-s-and-HK-clones/9-476802/?page=3

Outside of major breakage, and with regular spring changes (as all guns should get) AK/AR will be good for 100,000 rounds, easy, and by that time the barrel will be about shot out anyways.

Roller lock issues? Malfunctions that randomly begin as the trunnion/bolt start to wear down... requiring new rollers to keep it running.

And, once it does finally wear out past the ability of new rollers to compensate, replacement is a major rebuild with all the issues that entails, like welding in new trunnions, tuning it to run right, again...

AR15 is about a 5 minute job to replace the barrel and bolt, that includes picking your nose.

AK47 system is a bit more involved than an AR15, but still much less than an H&K, and with none of the "tuning" issues involved in rebuilding a roller lock.

The HK design has no bolt handle and no forward assist, which i just plain dumb on a combat/hunting rifle.  

Roller lock is more ammo sensitive than other designs, maybe even as bad as the M1 Garand.

Can't be easily suppressed unless it's built specifically for that. No quick changes like gas guns. It's a TUNED system, like the USAF Zip22

If you do get it actually dirty, it's a PITA to clean, if you do get sand in it, it's toast short of a major cleaning.

Like a lot of German designs, it's a great gun, as long as everything is perfect, but it's sensitive to chaos. Combat is literally chaos.

View Quote
my 91 will eat anything I feed it. It’s nowhere near as picky as you say it is.

And if I get it dirty? Roller guns are filthy and will shoot absolutely filthy.

Trunnion/bolt wear down? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Do you even know what the bolt gap is and how to check it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The more you post in this thread, the stronger my suspicious that you probably have somewhere between little and no experience shooting a G3 (or Hk91) rifle.

Posts like that one illustrate that pretty clearly.  I’m guessing you have never actually gotten one dirty, nor ever had to clean one.

You know that lots of combat vets on this site - you know, people who have actually seen and experienced AKs in combat - generally laugh at fanboy myths like this, right?  The AK is not that reliable, and certainly no more so than a G3.

Holy fuck, I love the internet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you post in this thread, the stronger my suspicious that you probably have somewhere between little and no experience shooting a G3 (or Hk91) rifle.

Posts like that one illustrate that pretty clearly.  I’m guessing you have never actually gotten one dirty, nor ever had to clean one.

You know that lots of combat vets on this site - you know, people who have actually seen and experienced AKs in combat - generally laugh at fanboy myths like this, right?  The AK is not that reliable, and certainly no more so than a G3.

I have to agree with you here as an owner and shooter of all of these rifles and an unabashed m14 platform enthusiast, good ? Yes, better nope,. Really people?  All of these rifles performed well.  They’re not AR style rifles and were designed for a different role in a different time.  If you want to shoot a modern .308 pick something else..
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have to agree with you here as an owner and shooter of all of these rifles and an unabashed m14 platform enthusiast, good ? Yes, better nope,. Really people?  All of these rifles performed well.  They’re not AR style rifles and were designed for a different role in a different time.  If you want to shoot a modern .308 pick something else..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of these comments are right on. It's extremely easy to tell when someone doesn't have the experience with a platform they are claiming to.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is a reason no other country adopted the M14. We couldn’t even give them away.
View Quote

Not true we managed to give away quite a few during 90's   ...  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not true we managed to give away quite a few during 90's   ...  
View Quote

I meant like another country adopted it as their standard service rifle and we would just give them to them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Laughs in SCAR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G3 does modernize better than the FAL.

This, I thought this was the point of his video.

Of course GD goes full retard comparing it to an AR10

Laughs in SCAR

Look up the definition of "contemporary" sometime.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Garand type actions are notoriously vulnerable to debris fouling, and no, wiping off the outside of the T slot tracks does not fix that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
The worship of the guntard who read a book once. I don't bother.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Outside of major breakage, and with regular spring changes (as all guns should get) AK/AR will be good for 100,000 rounds, easy, and by that time the barrel will be about shot out anyways."

No.  Not even close.  You'll be through barrels, bolts, trunnions, receivers, firing pins, gas blocks --all in multiples-- long before reaching that number.

WTH does "major breakages" mean?  That the gun ISN'T good to reach that ridiculous 100k figure?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AK is legitimately tolerant of poor manufacturing quality (the HK is perhaps the worst in this regard) and that is a virtue.  Just not one that comes into play as much in first world countries.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Ok, so I listened to his yack. "Different climactic conditions". This does not mean what Ian thinks it means. Lol This does not mean different climates. He is not as smart as he thinks he is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, the guns for the school for that unit (paracommandos) are Belgian as well, and not crap.  They kept these around for training (as well as some FNCs) because the SCARs broke too easily and too frequently.  Don't you guys use Belgian guns as standard-issue (FNC)?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50529661551_1afafc29b8_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50529661551_1afafc29b8_b.jpg

The FNC is a meh weapon. It's too heavy for a 5.56 carbine, and it's not as rugged as a G3.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

Ours have a knurled surface on the bolt carrier, you can stick your thumb in the ejection port and force the action forward. It's great for silently loading the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lol

Ours have a knurled surface on the bolt carrier, you can stick your thumb in the ejection port and force the action forward. It's great for silently loading the weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I like that feature on the Swedish rifles.  My AR-15 is like that instead of having a forward assist.  Larry Vickers had a cutout like that put on the bolt carrier on one of his FALs, inspired by the Swedish example.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I like that feature on the Swedish rifles.  My AR-15 is like that instead of having a forward assist.  Larry Vickers had a cutout like that put on the bolt carrier on one of his FALs, inspired by the Swedish example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Just this week I held a class for a bunch of conscripts on basic weapons handling.

I had them practice loading/unloading, silent loading, and clearing stoppages for hours. The temp was about -15C.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#41]
While looking for a picture of an FAL FA hole I found this from LV. "For my particular version I used an Israeli mag release, a Norwegian AK4 style modified FAL bolt carrier with forward assist scallop, and DSA scope mount"

I'd like to see a picture of that. Still looking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

@CherokeeRose

Why do you have the believe that a forward assist is a value add on a rifle ?   The only reason it came about on the M16 was because the Army insisted.  Neither the Marine Corps or the Air Force felt it was needed,  most experienced shooters are of the of the opinion that if the round won't chamber on it's own it probably shouldn't be forced into the chamber.  

I remember being SPORTS in the Army ,   but I think it's a bad idea to help a round into the chamber that will not go on it's own.  I have an AR build with no forward assist  and it has never failed to chamber a round 10, 000 rounds and counting at this point.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
While looking for a picture of an FAL FA hole I found this from LV. "For my particular version I used an Israeli mag release, a Norwegian AK4 style modified FAL bolt carrier with forward assist scallop, and DSA scope mount"

I'd like to see a picture of that. Still looking.
View Quote

I've seen it.  He also screwed a M1903 Springfield sling swivel and base to the handguard to attach a tactical sling there, and also has a light mounted to the handguard (a Surefire G2, I think) using a pic rail section attached through the vent holes.  It has a 16.25" barrel, and IIRC, it has the Austrian style fixed plastic stock.  He has a Schmidt and Bender Short Dot II mounted to it, as I recall, and uses a BFG VCAS with it.  Trigger housing is aluminum.  There's a photo of him holding it at a class years ago.

ETA: @ryder12 Here it is.  Unfortunately, the sling swivel and scallop cut are not visible in it.  I don't think I've seen a photo of that side of it.  IIRC, there's one more photo of it from that day on the Internet, or used to be, but it also doesn't show those details.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@ CherokeeRose

Why do you have the believe that a forward assist is a value add on a rifle ?   The only reason it came about on the M16 was because the Army insisted.  Neither the Marine Corps or the Air Force felt it was needed,  most experienced shooters are of the of the opinion that if the round won't chamber on it's own it probably shouldn't be forced into the chamber.  

I remember being SPORTS in the Army ,   but I think it's a bad idea to help a round into the chamber that will not go on it's own.  I have an AR build with no forward assist  and it has never failed to chamber a round 10, 000 rounds and counting at this point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ CherokeeRose

I hope you've changed your recoil spring at least once.

There are times when you need to chamber a round quietly, or (god forbid) do a chamber check. Quietly.

Or take the safety off quietly (a downfall of the AK, if you don't know the art of moving the safety quietly). In Vietnam you'd here "clicketly click" right before an ambush kicked off.

I read an account of a US soldier in Iraq that made it through a gun fight (during a sand storm) by slapping the forward assist every round, when his gun started jamming halfway through the fight. For some reason the jihad rifles kept shooting just fine.

Sorry...

I'm sure you never needed to use the forward assist on your well maintained, clean m16, during a nice safe target shooting match, without mud/blood/sand flying everywhere, & you can call time out at any time.

The AK design can literally be cleaned with anything, the M16 is a bit more involved, a special swab may be needed, although I treat mine like a princess, so I've never even bought one of those star shaped swabs.

A roller lock has fiddly bits. Sure, the rollers are hard, and the trunnion is hard, and ment to crush sand, if needed, but that's not always enough. Tiny moving parts on a locking mechanism on the most important part of the gun?

Such German, Very Reich, Much Fuhrer

The German design concept is one major reason they lost.

Sure, they had the "best" gear in the world... and it also required the highest maintenance.

The HK is a tuned mechanism, something as simple as having to use a different brand of ammo, or adding a suppressor can make it jam up, like shooting a 300BlowOut semi.

What was the count on variations for various tunings that HK went though to get it "right"?

87 variants to find the propper geometry?

What a nightmare to service...

A gas gun? You can just put on an adjustable gas block and keep on trucking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There are times when you need to chamber a round quietly, or (god forbid) do a chamber check. Quietly.

Or take the safety off quietly (a downfall of the AK, if you don't know the art of moving the safety quietly). In Vietnam you'd here "clicketly click" right before an ambush kicked off.

I read an account of a US soldier in Iraq that made it through a gun fight (during a sand storm) by slapping the forward assist every round, when his gun started jamming halfway through the fight. For some reason the jihad rifles kept shooting just fine.

Sorry...

I'm sure you never needed to use the forward assist on your well maintained, clean m16, during a nice safe target shooting match, without mud/blood/sand flying everywhere, & you can call time out at any time.

The AK design can literally be cleaned with anything, the M16 is a bit more involved, a special swab may be needed, although I treat mine like a princess, so I've never even bought one of those star shaped swabs.

A roller lock has fiddly bits. Sure, the rollers are hard, and the trunnion is hard, and ment to crush sand, if needed, but that's not always enough. Tiny moving parts on a locking mechanism on the most important part of the gun?

Sure, they had the "best" gear in the world... and it also required the highest maintenance.

The HK is a tuned mechanism, something as simple as having to use a different brand of ammo, or adding a suppressor can make it jam up, like shooting a 300BlowOut semi.

What was the count on variations for various tunings that HK went though to get it "right"?

View Quote

You make lots of really bad assumptions about what others have done.  

Having said that , you can chamber rounds quietly without a forward assist  its fact  and you're wrong about the HK its not a hard tuned system.  I have owned a couple of real HK91's and they ran flawlessly along with one of the Greek made rifles Springfield imported years back , again no issues.

All HK G3 patter rifles I've seen with problems were improperly assembled builds , think CAI,  Hesse,  and some drunk home builder.

As long as I fed the G3 pattern rifles I owned SAAMI spec ammo they ran fine.   My complaints with the G3 rifles have to do with them launching my brass into orbit and damaging the brass if you do not have a port buffer on the rifle . That is   not really a consideration in combat .

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sorry...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ CherokeeRose

Sorry...

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The British SAS enjoyed the G3 in different guises for a long time including the MC51 which was in effect a MP5 in 7.62.
View Quote

Sure did, the 80s and early 90s were the heyday, mainly for CT use. But if you look at the competition then it makes perfect sense, nothing was as modular or well developed then. But then again the SLR and armalite were in use then as well more for green ops depending.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry...

View Quote

I'll have to do the DKprof LOL...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#49]
launching rounds and butchering brass was solved on my FMP G-3 using the number 17 locking piece.

Mines functions fine with the suppressor and no suppressor on it.

With my sear ...it cycles and functions.

No complaints after 2k rounds through it easily.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/cNznwzg.png

Attachment Attached File

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top