Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What a maroon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

His second vid of another grenade goes off I guess or something seems to go bang.
View Quote

Are you really that stupid?

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Happens to the best of them

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hello, I'm an idiot.  How does a grenade work?  I thought it was pull pin, ignites fuse, grenade goes boom?  Or not, in this case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread there will be idiots that think a grenade goes boom only because the pin was pulled.

Hello, I'm an idiot.  How does a grenade work?  I thought it was pull pin, ignites fuse, grenade goes boom?  Or not, in this case.

The pin holds the spoon down.    There is a spring loaded hammer under the spoon that is constantly pushing up on it.  
When you pull the pin, all you do is free the spoon.     When you let go of the spoon, the hammer will now be able to flip over and hit the primer on the fuse.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy didn't pull the pin.  Notice that you never see him pull the pin.  If you read in the comments he says he cut away then threw a rock.  He called the police who took care of the grenade.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In this thread there will be idiots that think a grenade goes boom only because the pin was pulled.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No Darwin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't know they were black powder powered
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a US grenade the pin is only a safety to keep the spoon in place. The spoon holds down a spring loaded striker (like a flapper). When the spoon is released, the striker flapper snaps over striking a primer which ignites a fuse (powder train).

The fuse is inside a brass cylinder with a hole in the bottom. When the fuse burns down to the bottom, it lights the igniter then the black powder charge is set off. Boom.

http://grenadelauncher.com/US-hand-grenades.jpg

The ones I used in the Army were Composition B powered.

ETA- On this particular model, you had to pop off a "jungle" clip that kept the pin from coming out accidentally, as remote a possibility as that is.  If you have ever tossed these you know how fucking tight that pin is.  Always laugh now when dudes in the movies pull them with their teeth.

Cooking one off is always spooky on a 4-5 second fuze.  4-5 seconds isn't reassuring, that's a pretty big window, and what's the margin of error on that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

DUDE the guy messes with a hortet nest and gets one ot the face at the end of that video that funny as hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He found another one.

http://youtu.be/TgmMy8Hq8oI

8:30 in for the ADD challenged.

DUDE the guy messes with a hortet nest and gets one ot the face at the end of that video that funny as hell.

That scared the crap out of me
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm interested in this.

Not the grenade but what you think about his accent :)

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Great, now there is another even more dangerous piece of UXO out there in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What a maroon.  Hell no, I wouldn't be messin' around with that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Fucking with live ancient EOD is some serious Darwin award in the making shit.

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Skip to 19 min to see what happens? OP sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a US grenade the pin is only a safety to keep the spoon in place. The spoon holds down a spring loaded striker (like a flapper). When the spoon is released, the striker flapper snaps over striking a primer which ignites a fuse (powder train).

The fuse is inside a brass cylinder with a hole in the bottom. When the fuse burns down to the bottom, it lights the igniter then the black powder charge is set off. Boom.

http://grenadelauncher.com/US-hand-grenades.jpg

During WWII the early grenades were filled with smokeless powder, then transitioned to HE grenades filled with TNT.  Modern grenades are HE also with Either Comp B or one of the PAX fills.

I'm not sure if the MkI used in WWI was black or smokeless powder, but it was a low explosive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Hello?

It's for you...

Some guy by the name of Darwin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

His second video isnt too bad for finds.

http://youtu.be/TgmMy8Hq8oI
View Quote
Can someone please do a Gif of 4:44

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Most underestimate the power of a grenade. I wouldn't ever throw one and try to use a tree as big as I am as cover.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm interested in this.

Not the grenade but what you think about his accent :)

View Quote

He was annoying, but his accent didn't bother me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most underestimate the power of a grenade. I wouldn't ever throw one and try to use a tree as big as I am as cover.
View Quote

This. And most Marines I knew of were skittish when handling live ones. I gave no such fucks and ended up being the only one in the company to throw some outside of SOI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top