User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats a fact

more than once's Ive smelled them before seeing or hearing them.  

That's not a good feeling
View Quote

This may be a dumb question but what does a bear smell like? While out hiking recently with my wife I smelled something I've not smelled before, and thought it may have been a bear. I only had my .45 and my wife her .38 and I felt under gunned for the first time ever. I now pack an AR pistol while hiking if possible.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, when hunting in griz country, we use the "buddy" system.   If one guy is bent over the carcass, the other guy covers his ass.      Don't split up until the shooter is done and can pay more attention to his surroundings.

View Quote
The only times we post a guard is when a bear has already found our kill, if we left it overnight.

However if a bear raids your meat house it will keep coming back even after being shot at. They have a patience time of about 35 to 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is amazing how fast a bear is and how much lead they can soak up when their adrenaline is up. I've had lots of experience with brown bears, grizzlies, and black bears. A guide I worked with on Kodiak carried a double rifle chambered in 500 nitro for going in the alders after a wounded bear.

I have noticed areas that have general hunting seasons on them have less problems than permit areas partly because obnoxious ones in the general area get killed. Personally I wouldn't want to live somewhere where there is no bears. Things that go bump in the night while camping tends to make you feel more alive. Also I don't trust bear spray, although sometimes it's a pain in the ass, I prefer a shotgun with slugs for my bedside companion and general camp life. Rip to the hunter, I don't know the details, but my condolences to his family.
View Quote
Welcome

Kodiak is a creepy fucking place at night.

My wife lived at Chisana for a couple years when she first came to Alaska.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ive mentioned before but my 26 year old cousin was eaten alive by a black bear in Alaska a couple years ago. When the heli found her, the bear was guarding the corpse. Her work partner played dead and got to hear what was happening. Erin had charged the bear when it first went after her coworker and it turned on her.

She spent her whole life around bears and the outdoors.  My aunt and uncle will never be the same.

Prayers out for you Erin, Im so sorry.

This specifically was a Cinnamon Bear, a member of the black bear family. They dont LOOK that dangerous. Happened in a remote area they were taking geo samples for a gold mine.
View Quote
POGO Mine? North of Delta Junction?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of ours shot one across a small ravine and it slid down the snow like a 6 foot paint brush of blood. He got his camera out of his pack and took a picture then put it away and the bear was gone. It was 300 yards uphill from where it died before collapsing. Heart shot.

Better to use a bonded soft point that mushrooms than hard cast/solids on black bears.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sitka blacktail deer aren't that big.

I've been hunting all my life on baranof island (one of the densest brown bear populations in the world), I've killed hundreds of deer and when up off the beach, we just gut em out and drag them to the boat. Never had a problem but situational awareness is important. I was involved (SAR) with the recovery of a drunk guy that was eaten and body parts buried, while the sow was out in the bushes pissed off. We stood guard while AST and law enforcement rounded up what was left of him. They ended up killing 7 bears over the next few days till they got the right ones.
View Quote
7 or 8 years ago somebody got mauled upriver on the McClaren the day we came out. My airboat was already loaded up when the Troopers asked if we wanted to give them a ride and go bear hunting, I declined. They have helicopters, bring one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This may be a dumb question but what does a bear smell like? While out hiking recently with my wife I smelled something I've not smelled before, and thought it may have been a bear. I only had my .45 and my wife her .38 and I felt under gunned for the first time ever. I now pack an AR pistol while hiking if possible.
View Quote

I would describe it as a combination of bad body odor and garbage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would describe it as a combination of bad body odor and garbage.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Not trying to change the subject, but have you guys ever watched the documentary about "Grizzly Man"?  That dude was missing a few marbles, I laughed so much during that movie. I was kind of happy he was eaten by the bear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Black bear in our part of PA know the meaning of a rifle shot during deer season.  Usually they'll pace around and huff trying to get you to move on from your kill.  A few guys I've heard of have been scared off and left their whole deer, but most times Mr Bear has to settle for a get pile.
View Quote

Don't you guys bear hunt? What county?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not trying to change the subject, but have you guys ever watched the documentary about "Grizzly Man"?  That dude was missing a few marbles, I laughed so much during that movie. I was kind of happy he was eaten by the bear.
View Quote
Only a matter of time before being eaten.
Guy was .
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]

To grizzleys....that is seasoning.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top