Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What ever fits his hand and he’s comfortable with. May be a glock, May be something else.
Glock doesn’t fit my grip, but a CZ does.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
VP9SK or P30SK if the gun must serve CCW and home protect duty.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M&P 9 compact
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were just for home and car, I'd say Glock 19. Since it will also be a CC piece, I'm going to say Glock 43 with +2 mags.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Home defense and concealed carry are different jobs that necessitate different tools for most people.

Guns like the G19, M&P 9c, P-10c, etc are an odd compromise that is less than ideal. These guns are too large for most people to CC every day, and they make compromises on things like capacity, sight radius, and recoil.

A $1k budget easily allows the purchase of two different firearms that are more appropriate for the jobs in question.

For CCW, I would suggest options like the G42/G43, Shield, or even a LCR/J-frame because a gun someone actually carries is better than one they leave on the nightstand.

For HD, I would suggest an AR or PCC of some form. If it has to be a handgun for some reason, I'd suggest the G34/17, the Beretta 92, Walther PPQ, CZ SP-01 etc. Something full size and full capacity with a rail and a good sight radius.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
For $1000, G19 and a G43.

Or as another poster said, a G19 and an AR.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I think everyone will agree that 9mm is the way to go.  With the budget of $1K, any of the following would then be acceptable:

Glock 17/19 (I'd also allow a 26, if he likes subcompact; it's certainly the most reliable of the subs).

Smith M&P, either full or compact.

Beretta 92

SIG P2022, P226 or P228 (no P320 until we KNOW the bugs are worked out).

CZ P-07, P-09, or any of the 75 variety.

I think each of the above is about equal in quality, and I'd trust them to provide a lifetime of workhorse service.  Let him pick whichever feels best in his hand.  I wouldn't sniff if he picked out a Ruger, HK, or Walther, either.  And while I wouldn't recommend a revolver, I'd allow a Smith or Ruger in .357 if he's in love with wheelguns.

No Taurus, no XD, no ridiculous D Eagle or some other equivalent.

Then I'd recommend a good holster, 1000 rounds of FMJ, 100 rounds of quality JHP, and a good handgun/CCW class.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
G19X
APLc
TR IWB holster
Federal HST 147gr +P

For the budget, that is a capable concealable handgun, holster, sufficient mags, and good ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Keep saving his money until he triples his budget, because he's gonna need a quality holster, quality belt, lots of ammo, a range membership, and several courses with competent instructors. Then Glock, M&P, H&K, or Kahr.
View Quote
The $1k is just for the firearm. I told him if he can't afford the accessories and training, go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
P30, SK if small size counts, L if size doesn't matter.
View Quote
with a $1k budget i agree 100%
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't waste money on a Glock. It's a shit gun for the price. You're paying for the brand, not the features. You're getting less and worse features than comparative handguns from other companies.
View Quote
Say What?!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
View Quote
OP knew this before he posted.  I might suggest the new 19X, which looks pretty sweet, and I like the bigger grip.  Can't go wrong with a G19 for a newb.

ETA:  You also can't go wrong with an H&K hammer-fired gun, such as the P30, but you need the light LEM trigger.  DA/SA is bad.  I mostly carry LEM H&K's these days, but for a newb the simplicity of the Glock is strong.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Friday Cabelas advert for P365 at $599 for the gun, an iwb holster, a 12 round mag, and a couple of boxes of ammo, hp and ball.

Good deal.
View Quote
I heard they have striker and trigger pack issues?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
View Quote
FPNI.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP knew this before he posted.  I might suggest the new 19X, which looks pretty sweet, and I like the bigger grip.  Can't go wrong with a G19 for a newb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
Can someone fill me in on the 19X? I don't see the appeal. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, not the barrel. Longer barrel provides better sight radius. Why wouldn't I just carry a G19 with a 17 mag or better yet, carry a G17? Flame on little Johnny.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever firearm he gets MAKE SURE he gets a very high quality belt and holster.  Nothing turns a person off to daily carrying more than an inadequate belt and holster.  He needs to get comfortable with the daily routine of putting a gun on, not printing, and especially not having your pants sag or fall down always pulling them up and tucking in all the while being on edge because hes carrying.  A quality rig minimizes these things and makes it become 2nd nature when getting dressed.  I like CZ and Sig but he should get what HE feels comfortable and confident with.  This might not be the most expensive option but don't skimp out on the belt and holster.  I like Looper and Beltman belts and crossbreed and Mtac holsters, but this too is a rather personalized decision...
View Quote
THIS!!

Next, you both need to get to a local pistol shoot.  USPSA, IDPA - it does not matter which.  Use your carry guns and GET SOME PRACTICE drawing and shooting quickly.

Defensive shootings unfold very quickly.  Are you ready?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Just about any double stack "compact" handgun will do. Tell your buddy to go finger fuck everything at the gun store not labeled "Taurus" and buy the one that fits his hand
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger LCP for carry, shotgun for home defense.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can someone fill me in on the 19X? I don't see the appeal. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, not the barrel. Longer barrel provides better sight radius. Why wouldn't I just carry a G19 with a 17 mag or better yet, carry a G17? Flame on little Johnny.
View Quote
The 19X is the best handgun I have ever owned.  Barrel is short enough to be comfortable IWB for me, grip length doesn't bother me at all.  Accurate as hell, too.  Awesome pistol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]
HK USP compact
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
View Quote
FPNI

Get a Glock 19 first.  If the grip is too big to conceal, then maybe a Glock 26 later.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
HK USP compact
View Quote
No enough information.  Caliber?  Trigger configuration?  I am carrying a USP 45 Compact with a light LEM trigger today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 19.

CZ P-10, P-01, or P-07.

Whatever floats his boat.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
View Quote
Quoted:
Glock 19 and spend the rest of the $1K on practice ammo and training.
View Quote
This is the answer.

Brownells for agent sights.

Good Medicine (member here on the ee)for kydex

Rest to sg ammo
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
G19, then pick up a holster and swap out the sights to something better.

Use the rest on ammo and range time

/thread
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Beretta M9A1
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#28]
G43 and a G19/17... whichever fits his hand better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is the answer.

Rest to sg ammo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19.

/thread.
Quoted:
Glock 19 and spend the rest of the $1K on practice ammo and training.
This is the answer.

Rest to sg ammo
I like the way you think.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top