User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I second this.

My father passed in 2006, but I cherish all the time I got to spend with him.

ETA: Isn't 'funny' how every son or daughter at one age decides Dad is fucked and doesn't know what's really going on,
then at a later age realizes he actually knew more than you guessed, except you were to stubborn to listen?
View Quote
So true.

I miss my Dad, often think of things I wish I had asked him, to late now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My Dad will be 80 in 2 weeks. He lives 870 miles from me and we talk every day.

He tries to tell me all the time how to run my business, which he has no clue about and I just take it because he's trying to help. I know it's because he cares so I don't let it get to me. I thank him for his input.

He's always supported me in everything I did. He's been more than a Dad.....he's been a best friend.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have lunch with my dad every week. Have for 15 years

I'm 50 years old and my dad is still my hero
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Last November I got a text message from mine announcing that he no longer wished to see or have any contact with me and my wife/kids due to my political beliefs.

I'm honoring his wishes.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Just had dinner with mine last night and showed him a few of my new guns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I second this.

My father passed in 2006, but I cherish all the time I got to spend with him.

ETA: Isn't 'funny' how every son or daughter at one age decides Dad is fucked and doesn't know what's really going on,
then at a later age realizes he actually knew more than you guessed, except you were to stubborn to listen?
View Quote
When I was in college at age 20 I thought my Dad (50 at the time) was washed up, out of touch with reality and didn't know what was going. I'm 64 now and spent a lot of time with him talking about all kind of things the past 40 years. Turns out I was the dumb ass.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Dad is 74.  I get to see him 3 days a week, while sometimes very frustrating, I wouldnt be where I am today without him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Eh.  He criticizes or belittles everything I do.  That has the effect of not wanting to share my life with him. Why?  When he's just going to crap all over it.

But I stay in touch for holidays, Father's Day and his birthday.  Ten Commandments and all that.
View Quote
You just perfectly described the relationship I have with my dad. I don’t tell him anything because I don’t need the criticism. Too little too late.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My father passed away 10/13/13.

I realized not long before when he was symptomatic that his time was running out.  I literally stopped doing everything I’d been doing.

Three or four weeks was all I got.  Some people don’t get that long.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My youngest son is 31. All his life we worked, played and laughed together. Just like I did with my Dad. RIP Dad,,,Thanks for everything! My Son and I now live 200 miles apart and I don't see him except on rare occasions. We are very close and always will be. He calls when he has news and I call when I miss him. Seems to work pretty well for us. We travel a lot and on 99% of our trips we pass through his place both coming and going. The last time I saw him was at a match in Texas where I was an RO and he was shooting the match. That was in early May. I'll see him in a couple of weeks though. REALLY looking forward to it.

I can't imagine NOT having tons of great memories of my Dad. For those of you that don't I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up watching my dad beat my mom mercilessly and even levelled a shotgun on his chest once when I was an early teen. I didn't have the balls to pull the trigger and got my beating after.

I escaped the house at 17 and never looked back.

As the years went on, he mellowed and stopped beating my mom. I don't know why she stayed with him.

I see them both a few times a year and in my head I want to leave ASAP. I've tried forgiving him, but I can't, yet. Maybe because I believe he should ask me for my forgiveness and he hasn't. I think part of my also blames my mom for staying with him and making excuses. I know it's zero her fault, but I think that feeling is there subconsciously.

It's something I'm thinking of seeking professional help for since I just can't seem to get over it at 44 years old. I'm not sure I should get over it, but I'd like to deal with it better than I do and maybe actually enjoy being in their presence for once before they're gone. Occasionally I still have dreams about it and hear her screams.

The universe still wants my dad in it for some reason. He's survived liver cancer, hep c, liver transplant, heart attack, and lung cancer. Maybe it's for me to make peace with what happened.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad and i never hung out until he retired. We would go deer hunting every year together. He died from Cancer a little over a year ago. Wish we could have got more hunting trips in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Last November I got a text message from mine announcing that he no longer wished to see or have any contact with me and my wife/kids due to my political beliefs.

I'm honoring his wishes.

Oh well.
View Quote
I hear that. My pops did pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Goes both ways.

I wanted to hang out with mine. He had better things to do.

He died when I was a teen and it upset me more that other people knew more about him that I did. And friends he had for YEARS, didnt know I existed.

Then I became a father and frankly it enrages me. Kids are awesome.  And frankly people who say their kids suck, the children most likely got it from their parents.

So it goes both ways.  Don't forget to spend time with your kids either...
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Agreed. Lost my father in 2008 at age 24, kills me that I can't just call him.
View Quote
Yep, I was 25.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have only visited my Dads grave site once and that was to bury my Mom.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine passed in 2006. I would stop by his shop until it closed everyday after work. I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My dad is 98. He doesn’t know who I am most of the time.  I am 70. My son is dead. You never know what’s gonna happen. Love your family.
View Quote
Amen,family is all you will ever have.
Weed out the bad and laugh with the rest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Concur with OP.   Spend time the both your parents.

My father passed away over three decades ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Lost both parents over the '17-'18 fall/winter.

PSA

If you get along with your folks make every effort to spend time with them.  They can be gone in a blink of an eye.  Taken away too soon.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top