Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man this is unbelievable.  40 years??

What an airframe.  My all time favorite from a looks perspective, but damn the performance is STILL there.

Not only have ours never been shot down, but the Israelis or anyone else using them.  Crazy.

They like to fly em with one wing too!  

I just came across a video of that one winged F-15 this past week.  It had in cockpit video by one of the crewmembers and exterior video from a wingman all while flying with only the one wing.

I'll see if I can find it again and post the link if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

snip good stuff

CJ

Im happy that one person understands what modern aircraft design is about.

Most retards one here equate "new platform/desigen" with better/best which is not the case. A old airframe with new computers still makes a great jet and more than capable in the 21st century. Take the new saudi F15, it looks the same but its basically a totally new jet, fly by wire, fast computers and lots of toys, gas and weapons. Flown properly (correct tactics) you could do some serious damage to any country on this planet.

The sad part is the US has the old airframes and only marginally upgraded systems. If you put a new saudi jet with the skills of and USAF pilot flying it you could whoop some serious ass, but alas, I can only dream.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, another one of those planes where the plane is older than the pilots.

The design is 40 years old.  We don't have any 40 year old eagles flying around.

True, but there are quite a few 30-35 yr old Eagles still flying around, and plenty Eagle pilots younger than the aircraft they fly.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm old enough to remember the prototypes that flew in that Air Superiority Blue scheme the USAF had for a short while.

Great looking airplane.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a sexy bird, glad I get to see them fly every day.  I'm really not impressed with the P&W FW-100-229s though, what a pile of crap.

The raptor is even sexier, and has completely amazing motors in comparison.  

You would really have loved the TF30's on the F-111 and F-14
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a sexy bird, glad I get to see them fly every day.  I'm really not impressed with the P&W FW-100-229s though, what a pile of crap.

I worked F-4s with a bunch of former F-111 guys, I've heard.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip good stuff

CJ

Im happy that one person understands what modern aircraft design is about.

Most retards one here equate "new platform/desigen" with better/best which is not the case. A old airframe with new computers still makes a great jet and more than capable in the 21st century. Take the new saudi F15, it looks the same but its basically a totally new jet, fly by wire, fast computers and lots of toys, gas and weapons. Flown properly (correct tactics) you could do some serious damage to any country on this planet.

The sad part is the US has the old airframes and only marginally upgraded systems. If you put a new saudi jet with the skills of and USAF pilot flying it you could whoop some serious ass, but alas, I can only dream.

It may even be more "new" than you know.  The new Saudi jets forced Boeing to digitize the engineering drawings of the airframe.  There are also many changes and improvements added in.  These Saudi jets will be the highest quality and structurally strongest F-15s ever built.  Not to mention systems upgrades.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I approve of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-229s are a hell of a lot better than -100s.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, another one of those planes where the plane is older than the pilots.

The design is 40 years old.  We don't have any 40 year old eagles flying around.

True, but there are quite a few 30-35 yr old Eagles still flying around, and plenty Eagle pilots younger than the aircraft they fly.    
our F15s are falling apart..

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It may even be more "new" than you know.

yeah, I probably don't know anything about them.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked F-4s with a bunch of former F-111 guys, I've heard.

Did the TF30's give the F-111 the same amount of trouble as they did the F-14's? While it was apparently a crappy engine, I've always understood that high AOA maneuvers and rapid throttle changes common in ACM was what really made the TF30 so trouble prone in the F-14's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The local AFB had a big airshow after Desert Storm in '91.  All the inventory was there––B1B, A10, even had the first public showing of the F117....

Do you mean at that particular show?

Because it most definitely appeared at the NAS Jacksonville show in 1990.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

No, just first showing there, maybe as a general thing.  The aircraft was out on the pavement, but cordoned off, with armed guards all around it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Absolutely BADASS, state of the Badass art.

Was your ride in the CO's bird or did you wrench on an Agressor Squadron or some such (In reference to the paint scheme)?

NOT A POUND FOR AIR TO GROUND! HAPPY BIRTHDAY EAGLE
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Also this celebration would not be complete without that video someone posted a while back of the Eagle Squad that won the Raytheon trophy. Going to look for it now.

ETA: Hope this works its Vimeo not youtube.

put that bad boy on HD and enjoy
Forget about the Raptor for now, and all those Eurofighter fags can take their AC and shove it up their ass sideways.

Give me this aircraft being flown by that crew all day every day and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It may even be more "new" than you know.
yeah, I probably don't know anything about them.

Didn't mean to come off like that.  I'm involved in the production of the new jets for the Saudis, the digitized data is brand new and parts are just starting to be produced in the last couple of months.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And on the A-7.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome bird.  Happy belated B-day to the Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]
That's amazing that it's been around that long!  Reminds me of being a kid in the 70's and reading about that new-fangled "Look-Down-Shoot-Down"

radar everyone was so keen on

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
F15s are like... the best thing evar.

Here's a couple videos I took from our deployment to Kunar last year. Shoutouts to AR15.com member TaylorWSO for being a bad ass with huge brass ones and dropping bombs on bad guys foreheads.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Absolutely BADASS, state of the Badass art.

Was your ride in the CO's bird or did you wrench on an Agressor Squadron or some such (In reference to the paint scheme)?

NOT A POUND FOR AIR TO GROUND! HAPPY BIRTHDAY EAGLE

I wrenched on the WA's (weapons school), OT's (test) and Aggressors. My ride was on an OT bird.

I have wrenched on Oregon's and Hawaii's guard jets when they came to Nellis and sent a minimal crew. Also a Kadena jet that diverted due to #1 engine failure (the rotor generator shelled out). Those were outside the norm though.

All 3 flying squadron's were still maintained by 1 AMU when I left. I think the Aggressor split and uses active guard members a few years ago.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top