Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
that thing is a toy.  if you're buying it for a sandbox you should be fine but that's kinda spendy for that

my backhoe is a toy compared to big boy machines but at least i can do actual work with it

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

depends on what you're doing with it

if you need to lift shit as well as dig shit on the same job then it's the perfect machine.  if you just need to dig or just need to lift then it falls waaaaaaaaay to the side compared to other machines built specifically to do those jobs
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Video is kind of hilarious. Seems to me that “walking” it around like he dude was pretty abusive to the cheap Chinese machine. No surprise he basically ruined that one hydraulic cylinder.

It also seemed pretty weak and more trouble than it’s worth.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

if you need to lift shit as well as dig shit on the same job then it's the perfect machine.  if you just need to dig or just need to lift then it falls waaaaaaaaay to the side compared to other machines built specifically to do those jobs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lifting shit? Lull 1044-56 telehandler. 10,000lb lift capacity.

Or national 1100 28tn truck crane.

I admit I’m spoiled. But my 333D can lift almost as much as my 416C IT.  If it’s heavier than what the 333D can handle, we’ll use the telehandler.  

The ZTS50 can out dig the 416.  Let alone the 315BL.

The only time we use the 416 is running between properties. We haul cow shit to another 100 acres to spread. So we’ll run it up there.  Also doing any dirt work up there. As it’s easier than loading up a trailer most of the time.

I love the idea of backhoes. But in good execution - you can do more than x2 the work with a skidloader/excavator combo.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
@Foxtrot08

Now you've done it!  My backhoe is good at everything and great at nothing.  It's the only equipment I have that moves soil any distance.  The skid steer is everybody's favorite (except mine).  That machine is amazing, but doesn't move much.  I have augers and bulldozer blades for both, and a stump grinder for the skid steer.  I'm getting a helical pile driver and a few other attachments for it next.  If I could only own one thing it would definitely be the skid steer.  The excavator is still my favorite, and I don't let anyone else use it

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love how it's poorly photoshopped and levitating over the ground.    Seems like a great tool for amateur DIYers to locate gas mains.
View Quote

You'd be better off with a shovel.  Even the Ag tractor mounted ones are laughably impotent.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Foxtrot08

Now you've done it!  My backhoe is good at everything and great at nothing.  It's the only equipment I have that moves soil any distance.  The skid steer is everybody's favorite (except mine).  That machine is amazing, but doesn't move much.  I have augers and bulldozer blades for both, and a stump grinder for the skid steer.  I'm getting a helical pile driver and a few other attachments for it next.  If I could only own one thing it would definitely be the skid steer.  The excavator is still my favorite, and I don't let anyone else use it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/IMG_5601-2335992.jpg

View Quote

I’m surprised you don’t have an articulated dump yet to go with everything. Or even better would be a tracked dump truck.

We keep the same body, but throw it in an old cab and chassis every 5-7 years. But we have a beater tandem axle dump truck.  A dump trailer (goose neck) and a 26 foot semi dump trailer to move product around.

I really want to buy a tracked dump truck one of these days.

I also have waaaay more equipment. Including 5 bulldozers. A tracked front end loader. A wheeled front end loader.  And a road grader.

All older. But I’m not a contractor either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
It couldn’t scratch the Blackland Prairie before giving up or gumming up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m surprised you don’t have an articulated dump yet to go with everything. Or even better would be a tracked dump truck.

We keep the same body, but throw it in an old cab and chassis every 5-7 years. But we have a beater tandem axle dump truck.  A dump trailer (goose neck) and a 26 foot semi dump trailer to move product around.

I also have waaaay more equipment. Including 5 bulldozers. A tracked front end loader. A wheeled front end loader.  And a road grader.

View Quote

I'm hoping not to be moving soil often.  I don't have a CDL, so all my equipment stays on the island.  The real value in a dump truck would be getting material at suppliers on my own versus paying someone to deliver it.  When I put in 3,200 linear feet of seawall I'll have to bring in massive amounts of gravel to backfill the backside and rip rap to put on the front.  I really wish I had gotten my CDL before the requirements got silly.  A dump trailer is probably something I should look at.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm hoping not to be moving soil often.  I don't have a CDL, so all my equipment stays on the island.  The real value in a dump truck would be getting material at suppliers on my own versus paying someone to deliver it.  When I put in 3,200 linear feet of seawall I'll have to bring in massive amounts of gravel to backfill the backside and rip rap to put on the front.  I really wish I had gotten my CDL before the requirements got silly.  A dump trailer is probably something I should look at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to rent an articulated dump truck / rock truck when you do the sea wall.

Unless you can get normal trucks right up to it.

I got my CDL… figure if I own 100 semis… might as well be able to drive them.

Also, if you didn’t know - you and I have a mutual friend.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
that thing is a toy.  if you're buying it for a sandbox you should be fine but that's kinda spendy for that

my backhoe is a toy compared to big boy machines but at least i can do actual work with it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/9BBF7F13-A2DA-4363-B4A1-A767CDA62110-1604222.jpg
View Quote

@TexRdnec

How long have you had that machine? How do you like it? An L47 is on my wish list. I've love to upgrade to one, might be a while though.

The downside is sometimes it's nice having a smaller machine to get into tight places. I recently used my B2650 to dig for undergrounds in the basement of the new house before the floor was poured. I wouldn't have made it in the door with an L47.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Chinese garbage. You can probably dig faster with a shovel.
View Quote

I'll race you.  Loser pays for the backhoe.

This was about an 90 minutes.

OP, if you don't have hard pack soil and you're just looking to do some trenching, they work fine.  

Are there other machines that would be better - you bet.  

But I am not running to the rental place everytime I need a trench.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I watched a guy trying to plant a tree with something like that.

He came close the getting bucked off when the bucket hit the ground.

He gave up after a few rides
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Don’t waste your money, rent one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don’t waste your money, rent one.
View Quote

Cheapest one in my area is $450 an hour, min 5 hours. At that rate I might as well buy a full blown excavator instead.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I too like to get my financial and product buying advice from a dude who chooses to operate a chainsaw while wearing shorts and lightweight sneakers on his "lot", which he's enclosed with a crappy chain link fence and which backs up to an apartment complex, on a main thoroughfare and within earshot of a train.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I always wanted one of those u-build-it mini bulldozers from the classifieds in old Popular Mechanic's magazines.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is an older version from Northern Tool, I think it was a rental originally.  The call before you dig stickers are a big give away.  I am at least the fourth owner and someone along the line replaced the engine with a much newer 9hp Harbor Freight Predator.  The big selling point for me when buying was, looking at it there is almost nothing I can't work on and fix pretty easily.  Most of it with hand tool and a welder for worst cases.  The only things that I would need help on is repacking cylinders and valves and those come off easy enough to haul out and get fixed.  Everything else is super easy to work on and fix as needed even in the field which is important give where I am using it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually save up my work and rent something once a year.   This year was a bobcat E50.  11000lb machine and it was $2200 for the week delivered and insured.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love how it's poorly photoshopped and levitating over the ground.    Seems like a great tool for amateur DIYers to locate gas mains.
View Quote

Yeah that’s hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I admit I’m spoiled. But my 333D can lift almost as much as my 416C IT.  If it’s heavier than what the 333D can handle, we’ll use the telehandler.  

The only time we use the 416 is running between properties. We haul cow shit to another 100 acres to spread. So we’ll run it up there.  Also doing any dirt work up there. As it’s easier than loading up a trailer most of the time.

I love the idea of backhoes. But in good execution - you can do more than x2 the work with a skidloader/excavator combo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i'm lifting a 250gal tank to replace it with a 500gal tank and dig a new line over to a generator behind some guy's house my backhoe is the best tool for the job.  your equipment won't even fit but if we could shrink it we'd still have to use multiple machines
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@TexRdnec

How long have you had that machine? How do you like it? An L47 is on my wish list. I've love to upgrade to one, might be a while though.

The downside is sometimes it's nice having a smaller machine to get into tight places. I recently used my B2650 to dig for undergrounds in the basement of the new house before the floor was poured. I wouldn't have made it in the door with an L47.

https://i.imgur.com/D1raF6B.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/9BBF7F13-A2DA-4363-B4A1-A767CDA62110-1604222.jpg

@TexRdnec

https://i.imgur.com/D1raF6B.jpg

the l47 is surprisingly capable for its size, i have zero complaints thus far and it's probably coming up on a year and a half old
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

if i'm lifting a 250gal tank to replace it with a 500gal tank and dig a new line over to a generator behind some guy's house my backhoe is the best tool for the job.  your equipment won't even fit but if we could shrink it we'd still have to use multiple machines
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just lift it over the house with the crane.

Problem solved!

Edit:

A deere 50G is narrower than the L47 with outriggers.  And can lift nearly twice the amount of the L47. While only weighing 3000lbs more.

A new L47 costs low 70's.  A new 50G costs low 80's.  

Unless you're traveling a lot...
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I always wanted one of those u-build-it mini bulldozers from the classifieds in old Popular Mechanic's magazines.  
View Quote

they are still in business

https://struckcorp.com/products/mini-dozer-md196k/
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For less than twice that you can get a used Case.
View Quote

lol, no, unless you're talking about a 1960s clapped out 480A.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think I'd lean toward renting the machine I need or paying someone to do the work.
View Quote

Usually more efficient to pay pro.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Foxtrot08

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/IMG_5601-2335992.jpg

View Quote

Your excavator is a loooong boy
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Problem solved!

Edit:

A deere 50G is narrower than the L47 with outriggers.  And can lift nearly twice the amount of the L47. While only weighing 3000lbs more.

View Quote

I had to fly a 303.5 Cat with a drill attachment over a house in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The back yard was sandstone cap rock and the whole yard was headed down the bluff to the Arkansas river.
Best I remember, the lift required a 200 ton mobile crane with 300’ of boom to reach our landing area. We had to flag the crane boom for the local airport.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Problem solved!

Edit:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved!

Edit:

i knew i didn't pay near that so i looked it up

i paid $53,042.31

and i couldn't trim trees on the weekend with a 50g

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think4 lever controls would drive me mad, but I've experience with the real deal
View Quote

My first "real" machine was an old Pettibone TLB (tractor loader backhoe) that had a forest of control levers. Didn't take long to get proficient with it.

When I worked construction back in the '70's, the excavating guy had a TLB with extenda-hoe. Watching him work those levers was interesting.

The towable backhoe? I guess, if one is just using it for light work, it would work OK.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

i paid $53,042.31

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/3B7E7E27-0E79-41A5-A06F-015977FA27BF-1643381.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved!

Edit:

i paid $53,042.31

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/3B7E7E27-0E79-41A5-A06F-015977FA27BF-1643381.jpg

Yeah you can. Mulch them off.

But yeah different machines. Just saying setting a tank like you’re saying - an excavator works perfectly well. We actually have a special boom made for our 315 to set large vertical tanks. It’s why we own the excavator as we used it to move two tank farms. Being 8’6” still - it can fit into normal truck doors.

I do wish on the large machine we would of went with a ZTS machine.  Like a new 315 series that doesn’t have a tail.  Or even better would of been a PC228. But it is what it is now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i paid $53,042.31

View Quote

Yeah, and the price has gone up some since then, but it's still not in the 70s.

I just had a local dealer price one for me a few months ago and it was low 60s, and that's with some options I'm not sure I'd bother with. Base price was $57.5k.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I could have some serious fun ruining my yard with that baby!
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Depends what your plans for it are and you need to have realistic expectations.

I plant trees, take out and replace old fence posts, dig up bushes and trees. Dug a drainage ditch and irrigation tubes. Used it to fix my pond dam. Some say you need a huge backhoe or excavator to get stuff done, it's not true unless your doing big jobs.
I have access to my neighbors big Cat backhoe and I use the smaller one far, far more for what I do.
It's small enough to get into tighter places and big enough for what I need it to do. It's definitely useful for me. They are handy to have around.

As far as the one in your post op, skip that crap and invest in something more reliable and versatile.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Depends what your plans for it are and you need to have realistic expectations.

I plant trees, take out and replace old fence posts, dig up bushes and trees. Dug a drainage ditch and irrigation tubes. Used it to fix my pond dam. Some say you need a huge backhoe or excavator to get stuff done, it's not true unless your doing big jobs.
I have access to my neighbors big Cat backhoe and I use the smaller one far, far more for what I do.
It's small enough to get into tighter places and big enough for what I need it to do. It's definitely useful for me. They are handy to have around.

As far as the one in your post op, skip that crap and invest in something more reliable and versatile.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310007/20200612_094516_jpg-2603444.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310007/20200902_113623_jpg-2603445.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310007/Polish_20221117_094810698_jpg-2603446.JPG
View Quote

@Mindfull

What model tractor? B77 backhoe?
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Mindfull

What model tractor? B77 backhoe?
View Quote

@PA452
It's a L3301 and BH77
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In some parts of the country, this is called a backhoe. It’s not, but that’s beside the point. Go big or go home. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11755/82A41282-8EF8-48F4-A7BB-10D3C7F52BE0-2601938.jpg
View Quote

Now, that is what I am taking about, track excavators for the win.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The fuck is that guy doing with the chainsaw dancing around like that? And with no ear or eye pro in shorts?

I wouldn't listen to anything thing those guys said working like that.

And I bet that backhoe is complete junk.
View Quote

Lol you hate shorts haha
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, I have one
They work great if you have time. They are slow, but very capable for trenches, holes, rocks and ditches.

I would buy another.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just had a local dealer price one for me a few months ago and it was low 60s, and that's with some options I'm not sure I'd bother with. Base price was $57.5k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i paid $53,042.31

I just checked machinery trader for the first new one of each side I saw. It was definitely not price shopping.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top