Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:02:51 PM EDT
I just went to buy the $600 HF Vertical Milling machine and it does not show up on their website.

Last week I could swear they had 3 different models.

$600, $1100, $2000.

Now all they have is the $2000 model.

If they are out of something does it not show up until back in stock?

I could swear it was onsale for $550 and now it is not their?

Have I lost my mind?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
sir please just buy a used Name brand machine

they can be had for about the same money and the quality will be way better than some chinamart machine

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just went to buy the $600 HF Vertical Milling machine and it does not show up on their website.

Last week I could swear they had 3 different models.

$600, $1100, $2000.

Now all they have is the $2000 model.

If they are out of something does it not show up until back in stock?

I could swear it was onsale for $550 and now it is not their?

Have I lost my mind?

a milling machine for $550?  yup...you lost your mind

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Found it.

It is called a Two-Speed Variable Bench Mill/Drill Machine

It did not show up in a search for milling machine.

It gets good reviews and it is $539

I don't need a big machine, just a small one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, you can buy used bridgeport for $1500 of you look hard and are patient. Sometimes the extra $ is mandatory.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Harbor Freight and Broken tool for a mill?

Doesn't sound like a purchase you will be happy with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have the harbor frieght mini mill.  Works great for light duty work.  Tooling costs more than the mill!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Save your money, I wonder what the runout is on the arbor is on that thing?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the harbor frieght mini mill.  Works great for light duty work.  Tooling costs more than the mill!!!

Maybe for stuff like Delrin or aluminum where you don't really care about tolerances.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
All I want to do is take away some 6061 aluminum slowly
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe for stuff like Delrin or aluminum where you don't really care about tolerances.

Made some 80% AR lowers and 1911s. Shrugs.

Work on 1911 frames and slides.  I ain't building Titanium or stainless stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the Micro's (the size down from that) that was discontinued a few years ago.

As with everything Harbor Freight, consider it a 'work in progress' when you get it and you will have to do some work to it.

I've tweaked the crap out of mine and it's pretty decent now, but full sized bridgeport knee mill it ain't.  

As someone above commented, you will spend far more on tooling than the mill itself.  In the case of the HF mill/drill, you can find alot of tooling right off the bat at www.littlemachineshop.com

Also, another thought on mills and lathes...buy at least a size up from the size you *think* you will need and want...you will end up using it for far more than you originally planned on.  Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Made some 80% AR lowers and 1911s. Shrugs.

Work on 1911 frames and slides.  I ain't building Titanium or stainless stuff.  

that is all I want it for
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree

You can make any machine run on 120vac, as well.

Quoted:

sir please just buy a used Name brand machine

they can be had for about the same money and the quality will be way better than some chinamart machine

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone that's badmouthing them actually own one? I've had one for about 8 years now and I'm happy with it.

BTW - The 20% off coupon is your friend. If you can't find or get one, send me a message and I'll send you one (Depending on how expensive the postage is to LIE. )
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
OP this is the one I have.  Lots of web sites out there on how to upgrade/mod one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html
Doesn't take up much more room than a drill press.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Not badmouthing them but I typically don't frequent Harbor Freight and Broken Tool.  If you just want to hog out some 80% lowers and have the jigs it would probably work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP this is the one I have.  Lots of web sites out there on how to upgrade/mod one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

Yep, that is the one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not badmouthing them but I typically don't frequent Harbor Freight and Broken Tool.  If you just want to hog out some 80% lowers and have the jigs it would probably work just fine.

that is all I want to do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm planning on buying one and replacing the plastic gears with either metal ones or a belt drive.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm planning on buying one and replacing the plastic gears with either metal ones or a belt drive.

It actually has plastic gears?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy a few good files instead.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a rebranded Sieg x3. Same as grizzly and Little Machine Shop. $150 bucks on ebay gets you the belt drive conversion. I have one ordered as well, just dont have space for a bridgeport right now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, that is the one.

I've been using one of those and it is seriously lacking in accuracy.  Now the z axis is all bound up for no apparent reason.

I was planning on finishing some 0% forgings, but I don't think it is accurate enough.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Find a Clausing!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have one of the Micro's (the size down from that) that was discontinued a few years ago.

As with everything Harbor Freight, consider it a 'work in progress' when you get it and you will have to do some work to it.

I've tweaked the crap out of mine and it's pretty decent now, but full sized bridgeport knee mill it ain't.  

As someone above commented, you will spend far more on tooling than the mill itself.  In the case of the HF mill/drill, you can find alot of tooling right off the bat at www.littlemachineshop.com

Also, another thought on mills and lathes...buy at least a size up from the size you *think* you will need and want...you will end up using it for far more than you originally planned on.  Trust me on this.

This man speaks the truth.

I bought the square column mini mill from grizzly.  After rebuilding all three axis, backlash was OK.  Then I spent a bunch of money on tooling, retrofitted it to CNC, made some parts, it was good.

I got tired of setting up new operations and touching off and refixturing all the time, sold it for $1300, bought a used bridgeport boss, upgraded the controls, and I run the piss out of the bridgeport.  Having a decent work envelope is SO MUCH BETTER.

Now I want a haas...  Wife will be pissed when my truck won't fit in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I paid $75 used for the mill. Lots more on the tooling. Works surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I paid $75 used for the mill. Lots more on the tooling. Works surprisingly good.

I'll take one for $75!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can it be done with files?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It actually has plastic gears?

Yes it does, but Little Machine Shop sells a belt drive conversion and some other places have metal replacements. I'm probably going to go belt drive, although they say you sacrifice some low end on it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
every time i tried to buy a machine from HF online it came damaged. i finally paid more and just get it in store...

the cheep chinese machines suck compared to a "real" machine. however, with that being said i picked up a speedway 7x12 lathe years ago for 350$ and its no problem for me to make 600-1000$ per weekend on it... they will pay for themselves several times over, just dont expect it to be able to do everything.

i have a 12 hour day on saturday... i might just have to buy one of these, make some money and sell it for about what i paid...

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
every time i tried to buy a machine from HF online it came damaged. i finally paid more and just get it in store...

the cheep chinese machines suck compared to a "real" machine. however, with that being said i picked up a speedway 7x12 lathe years ago for 350$ and its no problem for me to make 600-1000$ per weekend on it... they will pay for themselves several times over, just dont expect it to be able to do everything.

i have a 12 hour day on saturday... i might just have to buy one of these, make some money and sell it for about what i paid...

The sweet spot for HF tools is light occasional duty.  It sometimes costs less to buy it from HF than to rent if from Home Depot.  I just bought a miter saw for under a hundred bucks.  I'll use it very rarely but it's miles better than a box.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I got mine for $100 and now have more than 10x that into it with tooling. Mines the harbor freight round column model.  I still see them on craigslist reasonably priced.  It's accurate enough for what I do.  It will do until I have room and funds for a bridgeport.

This was done using just a drill bit for a cutter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
well I just found a tutorial archived that shows an 80% lower can be done with a drill press, and end mill and a dremel.

So I may save the money and try that instead.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll take one for $75!

Thanks be to craigslist and my dad for spotting it.  Cutting oil is also a must, seemed to get much better results.  Came in a spray can from a tooling shop.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you have to use a mill or you can get by with a good drill press and a milling vice if all you want to do is 80% lowers.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I had an Enco benchtop mill for a while.  A rebadged Rong Fu RF30.  

It's a usable machine.  Not really very suitable for work in steel,  but for aluminum and brass, no problem.
I long since upgraded to a full sized Bridgeport clone,  but the larger, heavier benchtop mills are quite usable within their limitations.
I would not personally recommend anything LESS than the largest and heaviest benchtop models.   The smaller and lighter they are

the more limited their capabilities are.
The surplus machine tools market is glutted with full sized manual mills these days.  There's no reason to dump 2 grand on a new benchtop mill

when the same 2 grand can put a full sized vertical mill in your garage instead.

Brands to look for:   Bridgeport,  Sharp, Millport, Wells Index, First, Lagun.   Maybe others as well.
CJ

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I read it as vertical "Killing" machine

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I got mine for $100 and now have more than 10x that into it with tooling. Mines the harbor freight round column model.  I still see them on craigslist reasonably priced.  It's accurate enough for what I do.  It will do until I have room and funds for a bridgeport.
http://youtu.be/iOA51IKoc8Q

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/eli75/26C063F0-E6DF-4CC2-A073-58DC5BB58B18-3801-000004DB3143CE30_zps2846cd15.jpg

This was done using just a drill bit for a cutter.

HOLY CRAP!
You made a DIME?????

Nice work!

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I once saw a pretty nice (working) replica of a Colt Single Action Army revolver made by hand with nothing more than a hacksaw, drills and files.
I don't think it was rifled, though.

Guy had more patience than Job, no doubt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
well I just found a tutorial archived that shows an 80% lower can be done with a drill press, and end mill and a dremel.

If I was looking to do it really cheap, I'd buy an X-Y vise to bolt to a drill press.  Probably run you $100 in total and be just good or better then that harbor freight piece of junk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Yup, not useful for anything at all, completely incapable

Caveat: I used the machine to upgrade itself, and built it into a cnc. I am an experienced engineer and machinist - getting the machine to do this requires some practice and knowhow. It is, however, absolutely possible with the right understanding. I have done steel parts, stainless steel parts, and all sorts of interesting things with this machine.

If you want to skip some grief, OP, the LMS mini mill has some upgrades from the get-go that make life easier. The solid column design is a WORLD of difference.

ETA: that's a 0%, not an 80%
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was looking to do it really cheap, I'd buy an X-Y vise to bolt to a drill press.  Probably run you $100 in total and be just good or better then that harbor freight piece of junk.

If you've ever actually tried that,  you wouldn't have said that.

Drill presses are not made to be rigid in the horizontal plane.  They will most assuredly suck ass when asked to do milling chores

in conjunction with an X-Y table.

Been there, done that,  would never waste my time or money trying to do it again.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I will do this.

Use the drill press and an end mill to drill the pocket out and use an x-y vise to move it in straight lines.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I once saw a pretty nice (working) replica of a Colt Single Action Army revolver made by hand with nothing more than a hacksaw, drills and files.
I don't think it was rifled, though.

Guy had more patience than Job, no doubt.

So he made an AOW?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Drill presses are not made to be rigid in the horizontal plane.  They will most assuredly suck ass when asked to do milling chores

Been there, done that,  would never waste my time or money trying to do it again.

CJ

^True. If you want a mill, get a mill. If you are space or budget limited, know the limitations of the machine you're getting, and don't expect more. If you have the space, time and money, a decent knee mill is worth the investment, assuming you'll get use out of it. You can and will destroy a drill press trying to use it as a mill for any appreciable amount of time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#48]
fuck arfcom... (read as im now down $475...)
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yup, not useful for anything at all, completely incapable

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/RocketmanOU/DSC08469-2_zps2d314b97.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/RocketmanOU/DSC08473_zps6ab4b6a7.jpg

Caveat: I used the machine to upgrade itself, and built it into a cnc. I am an experienced engineer and machinist - getting the machine to do this requires some practice and knowhow. It is, however, absolutely possible with the right understanding. I have done steel parts, stainless steel parts, and all sorts of interesting things with this machine.

If you want to skip some grief, OP, the LMS mini mill has some upgrades from the get-go that make life easier. The solid column design is a WORLD of difference.

ETA: that's a 0%, not an 80%

Grizzly has that for $650

decisions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

God this.  My drillpress is a very, very nice one and I ruined my bearings doing that shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top