Marquis de Lafayette was French.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Von Steuben was Prussian.

Marquis de Lafayette was French.

He commanded troops. Von Steuben trained them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Isreal has some quality infantry.
View Quote

LMAO... Only compared with who they fight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Clearly it is nesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well how does a Rip-It compare to meth? Cause that is literally what pervitin is.

https://i.insider.com/522dd9f76bb3f7d5338e5eb1?width=700

What's the deal with that Osprey?

Clearly it is nesting.

No its not.
It is resting.
And pining for the fjords.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m told by people that know better than me that there are a shitton of great infantrymen out there (many outside the US that’s every bit as good as the US). What they don’t have is the training, doctrine, equipment, or quality NCO cadre to be successful. The same folks also tell me there are cultures that just plain suck at war.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's performance in most of WWII was abysmal.   In military circles it was know as "The best saluting army in the world".  Read "Winston's War" by Max Hastings. It was designed for colonial garrison duty.  Never has a killer instinct.  Still riddled with officers who had purchased their commissions.  One of their top generals was heard to say that he liked being in the army but did not like fighting.  One of the reasons that Montgomery was put up with was because he actually won a few battles.  

Today's British army is much better than anything they had in WWII.  But in today's world it is a small country with a small military.  
View Quote

The sale of commissions ended in 1871. Montgomery was a shitty, overly cautious general. Slim was magnificent. Apparently you need different books.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True story, oldest son to oldest son, direct line of ancestry, my (x times great) grandfather was an advisor mercenary general officer in Tsar Peter I's service during the Great Northern War. When I got curious about the validity of this, I learned this was easily confirmed as more than a family legend thanks to him being titled in the UK and our family's descendance tracked.

I also discovered that one of his descendants between us, the oldest son and bearer of my previously mentioned ancestors title, was a captain on the British side killed in action during the American Revolution a few years after having his only son.

#NotEligibleforSonsofTheAmericanRevolution
View Quote

Amazing! I also learned, from my cousin’s genealogical research before she died that despite expecting some romantic history of my family fighting with George Washington, instead that my Dad’s ancestor was a naval officer in the royal navy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Insert shit post to keep thread going so more knowledgeable posters keep dropping knowledge bombs for the rest of us....
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Insert shit post to keep thread going so more knowledgeable posters keep dropping knowledge bombs for the rest of us....
View Quote

Btdt! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No modern military has, or will, field a military as competent and capable as the German military in the 1930s. The US military derives most of its capability from technology.
View Quote

Tough to compete with soldiers doped up on meth that can fight for a week without rest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tough to compete with soldiers doped up on meth that can fight for a week without rest.
View Quote

Has it been proven that Pervitin was the single most influential factor that allowed the German Wehrmacht the success it did have early in the war?

The Prussians did quite literally write the book on modern warfare.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top