Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to use them all the time, I worked on a tugboat in New York Harbor and the docks all had the telephone booths on the end. As soon as I got a cell phone I didn't need to do that anymore. About 30 years ago
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Late 90s. If you hang up and it immediately starts ringing don't answer it. The operator will say you talked too long and want you to deposit some more coins.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Threads like this make me sad.  My knee jerk response is "of course who the fuck hasn't?".  Then I realize there are people alive now who probably haven't.  This is new territory for me.
View Quote

I'm from South Dakota, and I never saw a phone booth.  I saw payphones on walls (outside and inside).  It didn't matter of it was the middle of January and 40 below, if you really needed to call, you'd get out of your car and use the phone outside the convenience store.

Someone built a house on a nearby lake within the past year.  The garage has a payphone hanging on an outside wall.  Every time I've driven by, I've looked to see if someone is outside there.  I've wanted to ask them why there's a payphone there.  I do know they redid the campgrounds, so that house may be the new caretaker's house.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

grew up in the 80's so yes many times and not just in Germany but other Countries as well

View Quote

I can't tell you how many rolls of 5 Mark coins I used to call home back in the early 80s.
Used to take a rack of Pilsner to the phone booth and talk to everybody, had a hole in the booth that went downhill by the MP barracks.  That phone booth reeked like hell.  But, it was warm and out of the snow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
of course
Mr Scrotum,
Why do you give a fuck?
ETA had a pager to
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you ever used a phone booth with a door?

If so, how long ago was that?
View Quote

Yes, normally with the door closed. I can't even guess when the last time was, at least two decades. I can't even remember the last time I used an exposed pay-phone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably early 2000's was the last time I used one with a door.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
At a science museum and they had one and 12 year old granddaughter asked what it was.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I definitely used pay phones in the 90s for work calling from court. I had an AT&T card the firm paid for.

I'm sure I called from payphones later in the 90s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Early 90s maybe?
I definitely used pay phones in the 90s for work calling from court. I had an AT&T card the firm paid for.

I'm sure I called from payphones later in the 90s.

I got my first cell phone in 1996 when my wife was very pregnant with our first child and I wanted her to be able to contact me wherever I was.  Never used a pay phone after that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Didn't they take out the last pay phone in Manhattan last year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course. Both ways, plus the wall ones that have the little bubble box.
Last time? At least a decade or more. Maybe two.
Didn't they take out the last pay phone in Manhattan last year?

Think it was this year. A couple months or so ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm from South Dakota, and I never saw a phone booth.  I saw payphones on walls (outside and inside).  It didn't matter of it was the middle of January and 40 below, if you really needed to call, you'd get out of your car and use the phone outside the convenience store.

Someone built a house on a nearby lake within the past year.  The garage has a payphone hanging on an outside wall.  Every time I've driven by, I've looked to see if someone is outside there.  I've wanted to ask them why there's a payphone there.  I do know they redid the campgrounds, so that house may be the new caretaker's house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Threads like this make me sad.  My knee jerk response is "of course who the fuck hasn't?".  Then I realize there are people alive now who probably haven't.  This is new territory for me.

I see you are in MN. Anywhere near the Canadian border? Customs check in line?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Im 41, and I've used one, but it's been a very long time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
1982-3ish?  Called a girlfriend 40 miles away that I was off work and heading her way. We were going to see Krokus and Sammy Hagar in concert. VOA tour. Phone booth in front of our post office..with the door closed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes

At a truck stop near my house. About 10 years ago

None of your damn business what the call was about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FT Knox '81.  Same same.  The DI's made you call MAMA and let her know that you were still alive and that The Army hadn't killed you yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Cape May NJ, at USCG boot camp, the booths had no doors. They were removed.
So your poll fails.
FT Knox '81.  Same same.  The DI's made you call MAMA and let her know that you were still alive and that The Army hadn't killed you yet.

Early 81?

I graduated boot Feb
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My house I just bought has a phone jack next to every outlet in all rooms. I am doing some roof work and rented a 45' JLG lift. Today I realized the line out front was for the phones. Ran that bitch up the pole and cut the wire.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I even slept in one in like 1979 or so.

Rainy night, small town New Jersey
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Early 81?

I graduated boot Feb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Cape May NJ, at USCG boot camp, the booths had no doors. They were removed.
So your poll fails.

Early 81?

I graduated boot Feb
I was a month behind you at Disney (C-2-1).  We were the first cycle to get issued the BDU.  We had a couple of recycle guys that still wore "Pickle suits".
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a weird shock, ain't it?  I'm getting more and more used to it, though, I've turned into a reliquary of old useless history and arcane knowledge.

I used phone booths many times.  I always left the door open and rarely went all the way in because it was too confining.

How many remember the indoor wooden booths  like you see in the old film noir movies?  I remember using a couple of those!  They were pretty much on their way out, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Operator
Jim Croce

Many times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm closer to 70 than 60 years old - so of course I have.
I'm closer to 70 than 60 years old - so of course I can't remember when.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
The only reason to close a phone booth door was for privacy, to keep bad weather out, or to keep bad people out by jamming your foot against the center of the door.  Phone booths stank bad because so many people smoked in them.  This thread has triggered that aromatic memory.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes and they were stale

Like cigarette smoke and humidity

ETA: the glass was always dirty, and scratched and the door made a screeching sound when you opened/closed it

Ma Bell, the good old days

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#27]
A bar I've frequented has a red wood & glass booth inside the establishment for patrons to use, but it doesn't have the payphone.

It's handy when the fucking hipsters are being loud as fuck and you don't want to argue with the doorman about the rest of your party already being inside when you're done.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a girl in the eighties I was so crazy in love with, I would drive 30 miles mid-day while deer hunting just to find a pay phone and call her.

She dumped me….
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, shut the door a light and fan in top turned on. Light up cigarettes and drop a dime. Last time was around 94-95
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes. 2004ish.
Drove 4-5 hours without a phone,  map, or GPS to visit a friend at a different college. I got into town and played some phone tag with a payphone to get his address.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With a rotary dial even.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember always looking at the handset before making a call because I saw a cartoon in MAD magazine where someone put gum on the earpiece.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I used drive-up payphones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep, shut the door a light and fan in top turned on. Light up cigarettes and drop a dime. Last time was around 94-95
View Quote
The ones I used had all that and a fold down seat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, many times, and once for an activity unrelated to the phone company.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]
5 years ago my company did a refit and went to all benches/tables. No cubes no walls. No place to take a private call.
I bought and installed 3 1970’s aluminum phone booths per floor and 2 of the red UK booths
No phone installed but just a place for privacy
It was a huge hit. The fan came on. The light came on ,I had an old phone book in each.  I modernized with a data jack and a usb charging port installed
People loved it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#38]
2004, they pulled them out a few years later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I was a phone repairman for many years. Coin (pay phones) was the best gig working for PT&T and later AT&T. No customers to bust your balls, lots of OT. Did a lot of work at LAX. It was amazing how people would try to steal the coins or figure a way to make free calls. Even after we went to card only phones customers would try to put coins in the card slots. Mostly foreign coins. The American coins we had to turn in but the company didn’t want the foreign stuff. I still have a jar of assorted coins. When we got rid of the coin phones, they were all dumped in the trash. Of course I snagged one. Still have my keys. For the most part it was a great job.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Remember checking the coin return slot and finding change?
Hell yea!
View Quote

Remember checking the coin return slot and getting stuck with an AIDS infected needle?

Fw: FWD: Fwd: You're not going to believe this!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#41]
lol.  Yes, of course.  I also had a 5 number telephone number growing up, before it went to 8.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, left door open so light didn't come on.

In high school I worked at a grocery store and there was a pay phone in the lobby, plus a booth at the edge of the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
5 years ago my company did a refit and went to all benches/tables. No cubes no walls. No place to take a private call.
I bought and installed 3 1970’s aluminum phone booths per floor and 2 of the red UK booths
No phone installed but just a place for privacy
It was a huge hit. The fan came on. The light came on ,I had an old phone book in each.  I modernized with a data jack and a usb charging port installed
People loved it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I took this pic less than a year back.

I haven’t used a pay phone in 20 years though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131934/60C7BECC-D53D-4006-BB80-3DE630DAF9DD-2501732.jpg
View Quote

The phone book is intact and there's no graffiti in the stall.

That must be behind a locked door somewhere!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#46]
How long ago?
A long time ago, like decades.
Yes, I'm old
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#47]
'60s for sure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, & done both.

Hot as hell out it stays open, winter it got closed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Payphones? Psshh. We used to have milk machines in the NYC projects in the 60's & 70's where I grew up.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top