Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heritage motherfucker, get some.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Kilt, the entire Redcoat uniform, & Brown Bess musket for Revolutionary War reenactment group, Fraser's Highlanders.
Also wore a MacLeod tartan for various gatherings.

Kilt and coat were wool, bearskin hat had no ventilation. It got hot as Hell during Summer reenactments.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I got married in a kilt, along with all my brothers and assorted groomsmen.  There was some interesting discussion about keg stand logistics that was solved by politely asking the wedding photographer to stop shooting.

My Texan relatives sure thought it was a hoot, and were duly humbled when our various sporran were revealed to contain flasks, knives, glocks, etc.

In the spirit of multiculturalism, I did attempt a short haka with a bro.  Kilts are not made for haka, the geometry is all wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
So if you're an American of any kind, celebrating St. Patrick's day makes you a "plastic paddy", yet some dude named McSomething who may have had some ancestor from Scotland (whether or not they've been within 1000 miles of Scotland is immaterial) is "celebrating their heritage", when they wear a kilt.

Got it.

(I personally don't give a crap what you choose to wear, but I'll call a dork a dork when I see one)
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would say there are two sides, but most folks from the big picture POV only see one type.  

There are the folks in kilts and swords, or any other ethic group who do living history education.  Then there are those people in crocheted chainmail and elf ears.........
View Quote

We're not talking about living history here. Special costumes are fine for special activities. Just like a fedora is fine if you're at a costume party.

But we're talking about going about your daily life in 'look at me' gear.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you just insult my wife? (I don't do SCA or Vulcan ears) but don't make fun of people that do.
View Quote

If it's an insult to call your wife weird, it's a pretty damn mild one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying... but all I'm hearing is...

http://global3.memecdn.com/Stop-Liking-What-I-Dont-Like_o_115105.jpg
View Quote

I don't like polos, but it's normal, common male attire. There's no reason you shouldn't wear them if you like them.

I like costumes. They're fun. And kilts are easy access to wonderful things. But it's what they say about you that makes them gay. They're attention whore wear, I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't like polos, but it's normal, common male attire. There's no reason you shouldn't wear them if you like them.

I like costumes. They're fun. And kilts are easy access to wonderful things. But it's what they say about you that makes them gay. They're attention whore wear, I'm sorry.
View Quote

Looking at your post count... glass houses.  Just sayin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it's an insult to call your wife weird, it's a pretty damn mild one.
View Quote

sorry I forgot the  " "
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

But that is a false assumption I don't wear one to make other people look at me. I wear one for my comforts not others. Other people assume its a "look at me"
Just like I do not assume a women wearing a tight shirt and a short ass showing mini skirt is a whore that will sleep with any man.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I wore a skirt once, I got really drunk and puked all over my clothes, the only clothes my female friend had that were clean and would fit was a white shirt from her husband and one of her skirts.  (this is long story, no I didn't do anything that night that would get me in trouble with her husband who is also a friend. Yes we did sleep together a few times when she was engaged to said husband years earlier.  We are all still really good friends, husband knows about it.)

My friend from work was coming down to pick me up so we could play paintball the next day, I was still really drunk and hungover from the previous night, he drove me to my truck so I could get the clothes I had for paintball he then drove me to the paintball field. Where I felt really shitty for about 4 hrs, drank two gallons of water, puked some more, then felt great.  To this day he still won't let it go about him giving me ride to my truck in a skirt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But that is a false assumption I don't wear one to make other people look at me. I wear one for my comforts not others. Other people assume its a "look at me"
Just like I do not assume a women wearing a tight shirt and a short ass showing mini skirt is a whore that will sleep with any man.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I just walk around in a towel.   It's my look.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just walk around in a towel.   It's my look.
View Quote

yeah but you are one of the lucky few that can pull it off...
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Not yet but we just booked a trip to Scotland for next year.  Pretty sure I'll get drunk and try it sometime.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
https://youtu.be/MZ35SOU9HTM

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope, but I do wear Lederhosen.
View Quote

This /\/\/\.

But if I was Scottish I would rock a kilt to an event where it was common. Not to Walmart or the liquor store. I do believe I would have some shorts on underneath though!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I wore this when I lived in Dubai

that was many moons ago but during Christmas non the less

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was young a make up artist woman I knew dressed me up with a skirt, blouse, fake boobs, and ass made out of some osrt of rubber like stuff. Her make-up work was unbelievable and when I looked in the mirror I remember thinking, damn, I make a good looking woman. We went to a party where I knew nearly everyone, and at first nobody knew it was me. A man I knew came up to me and gave me a look that told me he was thinking of me in a way I didn't like. He started talking while giving me what I assume was his flirting looks. I played along as long as I could without saying hardly anything, and when I did, with my best impression of a woman. Didn't take long and he knew something was up. When he found out it was me he was embarrassed as hell. I was like, this is some weird shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looking at your post count... glass houses.  Just sayin.
View Quote

People who like to talk (a lot) are attention whores now?

If I was an attention whore, I'd be wearing kitty ear headbands in public. That's the female equivalent of a kilt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can be comfortable in standard clothing. Some things you can't wear out, like snuggies and pjs and kilts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got married in a kilt.
View Quote

Yep, me too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm sorry you can't handle people disagreeing with you. Maybe you should get off the discussion board if it bothers you so much to, you know, discuss things?

Kilt guys are such wusses.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I tried on a skirt 4 or 5 times.  Is it true you're supposed to be naked under a kilt?
View Quote

Yep, Its called "being regimental"
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm sorry you can't handle people disagreeing with you. Maybe you should get off the discussion board if it bothers you so much to, you know, discuss things?
View Quote

Discussing? Is that what you are doing? Interesting interpretation for the term...
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You can be comfortable in standard clothing. Some things you can't wear out, like snuggies and pjs and kilts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can and will wear a kilt and since I am not trying to impress anyone it hurts nothing. And if you choose to malke snap judgements about a person based on their style of dress that is obviously your right and harms me in no way.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I own a kilt. I will wear it to the Robert Burns Supper next month. I like to say I'm the personification of magnificence.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If I was an attention whore, I'd be wearing kitty ear headbands in public. That's the female equivalent of a kilt.
View Quote

They've improved them.  Besides the old style that are just ears on a headband, you can now get a set that have some sort of biofeedback sensor in the headband, with little servo motors in the base of the ears.  Your mood determines which way the ears move.

The fashion industry has to work, if it wants to keep up with attention whores.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#37]
The real question is did you wear pantyhose with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I wear a kilt regularly, my family is part of a local scottish heritage group, we have regular meetings and get togethers where everyone wears a kilt. Though there are many of us who wear our kilts on a regular basis (once or twice a week). I've also competed in highland games, nobody questions your masculinity when you're throwing heavy shit. And I've never met anyone who wears a kilt that gave a crap what people think anyways. Most comfortable clothing I own, not about to stop wearing it because some people on the internet say it's gay or attention whoring. In the real world I only ever get compliments on it, rarely you'll see someone who you can tell has something shitty they want to say, they're always too chicken shit to actually do it though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wear a kilt regularly, my family is part of a local scottish heritage group, we have regular meetings and get togethers where everyone wears a kilt. Though there are many of us who wear our kilts on a regular basis (once or twice a week). I've also competed in highland games, nobody questions your masculinity when you're throwing heavy shit. And I've never met anyone who wears a kilt that gave a crap what people think anyways. Most comfortable clothing I own, not about to stop wearing it because some people on the internet say it's gay or attention whoring. In the real world I only ever get compliments on it, rarely you'll see someone who you can tell has something shitty they want to say, they're always too chicken shit to actually do it though.
View Quote

Because most people are taught since they're kids that if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. So for everyone 1 person that says cool kilt bro 20 others are rolling their eyes thinking what a douchebag.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
nope.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Toga,,,,Toga,,,,,Toga!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Discussing? Is that what you are doing? Interesting interpretation for the term...
View Quote

OMG, you're a wuss. You're like the Laird of Clan Wuss. I'm sorry I don't like your dress. Go on and wear it if you like. I'll even say something nice like "your sporran goes well with your bonnet". Just stop pouting, ok?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Actually, if that's what they are thinking it's because they know nothing of history and are putting their ignorance on display.  The most manliest of men have worn kilts throughout history.  Warriors.  Highly skilled warriors.
View Quote

I know plenty of history and sci-fi and fantasy. I think it's awesome that historical personages wore their normal clothing of kilts and kimonos and carried spears and claymores and batleths. What's ludicrous is running around with a Katana or a bone through your nose today in America. You are not an ancient Scotsman. Or ninja. Or Quagaar warrior.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've only seen them worn for special occasions--weddings and other ceremonial events.  YMMV
View Quote

Theme weddings are ridiculous. Living history and costume parties are fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It sounds as though you don't know a thing about kilts and what they represent.  I'm sure as hell not talking about any silly "theme wedding," which just makes a mockery of the whole thing.  People who engage in that kind of silliness are never married long.  You can also gauge the length of the marriage by the volume of cake smashed into each other's face.
View Quote

Men shouldn't 'represent' anything with their clothing. That's the whole point. You don't represent 1940s awesomeness with your fedora, chivalry with greatsword or the Samurai ethic with your tabi socks. It's dorky.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Um, are you so entrenched with arguing you can't recognize when someone is attempting to agree with you?  

I am of Germanic ancestry, so I don't have a kilt.  I wore a tux to my first wedding and a suit to my second.  With pants.  And tighty-whities.  And I didn't goose-step.
View Quote

Oh thank god. The sarcasm flew right over my head. I couldn't believe that you were white knighting for the m'laddies, but I totally missed the irony.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top