Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2023 12:24:40 PM EDT

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/10/06/butterfly-knives-legal-ban-hawaii/71075888007/

Hawaii ban overturned
In Hawaii, butterfly knives have been illegal for the past 30 years. That ban was overturned by a Ninth Circuit Court decision in August, with the court ruling the ban unconstitutional. The court ruled that the knives are protected under the Second Amendment. The issue began with a 2019 appeal challenging the legality of Hawaii's law, leading to the August ruling.
View Quote

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel recently joined 17 other state attorneys general in supporting Hawaii in seeking to reinstate the butterfly knives ban.

“The Ninth Circuit’s decision striking down Hawaii’s butterfly knife ban is misguided and ignores the ‘common use’ test,” Nessel said. "I stand firmly with my colleagues in supporting the right of states to ban extremely dangerous weapons and ask the Ninth Circuit for a panel rehearing in this case."
View Quote

Other than that, a pretty slow news day for Michigan...  other than this gem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing dangerous about them is trying to learn how to use them.

It's all Hollywood bullshit. Anyone who actually learns to fight with it a knife knows that's about the last knife you want.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe the 9th Circuit ignored the plain text of the Constution "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms in common use shall not be infringed."
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's all Hollywood bullshit. Anyone who actually learns to fight with it a knife knows that's about the last knife you want.
View Quote

Any of the training I've done with friends who know how to fight taught me that I don't want to fight with any knife.  I got a lot of red marks on me, and would have been very leaky.  I learned I like guns, distance, and being polite.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife? I’ve got butterfly knives, folders, fixed blade, etc and would go for one of my fixed blade knives first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any of the training I've done with friends who know how to fight taught me that I don't want to fight with any knife.  I got a lot of red marks on me, and would have been very leaky.  I learned I like guns, distance, and being polite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  That is fine as long as it is a choice you make for yourself.  I made the same choice for me.  But it is not fine if someone else makes that choice for you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't believe the 9th Circuit ignored the plain text of the Constution "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms in common use shall not be infringed."
View Quote

Don't forget about the for self defense part.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
butterfly knife is the same as any other folding knife, it just has an extra handle.  I don't personally like butterfly knives but damn calling them dangerous is bullshit. They are no more dangerous then any other kind of knife.

Ignorant people seem to believe the butterfly aspect of this knife makes it super ninja dangerous or something. It's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
butterfly knife is the same as any other folding knife, it just has an extra handle.  I don't personally like butterfly knives but damn calling them dangerous is bullshit. They are no more dangerous then any other kind of knife.

Ignorant people seem to believe the butterfly aspect of this knife makes it super ninja dangerous or something. It's ridiculous.
View Quote
3 wheeled ATVs would murder sleeping families in the dead of the night.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Honda ATC 110 3 wheeler between ages 6 and 10.  Ah those were the good ol days..... No helmet either yet here I am.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree.  That is fine as long as it is a choice you make for yourself.  I made the same choice for me.  But it is not fine if someone else makes that choice for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I have a folding knife in my pocket, and a fixed blade here at my desk I just used on my lunch.  It was a commentary on "BUTTERFLY KNIVES SO MUCHO DANGEROUS WE GOTTA BAN THEM!!!!!"

Just shows how ignorant some people are.  Which is fine... right up to the point they try shoving their ignorace down someone else's throat.  At that point they deserve to have a dunce hat stapled to their head.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in the 9th Circuit version.  "Hunting deer and skeet shooting, being the only acceptable sporting uses, the right of the people to keep and bear arms in common use shall not be infringed."
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]

ERMAHGERD!!!  Are you sure you are still alive?  Are those ALL your's!?!?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife? I've got butterfly knives, folders, fixed blade, etc and would go for one of my fixed blade knives first.
View Quote
Because mostly brown people carried them. Same reason switchblades are illegal - most of the users were Italian.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
regarding "common use", I wonder how many butterfly knives have been sold, as well as switchblades.  get some real numbers from manufacturers to exceed Caetano numbers and even that claim is out the window.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because mostly brown people carried them. Same reason switchblades are illegal - most of the users were Italian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife? I've got butterfly knives, folders, fixed blade, etc and would go for one of my fixed blade knives first.

It was those damn Sharks, man. If only Bernardo hadn't pushed Tony, we wouldn't have these problems, man.

(West Side Story debuted in 1957. The Anti-Switchblade Act was signed into law the following year.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
regarding "common use", I wonder how many butterfly knives have been sold, as well as switchblades.  get some real numbers from manufacturers to exceed Caetano numbers and even that claim is out the window.
View Quote

Common use is such a silly idea.  No new technology could ever become lawful if that's the threshold.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's unreal how many bans were targeted at the undesirables of the day. Drugs were banned incrementally too, based on who the people in power didn't like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
A $.99 steak knife will make a motherfucker just as dead as a butterfly knife will.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
They have 2nd amendment protections in Hawaii?

Who knew?

And...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pffff.

Knife fighting is totally safe, you just gotta wear the right clothes!

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I like that one video with the guy flipping a couple of butterfly knives and he’s like tossing and catching them behind his back and over his head and kicking them up like hacky sacks… until one sticks straight right in the side of his foot. It went ALL the way in.  He was leakin through his sneakers… LOL, dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Butterfly knives are unusually dangerous compared to flipper/spring assist/Emerson Wave/Spiderhole knives, the same way an H&R Topper is more dangerous than a Remington 1100.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two butterfly knives within arms reach right now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

But they're not in common use in Hawaii where they've been illegal for 30 years which means it's okay for them to be illegal in Hawaii. C'mon man.

Same argument gets trotted out for MGs and is bogus for the same reason.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But they're not in common use in Hawaii where they've been illegal for 30 years which means it's okay for them to be illegal in Hawaii. C'mon man.

View Quote

This is one of the reasons that some of us believe SBRs may get split out of the NFA, and possibly suppressors after that.  These are items that are in common use DESPITE illegal restrictions.

MGs are an interesting one, because NFA was the solution when they believed an all out ban wouldn’t pass constitutional muster.  I don’t think we’ll see MGs removed from the NFA in my lifetime, but I could certainly see the Hughes Amendment overturned in the next few years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife? I’ve got butterfly knives, folders, fixed blade, etc and would go for one of my fixed blade knives first.
View Quote

It's dangerous to the operator, not really others unless you send it flying across the room.

No, they're scary and intimidating. That's why. That's it. Oh yeah, and "undesirables". At the restaurant I would bust out my Benchmade 67 and flip it around and open boxes. I turn around and my coworkers and underlings were like
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ERMAHGERD!!!  Are you sure you are still alive?  Are those ALL your's!?!?
View Quote

Yes, all mine. And I'm still alive. Technically.

Quality balisongs are not cheap either. Nearly 5k in that picture.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some slick-haired greaser in some 50's gang movie used one once to shank a rival gang member.
That is now ingrained in the psyche of boomer politicians and smooth brained Democrats who can't separate fiction from fact.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Dana Nessel is a certified fascist cunt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
fwiw, Gerber makes a butterfly machete.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hollywood.   Same as switchblades.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is one of the reasons that some of us believe SBRs may get split out of the NFA, and possibly suppressors after that.  These are items that are in common use DESPITE illegal restrictions.

MGs are an interesting one, because NFA was the solution when they believed an all out ban wouldn’t pass constitutional muster.  I don’t think we’ll see MGs removed from the NFA in my lifetime, but I could certainly see the Hughes Amendment overturned in the next few years.
View Quote

I was thinking about the ATF claiming bumpstocks are MGs. Let’s say we agreed with that. Estimate I last saw was something like 500k+ in public hands. That number would satisfy common use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Butterfly knives are far more dangerous to the novice user than others around them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's because stupid people like to ban things that look scary to them.

"Oh noes! If we don't ban switchblades, there'll be all this dancing in the streets!"

Butterfly knife = scary martial arts knife.

Same reason downward/spiking elbows are banned in the UFC. One of the folks involved in the regs, was at one of those martial arts demos and saw someone perform one of those stacked ice block breaks with a downward elbow, and immediately thought, "Oh noes! Too dangerous!", and had the technique banned, not understanding that the 'slashing elbow' that's allowed, is also used for breaking demos, and in fact, can deliver even more force from the body torque.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Common use is such a silly idea.  No new technology could ever become lawful if that's the threshold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, would agree. how will we ever be able to get a Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range if they are permitted to ban them before they are able to be sold enough to become common.

but, since we have that ruling that anything in common use can't be unusual, then that is the standard right now.

Quoted:
Quoted:

wasn't saying that at all.

just like stun guns weren't legal in Mass for Caetano so how could they ever be in common use there?  SCOTUS did not limiit it requiring it to be common in Mass to rule it unconstitutional
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#39]
we used to bring them to school in the 80s.  teacher would say put those away, before you cut yourselves.  recess, gym class were like a kung fu movie, nobody cared
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s because the Irish wouldn’t let them have guns

See NYC’s Sullivan Law…
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]

I have a GooLoo jump starter too. Bring it on
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some slick-haired greaser in some 50's gang movie used one once to shank a rival gang member.
That is now ingrained in the psyche of boomer politicians and smooth brained Democrats who can't separate fiction from fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally just like suppressors.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#43]
There are at least 3 of them in my house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#45]
EXCITING 9th CIRCUIT NEWS: Anti-gunners Desperate as Terrific Brief Filed in Arms (Knife) Ban Case

tl;dw: an obscure knife law case in Hawaii (and seemingly slam-dunk win for us good guys) might be more important for the 2A than many realize, due to it possibly setting post-Bruen precedent in the 9th circus.  More or less.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#46]
And what, supposedly, makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't believe you didn't know the 9th Circuit doesn't read the Constitution. They are the most liberal and most overturned of the Circuit Courts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And what, supposedly, makes a butterfly knife more dangerous than any other knife?
View Quote
TV and movies
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had one a friend gave me years ago. It was a piece of crap but did make a decent letter opener. If you have to resort to a letter opener for self-defense, you are really screwed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Opening it from the bite handle.

Politicians get worked up over banning the dumbest crap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top