BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The death penalty is in major decline all across the country, including Texas. It's mainly about money and resources for rural counties and political opposition in larger counties. I know that since the TX Legislature added life without parole several sessions ago, it's pretty much become the defacto penalty for capital murder.

I don't even recall the last time the death penalty was sought for anyone in my area(DFW). Used to, I'd at least hear about it being sought by a DA or sentenced to someone a few times a year, even if it was just from some random newscast on in the background. Pretty much doesn't happen now.
View Quote

The shitty thing about life without parole is that it doesnt always stay that way.

We see all the time when some appeal to a murder case gets played out on the news. Sometimes it makes for an interesting soundbite, but it always seems to hedge on something very circumstantial or attempts to get a new trial or some sort of sentencing consideration from an ultra lenient judge, and prosecuting a 30 year old case is never easy- your detectives are retired (or dead), much of the evidence is no longer available, you certainly can't find reliable witnesses after that time...

I mean, I don't have any answer to it. It just seems like during the past couple of years we've seen a lot of very questionable attempts to reframe cases that were slam dunks, and you'll normally hear people even here complain about how "sketchy" it is that the prosecutors in a given county arent willing to go back and re-test some magical new DNA evidence or something. Well no shit, they don't know anything about the case and don't want to fight an uphill battle. I can't think of names offhand but I know there have been a couple of netflix shows in the past year pimping that angle and trying to seed very questionable and curated statements and minutiae into doubt about cases that sure seem like they were good.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top