Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2021 11:19:54 AM EDT
We are taking my son to gatorland next month, and also want to take him to "explore" some tide pools or something in the ocean. He loves coyote peterson on youtube and loves finding little creatures, so we think it would be fun if we could find an area close to orlando that would be like that. Not sure how its laid out in florida, i would expect maybe a state park or something? most of what I am seeing online seems like the east coast is pretty heavily just sandy beaches. We just want him to find, crabs and snails and see some fish in some tide pools and whatnot.

any suggestions?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Cute kid.

From my experience, FL doesn't have many tidal pools.

Not close to Orlando, but if you make it to Boca Raton there is a place called Gumbo Limbo Nature Center.   Lots of sealife to look at.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a day and drive down and spend a night in or around Siesta Key. Its a couple-few hour drive from Orlando.

Go out at night with flash lights at low tide on Siesta Beach.

Wade around in the shallows at low tide and you will find all sorts of fun critters.

Down near Homestead/Miami there are several awesome reptile rescue non-profits that are open to the public, and is a neat chance to see a lot of the more venomous varieties of reptiles.

https://www.evergladesoutpost.org/
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Alligator farm?

(Yes that’s a thing)
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The Gulf is calmer most of the time compared to the Atlantic. St Pete has a nice aquarium and nice beaches. Fort Desoto is a nice place to visit as well. Sea creatures can be found at all 3
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Take him on an airboat tour with Midway airboat tours. Half way between Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center.
We went and it was awesome.
We’re in Cocoa Beach right now wrapping up the last few days of our Winter vacation
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a day and drive down and spend a night in or around Siesta Key. Its a couple-few hour drive from Orlando.

Go out at night with flash lights at low tide on Siesta Beach.

Wade around in the shallows at low tide and you will find all sorts of fun critters.
View Quote

That's quite a trek from orlando but Siesta is nice.

You'll be closer to Cocoa Beach (look at critters around the pier) or even Daytona.  Not may tidepools though.

I know this is unrelated but if he likes space too, the Space Center would be an awesome day trip for you...plus you would be near the beach!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sebastian Inlet State Park
View Quote

Another good suggestion although not that many animals to see unless the manatees are around. We didn’t see a one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The Atlantic is much closer to Orlando than the Gulf. I think he will find plenty to be interested in on the great sand beaches anywhere east of Orlando.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take him on an airboat tour with Midway airboat tours. Half way between Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center.
We’re in Cocoa Beach right now wrapping up the last few days of our Winter vacation
View Quote

thats a good one, my wife was asking about one but i wasnt sure. I went on a ride with my grandparents like 18 years ago and had a blast
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Marineland in Flagler.
https://marineland.net/

Ormond is a nice beach, not too crowded.  Some shells to pick up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Just go to Sea World. I'm not sure post Covid but they had touch tanks an you could feed the dolphin.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral is probably the closest.
All sorts of sea creatures hanging in and around the riprap that leads out to the pier.
Plus you can wonder around the seawall and docks at the port and see all sorts of stuff , usually a few manatees hanging around fresh water outlets , plus he can fish there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Cape Canaveral National Seasore. You can enter through the north entrance in New Smyrna. It's operated by the National Park Service and is very quiet, private, and has facilities.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Guessing gulf side will be the answer. Enjoy but also always have safety in the back of your mind no matter how tranquil the water might seem. I would love to have taken my daughter to the theme parks in Orlando and to see the Sunsets on the gulf side. Best wishes for a fun and safe trip
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Sanibel Island isn't exactly close to Orlando, but the Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve has lots of various critters.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Gulf side is probably the better choice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Gatorland was surprisingly fun for my son when he was younger. They've been around forever and have definitely got it figured out. Various shows like gator feeding and wrestling. Do your own walk or ride the train. Buy hotdogs to do your own feed the gators which really means the egrets steal about half.

Take lots of pictures. Our favorites are inside the parakeet areas where you feed them seeds off of sticks. Good times. My son turns 25 next Monday and we still laugh about Gatorland.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Bio Lab Rd
Mims, FL  32754

All kinds of tidal pools and wildlife.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Sea World Discovery Cove is the answer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Take 528 Beeline East to Cape Carnival .
As you come up on (and just after you go over) the bridges that cross over the Indian and Banana Rivers, there is a road that goes under these bridges, and to the other lane of traffic, where people fish , camp and just generally hang out on lunch or what-not.

You can often see manatees lumbering buy just under the water. You can touch them as they go buy if theyre close enough.
Then, after youve seen enough of that, you can continue on to Port Canaveral , and/or continue down A1A to Cocoa Beach, Patrick AFB, Indiatlantic, Melbourne, Sebastian, etc
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Always wear tennis shoes, especially when wading. Learn the stingray shuffle.

If you accidentally tie into a jellyfish, you'll look like a genius if you have a bottle of ammonia on hand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#23]
You aren't going to find what you are looking for that far north.  

As others suggested, Sebastian inlet has a tide pooling area on the north side of the inlet.  The water isn't very clear, but crabs and starfish can be found.

This is a bit of a drive from Orlando, but a much better area in Hobe Sound:

Blowing Rocks Preserve

Low tide will give you exposed rocks and tide pools.   Higher tides are good for snorkeling around the rocks.

You are going to want shoes for tide pooling.  Cocquina is not a barefoot friendly rock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I recommend New Smyrna. There is non driving south of 27th Ave and the park there has facilities and pay parking. Water tends to be shallow and small waves near shore (tide dependent). In this area you also have access to Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gatorland was surprisingly fun for my son when he was younger. They've been around forever and have definitely got it figured out. Various shows like gator feeding and wrestling. Do your own walk or ride the train. Buy hotdogs to do your own feed the gators which really means the egrets steal about half.

Take lots of pictures. Our favorites are inside the parakeet areas where you feed them seeds off of sticks. Good times. My son turns 25 next Monday and we still laugh about Gatorland.
View Quote

i went when i was a little older than him and its only expanded since then. he will watch documentaries about alligator then hit you up with facts lol
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I can't recommend Rainbow Springs enough. It's a crystal clear spring that feeds a river. You can kayak on it, and swim on it. When you kayak, you will see alligators and turtles everywhere. The water is crystal clear to the bottom. You can see everything 15 ft deep. It is beautiful, and you can easily spend the day there. It's just an hour or so north of Orlando.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

thats a good one, my wife was asking about one but i wasnt sure. I went on a ride with my grandparents like 18 years ago and had a blast
View Quote

Lone Cabbage fish camp is also good , plenty of Gators in the wild , they have airboat rides as well.
It's on 520 on the Brevard/Orange county border.

Leave the snakes alone though , you can have a bad day if you piss one off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I miss the beaches of Orlando.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I miss the beaches of Orlando.
View Quote

herp derp
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the west coast of FL. FL is full of shit that swims, crawls, slithers... Your boy will love it...  Just be careful.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Always wear tennis shoes, especially when wading. Learn the stingray shuffle.

If you accidentally tie into a jellyfish, you'll look like a genius if you have a bottle of ammonia on hand.
View Quote

Great point!
Or meat tenderizer.

I grew up progging around tidal marshes.
Still do.
Actually working on eel pots as I type!

Billie Swamp Safari was a blast.
Airboat rides, gators, hogs.
All the grunge work was done by resentful white kids. My brother made a comment about it to the airboat guy, and he invited us hog hunting that night.

Your son is at a great age, full of wonder!
I bestow upon you The Great Dad award for nurturing it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#33]
If you're in the Cape Canaveral area, you just might luck out and see a launch. The night ones are the prettiest one, expecially if there a couple of thin cloud layers. It's a very entertaining light show, even if it lasts less than a minute.

There are several websites that list dates/times.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lone Cabbage fish camp is also good , plenty of Gators in the wild , they have airboat rides as well.
It's on 520 on the Brevard/Orange county border.
View Quote

And now I'm craving popcorn gator
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, we have done the midway boat tour

Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Prolly see some manatees around Haulover Canal by Canaveral Seashore. You can explore around the canal that connects the Indian River to the Mosquito Lagoon.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Prolly see some manatees around Haulover Canal by Canaveral Seashore. You can explore around the canal that connects the Indian River to the Mosquito Lagoon.
View Quote

is that all public land around there? on satellite it looks like there are places to pull off with some trails leading up to water and whatnot
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We are taking my son to gatorland next month, and also want to take him to "explore" some tide pools or something in the ocean. He loves coyote peterson on youtube and loves finding little creatures, so we think it would be fun if we could find an area close to orlando that would be like that. Not sure how its laid out in florida, i would expect maybe a state park or something? most of what I am seeing online seems like the east coast is pretty heavily just sandy beaches. We just want him to find, crabs and snails and see some fish in some tide pools and whatnot.

any suggestions?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278107/IMG_2308_JPEG-1830572.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278107/IMG_2299_JPEG-1830573.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278107/IMG_2640_JPEG-1830575.JPG
View Quote

How about some kind a zoo or aquarium?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I like Florida, no offense but the fish and seashell in Hawaii are more colorful. California doesn’t even have the colorfullness although there’s some neat colorful sea creatures you can see scuba diving in Point Lobos. I learned about Flamingos while visiting Miami. Saw a chart with birds and seashells for Florida and asked the owner of the store why everyone example was clear or brown or neutral color and he said the shells they sell in the store that I bought for my daughter are imported
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

All my time surfing California I’ve never seen a dolphin but Channel Islands surfboards just posted another pic of their latest board featuring a dolphin next to Dane Reynolds at Ventura in their latest surfboard review. First day surfing in Florida a dolphin jumped over me
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like Florida, no offense but the fish and seashell in Hawaii are more colorful. California doesn’t even have the colorfullness although there’s some neat colorful sea creatures you can see scuba diving in Point Lobos. I learned about Flamingos while visiting Miami. Saw a chart with birds and seashells for Florida and asked the owner of the store why everyone example was clear or brown or neutral color and he said the shells they sell in the store that I bought for my daughter are imported
View Quote

I agree 100%

And I have a residence in both FL and HI.

Yes, more dolphin encounters in FL.  
More sea turtle encounters in HI
That's my experience.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

herp derp
View Quote

I was in Crystal River a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Its usually a very busy time of year because it is manatee season, but covid has resulted in many fewer visitors. I'm not sure when the season ends, but the inside is 72 degrees, year round and the manatees come in in mass.

I think your little buddy would get a kick out that.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Seaworld Discovery Cove. Snorkel with the fish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cape Canaveral National Seasore. You can enter through the north entrance in New Smyrnia. It's operated by the National Park Service and is very quiet, private, and has facilities.
View Quote

Just make sure you don't go all the way to the last northernmost parking lot/beach access. Unless you like naked people.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd agree. You could come to cocoa beach but we don't have tidal pools or much in the line of critters. Sebastian has a literal tidal pool to play in
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bio Lab Rd
Mims, FL  32754

All kinds of tidal pools and wildlife.
View Quote

Don't send people to my fishing spot
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Take 528 Beeline East to Cape Carnival .
As you come up on (and just after you go over) the bridges that cross over the Indian and Banana Rivers, there is a road that goes under these bridges, and to the other lane of traffic, where people fish , camp and just generally hang out on lunch or what-not.
https://i.imgur.com/YixDhaz.png

You can often see manatees lumbering buy just under the water. You can touch them as they go buy if theyre close enough.
Then, after youve seen enough of that, you can continue on to Port Canaveral , and/or continue down A1A to Cocoa Beach, Patrick AFB, Indiatlantic, Melbourne, Sebastian, etc
View Quote

This is my ao. The rivers are not exactly pretty at the moment. They've been gross for years. We need to leave the locks open but that's another thread
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sea World Discovery Cove is the answer.
View Quote

Hell yeah. A+ will do again. When our 4th is a little older we are taking a trip to Florida and going to do a day or two there.  I’m not big on resorts or theme park like places but my wife and I spent the day there when we did a tour of FL after getting married. It’s expensive but worth it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Another vote for Sanibel Island - Lighthouse Beach. The beach is made out of seashells. I was down there last month and found the above. Also found a couple of conchs in the water that still had crabs in them. Turned those loose.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I would choose adventure!  And initiative!

2-3 hours to either coast OP!  Get both!

You’ll never have regerts
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top