Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
OP wouldnt be the first to fail at saving a stripper.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
As others have stated, nothing can be done.   Until she wants the help, nothing.  When she does hit rock bottom, and I hope she does not, naltrexone, methadone, things like that.   There was a username on reddit that was a spiral into addiction.

I hope for the best for you OP.   It will and probably has broken your heart.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm 24, but lets hypothetically say I have a 28 year old daughter who is hopelessly addicted to heroin, shoots up daily, pawns off my belongings, and is overall a burden on my life.

Short of them getting arrested, what could I do as the parent to get them clean, even if they are unwilling to do it themselves?
View Quote
Dealing with addiction isn't for the uninformed.  I would recommend parents read the Addictive Brain to understand why a person falls prey to addiction, what characteristics of addiction are, what changes have to occur to over come addiction and what enabling is.  As well as that, I would immediately start going to al-non classes or similar to learn about enabling behaviors and how they hurt rather than help.  Addiction is far more inclined to perpetuate in emeshed boundaries than firm boundaries.

Good luck, its not going to be a fun ride.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw a family friend go through the same. Nothing and I mean NOTHING can be done to help. They have to recover on their own, and make that decision for them self.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Except they have to stay on it because if they stop the withdrawal is a lot worse. A typical opiate withdrawal lasts about a week. A suboxone withdrawal lasts a month or more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suboxone. Same treatment as methadone, but far superior as a program and instead of getting you just as high like methadone does, Suboxone only keeps them from going into withdrawal. Its something they can live a productive life on until they got off of, unlike heroin or methadone.
Except they have to stay on it because if they stop the withdrawal is a lot worse. A typical opiate withdrawal lasts about a week. A suboxone withdrawal lasts a month or more
True that is does take longer to get past the withdrawal symptoms from sub than heroin. But I feel the chance of staying clean is much higher the sub route than the cold turkey route. It would also get her used to living life without a needle in her arm (as would methadone, but again I feel sub is superior as a med and program as far as success would go)
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not unusual for people to be on it for life. But I ask, what's the lesser of two evils? Functioning member of society on Suboxone or a hopeless junkie?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait for her to start stripping, move in with her drug dealer boyfriend who beats the shit out of her. Then she will get arrested, OD 3-4 times, and get narcan'd back to life each time.

Once she does all that she will get shipped off to rehab, get out and have a kid with a Marine.

Worked for my Ex.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dealing with addiction isn't for the uninformed.  I would recommend parents read the Addictive Brain to understand why a person falls prey to addiction, what characteristics of addiction are, what changes have to occur to over come addiction and what enabling is.  As well as that, I would immediately start going to al-non classes or similar to learn about enabling behaviors and how they hurt rather than help.  Addiction is far more inclined to perpetuate in emeshed boundaries than firm boundaries.

Good luck, its not going to be a fun ride.
View Quote
Whoa, haven't seen you around here in a long time....
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm in the shoes of someone who cares about their daughter and doesn't want to see her OD and die, although I'm going to extricate myself from their lives and stop supporting her and her POS man any further. Just wondering if it is possible to forcibly put someone into rehab or something.
View Quote
The tragically harsh reality is that there is nothing you can do to prevent that. Depending on how far gone she is, there may not be anything she can do to prevent it either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
this topic should be moved to the ZOMBIE  forum.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
As a Parole Officer I supervised Parolees after they got out of a prison doing 2-5 years.

They were absolutly clean when they reported, and stayed clean for maybe a month or two or three.

But eventually, they would go back to the drugs, they hadn't kicked the habit in their own brain enough to see how bad it was for them and what it did to their lives.

So back to prison they go.

Nothing you can do for them until they want it more than you do .
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
cut slingload OP
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Wait for her to want to quit.  Do not lock her out of your life due to Drug Seeking Behavior, but he careful as addicts do steal and will sometimes set up their family and friends to be targeted by their drug buddies.  Be there for her when and if she wants professional help, which will cost money that she doesn't have.  In the meantime all you can do is give her some low key support, maybe a hot meal now and then as you wait for her to hit bottom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Suboxone is the only way I have seen work.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suboxone is the only way I have seen work.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There are two things that greatly affect recovery. The first is the length of time and volume of drugs they've been using, the other is their mental awareness and desire to recover.

If they've been using an ounce of black a week or more and have been for many years, then they aren't going to be fixed in a month.
View Quote
Not too sure on the volume of usage, but they have been addicted for the last 7 years.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OP is Chuck Norris - the only man to have lost his virginity before his father did.
View Quote
How did you find that out!?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What many here fail to understand for addicts is that they become physically dependent on the drug. Meaning they are forced to take it or the withdrawal symptoms come creeping up and can feel like the worst flu ever and also a sheer mental anguish and depression that forces to body to seek out the drug because it now “needs it”

This is what forces many to crime once they go broke buying the drug

Most aren’t even doing it to feel high anymore, they do it to feel normal
View Quote
I fear that she is at this stage. A few times she has been unable to get the drug and curled up into the fetal position during withdrawals and pissed/shit herself.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Even if they want to get clean, the withdrawals would likely convince them that quitting is a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Coming from the ex user side of things the only thing you can do is not help her use and wait till she makes the choice and when she does be there for her and it'll take a couple trys if she wanting to do it, Just had a friend kick last July and hasn't used it since , she came off a 10 yr run and doing great, nice to see a side of her I hadn't before

Another is getting closer been a hard last 15 months with her been to 2 detoxes but 5 hr later was getting slammed again but she is getting close , I'm the only person to see her not high on H in 7 years be it a very short time but she will get there in the next several months I'm sure

One thing that can help if she's getting a mind set that she wants to quite is getting het to snort or foil it,  but to some the needle & spoon are part of it
View Quote
She hits the needle pretty hard, has tracks up and down both arms.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let me guess, she also blames you for her addiction.
View Quote
Not too sure where the blame is in this one, some old fuck turned her onto it 7 years ago, the died a year later. Since he got her started it has been a terrible downward spiral.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
locke them up in a closet for a few weeks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why rule out having her arrested?
View Quote
It's not ruled out, just a less preferred alternative to actual rehab or help.

It is a very real possibility.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
come to grips that there is no hope. The only thing I've seen break heroin, and alcoholism, is a minimum 18 month prison term. For women. men are a different story.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. If you are the source of their financial welfare including their drug habit then cut that shit off. Secure your property prosecute if they trespass.

Junkies suck.
View Quote
This is the road that is currently being taken, was supplying food, housing, and rides to work. Now it all ends.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
come to grips that there is no hope. The only thing I've seen break heroin, and alcoholism, is a minimum 18 month prison term. For women. men are a different story.
View Quote
What finally broke heroin addiction for my cousin was dying of an overdose.

That tends to do the trick.

Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
You let Darwin win.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
start buying them monster energy and rock star energy.  tell them to drink 10-20 cans a day and they wont have to use herione anymore.

trust me , it works.
View Quote
I worked with someone who used to use heroin and she was pounding 5 hour energy shots and red bull all the time.   I wonder what it is about that shit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP should be asking parenting advice because the raised a drug abusing stripper with possible daddy issues.
View Quote
Daughter was in a different state when it all started, several family events led to being in the same state where it was found that she is now an addict.

Daddy was abusive and drink back in the day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just wait for her to start stripping, move in with her drug dealer boyfriend who beats the shit out of her. Then she will get arrested, OD 3-4 times, and get narcan'd back to life each time.

Once she does all that she will get shipped off to rehab, get out and have a kid with a Marine.

Worked for my Ex.
View Quote
Al of that is currently true/has happened save for the OD parts, though I think she is well on her way to it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait for her to want to quit.  Do not lock her out of your life due to Drug Seeking Behavior, but he careful as addicts do steal and will sometimes set up their family and friends to be targeted by their drug buddies.  Be there for her when and if she wants professional help, which will cost money that she doesn't have.  In the meantime all you can do is give her some low key support, maybe a hot meal now and then as you wait for her to hit bottom.
View Quote
Christmas Eve she pawned the living room TV the TV I owned....
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I read something about how they could banish cocaine addiction with a single injection.

Completely removes the compulsion.

I feel certain other addictions will fall as well.

Many people can WANT to end their addiction but cannot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#35]
The other problem that is not mentioned is that they need to replace their circle of friends.
Even if they come clean, if they're around other users sometimes the temptation is too great.

I have a addictive personality so I've always stayed away from drugs.
I know that trying som thing just once can get me hooked.
I had a friend growing up who's parents were addicts and had drugs all over the house.
He tried cocaine by 12 years of age, heroin at 16.
He went to rehab at 18 and got clean.
A year later he moved clear across the country so that he wouldn't be around the same people including his own parents.
I never forgot what he told me, he said that the best high he ever had was from smoking heroin the first time. He said that after that he was chasing that first high and that no matter how much more he took,his high was never quite as good as the first time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nothing.
You can't fix an addict until the addict wants to be fixed.
My condolences.
View Quote
^ This,
And OP - Watch the 1987 film "Less Than Zero" or read the 1985 book, and tell us what you've learned about the damages from addiction.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change the locks, check that no windows have been rigged from inside to allow entry, secure garage and any outbuildings or sheds, show neighbors her photo, hide any of your own legal prescriptions, check for anything else that might be missing,...and harden your heart against pleas for money.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Outlaw narcan, this issue will control itself.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
who are we actually referring to here?
did you fall in love with a heroine addicted stripper???    
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nothing.
You can't fix an addict until the addict wants to be fixed.
My condolences.
View Quote
This. My brother started getting into that shit when he was 16. Multiple rehab visits before he was 20, as well as numerous arrests. Finally, one of the charges stuck, and he went to prison for 5 years.

He was using again within days of getting out of prison, despite living in a sober living halfway house. He got kicked out of there after they found him OD'ing in the bathroom.

He's currently living under a bridge in KC. Paranoid, little junkie. I hope next call I get is he is back behind bars, not that he's dead. At this point, those are the only 2 things I want to know, if he's dead, or in jail.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Suboxone may help.

Buprenorphine is the devil though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, tracks on both arms does not sound very good.  .  Hoping for the best for you and your family.  

Pickup that book that has been mentioned too.   Just a messed up situation and adds to your stress and everyone else around you and her.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing. You could make it all legal. That would take the drug money away from the criminals
Otherwise unless they want to help themselves you can not force anything on them.

Drug problems could be most successfully combated by drug education. Not bans and arrests. The criminals make so much money off the illegal nature they would never want to legal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought opiates were like a $20/day habit.

Can you get this person to do any housekeeping or cooking?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Your daughter is a "them"? Tranny?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#46]
See this and have this talk with families all the time and here is the truth.

Heroin addicts only have a few options for outcomes:
1. They break the law bad enough and go to jail, 95% relapse after getting out of jail Fact
2. They OD and die.
3. THEY chose to go into rehab and make it stick. But in order to do it they have to make major changes, and one of the most important is leaving that entire past behind.  The best thing is to move away, because if they stay in the same area they will run into their old user buddies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
start buying them monster energy and rock star energy.  tell them to drink 10-20 cans a day and they wont have to use herione anymore.

trust me , it works.
View Quote
This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pics of hypothetical heroin addicted daughter?
View Quote
wtf
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read here.
View Quote
you never did ripits when you was in the military dude?  
drinking a ton of them (chug 10 or more)   + heroin will cause you to quit early.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top