Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm the older brother of a recovering heroin junkie.

There's nothing that can be done until they hit rock bottom and want to get better. I mean they desperately want to kick the junk. My sister said she wanted to quit several times. But this last time, she appeared at my house in tears telling me in painful detail how she got to where she is and she desperately wanted to quit the junk.

A very long story short, she is going on 3 months off of heroin. Some can come back from it. But they have to want to get better more than they want go get high. It took my sister quitting 15+ times to make it stick.

To stay off it, she has to basically start a new way of living life. She has no friends that don't get high, she doesn't have a job, her credit is ruined, but at least she doesn't have a criminal record.

I wish you and whoever you're concerned about luck OP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What many here fail to understand for addicts is that they become physically dependent on the drug. Meaning they are forced to take it or the withdrawal symptoms come creeping up and can feel like the worst flu ever and also a sheer mental anguish and depression that forces to body to seek out the drug because it now “needs it”

This is what forces many to crime once they go broke buying the drug

Most aren’t even doing it to feel high anymore, they do it to feel normal
View Quote
Very true post and almost impossible for some to understand until they have tasted addiction themselves.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kratom might help with the physical addiction.  12 step recovery is the only effective cure for the actual disease.
View Quote
The part in red is not at all true.  There are other ways than “the rooms”.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Many years ago, I watched a TV interview with Johnny Cash.  The interviewer asked him how has he been since he kicked his drug habit?

JR corrected him and said that even though he doesn't take drugs any more, he hasn't kicked his addiction. He said he is going to have to fight it every day for the rest of his life.

That has always stuck with me when it comes to discussions about drugs and how to get people off them.......
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top