Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It isn't the 60s or the 80s anymore. The tops on recent jeeps come off in several panels that a single person can manipulate and stack. I'm sure this will be similar. Tons of soft top options are available and are much better than they used to be as well. I'm sure those manufacturers will be tripping over themselves making them available for the bronco as well. About 1/10 jeeps I see are sporting the hard top, the vast majority have a soft top of some sort. It's probably the #1 sales appeal to the cheerleaders and soccer moms who buy most of them.
View Quote
A modular top would be bad ass.  Sides that could come off would be nice.  When I had a soft top TJ I rarely took the top off.  Just the sides and the door sides.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You mean that professionally produced video wasn't hidden camera footage from/by an enthusiast forum?

In a world of unibody, FWD based "tall car" CUVs with classic nameplates stuck on them, it sure is nice to see something different.

They are morons if they don't do a Raptor version.

ETA: I bet the 2 doors make up like 10% of units sold. There is a reason nobody really does 2 door SUVs anymore. I see 4 door JLs everywhere, seldom see a 2 door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worked for Ford for the past 2 years...

Bronco Nation is ran by Ford.  

/thread

You mean that professionally produced video wasn't hidden camera footage from/by an enthusiast forum?

In a world of unibody, FWD based "tall car" CUVs with classic nameplates stuck on them, it sure is nice to see something different.

They are morons if they don't do a Raptor version.

ETA: I bet the 2 doors make up like 10% of units sold. There is a reason nobody really does 2 door SUVs anymore. I see 4 door JLs everywhere, seldom see a 2 door.

Two door JKs and JLs look weird because I'm just not used to seeing them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Still want the Ford Troller.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just hope they aren't as bad as the explorers but I'm afraid they will be.
View Quote
Bad as the Explorers, you mean the most popular #1 selling SUV in the country? I fucking swear people are such prima donnas that think Ford or whoever should build them one off custom vehicles to order and do it in two weeks for $25k or less.

Our 13 Explorer built in the spring of 2012 is the nicest car we have ever owned, it is loaded with options and safety equipment, fast, good mpg, quiet, handles great, and is capable of driving Alaska winters with typical highway tires, if anything it is a remarkable vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It isn’t the 60s or the 80s anymore. The tops on recent jeeps come off in several panels that a single person can manipulate and stack. I’m sure this will be similar. Tons of soft top options are available and are much better than they used to be as well. I’m sure those manufacturers will be tripping over themselves making them available for the bronco as well. About 1/10 jeeps I see are sporting the hard top, the vast majority have a soft top of some sort. It’s probably the #1 sales appeal to the cheerleaders and soccer moms who buy most of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm liking that two door a lot.

Same. Especially if the roof is removable.
My opinion: the removable roof is the single least desirable option ever in this class of vehicle. This is from the owner of a 74 and 84 K5 Blazer plus I rode around in 60s and 80s Broncos owned by friends many times. My high school GF had a 66 with a 289, by far the most wanted model for Bronco fans today. First thing is if you take the roof off you need someplace safe to put it, I recall one dumbass who got his top off and immediately backed over it. Also don't lose those bolts and trim pieces. Count on it raining as soon as you get 30 minutes from home. Riding in an open top Bronco or Blazer wasn't really pleasant, too cold and windy here, too hot and dirty in the desert.

I doubt the larger model would fit a Coyote, although the new push rod motor would slip in 7.3 would make the Bronco a monster, Ford could always shorten the stroke to get it down around 396 to 400 cu inches which is plenty to make anything Bronco size a Tiger among animals destined for lunch. Boosted there is really no need to use the larger 3.5 when you have the stellar performing 2.7, my favorite modern Ford engine. Get the baby Sport model under 4k lbs with lots of aluminum and it would smoke most cars with a 2.7 ecoboost in F150 tune.

It isn’t the 60s or the 80s anymore. The tops on recent jeeps come off in several panels that a single person can manipulate and stack. I’m sure this will be similar. Tons of soft top options are available and are much better than they used to be as well. I’m sure those manufacturers will be tripping over themselves making them available for the bronco as well. About 1/10 jeeps I see are sporting the hard top, the vast majority have a soft top of some sort. It’s probably the #1 sales appeal to the cheerleaders and soccer moms who buy most of them.

What part of MO are you in that you're seeing that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks lifted a bit, taller and wider tires and rims, OR tread, gotta wonder what else Ford did that you can't see. Looks like very poor articulation suspension wise even if it's tweaked a bit.

Toyota would kill it IF they could find a way to import the Land Cruisers they sell to the rest of the world.
View Quote

LX 460
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I may buy one just to piss off all the naysayers here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bad as the Explorers, you mean the most popular #1 selling SUV in the country? I fucking swear people are such prima donnas that think Ford or whoever should build them one off custom vehicles to order and do it in two weeks for $25k or less.

Our 13 Explorer built in the spring of 2012 is the nicest car we have ever owned, it is loaded with options and safety equipment, fast, good mpg, quiet, handles great, and is capable of driving Alaska winters with typical highway tires, if anything it is a remarkable vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford badly botched the launch of the 6th gen Explorer. I'd say it probably had the worst launch of any vehicle I can think of in recent memory. Ford was shipping thousands of units directly from Chicago Assembly (where they're built) to Flat Rock Assembly for repairs. The fiasco torpedoed Ford's earning reports before COVID hit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hope it doesn't have a lame 270-285hp engine. This could be fucking amazing with 350hp.
View Quote
have you drove a 2.7 F150?

They are frigging fast as hell for a full size truck. That little motor is strong with amazing torque.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
this is gonna cut into the jeep market
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 3.5 EB.  It probably won't be an option though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Toyota's , my next vehicle will be a SUV and this thing is very tempting

Depends on what engine.  5.0 coyote...heck yeah. Only one of their eco-boost engines...hard pass.

thats retarded, unless you get an HO 3.5 the 2.7 is quicker in daily driving. Nothing against Coyotes but they are too wide to fit in smaller vehicles, and I would rather have the little turbos than a mile of timing chains
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
this, dont get me wrong. with a nice NA v6 or even a coyote v8 they could be legit if priced low enough. but none of that will happen. they will be under spec'd and over priced and will be just like the t-bird remake that didnt sell.
View Quote

Why would you want a gutless NA V6?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It isn't the 60s or the 80s anymore. The tops on recent jeeps come off in several panels that a single person can manipulate and stack. I'm sure this will be similar. Tons of soft top options are available and are much better than they used to be as well. I'm sure those manufacturers will be tripping over themselves making them available for the bronco as well. About 1/10 jeeps I see are sporting the hard top, the vast majority have a soft top of some sort. It's probably the #1 sales appeal to the cheerleaders and soccer moms who buy most of them.
View Quote
I don't see the appeal of removing my perfectly good hard top only to install a fucking tent where it used to be. I'm sure they're quiet and great when it snows two feet though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A modular top would be bad ass.  Sides that could come off would be nice.  When I had a soft top TJ I rarely took the top off.  Just the sides and the door sides.
View Quote

Thats how the spy photos released last fall showed the top, including the built in racks in the rear to store the pieces upright.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll give Ford a year or two to work the bugs out, then depending on reliabilty ratings, maybe buy one.
View Quote
ditto

also not gonna pay the scalper prices at the debut
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't see the appeal of removing my perfectly good hard top only to install a fucking tent where it used to be. I'm sure they're quiet and great when it snows two feet though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So buy one of the 5 dozen SUVs and CUVs without removable tops. The convertible top sells a fuckload more jeeps than the solid front axle does. Ford is wisely building this for that market.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should look at the context of my statement and our conversation and then calm down. I hate seeing these vehicles regularly go over $50,000 with the good engine and that’s a lot of money.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My jeep owning friends and co-workers (with both hard and soft tops) have all put up with leaks, wind noise, and getting caught topless at the wrong time.  Of course, sunroof leaks aren't unheard of either, but I'd avoid that too when possible.
Quoted:
My opinion: the removable roof is the single least desirable option ever in this class of vehicle. This is from the owner of a 74 and 84 K5 Blazer plus I rode around in 60s and 80s Broncos owned by friends many times. My high school GF had a 66 with a 289, by far the most wanted model for Bronco fans today. First thing is if you take the roof off you need someplace safe to put it, I recall one dumbass who got his top off and immediately backed over it. Also don't lose those bolts and trim pieces. Count on it raining as soon as you get 30 minutes from home. Riding in an open top Bronco or Blazer wasn't really pleasant, too cold and windy here, too hot and dirty in the desert.
Yep.  Leaks, hot summers, rainy winter/spring.  Might be nice while off-roading but I can't just "take the top off" in the middle of a week-long trip across CO or something like that.  Many more cons than pros, for me.  The balance may shift for people in different climates or who just don't mind dripping sweat on their way to the store or work or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ditto

also not gonna pay the scalper prices at the debut
View Quote

Agreed.  I'm betting they'll go over MSRP the first few months.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]
At 0.25,  it kind of looks like it has the system that the Land Cruiser has where you can lock the rear inboard tire on a turn allowing you to turn tighter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I call that a mild trail ride.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think there's exactly a 0% chance this "leaked" video isn't something officially sanctioned from Ford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3sH5YVhn4

About the source:

"Bronco Nation is an independent enthusiast community and the first to be nationally recognized and certified by Ford.

Built by a passionate and knowledgeable community of enthusiasts, Bronco Nation celebrates an iconic brand and encourages everyone that loves Bronco to join the nation. Exclusive news, community forums, events, interactive maps, helpful how-to content, and historical archives are just a few of the features that will inspire members to get the most out of their Bronco and their next adventure. Find information, find the wild, find a community of owners like you – find it first at Bronco Nation."

https://community.thebronconation.com/about/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L32P0L0zEY0

The Bronco was supposed to debut at NYIAS in April, but that whole COVID thing...

I'd guess it debuts in June.
View Quote

Should I be impressed by a redesigned Ford Escape driving through some puddles and mud?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
thats retarded, unless you get an HO 3.5 the 2.7 is quicker in daily driving. Nothing against Coyotes but they are too wide to fit in smaller vehicles, and I would rather have the little turbos than a mile of timing chains
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Toyota's , my next vehicle will be a SUV and this thing is very tempting

Depends on what engine.  5.0 coyote...heck yeah. Only one of their eco-boost engines...hard pass.

I think that's been debunked as "feeling" faster. The quarter mile tests i saw, show the 3.5 and 5.0 outrunning the 2.7.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ETA: I like your avatar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ETA: I like your avatar.

Quoted:
 High school buddy tried and tried, jim beam and black throated wind set the hook.

Uncle John's Band on AM radio when it first came out planted the seed. Side one "This Side" of Blues for Allah got me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Watch at the :27 second mark...

Tight left hand turn... front wheel is spinning while the rear wheel locks up  , interdasting....
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Watch at the :27 second mark...

Tight left hand turn... front wheel is spinning while the rear wheel locks up  , interdasting....
View Quote

I noticed it. Does that actually help when off road? I kind of think the last thing I want is for one of my wheels to stop turning if I am in difficult to traverse terrain. Am I wrong about that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think my wife is going to get one.
View Quote

Yeah, mine too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Should I be impressed by a redesigned Ford Escape driving through some puddles and mud?
View Quote

That isn't anything like an Escape....

Now the Bronco Sport on the other hand, IS based of the escape but that isn't this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I noticed it. Does that actually help when off road? I kind of think the last thing I want is for one of my wheels to stop turning if I am in difficult to traverse terrain. Am I wrong about that?
View Quote

Yes, you are wrong

It's a very popular mod done by offroaders (twin-stick transfer case), which cuts power going to the rear wheels and sends it all to the front.  This allows the driver to lock the rear brakes and use the front axle to pull the vehicle in a much tighter turning radius.  Competition trail rigs use it a lot because the courses get tighter and tighter, as the drivers are running against the clock.  Doing a 3+ point turn, or hitting a cone adds a lot of time to the clock...
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the new Bronco is going to be similar to the Mustang when it first came out.  It's going to be a chick magnet.  The girls will think they are 'cute', just sporty enough for them, and the top will come off so they can look sexy driving it too...
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, you are wrong

It's a very popular mod done by offroaders (twin-stick transfer case), which cuts power going to the rear wheels and sends it all to the front.  This allows the driver to lock the rear brakes and use the front axle to pull the vehicle in a much tighter turning radius.  Competition trail rigs use it a lot because the courses get tighter and tighter, as the drivers are running against the clock.  Doing a 3+ point turn, or hitting a cone adds a lot of time to the clock...
View Quote

Don’t forget cutting brakes
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I call that a mild trail ride.  
View Quote
I know people with worse driveways.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the new Bronco is going to be similar to the Mustang when it first came out.  It's going to be a chick magnet.  The girls will think they are 'cute', just sporty enough for them, and the top will come off so they can look sexy driving it too...
View Quote
Just like Wranglers?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Ford has made it official that the Bronco event will happen in July.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I already know I'm going to end up with one as my next company vehicle.

I'd like a 2dr. But I know I'm going to end up with a 4dr.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I already know I'm going to end up with one as my next company vehicle.

I'd like a 2dr. But I know I'm going to end up with a 4dr.
View Quote

Don’t you hate it when adulting gets in the way of fun
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Longer wheelbase = More fun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ford has made it official that the Bronco event will happen in July.
View Quote

Of what year?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I do get to pick the trim, I don't think I'll take a company vehicle seriously off roading.

But I've been told by my boss (my dad) that I'm getting a new bronco when they come out to replace my F150.  Because he loves broncos.

Whatever, free truck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#40]
What are those weird little accent pieces on the front of the hood? Why are there holes in them? Are they removeable?

ETA I had the displeasure to rent one of these the last time I was in Hawaii. Those bubbled out lights on each corner were annoying a F. Giant blind spots.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

While I do get to pick the trim, I don't think I'll take a company vehicle seriously off roading.

But I've been told by my boss (my dad) that I'm getting a new bronco when they come out to replace my F150.  Because he loves broncos.

Whatever, free truck.
View Quote

I’d use it to replace my paid low mile impreza for my commute to work. Never happen but that’s what I’d do.
Quoted:
What are those weird little accent pieces on the front of the hood? Why are there holes in them? Are they removeable?

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/bronc-1583933252.jpg?resize=768:*
View Quote

I seem to remember something about that’s what hold the good when folded all the way back but not sure. There was a bunch of discussion when the pics first came out and everyone was guessing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/bronc-1583933252.jpg?resize=768:*

ETA I had the displeasure to rent one of these the last time I was in Hawaii. Those bubbled out lights on each corner were annoying a F. Giant blind spots.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg/1200px-2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_88V-ip23gTg/SjGQiVKpm6I/AAAAAAAAAfQ/dE_izn7aat0/s400/horse-blinders.jpg
View Quote

Ya know, I'm not going to say the Juke is a great looking car or that those design elements didn't have an unnecessary effect like you described, but dammit if I didn't respect Nissan for at least putting out something that wasn't cookie cutter like everybody else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg/1200px-2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_88V-ip23gTg/SjGQiVKpm6I/AAAAAAAAAfQ/dE_izn7aat0/s400/horse-blinders.jpg
View Quote

I think they’re a place to tie limb risers. Pretty handy if so.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love the 3.5. But I think ford has a 3.0 (derived from the 2.7) that they're  going to use.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Worked for Ford for the past 2 years...

Bronco Nation is ran by Ford.  

/thread
View Quote

When is the dividend coming back?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LX 460
View Quote

Think you mean gx.

LX gets the 5.7 (570) but is LC 200 sized.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
this is gonna cut into the jeep market
View Quote

I concur. I'm a Toyota guy, was about to buy a used GX but put it off.

Want to at least see this thing first. I may buy one after the initial rush.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't be.

But this bronco looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a parts bin special. It really deserves a clean slate build for the price they will be charging.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would love the 3.5. But I think ford has a 3.0 (derived from the 2.7) that they're  going to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just assumed they would be the 2.3 at least as a base just like all the rangers.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top