Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2022 7:20:23 PM EDT
Drought is getting bad enough and with the fourth coming up thought might look these over and get a good one. Looked at ™Indian so far. Do they work for general containmemt of a 50-100 foot grass fire or what?
How are they on hot spots?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

You know how I know you don't know anything about fire pumps?

Never mind... I'm thinking one of these:

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/confused-britney-spears--83.gif

View Quote

Go on..
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
After catching a small section of my property on fire and seeing how slow the response from the VFD was I have been looking into them. A pressure washer will apparently work as a fire pump and does a decent job according to some I have talked to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Go on..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on..

See my edit above. I'm in the fire protection business so when I hear the term fire pump my mind immediately jumps to what I work with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes

Yeah, when I read fire pump I was like, the OP doesn't like his yard. Because a fire pump is going to tear it up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After catching a small section of my property on fire and seeing how slow the response from the VFD was I have been looking into them. A pressure washer will apparently work as a fire pump and does a decent job according to some I have talked to.
View Quote

I'm talking bout strapping on a 5 gal capacity one (backpack) and hauling ass to the problem if it's around my house. Savvy?
Maybe for use after the fire is out  except for hotspots and such. I own some property as well. About one thousand trees worth.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Diesel or electric?...
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Diesel or electric?...
View Quote

This man knows.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never mind... I'm thinking one of these:

View Quote

How many points are you monitoring on that skid? Looks like a single module in view on the back wall...
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Diesel or electric?...
View Quote

goddamn..
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
5 gallons won't put out a camp fire you will need quit a large tank for any sizable fire.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the day, CET pumps used to be the thing to use.. but it depends on what your water supply is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
What's your water source?  A pool, pond, stream, etc.  Or a well?  Municipal supply?  Do you have hose?  Garden hose or fire hose?

Anything is better than nothing.  I loved using Floto-pumps,  just a small 2 stroke engine with a pump mounted on a floating plastic platform.  Drop into a body of water, set and forget, just needs fuel.  

eta Oh hell, you mean a backpump?  Yeah they work well with a bit of training.  The old steel ones are uncomfortable, the newer soft vinyl ones are lighter.  I like them but they have their limitations.

LOL!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Commonly known as Indian pumps.

They are for what I would call hotspots.  Once a brush fire is really rolling they aren't enough.

Much bigger than a camp fire sized issue and you're gonna be wanting more
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How many points are you monitoring on that skid? Looks like a single module in view on the back wall...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If that is a module it could be just for fire pump running and power failure. But for the pump itself there's probably 8 or more points we're monitoring that report directly to the fire panel most of them are control valves. 2 bypass valves, pump suction, pump discharge, jockey pump suction and discharge valves, test header valve. But that's not counting anything else on it. Water flow switches, pressure switches, low air switches then whatever systems/sectionals they have downstream of that pump. Plus all the equipment they mightnhave before the pump.
Then there's all the mechanical things we have to look at, casing relief valves, packings,  oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, coolant levels, batteries.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I was hoping this was a Greek Fire thread…

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If that is a module it could be just for fire pump running and power failure. But for the pump itself there's probably 8 or more points we're monitoring that report directly to the fire panel most of them are control valves. 2 bypass valves, pump suction, pump discharge, jockey pump suction and discharge valves, test header valve. But that's not counting anything else on it. Water flow switches, pressure switches, low air switches then whatever systems/sectionals they have downstream of that pump. Plus all the equipment they mightnhave before the pump.
Then there's all the mechanical things we have to look at, casing relief valves, packings,  oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, coolant levels, batteries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like more than (10) points...

...whenever I run across a fire pump, I assume (10) monitor points and throw materials to cover that. Gets me close
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]
As was I....
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

...whenever I run across a fire pump, I assume (10) monitor points and throw materials to cover that. Gets me close
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's usually more than 10. I just did a job today with 190 points related to the fire pump and what's tied to it and they are still adding stuff to it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Drought is getting bad enough and with the fourth coming up thought might look these over and get a good one. Looked at ™Indian so far. Do they work for general containmemt of a 50-100 foot grass fire or what?
Thanks.
View Quote

@SAE

Do you have a UTV/ATV, https://www.qtacfire.com/utv-atv-skids
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]

As a sprinkler guy myself i thought the same thing

I see your nj, 696?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]
You may be better off getting some simple hand tools rather than lugging around one of those Indian tanks.  A hoe, mcleod tool, fire rake or fire swatter would potentially serve you better.  What’s the terrain?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I see your nj, 696?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see your nj, 696?

No, we're actually 102. Which makes no sense. Our fitters are 696. I'm on the inspection side.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm talking bout strapping on a 5 gal capacity one (backpack) and hauling ass to the problem if it's around my house. Savvy?
Maybe for use after the fire is out  except for hotspots and such. I own some property as well. About one thousand trees worth.
View Quote

Forestry Suppliers has what you need. I also purchased a hoe on the recommendation of the local forest service guys. They have a fire hoe with 3 teeth and is used for digging a fire break, I bought 2 of these. The forest service guys use a truck mounted gas engined water pump and carry a small tank and pump from any local creek or pond. I managed to have my fire out and was standing in the smoldering mess when the VFD arrived.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 10 gallon water tank with an electric pump on the back of my Honda Rancher 4 wheeler. We use it when we are burning pines. You would be surprised at how much it will do.

Just a little right ahead of the flames works great.

My neighbor uses a gas powered blower to control his fires. I was surprised at how good it worked. He would blow against the fire and stop it. Worked by taking the burning debris away from the flame.

Of course, neither of these will stop a raging inferno.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously you're thinking 5 gallons? If so I'd go with a personal size foam fire extinguisher or a few in a go bag like THIS. Costco has another brand in a smaller size twin pack for cheap. I have these things in every vehicle and all around my house in wall mounts around corners in closets. One can is like two large regular powder type extinguishers worth at least.

If you're talking water pump, I also have a wildland fire setup I built using a factory Honda high pressure pump with 2.5" hoses etc with enough power to knock my girlfriend on her ass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
get a couple 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguishers. refillable and what the pros use. Called a "can" (as in water can) by FF's.  With some practice you can put a lot of fire out or at least knock it down. When you fill it add a couple drop of liquid dish detergent to help the water penetrate (breaks the surface tension and helps the water extinguish)

Linky

ETA add a webbing strap through the loop hole on the can to aid in carrying it.

ETE #2

Fire Dept. House Fire Exterior Attack Using 1/2.5 Gal Extinguisher

Water Extinguisher Controls Room Fire

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Does a 100’ hose connected to the outlet side of my pool pump with 20,000 gallons of in-ground pool water count???
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Drought is getting bad enough and with the fourth coming up thought might look these over and get a good one. Looked at Indian so far. Do they work for general containmemt of a 50-100 foot grass fire or what?
Thanks.
View Quote
Have one but it's attached to a 1955 firetruck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#36]
This pump with some forestry line would put out a lot of grass fire if needed.

Anytime you buy a "fire pump" you are gonna pay more.  You will need a water supply, a pool, a tank, something.  Get some 1" to 1.5" line, a couple hundred feet or more.  Get a low pressure nozzle, 20-40 gallons per minute.  

You should be able to contain any grass fire that comes your way.

Heavy brush and wildland fires are a different nature.  I do not know your fuel load.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Indian pumps are good for hotspots and cold trailing. They’re useless for any kind of moving fire.

You’d be better off establishing a fuel break around your curtilage, screening off any roof and soffit vents and installing retardant shingles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

we use a similar pump with a 300gal tote on our brush truck. works well and may buy you enough time for the guys in the big red truck to get there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This pump with some forestry line would put out a lot of grass fire if needed.

Anytime you buy a "fire pump" you are gonna pay more.  You will need a water supply, a pool, a tank, something.  Get some 1" to 1.5" line, a couple hundred feet or more.  Get a low pressure nozzle, 20-40 gallons per minute.  

You should be able to contain any grass fire that comes your way.

Heavy brush and wildland fires are a different nature.  I do not know your fuel load.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00381T8J2

we use a similar pump with a 300gal tote on our brush truck. works well and may buy you enough time for the guys in the big red truck to get there.

IF/WHEN I buy land for retirement, still looking, I will probably put in a small pool for such reasons.  1" forestry line will do a hell of a lot preemptively.  And these pumps seem to work well enough.  You get a couple hundred feet of 1" and couple hundred of 1.5", as long as you don't have heavy brush you ought to be able to contain most stuff coming your way.  Or conversely keep your roof wet while it passes.  

Keep a large swathe mowed around your place as to not have as much to contend with.  I recommended this set up to several people in the old LivePD threads.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Your water supply will be your biggest issue.  Are you on city water? Do you have a pool or pond on your property?  How will you be able to transport it?

If what you referenced was an “Indian Tank”, or some other backpack pump, IME, they are useless.  Your better off with a brush rake.  If it’s a serious concern a 100 gallon tank and a small pump, even running a garden hose will help.  

If I had acreage where grass fire was a concern, I would go with one of two options.  First, assuming said acreage, I would have a tractor or four wheeler.  Set up a water tank and gas pump on a small trailer.  Option two is an old beater pickup with the same items in the bed.  It would provide space for a bigger water tank, that’s what’s really gonna help save you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

that would work well. just stockpile gas, these things are thirsty as hell running wide open.
View Quote
FACT!

Also......while wishing, building a house with brick veneer and clay tile or metal roof, you begin to fire proof your residence even more.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Please, in the name of all things holy, buy one of these and run around with it.  Video it.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Buried sprinker system and a rock break. You will need a water storage tank for insurance. Or get a truck and mount sprayers to the bumper and drive on the edge of the fire
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Please, in the name of all things holy, buy one of these and run around with it.  Video it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27564/4B594410-44E3-44C0-9041-2E627E26A57B_jpe-2434654.JPG
View Quote

ETA:

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27564/4B594410-44E3-44C0-9041-2E627E26A57B_jpe-2434654.JPG
View Quote
I FUCKING HATE THAT THING. Also hate grass paddles. The last few grass fires we used a tanker and a 1250 master stream on the truck and went to town
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I FUCKING HATE THAT THING. Also hate grass paddles. The last few grass fires we used a tanker and a 1250 master stream on the truck and went to town
View Quote

This guy gets it.  We would actually use a reducer and a 75 gpm nozzle on the deck gun so we could make the water last.  Even better was if a plug was close by.  Just flow copious amounts of water until we made a mud pit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:I'm talking bout strapping on a 5 gal capacity one (backpack) and hauling ass to the problem if it's around my house. Savvy?
View Quote
I used the Indian hand pumps in BOY Scout camp a lifetime ago. I was looking at buying one for my place because sometimes five gallons now beats the flying fuck out of five thousand gallons in an hour. They made quick work of tent and grass fires, but five gallons is five gallons. The Boy Scouts answer was more numbers. Ever pack had an Indian and every troop would respond to a call of fire so we'd have 15-20 of them in a minute or two. I think one would be ideal for responding to a lighting fire or a down power line. There's plenty of places that have ponds, rivers, or other standing water that the Indian can use.

What I think I really want is about 25-30 gallons on my ATV because sometimes 25 gallons delivered now beats an old fucker with a 5 gallon huff Indian huff hand pump huff huff cough ...

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#49]
As a Boy Scout I wondered how bad it would be to fill an Indian Pump with gasoline by mistake.

That thought just re-appeared ... off to YOUTUBE ...

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used the Indian hand pumps in BOY Scout camp a lifetime ago. I was looking at buying one for my place because sometimes five gallons now beats the flying fuck out of five thousand gallons in an hour. They made quick work of tent and grass fires, but five gallons is five gallons. The Boy Scouts answer was more numbers. Ever pack had an Indian and every troop would respond to a call of fire so we'd have 15-20 of them in a minute or two. I think one would be ideal for responding to a lighting fire or a down power line. There's plenty of places that have ponds, rivers, or other standing water that the Indian can use.

What I think I really want is about 25-30 gallons on my ATV because sometimes 25 gallons delivered now beats an old fucker with a 5 gallon huff Indian huff hand pump huff huff cough ...

View Quote

https://www.qtacfire.com/fire-utv-atv-skids/qtac-20s
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top