Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/16/2013 8:27:12 AM EDT
Well I need a Flashlight for camping in the desert, but don't know much about the good flashlight manufactures. I would like to not spend to much money, but understand the best tools cost $$$.

The only light I have that is at least 500 lumens is my Surefire Fury that is mounted on my carbine then next in line is a LED Lenser 160 Lumen.  I'd really like a 100 Lumen flashlight  but don't know here to start.

Any info on the flashlights is appreciated.

ETA: a good throw with wide spill/battery life would be perfect.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess GD is not a good place to ask this.lol

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
trustfire Cree c8 1000 lumen, best $20 you'll ever spend in flashlights.

thank me later
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

thank me later

lol 20 bucks. hhaha I'll check it out.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not another Fury?  I just picked up a EB1 that is also really nice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
ive been holding off buying a feniex for my lid at work.   they are fucking dumb stupid bright.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Jet beam raptor....
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why not another Fury?  I just picked up a EB1 that is also really nice.

Would like to have more battery life and at least 1000 lumens.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ive been holding off buying a feniex for my lid at work.   they are fucking dumb stupid bright.

Which model?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a fénix tk22

Max output 650lumens. Pretty nice light
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out 4Sevens.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I got one too recently.  Nice little bedside light.  Plus it's a nice "in between" since I have the PD32 and TK35.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Looks nice i'll check it out.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
The Fenix tk41 looks like the best bang for your buck deal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same here. Fenix E15 best EDC i came across so for.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you'd rather go the AA route, it does look like I nice light.  Everything I have uses CR123's or the rechargeable 18650s, so I like to keep everything the same.  Let us know how you like the TK41 if you end up going that route.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one of  these get two 18650 batteries and a charger never have worry about batteries again

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#18]
You can not go wrong with Fenix.

What type of a battery do you want to use?  AAA, AA, CR123

CR 123 will give you the best battery life and the best performance (It doesn't go dimmer as the battery runs down ...it stays bright right up to the end and then flickers before dying) but they are a bit more expensive.

Then pick your lumens.  Go a minimum of 200 with a two or three way dimming option on the light.  You do not need full power all the time and at the lowest power the batteries can last a long time.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a fact Jack -- try SF Discussions, and listen to BATMAN ACW and Skibane.

And be carefull, you'll put your eye out.  

ETA:  I EDC a Fenix
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which model?  

PD32.   740 sum lumens.   but what i like (need) is the lower profile and small optic on the lens.   cant be having spotlights hanging off my shit getting caught in walls and wires.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
nvm wrong light
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you'd rather go the AA route, it does look like I nice light.  Everything I have uses CR123's or the rechargeable 18650s, so I like to keep everything the same.  Let us know how you like the TK41 if you end up going that route.

I am now looking at the TK70.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#23]
OP

this is what im looking at for work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-PD32-UE-Ultimate-Edition-Cree-XM-L-T6-LED-740-lms-Flashlight-Diffuser-/140913558335?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20cf1a433f

and to put it in perspective.  buddy at the firehouse had to turn the light down (through the settings) bc its so bright and so white it reflects in a fire (smokey conditions ) and makes visibility more difficult      

i really wish there was more R&D in LED and lamp development for us FF's  streamlight put out a light that had a blue tinge to it and could cut through smoke very well.  unfortunately it wasnt very bright and the charge didnt last long

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have one of  these get two 18650 batteries and a charger never have worry about batteries again

Nice i'll check out klarus.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

CR 123 will give you the best battery life and the best performance (It doesn't go dimmer as the battery runs down ...it stays bright right up to the end and then flickers before dying) but they are a bit more expensive.

Then pick your lumens.  Go a minimum of 200 with a two or three way dimming option on the light.  You do not need full power all the time and at the lowest power the batteries can last a long time.

Battery type does not matter to me, but the quality of light, spill, throw, and battery life does.

thanks

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which model?  

PD32.   740 sum lumens.   but what i like (need) is the lower profile and small optic on the lens.   cant be having spotlights hanging off my shit getting caught in walls and wires.  

thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OP

this is what im looking at for work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-PD32-UE-Ultimate-Edition-Cree-XM-L-T6-LED-740-lms-Flashlight-Diffuser-/140913558335?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20cf1a433f

That is nice and battery life is not bad either.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I posted on candle power but no response yet.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

thank me later

$15 with amazon prime. One review indicated that some of he 18650 batteries stop working after 30 seconds or so on the highest setting. Anybody have a loud rechargeable battery recommendation?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#30]
My edc is a sunwayman v11r adjustable light from 10-500 lumen tail stand capable and forward clicky
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I needed a cheap light to use at work while I was in Fla. a month or two back.
i went to Walmart and picked up a Rayovac Sportsmen. $15 and came with batteries (3 AAA). 120 lumens on high, 19 lumens on low. 5 hour run time on high, 40 hours on low. Throws a good beam. and takes a beating. Advertised as being drop tested to 30 ft. I dropped mine from 12 ft onto a concrete floor and it still works like a champ.
I like it well enough, that I bought 4 of them.

Let the flames begin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What you said about the CR 123 type lights not dying till the end have me confused, cause the Sufire Fury I have dims after 1 hour then stays on for another hour then dies.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a Fenix TK40 ... Don't think they make that one anymore, but it's a great light. Has lasted for years with eneloops. I like their stuff. BRIGHT.
I like rechargable AAs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Fenix PD32, compact light with good power. Fenix are high quality lights.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#35]
All the lights you guys have recommend are nice, but would they be considered a torch light?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Jetbeam PA40 ...

Produces 468 lumens, with plenty of run-time from 4 ordinary AA cells (alkaline, lithium or NiMH rechargeable) - Costs 70 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Streamlight 4AA Lux

Should be able to find these online for <$40.  Very bright, decent battery life and uses AA batteries.  We use the heck out of these at work.  For the price, I haven't seen a brighter, more durable flashlight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my new favorite light
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jetbeam PA40 ...

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8510/jetbeampa402.jpg

Produces 468 lumens, with plenty of run-time from 4 ordinary AA cells (alkaline, lithium or NiMH rechargeable) - Costs 70 bucks.

This is another great light, but the button interface needs a little practice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]
check out budgetlightforum.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#41]
(Camping + desert) * needing a light = Kerosene lantern.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought a Surefire m952 off the EE, it's kind of on the big side, but the thing's nice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a Nitecore MT26 that aint too bad, although I suspect it isn't particularly durable, and I don't have any particular reason as to why.  It goes up to 600 lumens (I think?) I use rechargeable batteries in this one although cr123's are fine.

You should also check out 4sevens lights, I have a 2xAA light from them, but I wish I would have purchased a 2xcr123 light isntead. It's 200 lumens and pretty compact even for a 2xAA light.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you said about the CR 123 type lights not dying till the end have me confused, cause the Sufire Fury I have dims after 1 hour then stays on for another hour then dies.

The type of battery that you have in your flashlight is one of the most important factors to consider for many different reasons.

If your life may be dependent on whether or not your flash light works then you should strongly consider a flashlight that uses lithium CR123 batteries.

The life of one of these batteries in a high lumen flashlight may be double that of a standard alkaline AA battery.  A CR123 Lithium will also provide virtually full power/lumen right up to the point that the battery dies .......versus an Alkaline AA becoming dimmer and dimmer over the last so many hours that the battery dies.

The only downside to CR123 batteries is that they are not available for sell everywhere that other batteries are sold......but you should buy your batteries over the net anyway to get your best price.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The type of battery that you have in your flashlight is one of the most important factors to consider for many different reasons.

If your life may be dependent on whether or not your flash light works then you should strongly consider a flashlight that uses lithium CR123 batteries.

The life of one of these batteries in a high lumen flashlight may be double that of a standard alkaline AA battery.  A CR123 Lithium will also provide virtually full power/lumen right up to the point that the battery dies .......versus an Alkaline AA becoming dimmer and dimmer over the last so many hours that the battery dies.

The only downside to CR123 batteries is that they are not available for sell everywhere that other batteries are sold......but you should buy your batteries over the net anyway to get your best price.

Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=171

Fenix TK35. I have one. It's a great light. 860 lumens max. The 860 compares with a high beam headlight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I have this light and really love it!

Only down side is the only mode that works with the 14500 battery is high output. But if you're looking or a wicked bright single cell battery that can run on AA or 14500... Hard to beat!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UM, wat? totally not the case. you should really do more reading before posting old info. how the the light works depends on the circuitry inside it. some lights are "direct drive" and NO MATTER which type cell it uses it will diminish in brightness as the batteries get weaker. then there are "regulated circuits" these lights will keep a constant level of brightness until the battery hits the lowest voltage the circuitry is designed to work at. 123A's provide no more or less light in a regulated light than a AA battery.

OP if you really want light output look into 18650 powered lights. be warned, in order to get higher output and longer battery life you will have to have a flashlight that is pretty big. high output comes with the cost of shorter run times. the key is to find where they equal out in light output, size, and battery life.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#50]
make sure to get a $5 UV flashlight from dealextreme so you can check your boots for scorpions at night
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top