Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I certainly think the state of New York falls in the category of something that should be excised from our culture.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Face it, the rectangular battle flag has been taken over by the White Power movement since the 1950's.

Kids were dumb and deserved an expulsion.
View Quote

Dumb? Yes. Expulsion? No.

Kids being dopey kids shouldn't even rate news coverage.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Regardless of the history of the flag, this was most likely trying to taunt any black students.

Thank God they showed "heroic restraint".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would any real American want to display the flag of traitors that engaged in human trafficking and killed US Army soldiers?

Flying the Confederate battle flag is no different than flying the flag of Al Qaeda. Maybe worse, because the body count is bigger for the Confederates.

The American soldiers that these traitorous Confederates killed were good, patriotic American men from states like New York and Pennsylvania. THEY WERE REAL PEOPLE.  They had families and they had better things to do, but they answered the call of their country and the only reason we are here today is because of the extreme sacrifices these men made. When you fly the Confederate battle flag you piss on the graves of these heroes.
View Quote

Interesting that if you replace "US" with "Great Britian", we would be the traitors that engaged in killing good, patriotic soldiers who left their families and homes to answer the call of their country and we are pissing on their graves by flying the Stars and Stripes.

If you want to say the South was wrong for supporting slavery, that's fine.  Picking sides over moral causes is legitimate.  But limit your post to that.  Blast the rebels for being pro-slavery.

But acting like there is something inherently wrong with being a traitor or taking up arms in the cause of independence is short-sighted if not outright hypocritical.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Regardless of the history of the flag, this was most likely trying to taunt any black students.

Thank God they showed "heroic restraint".
View Quote
Certainly, had they not, excuses would have been made for their behavior.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kid should have used this flag. They never would have known.

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/hwj_chim/media/800px-CSA_FLAG_431861-2151861svg_zps656b6fd5.png.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q197/hwj_chim/800px-CSA_FLAG_431861-2151861svg_zps656b6fd5.png</a>
View Quote

Yep. Georgia's new flag, only with a state seal in the center of the stars. They got away from the old flag, which had stars and bars on it, because it was a confederate flag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am honestly surprised at the reaction here, I thought that since this place has so many veterans and so many people that support our military that maybe more than just me would have a problem with Americans displaying the flag of a treasonous rebellion against our country that resulted in the death of around a half-million people .

I’m not trying to argue the political and social causes of the civil war. There are volumes and volumes of books on the topic if that is your interest.

I’m just pointing out some uncomfortable facts;
1. The people that flew the Confederate battle flag took up arms against OUR country.
2.They killed soldiers of the exact same US Army that exists today.  
3.Regular patriotic Americans and immigrants volunteered and were forced into service to put down this violent rebellion, many died heroically in the process, leaving families and loved ones behind.

I think that ANY discussion of this flag should start with recognizing this reality out of respect, if not basic human decency.

Displaying the Confederate battle flag is spitting  right in the faces of the heroes and the widows and the orphans created by the TRAITORS that flew that abhorrent flag. It is disrespecting our nation and our military. I’d expect better from this place.
View Quote

Maybe you should move back to New York City, where you can comfortably lock step with the latest politically correct lines of thought.

Oh, and:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am honestly surprised at the reaction here, I thought that since this place has so many veterans and so many people that support our military that maybe more than just me would have a problem with Americans displaying the flag of a treasonous rebellion against our country that resulted in the death of around a half-million people .

I’m not trying to argue the political and social causes of the civil war. There are volumes and volumes of books on the topic if that is your interest.

1. The people that flew the Confederate battle flag took up arms against OUR country.
3.Regular patriotic Americans and immigrants volunteered and were forced into service to put down this violent rebellion, many died heroically in the process, leaving families and loved ones behind.

I think that ANY discussion of this flag should start with recognizing this reality out of respect, if not basic human decency.

Displaying the Confederate battle flag is spitting  right in the faces of the heroes and the widows and the orphans created by the TRAITORS that flew that abhorrent flag. It is disrespecting our nation and our military. I’d expect better from this place.
View Quote

Nope, you are in on the blatant hypocrisy.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have no idea what you're talking about. You are also a good example of what is wrong with Florida. I would bet Carpetbagger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why would any real American want to display the flag of traitors that engaged in human trafficking and killed US Army soldiers?

Flying the Confederate battle flag is no different than flying the flag of Al Qaeda. Maybe worse, because the body count is bigger for the Confederates.

The American soldiers that these traitorous Confederates killed were good, patriotic American men from states like New York and Pennsylvania. THEY WERE REAL PEOPLE.  They had families and they had better things to do, but they answered the call of their country and the only reason we are here today is because of the extreme sacrifices these men made. When you fly the Confederate battle flag you piss on the graves of these heroes.
View Quote

yes real people right off the boat and straight to the battle field.  Real people that didn't want to fight.  Real people that were forced to fight due to the draft that lincoln enacted for the first time in US history.

lincoln was a coward and a poor leader.  He couldn't convenience people to fight instead he had to do it by force.  He didn't show up to the appomattox court house instead he went to go see a play, and the rest is history....

Worst fucking president we've ever had.  Obama is a very close second.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Based on my limited interaction with Long Islanders I would guess the flag was not brought to school to represent state's rights, I can almost guarantee it was meant as a racist dig at black students  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I certainly think this particular symbol of hate falls in the category of something that should be excised from our culture,"

http://www.ny.gov/images/lovenylogo.jpg
Based on my limited interaction with Long Islanders I would guess the flag was not brought to school to represent state's rights, I can almost guarantee it was meant as a racist dig at black students  

Assholes have freedom of speech, too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If by here you mean living with Obama (who says he most admires Lincoln, the president that these men fought for, and the one he tries to fashion himsel after), then I for one wouldn't mind if I could go back in time and give them each a good swift kick in the nuts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The flag was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle, it became a sign of racism when people made it a sign, starting in the 50's and followed through the sixties AND THAT HATRED, NOT THE HISTORY IS WHAT WAS TAUGHT TO THE CHILDREN in school

so 150 years ago, when the northern aggressors wanted to kill, burn and take my family off our land...then yes they can go fuck them selves and we rose up and fought them....what would you of done?

remember there was no internet or phones and people rode horses or walked for days and weeks to get news....all you saw was hate from the north coming into your town or city, they had no regard for civilians vs soldiers either they just destroyed everything you worked hard for

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flag was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle, it became a sign of racism when people made it a sign, starting in the 50's and followed through the sixties AND THAT HATRED, NOT THE HISTORY IS WHAT WAS TAUGHT TO THE CHILDREN in school

so 150 years ago, when the northern aggressors wanted to kill, burn and take my family off our land...then yes they can go fuck them selves and we rose up and fought them....what would you of done?

remember there was no internet or phones and people rode horses or walked for days and weeks to get news....all you saw was hate from the north coming into your town or city, they had no regard for civilians vs soldiers either they just destroyed everything you worked hard for

Don't let his hypocrisy cause you to get irrational.  It isn't exactly like the South was just sitting around minding their own business when Sherman showed up in a Pearl Harbor type sneak attack.  There's the whole Fort Sumpter issue and the firing on the Star of the West on its way to Fort Sumpter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Sign of the times.  Half the black guys at our high school had rebel flags on their trucks, cars, and shirts. 1980s.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If by here you mean living with Obama (who says he most admires Lincoln, the president that these men fought for, and the one he tries to fashion himsel after), then I for one wouldn't mind if I could go back in time and give them each a good swift kick in the nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to kick my dead relatives in the nuts
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]
According to afrcom logic they deserved to have their asses kicked and be expelled for doing something they knew was out of the ordinary and disruptive to others.

Oh, and thank God for General Sherman.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes it was, in some instances.  There are some well-documented cases of Confederate soldiers, flying their battle flags, engaging in racial atrocities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The flag was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle....

Yes it was, in some instances.  There are some well-documented cases of Confederate soldiers, flying their battle flags, engaging in racial atrocities.

Never is a dangerous word.  But there have also been atrocities committed under our nation's flag.  What do the indigenous tribes of the American West think our flag symbolizes?  What does our flag mean to the survivors of My Lai?

So then the general point that the Confederate battle flag does not represent racism is a fair point to make...what it means is subjective.  Where we get sideways in our thinking is that whatever "I" think it represents is what everyone else should think it represents.

Maybe I am crazy, but I tend to try and view a flag that someone else flies in light of the reason why THEY cling to it rather than to assume that their interpretation of that symbol is the same as mine.  Similarly, if I cling to a symbol, I would hope that people would consider what that symbol represents to me, since I am the one waiving it around.

Symbols, by their nature, have a measure of ambiguity that makes speech much more precise and accurate in comparison.  And how often do we misunderstand what people are trying to say when they speak?

So I don't get too bent on symbols of any sort.  If you want to take issue with someone's use of a symbol, why not engage them in conversation first and determine why they use that symbol?

I go into some of the local hispanic groceries and eateries.  I don't freak out and assume that a Mexican flag on display means they are La Raza agitators intent on reclaiming California as Mexican territory.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have exceeded your daily post count allowance. Please close browser, shut off computer, and facepuncher yourself until further notice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't think those kids were celebrating their Southern heritage. They interpreted a symbol of southern heritage as a symbol of hatred and racial intolerance, a mistake made by many, and using it as a figurative slap in the face to their classmates. And in so doing, they also served up an insult to Southerners by co-opting a symbol of Southern heritage and reducing it to a nothing more than an hateful racial insult.

They insulted both blacks and Southerners, and I can't blame the school for kicking them out. I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.
View Quote

They are kids. They only reason they interpret that flag as nothing but a symbol of hatred and intolerance is because they were mistakenly taught to by their elders, who apparently flip out and scream racism at the mere sight of it. Those same elders decided to feed the flames and expel the students for using the mistakes they were taught in an inappropriate way.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Face it, the rectangular battle flag has been taken over by the White Power movement since the 1950's.

Kids were dumb and deserved an expulsion.
View Quote

But the closet 88'ers around here will keep right on crying about 'heritage' and 'state's rights' for several pages attempting to defend these kids..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of deference to a fellow member I'll let you pick if I kick your relatives or mine first
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wait, I'm confused, a private business (school) can violate someone free speech but a private business (bakery) can't not bake a cake for homos?  
View Quote

You have an excellent point.

I guess some people's "rights" are more equal than those of others.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't think those kids were celebrating their Southern heritage. They interpreted a symbol of southern heritage as a symbol of hatred and racial intolerance, a mistake made by many, and using it as a figurative slap in the face to their classmates. And in so doing, they also served up an insult to Southerners by co-opting a symbol of Southern heritage and reducing it to a nothing more than an hateful racial insult.

They insulted both blacks and Southerners, and I can't blame the school for kicking them out. I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.

View Quote

this is the first real note worthy post I've seen in defense of the school.....

as someone who has lived down south my whole life I think the flag means something completely different to us than it does to northerners.  How it's taught in schools also differs.  My question would be, where are these kids from?  If they've grown up in the north their entire life then they've been conditioned to the belief that the flag is a neo-Nazi bigoted symbol and nothing else.  If this is the case then I side with the schools ruling.

The real problem here is how this symbol is taught in schools.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is documentation of Union forces using captured/confiscated slaves (not freed slaves, but slaves that were removed from plantations similar to how horses were confiscated from plantations) to build Union fortifications in Tennessee.  I seem to recall reading about letters that a Union soldier wrote, where he described Union troops target practicing by shooting at the heads of slaves who fell behind during river crossings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The flag was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle....

There is documentation of Union forces using captured/confiscated slaves (not freed slaves, but slaves that were removed from plantations similar to how horses were confiscated from plantations) to build Union fortifications in Tennessee.  I seem to recall reading about letters that a Union soldier wrote, where he described Union troops target practicing by shooting at the heads of slaves who fell behind during river crossings.

Okay, but what does that have to do with bansil's claim that the Confederate Battle Flag "was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle," or my clarification that the Confederate flag indeed had flown over instances of racial atrocities?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should embrace your screen name and go punch yourself in the face.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If they suspended kids for doing that where I live, 3/4 of the school would be suspended at any given moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If they suspended kids for doing that where I live, 3/4 of the school would be suspended at any given moment.

Same goes for Florida..
In fact, somewhere on I75 there's a huge confederate flag atop a 250 pole..

Quoted:
Quoted:

You should embrace your screen name and go punch yourself in the face.

This. Do it you damn Carpetbagger!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://pix11.com/2014/04/16/4-li-students-expelled-for-wearing-blackface-confederate-flag/#axzz2z5v3Jon0

Two senior females were also expelled at the school; however, for a black face incident. It seems the principal is trying to deescalate an unknown situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they sue the school for violating their first amendment rights.
Private school  

http://pix11.com/2014/04/16/4-li-students-expelled-for-wearing-blackface-confederate-flag/#axzz2z5v3Jon0

Two senior females were also expelled at the school; however, for a black face incident. It seems the principal is trying to deescalate an unknown situation.

Yeah, probably one side got tired of the other side being able to put all their propaganda out there, but not being able to do same.

This whole thing smells like Affirmative Action to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#30]
This thread has now gone like the typical North vs. South, Civil War, War of North Aggression, and Stars & Bars discussion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I certainly think this particular symbol of hate falls in the category of something that should be excised from our culture,"

http://www.ny.gov/images/lovenylogo.jpg

But you can deny service for other things, like not liking the guy's confederate flag shirt?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#32]
New York.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I love the CF but I hate it when people use it to stir shit up. Those douches were certainly using it as a hate symbol, and that's not cool with me. It's disrespectful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Okay, but what does that have to do with bansil's claim that the Confederate Battle Flag "was never a show of racism while it was being flown proudly in battle," or my clarification that the Confederate flag indeed had flown over instances of racial atrocities?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Union troops were flying the US flag, while they rounded up (confiscated) slaves and forced them to build various fortifications to use against the Confederate forces.  There's an old fort on a hill south of downtown Nashville.  As I recall, one of the plaques at that fort mentions how many slaves died during the construction of that fort.

Does that make the US flag a symbol of racism?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I guess using your argument the American flag shouldn't be allowed in England?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This thread has now gone like the typical North vs. South, Civil War, War of North Aggression, and Stars & Bars discussion.
View Quote

No other possibly outcome, considering the abysmal understanding of history that most people seem to have these days.

I honestly could care less about people "flying the flag of a treasonous rebellion, blah blah blah".   On the other hand, I have no use whatsoever for Confederate apologists, either.    Anyone who thinks the secession would have occurred absent the question of slavery is deluding themselves.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/15/l-i-high-school-students-suspended-for-displaying-confederate-flag/

The students were initially suspended for 10 days, but Cregan decided Tuesday they won’t be allowed back, Brown reported.

View Quote

Another wildly liberal Catholic priest ala Michael Pfleger.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Kid should show back up with this t-shirt:

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#41]
parent JuJu Quinnonez
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I say expel 'em.

And anyone who flies or wears any depiction of Old Glory on Cinco de Mayo.

'cause you just know they're stirring up a big ol' pot of shit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top