BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When the kids entered the school system they weren't grades behind. At some point their school and teachers failed them. Not holding teachers to account is how later grades of teachers are put into this position. Clearly, not holding teachers accountable isn't working.
View Quote

How do teach someone that refuses instruction?  

Education is a buffet, nobody can make you eat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Try reading the 2nd book in lewis's space trilogy.

The sentences are complete and coherent... and you have NO idea what is going on.
View Quote

Perelandra, I need to revisit that.  I love those books.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No.  Burr is a hero for his actions against Hamilton.  I teach that portion of our history with a favorable lean towards the Anti-Federalists, with a nudge that some of the Federalist ideas were not ideal, but necessary for a functioning federalist republic.

I’m much more subtle in my nationalism, more of what made America great and how we need to get back to it.  Heavy on Western Civ and what made us so successful over the centuries and how America was the natural heir to that greatness.  Let’s not squander it.
View Quote

Fuck Hamilton the Rothschild dog!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a lack of expectations and accountability at home from parents.  Then when schools try to hold students accountable and to expectations, said parents throw a shit fit for being mean and cruel to their precious Littles.

I'm a teacher and I have kids with several Fs right now.  The school already took away their privilege to play sports.  Yet every day, without fail, there they are talking to their friends about how they played Fortnite or stayed up until 1 AM on snap chat or tik tok.  If I had Fs as a kid my playstation would never be seen again.  

Until measures are put in place to either hold parents just as accountable as their children for their education or force parents to do so, this problem will not get better.
View Quote

Yeah it's sad that taking sports away from them doesn't move the needle, but even more sad that they remove themselves from sports.  I have kids that tell me their dream is to play college or NBA basketball or to be in the NFL, but when they hit a small obstacle they're like, "Fuck that, that's hard I'm out!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
No one will read this cause it’s 7 pages in, I got to work with a coworkers sister 1on 1 Friday. In the past 8 years every high school kid we hire is useless. Yup my bay neighbor and myself are the shop assholes . It was vaca week and she’s been here all week I agreed to take her on Friday after watching her work the rest of the week. I was genuinely surprised and it brought me back to my younger days. She wanted to work and had no problem giving me back just enough attitude. She doesn’t understand yet what our respect for her means  but she will, there’s still good ones out there …
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Parents, yeah right, most are raised by the "mother", the father has been excluded by court order.
View Quote

I'm not even fucking around when I say that probably 30% of my students are being raised by a grandmother, or a great grandmother.  It's surreal when you call to speak to a guardian about a kid and it's the great grandmother.  I say I have two guardians here, is this so and so?  They reply, not that's his grandmas, she's a basically a fuck up, I'm the one raising so and so.  The grandma is a fuck up?  It's bizarre.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It isn't just public schools either, I know a lot of private school kids through my kid's ECs and they're sometimes YEARS behind and the parents brag about how good their grades are, grade inflation at privates is worse than publics, the schools have perverse financial incentives.
View Quote

Friends sent their daughter to our very good waiting list local private Catholic school. Was told they were doing great, no worries. Passing grades for everything.

Mom started to get concerned during 2nd grade, as while interacting with the kid at home she started to notice some issues. So she ran her through an online reading evaluation test.

Kid could barely read. Not only that, she was actually dyslexic. Two years of teachers just, I guess, hadn't noticed when sending home all those good grades. And they were paying a lot for it too.

She yanked her out and is homeschooling.

Other friends of ours are also pulling their kids out to homeschool, and they're both teachers. The mom even used to teach at that school. My buddy said, "I'm not sure what I'm actually getting for the $14k a year I'm paying."

A private school is no guarantee of quality. And they get their teachers from the same undergrad teaching programs as anybody else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.  A lot of these kids indeed are behind the moment they enter school.  They’ve never been read to, they’re socially dysfunctional, medicated, been raised by screens and never disciplined even at 5 years old.  They’re unable to be taught in this state until they’ve been deprogrammed.  

The kids that have been raised by responsible parents are indeed light years ahead even in kindergarten.

Like it or not, the first and most important educator in a kids life is their parents.  Adults who ignore this responsibility are the number one reason these kids are the way they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the kids entered the school system they weren't grades behind. At some point their school and teachers failed them. Not holding teachers to account is how later grades of teachers are put into this position. Clearly, not holding teachers accountable isn't working.

Yeah, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.  A lot of these kids indeed are behind the moment they enter school.  They’ve never been read to, they’re socially dysfunctional, medicated, been raised by screens and never disciplined even at 5 years old.  They’re unable to be taught in this state until they’ve been deprogrammed.  

The kids that have been raised by responsible parents are indeed light years ahead even in kindergarten.

Like it or not, the first and most important educator in a kids life is their parents.  Adults who ignore this responsibility are the number one reason these kids are the way they are.

One of the major problems with this is that those kids are going to drag the other kids down with them. Especially the borderline kids.

My mom's a private HS teacher and says the major advantage they have over the publics is they can expel a kid. Heard stories about a kid breaking a rule, their parents being called, and the principal handing the kids to their parents at the door with a "they're not coming back tomorrow". Then the next family on the waitlist is called.

They're still having 'learning' problems though, even with the discipline problems gone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What portion of your students would you say are negatively effected by their parenting?
View Quote

You didn't ask me, but in my district I would say about 70%.  Many of them don't even really know what parents are.  If their mom is fucking some guy for a couple of months, then that's their dad. They get all upset when that dad leaves, and then there's a new dad, who most likely is a piece of shit.  Many have 4-5 step siblings and can't keep track of who the biological parent is for each one. I just had a great student leave the district to go live with his chicano gang banger felon father.  Why, because his mom is shacked up with a registered sex offender who plays video games all day and cusses him.  Great.  These kids parents walk through life with their dicks out like animals, just trying to party and get laid.  It's gross.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a thing. People talk like interacting with phones will make kids tech wizards. It’s actually making them dumb beyond belief. Two years ago I was working on an exam review packet with a group of 8th graders. I told them they could look up the definitions for the vocabulary section on their phones. 4 classes and not a one knew where the browser on their phone was. If it’s not social media or games they don’t know about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not even           around when I say that probably 30% of my students are being raised by a grandmother, or a great grandmother.  It's surreal when you call to speak to a guardian about a kid and it's the great grandmother.  I say I have two guardians here, is this so and so?  They reply, not that's his grandmas, she's a basically a             up, I'm the one raising so and so.  The grandma is a            up?  It's bizarre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parents, yeah right, most are raised by the "mother", the father has been excluded by court order.

I'm not even           around when I say that probably 30% of my students are being raised by a grandmother, or a great grandmother.  It's surreal when you call to speak to a guardian about a kid and it's the great grandmother.  I say I have two guardians here, is this so and so?  They reply, not that's his grandmas, she's a basically a             up, I'm the one raising so and so.  The grandma is a            up?  It's bizarre.

That's more common than probably even you think it is.

Also, grandma is probably in her 40s, 50s at the latest. When you start really young the generations get in there quickly.

In some places we have had adult children having and raising children for multiple generations now. (constant downgrade, lord of the flies, etc.)

People don't think that welfare, low expecations, and victim culture is infantalizing. No, it really is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is a thing. People talk like interacting with phones will make kids tech wizards. It’s actually making them dumb beyond belief. Two years ago I was working on an exam review packet with a group of 8th graders. I told them they could look up the definitions for the vocabulary section on their phones. 4 classes and not a one knew where the browser on their phone was. If it’s not social media or games they don’t know about it.
View Quote

You have to be a person who can think about systems and how they interact with each other to really be a tech wizard.

Using tech does not teach you that. If anything, the guis and such on those systems are so dumbed down that they don't make you have to think to use them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Private HS teacher here, finishing up 20+ years this spring.   Apathy, little to no effort, and addiction to phones seems to be the culture everywhere, and our school is no different.

Very happy to be moving on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
At this point, you have to ration compassion to the people you know in your own life.

I refuse to care more about other people's kids than their own parents do.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No one will read this cause it’s 7 pages in, I got to work with a coworkers sister 1on 1 Friday. In the past 8 years every high school kid we hire is useless. Yup my bay neighbor and myself are the shop assholes . It was vaca week and she’s been here all week I agreed to take her on Friday after watching her work the rest of the week. I was genuinely surprised and it brought me back to my younger days. She wanted to work and had no problem giving me back just enough attitude. She doesn’t understand yet what our respect for her means  but she will, there’s still good ones out there …
View Quote

I teach 160-190 kids a year.  Each year I find 3-5 that I might hire to do something of consequences and about 10 that might eventually go beyond fast food.   The majority I wouldn't trust with fast food.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am absolutely the very last person you want to listen to on this as any sort of expert.

Check out saxon math. See what you think about it for yourself.

Ask others who know math and teaching math about it.
View Quote

What's the deal with Saxon math? That's what my kid's school is using, and I go through every assignment with him, giving him a grade on it, then going through corrections on everything he got wrong, making him rework the problem.

It doesn't seem too out there...
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can’t do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree
View Quote

Very convincing.  Your grammar sucks, too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Raised on cell phones... most have the attention span and critical thinking skills of a gnat.
View Quote
Who and what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
sounds like federalized education was a mistake to me.  No Child Left Behind is a perfect example of why "bipartisan" and RINO's are usually bad for the country
View Quote
Maybe I am a victim of Federalized education but aren't you supposed to capitalize the first words of a sentence and use punctuation?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Other things I noticed about 15-18 year olds:

-almost all of them have zero idea how our government works. They think the President is THE power in the government and the SCOUTS has no right to strike down laws.

-no sense of cause/effect/consequences. Nor any sense of time/planning at all.

I think the plan of creating stupid masses that need to be led and taken care of is working. Of course, the Elite's children will have top level education.
View Quote
They sound like your average Republican voter.  Have you talked to any Trump supporters and heard what they think Trump is going to do should he become POTUS again?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's 100% parenting.  Kids learn most things at home and then fill in some gaps at school.  

It's amazing what kids can do when you give them that individual attention as a parent.  Read to your kids, do math with your kids, do sports with your kids.  They are just little sponges at that age and can learn virtually anything if you have the patience to teach them.  

I think my kids have been read to 99% of the nights of their lives at this point (5 and 7) with only a few rare nights where we skip it.  Not a surprise that they both test in the 90th percentile or higher on everything.

That works for anything, not just reading, writing, and math.  There's some kids out there with incredible talents and behind every one of them is a patient parent that put in the work.
View Quote

Not 100%
We have two kids.
One is barely passing all his classes.
The other is so advanced he could probably skip 2 grades.

Which one of our kids do you think gets the most attention? The first one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would certainly forgive their student loans for college. They deserve it.
View Quote

Okay, so a sub par performance warrants a free ride at everyone else's expense? Then, they end up in charge because degree'd?

Not a good idea. College used to be extremely selective because of this. You were required to meet the entrance scores in order to attend. Letting someone go to school because feels, abd then paying for the ride because feels is the quickest way down the path of no return.

Then again, look at GD alone. I do not see many people who are illiterate here on this board. IDK how much of this is actually bs. Out of everyone I know, I only know one who is illiterate and he's a special person.

They're not stupid; they're being lazy, or maybe they are on dope.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay, so a sub par performance warrants a free ride at everyone else's expense? Then, they end up in charge because degree'd?

Not a good idea. College used to be extremely selective because of this. You were required to meet the entrance scores in order to attend. Letting someone go to school because feels, abd then paying for the ride because feels is the quickest way down the path of no return.

Then again, look at GD alone. I do not see many people who are illiterate here on this board. IDK how much of this is actually bs. Out of everyone I know, I only know one who is illiterate and he's a special person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would certainly forgive their student loans for college. They deserve it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Illiterate people don't hang out on message boards, but even so, the level of reading comprehension displayed here is terrifying.

There's a huge chunk of the population that gets through life at a third-grade reading level, and it's always been that way.

If you look at the average SAT scores of HS seniors (around 1050) they could be posted by a bright 5th grader. That hasn't changed much either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In what field of study is your Master's degree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree
In what field of study is your Master's degree?

Sarcasm
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's not allowed anymore.

Wife's cousin was "passed through" high school and probably fits all the OP categories. She just didn't get a diploma at the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe that teacher needs to fail her students from attending the next grade
That's not allowed anymore.

Wife's cousin was "passed through" high school and probably fits all the OP categories. She just didn't get a diploma at the end.

now doing Onlyfans
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't have any good links at the moment and have a meeting shortly, but the overwhelming issue is this:

Common Core math was developed to try to teach "concepts" instead of simply methods and processes.  Remember how in early elementary school they'd teach you a number line and you jump forward on it to represent adding?  That's a good example of what Common Core does, but then they go off the deep end with the visuals.

They mercilessly have the kids "circle the number of frogs in this pond" that represent something else.  They have them do stupid diagrams, pictures, and nonsense, usually followed up with a final question, "and what core concept does this represent?"

I helped my friend's 4th grader with math last year and I wanted to tear the paper up.  NOT A SINGLE ITEM IN HER RESOURCES JUST HAD AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO DO SOMETHING AND THEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO IT YOURSELF.

Every math textbook I saw growing up started a chapter with the "how the fuck you do this" page, followed by repetitious samples that you do yourself, with the answers in the back of the book.  Common Core is might work for the top 10% of performers, but the troubled students are left in the dust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Common Core is the root of the failure.

I understand Common Core math is functionally correct.  If I have one more snobby cunt say "you don't like it because you don't understand it," I'm going to break their jaw.

It's a terrible way to teach math.  The old way of teaching put men on the goddamn moon.  The current generation can't tell time without Siri.

Full disclosure: I have a Masters in Education.  Fight me.  
If you are inclined to elaborate on this or link to some good material, there are likely many here that would appreciate an accurate understanding of the new math concepts.

I don't have any good links at the moment and have a meeting shortly, but the overwhelming issue is this:

Common Core math was developed to try to teach "concepts" instead of simply methods and processes.  Remember how in early elementary school they'd teach you a number line and you jump forward on it to represent adding?  That's a good example of what Common Core does, but then they go off the deep end with the visuals.

They mercilessly have the kids "circle the number of frogs in this pond" that represent something else.  They have them do stupid diagrams, pictures, and nonsense, usually followed up with a final question, "and what core concept does this represent?"

I helped my friend's 4th grader with math last year and I wanted to tear the paper up.  NOT A SINGLE ITEM IN HER RESOURCES JUST HAD AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO DO SOMETHING AND THEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO IT YOURSELF.

Every math textbook I saw growing up started a chapter with the "how the fuck you do this" page, followed by repetitious samples that you do yourself, with the answers in the back of the book.  Common Core is might work for the top 10% of performers, but the troubled students are left in the dust.

Phenomenal way to take away all creativity of thought out of solving math problems. Seeing 3x8 and finding ways to put that together in your brain is how you learn math. It’s how you develop critical thinking skills.

Making the class about “did you learn it the way we wanted you too”

Is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Great way to make kids absolute luddites and kill any love they could have had for math and geometry.

Far fucking cunts leave kids alone. Lets them fucking learn. Someone having questions and going home thinking it out is how you have to learn how to learn.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Friends sent their daughter to our very good waiting list local private Catholic school. Was told they were doing great, no worries. Passing grades for everything.

Mom started to get concerned during 2nd grade, as while interacting with the kid at home she started to notice some issues. So she ran her through an online reading evaluation test.

Kid could barely read. Not only that, she was actually dyslexic. Two years of teachers just, I guess, hadn't noticed when sending home all those good grades. And they were paying a lot for it too.

She yanked her out and is homeschooling.

Other friends of ours are also pulling their kids out to homeschool, and they're both teachers. The mom even used to teach at that school. My buddy said, "I'm not sure what I'm actually getting for the $14k a year I'm paying."

A private school is no guarantee of quality. And they get their teachers from the same undergrad teaching programs as anybody else.
View Quote

The nuns taught me how to read in the early 90’s. Pulling that bullshit would have made you paste in a wall. Because NO ONE pisses off a penguin and survives.

And you will learn………or else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Education starts at home. End of story
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Education starts at home. End of story
View Quote
Millions of kids in this country are being raised by people who shouldn't be entrusted with the care of a house plant, let alone a child.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Millions of kids in this country are being raised by people who shouldn't be entrusted with the care of a house plant, let alone a child.

View Quote

In Soviet Amerika, president IS houseplant!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
All according to plan.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top