Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/28/2023 2:05:35 PM EDT
When looking at tequila, I'm starting to educate myself.  Up until the last year or so, I would buy Jose Cuervo of some sort and call it a day.  I only drink liquor straight or possibly with a cube depending on what we're talking about.  But never mixed.  My wife is the opposite....only mixed and never straight.  But similar so whiskey/scotch, it seems like you can get your money's worth if you know what the different classifications mean as well as what's actually in the bottle.

Having just built a bar in our basement, I've been picking up good and interesting bottles here and there.  Now I've come to tequila.  For mixing in drinks I'll probably stick with the cheaper stuff.  But if someone who appreciates tequila is a guest... what is something solid to serve them?  Not looking for the $450k bottles.  But respectable to serve connoisseurs is what I'm going for.  Also, any special glasses that you serve it in?  

From what little educating I've received here's some I figured I'd ask about, but feel free to make suggestions and we'll see what agreement the hive reaches....

Don Julio 1942
Clase Azul Reposado
El Tesoro Anejo

Only other thing I'll mention is that if you can't find it on this website it means you are sending me across the border to Jersey which is enemy/occupied territory....and it better be fucking worth it!  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tequila became trendy and expensive.

It's cheap to make and should not be expensive. It doesn't even taste good. For the cost of "good" tequila, I can get a really nice bourbon. I don't get the hype.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sparkle Donkey. Maybe not the best but far from the worst.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Casa Dragones is by far one of my go-to's. The Joven is pricey but well worth it for a sipping tequilla.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's cheap to make and should not be expensive. It doesn't even taste good. For the cost of "good" tequila, I can get a really nice bourbon. I don't get the hype.
View Quote

Idk, arguably agave is harder to get than corn/rye which bourbon is made from.  

Regardless, I'd recommend the op look into any good additive free tequilas.  Don't get don Julio 1942 as it has additives to make it taste better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Best I've ever tasted was a Dos Artes Anejo
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Regardless, I'd recommend the op look into any good additive free tequilas.  Don't get don Julio 1942 as it has additives to make it taste better.
View Quote

Was going to mention that.... Don Julio 1942 has additives but didn't know if it was still considered "good".  I'll cross it off the list.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Tequila drinking buddy got this as gift from wife, brought it on dirt bike trip. It was very good. Looks like it's $60 a 1/5.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
DJ 1942 is good the others are good but a tad overpriced. I like Maestro line of Tequila, their Cristalinos are great. The Diamante for about $50 is a great sipping option. Gran Centenario is my pick in the $100+ a bottle category but all tequilas have had the Bourbon/Scotch treatment.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good tequila is great but it is expensive because it's trendy.

I hear Rum is the last liquor hanging where you can get great bottles at a decent price. I need to find out what kind are good before they take off next.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Im a daily bourbon guy. I have always hated tequila but recently did a blind tasting with friends and my favorites were:

Casa Dragones
Clase Azul

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont usually drink tequila but Cabo Wabo from what i remember was pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tequila drinking buddy got this as gift from wife, brought it on dirt bike trip. It was very good. Looks like it's $60 a 1/5.

https://www.delmesaliquor.com/cdn/shop/files/TequilaOchoSingleEstateBlanco_MesaColorada_2023.jpg?v=1684545124&width=900
View Quote

Ocho is fantastic across pretty much all of their aging range.

WOAFP, was The Tequila Guy here, but he caught the banhammer.  I will try to find and reprint one of his excellent posts on the subject.  There's a lot of manipulation is the creation of most forms of tequila, unfortunately.  He recommended a bunch that were not unacceptably manipulated in his opinion.

From me, "Can you give me your top 3 bottles sub $100 that you feel represent the purest form of tequila that you would offer to a group of connoisseurs if they came to your house and your absolute favorite regardless of price?"

Reply:

1.) Tequila Ocho Blanco ($45ish)
2.) Fortaleza still proof blanco ($55ish)
3.) El tesoro Blanco ($40ish)
4.) Pasote Blanco ($40ish)
5.) Mijenta Blanco ($50ish)
6.) Cascahuin tahona ($60ish)
7.) Siete leguas Blanco ($45ish)

1.) Fortaleza reposado ($65ish)
2.) Calle 23 reposado ($50ish)
3.) Mijenta reposado ($65ish)
4.) Artenom 1123 reposado ($75ish)
5.) El tesoro single barrel reposado ($60ish)

1.) Fortaleza anejo ($90ish)
2.) Tequila Ocho anejo ($70ish)
Tesoro anejo and pasote anejo fall a little flat here at their new price point but aren't terrible

For the XAs you get to over the $100 mark but there are plenty with seeking out. if I just wanted someone to be wowed by a tequila I would pour some of the El tesoro paradise. It's between $120-$150 depending on the market. The original extra anejo made by the original Felipe Camarena and Tomas Estes to highlight what could be done to highlight agave and the barrel influence. Or if you really want to splurge a close tie is tears of llorona around $220 now. This is a combination of port, brandy, and scotch barrels blended after 5 years all while never hiding the agave influence. Beautiful tequila for an extra aged.

I completely disagree with him about Tears, FWIW.  Way, way too woody for my palate, and the people we shared it with as well.  But YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hear Rum is the last liquor hanging where you can get great bottles at a decent price. I need to find out what kind are good before they take off next.
View Quote

I do drink rum, and as a general observation, the gold rum tastes better. A buddy introduced me to a really nice one from the DR. It's hard to find, but still not too expensive. Dark colored bottle with some sort of net thing on it. Since I don't see that often, I buy what's on sale or convenient.

To be fair, I am cynical about most liquor. I will find good beer, but for liquor, I'll get the cheapest thing that doesn't taste like kerosene. I mix it with soda and drink until my aches are numbed and I don't feel sad. There's just no need to drop a bunch of money for that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho are made by the same guy and are both very good, additive free, and truly “sipping” tequilas. Lalo is good for mixed drinks as is La Gritona and siete leguas

Start with blancos IMO and branch out into the anejo/reposado once you find what characteristics you like.

Very good thread in the wine cellar section with lots of options/feedback on tequilas
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Corralejo Reposado Tequila.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
If you like agave spirits, move past tequila and into the myriad other mezcal's, tequila is boring by comparison to what all else is out there (granted, most tequila is cheaper too).

(all tequila is mezcal, not all mezcal is tequila)
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho. That’s about what I’m able to get in PA that isn’t just overhyped celebrity marketing swill.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Tequila can be tricky, as the market is manipulated by brands with big marketing budgets who use additives to give their tequila a specific flavor profile that whiskey drinkers like.  Sometimes, the "popular" high end brands that are marketed so well with a high price don't even taste like agave because they want it to taste like whiskey.  

If you are looking for something to have on the shelf to impress people who don't really know tequila but buy into the hype, then get some Casamigos Blanco and Clase Azul reposado and move on.  These are not very good tequilas, but they are expensive and they have been successfully marketed as high end tequilas.

If you want something that is high quality and traditionally made without additives, then I'd start with a bottle of El Tesoro Blanco which is listed as available on the website you listed.  EL Tesoro Reposado is also good for a aged tequila, and if you can find a bottle of a single barrell El Tesoro Reposado then go for it.  For a more pricey aged tequila, Jose Cuervo Reserva Del La Familia is listed on that website as a special order for around $150.   I know it's Cuervo, but it's a very good Cuervo and much better than 1942 or Clase Azul at a similar price point.  

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, go to www.tequilamatchmaker.com and start reading.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite it Tapatio Blanco.  It is a great sipper, but won't break the bank allowing its use as a mixer as well.  It's made by the same folks who make El Tesoro, which is also fantastic.  

Edit:  I see that you can't get Tapatio, so get the El Tesoro instead.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ocho is fantastic across pretty much all of their aging range.

WOAFP, was The Tequila Guy here, but he caught the banhammer.  I will try to find and reprint one of his excellent posts on the subject.  There's a lot of manipulation is the creation of most forms of tequila, unfortunately.  He recommended a bunch that were not unacceptably manipulated in his opinion.

From me, "Can you give me your top 3 bottles sub $100 that you feel represent the purest form of tequila that you would offer to a group of connoisseurs if they came to your house and your absolute favorite regardless of price?"

Reply:

1.) Tequila Ocho Blanco ($45ish)
2.) Fortaleza still proof blanco ($55ish)
3.) El tesoro Blanco ($40ish)
4.) Pasote Blanco ($40ish)
5.) Mijenta Blanco ($50ish)
6.) Cascahuin tahona ($60ish)
7.) Siete leguas Blanco ($45ish)

1.) Fortaleza reposado ($65ish)
2.) Calle 23 reposado ($50ish)
3.) Mijenta reposado ($65ish)
4.) Artenom 1123 reposado ($75ish)
5.) El tesoro single barrel reposado ($60ish)

1.) Fortaleza anejo ($90ish)
2.) Tequila Ocho anejo ($70ish)
Tesoro anejo and pasote anejo fall a little flat here at their new price point but aren't terrible

For the XAs you get to over the $100 mark but there are plenty with seeking out. if I just wanted someone to be wowed by a tequila I would pour some of the El tesoro paradise. It's between $120-$150 depending on the market. The original extra anejo made by the original Felipe Camarena and Tomas Estes to highlight what could be done to highlight agave and the barrel influence. Or if you really want to splurge a close tie is tears of llorona around $220 now. This is a combination of port, brandy, and scotch barrels blended after 5 years all while never hiding the agave influence. Beautiful tequila for an extra aged.

I completely disagree with him about Tears, FWIW.  Way, way too woody for my palate, and the people we shared it with as well.  But YMMV...
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I like Casamigos Reposado
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cheap tequila like all cheap alcohol is…..well….cheap! When I was a young man I drank my fair share of tequila and top shelf is a lot better than cheap stuff. You can taste the difference but I will say it’s an acquired taste, I haven’t drank it with regularity in decades. It tastes horrible to me now, I’m an avid Bourbon and Cognac guy in my old age….
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Corallejo
Heradura

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you like agave spirits, move past tequila and into the myriad other mezcal's, tequila is boring by comparison to what all else is out there (granted, most tequila is cheaper too).

(all tequila is mezcal, not all mezcal is tequila)
View Quote

Any "mezcal" in specific?  I typed mezcal in the search bar of the site I linked to and it yielded 651 results.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I really liked Arte Nom Seleccion Anejo

I have a bottle of 1942 at the moment, its decent, but my tequila these days is mainly mixers and not for sipping.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any "mezcal" in specific?  I typed mezcal in the search bar of the site I linked to and it yielded 651 results.

Thanks
View Quote
This has been my goto.

Makes a fantastic mezcal negroni, and a drink called "the brave" from a Houston bar called Anvil.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I chose Clase Azul Reposado as the clear favorite from a blind tasting. Not cheap, but worth it for a treat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Dos Gusanos Two Worms Mezcal Joven

Smooth as silk

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oldest rum maker in the world.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Casa Azul
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Corallejo
Heradura

View Quote

I've had more than a few bottles of both of those pass through my liquor cabinet.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Used to love sipping on rum.  Since discovering whiskey I've not had the craving.  What's different about the Black barrel compared to their other bottle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess I'm poor. I sip espolon blanco, kept in the freezer. I will be looking for tequila ocho this weekend though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess I'm poor. I sip espolon blanco, kept in the freezer. I will be looking for tequila ocho this weekend though.
View Quote

I bought a bottle of that a year or two back when they had a rebate.  Definitely smoother than Jose Cuervo.  Plus the bottle looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Anything from El Pandillo or La Alteña distilleries. The Camarena brothers are awesome.

El Tesoro
Tapatio
G4
Pasote (if it is NOM 1579, the moved distilleries)
Tequila Ocho (different plantations to explore terroir, lots of iterations. Very cool)
Villa Lobos
Terralta
Siete Leguas (different distillery)
Fortaleza (different distillery)
Roca Patron (Patron distillery. Overpriced, but good stuff)

All are made with a traditional process: crushed with a tahona, baked in brick ovens, no additives. Most tequila out there is with diffusers, autoclaves, and other processes that yield crappy product, then they use additives to round out the flavor. Dirty little trick, and they don't legally have to tell you about it, unless the additives are 1% of total volume which they never are because they're so potent.

ETA: As I'm relooking this up, it appears a few brands changed distilleries. I highly suspect that will negatively change the quality. I cannot believe El Pandillo sold the Pasote brand. Probably sucks now. But I don't drink anymore so I'll never know.

My old shelf
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Herradura Legend Anejo tequila. $150ish.

This is my high end sipper.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Dobel black label
or
Clase Azul
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Was going to mention that.... Don Julio 1942 has additives but didn't know if it was still considered "good".  I'll cross it off the list.

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

1942 makes me puke. Literally. Doesn't matter if I only had 2 drinks the whole night. I'm puking. Dunno what they put in it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This has been my goto.

https://resources.vino.com/data/offertaFileFile/offertaFileFile-167395.jpg

Makes a fantastic mezcal negroni, and a drink called "the brave" from a Houston bar called Anvil.
View Quote

Anvil (if it's still open; I thought they'd closed?) is well worth your time if you like well-made cocktails and don't mind paying a considerable premium to do so.

Not surprised they'd pick good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Teremana Blanco is one of the best tequilas I've tried.  Not expensive either at less than $30 a 1/5.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#43]
My personal favorite as far as tequilas go

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Local liquor store sold us a bottle of Milagro Respodo.
I drink it straight.  I am new to tequila as a summer sipping drink.
In the winter I drink whiskey.  
I was offered Dosamigos at a business meeting and liked that.  It is more at about 60/bottle.
You may want to start midrange while you educate your pallet.  
Different drinkers have different levels of sophistication.  
I used to get paid to know wines as a waiter.
I have aged and probably can no longer appreciate a bottle of wine past about 40$.
I have some high end stuff and just cannot taste the difference now.  
Some of this stuff is for really develpoed pallets and are riced accordingly.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Familia Camarena reposado is a good inexpensive tequila for mixing drinks. It's 100% blue agave tequila unlike Cuervo which is loaded with cheap rum to increase profits.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Teremana Blanco is one of the best tequilas I've tried.  Not expensive either at less than $30 a 1/5.
View Quote

It’s owned by the Rock and Jäegermeister, and it’s terrible and loaded with additives.

Boo this man!

JK you do you if you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I like to go to one of those giant liquor stores that are the size of a walmart with an entire aisle for every type of liquor or spirits. And just push my cart around and what falls in it, so be it.

I ran into a Sommelier and he asked me if I needed help finding a bottle?
I said, what do you know about Tequilas?  I've been experimenting and look for some decent brands to try.
He said what is your bottle budget.

I said, well my limit per bottle is about a 100 or just over.  I said I feel like I can only taste up to a certain amount, then it kust bottle pimpin...  Not my racket.   I want Flavor.

We talked about different brands and before I knew it, he had this bar/cart thing he wheeled out and we were taking shots of Tequilas I never heard of.

My favorites were Maestro Dobel Cristalino, Diamante and Reposado, eh on the Anejo.
Milagro Select blends like the Silver, Reposado and Anejo
I've heard folks not like it, but I also liked the Cabo Wabo Blanco for the lower end. That's probably the bottom I'll buy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Traveling around Mexico in the early 70s if you stopped in the town of Tequila , just a little south of Mazatlan, you could buy tequila for a dollar a gallon if you brought your own jug. I thought it was a great deal but then I drank for the effect
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

That reminds me, I have to order some.  No, I won't tell you where,  but it has to be shipped.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Partial to Don Sergio.
Just got three Generations on a tip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top