so far in this thread no one has posted the correct reason for this crash

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
note "Wannabe NTSB'ers"

so far in this thread no one has posted the correct reason for this crash

View Quote

You dirty rat, it has to be that it wasn't a C130, amiright? That's what I'm going to go with.

I can pull the accident report and look... but from what I am seeing here, and I am only looking at the video, i assume it to be a hot day with high humidity? If that density altitude were mo'betta he likely could have pulled it off. Possibles are old gas, heavy pilot, or car gas as these are shit I see all the time too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You dirty rat, it has to be that it wasn't a C130, amiright? That's what I'm going to go with.

I can pull the accident report and look... but from what I am seeing here, and I am only looking at the video, i assume it to be a hot day with high humidity? If that density altitude were mo'betta he likely could have pulled it off. Possibles are old gas, heavy pilot, or car gas as these are shit I see all the time too.
View Quote

I don't even have a license, but I know the first things to consider when an airplane crashes on takeoff.

And not a single one of you wannabes has even mentioned it yet.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pilot error.  
View Quote

Excessive dumbshitted move, lack of planning for the departure.  Idiotic at the controls.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Excessive dumbshitted move, lack of planning for the departure.  Idiotic at the controls.
View Quote

incorrect

crash cause was none of those things
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

incorrect

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

incorrect

Too much gravity for available lift?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Too much gravity for available lift?
View Quote

broad brush paintings don't meet the reserve  
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Harrison Ford?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't even have a license, but I know the first things to consider when an airplane crashes on takeoff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gravity!  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
the REAL NTSB prelim report was released today

none of the lynchmob here got it right  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the REAL NTSB prelim report was released today

none of the lynchmob here got it right  
View Quote

Lynch Mob?  LOL  

The preliminary says pretty much what was posted..

"The aircraft received substantial damage upon impact with a traffic signal and wires and subsequent crash to the pavement during a takeoff attempt from Highway 124 in Winnie Stowell, Texas.
The pilot, the sole occupant, received minor injuries.

The aircraft was returning to Chambers County-Winnie Stowell Airport (T90), Texas,after participating in the Texas Rice Festival parade. The aircraft was towed to the location for the parade but, because of weather moving in, the pilot decided to attempt a takeoff from Highway 124 back to the airport. The airport is located about 2.5 miles West of the accident site."

I would, with confidence say.. The final report will put the crash squarely on the pilot fucking up.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lynch Mob?  LOL  

"The aircraft received substantial damage upon impact with a traffic signal and wires and subsequent crash to the pavement during a takeoff attempt from Highway 124 in Winnie Stowell, Texas.

The aircraft was returning to Chambers County-Winnie Stowell Airport (T90), Texas,after participating in the Texas Rice Festival parade. The aircraft was towed to the location for the parade but, because of weather moving in, the pilot decided to attempt a takeoff from Highway 124 back to the airport. The airport is located about 2.5 miles West of the accident site."

I would, with confidence say.. The final report will put the crash squarely on the pilot fucking up.  

View Quote

nope, you missed it again, Mr. Wannabe NTSB'er.  

note: "released today", not some rehash of old news  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lynch Mob?  LOL  

LOL

Well then tell us mr smarty pants.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL

View Quote

nope

I don't even have a license but I knew enough to question the fundamentals of why a plane crashes on takeoff.

And you hoopleheads even had VIDEOS of the event.

Good lesson taught here.  

I swear, GD's a bad as Facebook.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

nope

I don't even have a license but I knew enough to question the fundamentals of why a plane crashes on takeoff.

Good lesson taught here.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

nope

Good lesson taught here.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't stop laughing at this video even though I know someone just lost an expensive toy. Is there anyway to save the video?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't stop laughing at this video even though I know someone just lost an expensive toy. Is there anyway to save the video?

That should be a new 'in' meme.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I know what you are looking for..

It didn't sound like he lost power to me.  

On either of the videos.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lynch Mob?  LOL  

Clearly, you are trolling at this point.  2.5 miles, he should have just taxied there.  

It was caused by overconfidence and complacency.   Same as any other, but just more obvious.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On either of the videos.  

View Quote

There is a "loss of power" and a "total loss of power".

Any loss of power on a short runway blocked by LEO vehicles is puckerville.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Clearly, you are trolling at this point.  2.5 miles, he should have just taxied there.  

It was caused by overconfidence and complacency.   Same as any other, but just more obvious.  

View Quote

FAA prelim disagrees with you, Karnak

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On either of the videos.  

Oh. I get that.  

If he lost power,  It didn't sound like it happened in flight.   Maybe he should have done a run up before going off to the wild blue.  He would have known he was down on power.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/carson1-2118423.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"This report is preliminary and subject to change."  

We shall see.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh. I get that.  

If he lost power,  It didn't sound like it happened in flight.   Maybe he should have done a run up before going off to the wild blue.  He would have known he was down on power.  

View Quote

You know for certain what transpired before the video began?

Amazing  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What fell off the plane as it went over the intersection?
View Quote

Nothing fell off the plane.  His landing gear hit a light pole.  After that, he went ker-splat.   Probably lost too much airspeed after hitting the light pole.  As others have said, pilot error.

Only a total moron thinks roads are good for taking off and landing aircraft.  They're full of obstructions.  Streets signs, lights, fences, mail boxes, mile markers, and roads are narrow.  They aren't wide enough for your wings.  Trying to take off or land on one is just asking to have your wings clipped.  Or your landing gear, in this case.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like they only went half send in a full send zone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"This report is preliminary and subject to change."  

We shall see.
View Quote

There will be other factors, indeed.

But the crash wasn't caused by anything proclaimed as true in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Amazing  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. I get that.  

Amazing  

LOL  

There is video of him rolling out onto the highway and rolling straight into a take off.  What I am saying is.. He should have stopped and done a mag check and run up.  That would have highlighted any power issues that were occurring prior to take off.  

Neither of the videos indicate any change of engine sound which would normally be a tell tale to a power loss during take off.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL  

There is video of him rolling out onto the highway and rolling straight into a take off.  What I am saying is.. He should have stopped and done a mag check and run up.  That would have highlighted any power issues that were occurring prior to take off.  

Neither of the videos indicate any change of engine sound which would normally be a tell tale to a power loss during take off.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. I get that.  

Amazing  

LOL  

I'm guessing he's looking for some kind of dumb ass answer like "the aircraft quit flying".  As you said, from the sound of the engine it wasn't anything like a fuel selector left in the "off" position or anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL  

View Quote

So, you're certain he didn't do a warmup, mag check, and run up prior to the video?

I understand there's "certain" and "GD certain".  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm guessing he's looking for some kind of dumb ass answer like "the aircraft quit flying".  As you said, from the sound of the engine it wasn't anything like a fuel selector left in the "off" position or anything like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. I get that.  

Amazing  

LOL  

Usually if the engine gets starved of fuel under power you will hear a rather loud lean pop or series of them.  Usually if it dumped a cylinder under power it will pop and fart.  It was doing neither of those in either video.  

The preliminary report is usually based on witnesses and the pilot.  The subject to change part is because they will tear that engine and plane apart and find out if there was in fact an issue.  

Hell It could have been down on power,  Did the pilot do a run up and mag check?  Did he check that the throttle was free and working prior to rolling out and taking off?  

There are a lot of variables.. If he did neither of those.. It is just as well pilot error if that contributed to his crash.  

Like I say.. We will see.  I may be wrong.. But I am pretty confident we will see the final report pointing to the pilot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So, you're certain he didn't do a warmup, mag check, and run up prior to the video?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL  

Maybe he did.  But.. If he did,  How did he not know there was a power loss prior to take off?  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Usually if the engine gets starved of fuel under power you will hear a rather loud lean pop or series of them.  Usually if it dumped a cylinder under power it will pop and fart.  It was doing neither of those in either video.  

The preliminary report is usually based on witnesses and the pilot.  The subject to change part is because they will tear that engine and plane apart and find out if there was in fact an issue.  

Hell It could have been down on power,  Did the pilot do a run up and mag check?  Did he check that the throttle was free and working prior to rolling out and taking off?  

There are a lot of variables.. If he did neither of those.. It is just as well pilot error if that contributed to his crash.  

Like I say.. We will see.  I may be wrong.. But I am pretty confident we will see the final report pointing to the pilot.
View Quote

I know what happened.

And none of keyboard the aviators in this thread got it.

The GD truth hurts, but are we not MEN?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I know what happened.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what happened.

Hey!  If i'm wrong.. so be it.  

I would rather it have been an actual unforseen problem than a pilot doing something dumbassed.  Instead of playing coy then spit it out.  I am assuming you know the pilot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know what happened.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Pilot is ok, just got a broken rib and some bruises. Good guy that's flown for many years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would rather it have been an actual unforseen problem than a pilot doing something dumbassed.  Instead of playing coy then spit it out.  I am assuming you know the pilot.
View Quote

LEO cars had blocked off the highway with plenty of room for a normal Yellow Peril takeoff.

Just past takeoff abort distance (remember there are multiple LEO cars blocking the highway in front of him) the engine loses power but just as quickly regains full power.

Controls are established but by now are mushy.

Decision time:

avert to the right ditch - possible hit many civilians watching along the road after the parade

fly straight into the LEO cars - kill yourself and cops

gain enough altitude to make if over the TRAFFIC CONTROL WIRES - maybe dodge the bullet

He chose option #3.

Hitting the small fixture on the left street light reduced both speed and altitude enough to put him into the traffic light wires.

Life save by the fuel tank over his head remaining intact and the angle of the hit not folding the radial back into his lap.

He's going to be ok and no one else was hurt.  

But none of the NTSB Wannabe's thought about a mechanical issue.

Instead, everyone lambasted the pilot, a good pilot btw.

But that's what we do in GD, amirite?

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pilot is ok, just got a broken rib and some bruises. Good guy that's flown for many years.
View Quote

He is a lucky man.. That is a testament to the toughness of that old bird.  That was a wild crash.  

Hopefully I am wrong in my assessment.  I have lost too many friends and acquaintances to crashes.  I don't like to see blame placed on the pilots.  But in so many cases these things could have been prevented.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you suggesting the pilot was an Affirmative Action hire?

That’s a hell of a claim.   You're gonna have to provide proof.  Lets see a picture.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LEO cars had blocked off the highway with plenty of room for a normal Yellow Peril takeoff.

Just past takeoff abort distance (remember there are multiple LEO cars blocking the highway in front of him) the engine loses power but just as quickly regains full power.

Decision time:

avert to the right ditch - possible hit many civilians watching along the road after the parade

gain enough altitude to make if over the TRAFFIC CONTROL WIRES - maybe dodge the bullet

He chose option #3.

Hitting the small fixture on the left street light reduced both speed and altitude enough to put him into the traffic light wires.

Life save by the fuel tank over his head remaining intact and the angle of the hit not folding the radial back into his lap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decision time:

He chose option #3.

Pilots are a pilots worst critic.  

There is a reason for that.  

I don't think I would have taken the risk of taking off where he did.  Way too many variables.  If he makes it out of that mess without the FAA arse fucking him hopefully he will have learned a valuable lesson.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you Him?    “Good guy that’s flown for many years” means literally nothing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have known a few "good guys that have flown for many years"  That are now dead guys.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

local guy with many hours and a good rep

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one here was smart enough to even guess "mechanical problem" was a factor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Decision time:

He chose option #3.

View Quote

So pilot error, as many of us already said.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Decision time:

He chose option #3.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decision time:

He chose option #3.

LoL.    That’s the story you concoct, if you are lucky enough to survive a life altering fuckup.    

For anyone reading this that might be hoping to become a pilot some day: The number #1 rule of aviation, is to always leave yourself an out.  

If you’re taking off from roads after parades, you've already committed   gross acts of negligence in judgement, airmanship and common sense.  

Even if you get away with it, you fucked up bad.  There’s no argument otherwise.    

I might be willing to debate it here strictly for lolz, but in the real world, that’s how it works.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So pilot error, as many of us already said.
View Quote

So mechanical problem with none of you said.

But retrieve your badge for maintaining the GD tradition.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy had a good rep.

So did this guy.

And this guy..

This guy had a stellar reputation.  I miss him very much.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LoL.    That’s the story you concoct, if you are lucky enough to survive a life altering fuckup.    

For anyone reading this that might be hoping to become a pilot some day: The number #1 rule of aviation, is to always leave yourself an out.  

If you’re taking off from roads after parades, you've already committed   gross acts of negligence in judgement, airmanship and common sense.  

Even if you get away with it, you fucked up bad.  There’s no argument otherwise.    

I might be willing to debate it here strictly for lolz, but in the real world, that’s how it works.
View Quote

crop dusters fly every day without an out

toward wires, homes, highways, buildings, trees, silos

wait, did you suggest a mechanical problems about 3 pages back?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still have to adhere to minimum separations and altitudes on buildings, vehicles and people.  Taking off and landing on roads are frowned upon these days.  They used to do it here all the time.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top