User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I can find a way to get Fox news live, or at least some conservative or non leftist 24/7 news that is live, I would cut mine out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just makes me happier that I cut the cable last summer.

If I can find a way to get Fox news live, or at least some conservative or non leftist 24/7 news that is live, I would cut mine out.

If only PJ Media had a real channel and budget.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Progressives hate history. It makes them look bad. And it fucks with the narratives.

Pickers has old shit in it. That's the best kind of history. Old collectable memorabilia. The real shit fucks with the Utopian dream.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Aliens are alternative history.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The history channel died a while ago. Still though.
View Quote

This the Hitler channel was the beginning of the end.

it went from showing the same footage over and over, to some aliens, to reality, to now cocksuckers.

i need to cancel cable i don't use it but its "free" as my bill is the same with or without it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just giving the people what they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no history channel. It's Pickers channel.

I wasn't paying an extra 25 to get H2.

How can you fuck up the history channel?

Yup the people are just not the "they".

its working Americans think they 25% or so of the population is gay.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx

remember there is no agenda and you're a tinfoiler and a truther for thinking it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx

remember there is no agenda and you're a tinfoiler and a truther for thinking it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most American's think 50% of the US Population is African American too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most African Americans think the country is 30 - 40% African American. Because. Big cities.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cucking of America. Angry Lesbian Feminism fighting it's way to the top. Anyway it can. Government enforced. I'm just gonna start calling it the Momma Merkel prerogative.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No, they're pushing an agenda at the expense of profits and viewership. That is why all of the streams and other services are getting so popular. The vast majority are trying to get away from them because they don't want to watch. That's why they're dying.

If it were not for the stupid decisions to chase a politically correct market, that isn't there, the Roku, Amazon Fire, and all the others wouldn't be growing at the pace they are and starting to take over.

People would much rather be able to just turn on the tv and work the remote than they would have all this other crap to deal with. I know I would. But, you can't, because for $40 a month now, you get 195 channels you that are shit and 5 channels that you watch.

The cable and satellite companies have killed their businesses. They won't exist as a in home service provider in a few years.

Where once, everyone had them in the house, and they got all that revenue, in 5 years , you'll be hard pressed to find a few houses that have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it funny how many people here are pissed. So a For Profit Business is changing their product to better maximize profits in a growing market due to a certain demographic that is also growing but in no way will be a threat to the majority.

LOL

I haven't watched History Channel, Discovery, etc... in years. Movie Channels for me and On demand. I watch reruns of the Simpsons and watch TWD, Colony, and Shades of Blue.

No, they're pushing an agenda at the expense of profits and viewership. That is why all of the streams and other services are getting so popular. The vast majority are trying to get away from them because they don't want to watch. That's why they're dying.

If it were not for the stupid decisions to chase a politically correct market, that isn't there, the Roku, Amazon Fire, and all the others wouldn't be growing at the pace they are and starting to take over.

People would much rather be able to just turn on the tv and work the remote than they would have all this other crap to deal with. I know I would. But, you can't, because for $40 a month now, you get 195 channels you that are shit and 5 channels that you watch.

The cable and satellite companies have killed their businesses. They won't exist as a in home service provider in a few years.

Where once, everyone had them in the house, and they got all that revenue, in 5 years , you'll be hard pressed to find a few houses that have it.

Cable and Satellite is dying because of changes in technology. People have alway wanted a ala carte style of programming. We now have the technological infrastructure to do it.

Cable and Satellite are like Blockbuster and 10,000 Movies. Red Box and the Internet killed them.

Political Correctness isn't it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#12]
A&E Networks own History Channel. They switched programming even back then to more stupid shit because guess what... they weren't making money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What happened to Aliens and Hitler?
View Quote

They are living in the same trailer as Elvis and Ray Charles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn. I miss the good old days when if there wasn't anything on you could count on History for something like Hitler's Henchmen.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Average TV/Sat Package: $120 Per Month / $1,440 Annual.

Average Cost of a 12-Episode TV Season on Amazon Video: $23.88

Number of Seasons you can purchase for the same $1,440:   60

Think about that for a minute.  Do you watch 60 series seasons in a year?

Unless you are a sports fan...  Paying a big bill for TV just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yea I turned to it today and it was some viceland horse shit that had people call and leave messages or some shit.
I was like what in the fuck is going on.

So it's the vice channel now?
I guess the only time I'll turn the TV on is to watch The Walking Dead and The Science Channel.

The History Channel
H2
Discovery
TLC
Any channel with any sort of educational programming is done.
There is nothing but brain rotting reality and hipster horse shit on now.
Honestly probably just going to cancel my cable.
View Quote

Paying money for the crap they broadcast these days is a crime against humanity.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My advice: If you have access to a decent internet connection, cut the cable/turn the dish into a sled and don't look back.

View Quote

I don't, I have to have satellite internet because I live in the boonies, which sucks for a whole host of reasons but a big one is that it's metered and I have a 15 GB monthly cap, if all I used was Netflix/Amazon/Hulu I'd "run out" of internet within a week unless I only watch it between 0200-0800, but even I need sleep. So I have to keep the Dish, and even their On Demand uses internet data so if I want to get any of that I have to do it between 0200-0800 but since it saves it to the DVR and queues them I can just set it up to record like 6 things and then go to bed and will have them on the DVR for watching whenever.

What pisses me off the most is the cable lines end about a mile away from me...right next to a rundown hunting camp that would make Jed Clampett's cabin look like the fucking Ritz Carlton. Talk about insult to injury.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cable and Satellite is dying because of changes in technology. People have alway wanted a ala carte style of programming. We now have the technological infrastructure to do it.

Cable and Satellite are like Blockbuster and 10,000 Movies. Red Box and the Internet killed them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find it funny how many people here are pissed. So a For Profit Business is changing their product to better maximize profits in a growing market due to a certain demographic that is also growing but in no way will be a threat to the majority.

LOL

I haven't watched History Channel, Discovery, etc... in years. Movie Channels for me and On demand. I watch reruns of the Simpsons and watch TWD, Colony, and Shades of Blue.

You're both right actually. I cut the cord a good 10+ years ago. its 190 channels of trash is whats on cable and about 5-10 channels that actually have some decent content.

but the cheese has moved. Cable and Satellite companies are content delivery companies. Blockbuster was a content delivery provider. red box is a content delivery provider as is hulu, amazon, and netflix.

why should I pay $50 or more dollars a month for 195 channels full of commercials? so that i can watch 4 or 5 channels. I can watch about 1/2 the content i currently watch with my OTA because cbs, fox, and the CW are broadcast. hulu, and netflix together cost me $22, i don't need a DVR (there is an dated obsolete piece of equipment) and i can watch it on any smart tv, fire tv stick, my mac at work, my laptop, my HTPC, my fire tablet, or my phone. and i can watch whenever the fuck i want to watch it.

people now have a choice between cable/sat and internet delivery and they are leaving in droves for internet delivery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Average TV/Sat Package: $120 Per Month / $1,440 Annual.

Average Cost of a 12-Episode TV Season on Amazon Video: $23.88

Number of Seasons you can purchase for the same $1,440:   60

Think about that for a minute.  Do you watch 60 series seasons in a year?

Unless you are a sports fan...  Paying a big bill for TV just doesn't make sense.
View Quote

I watch:

AOS
Agent Carter
The Flash
Arrow
Legends of Tomorrow
Gotham
Lucifer
DareDevil
Black Sails
Archer
South Park
Z-Nation
Izombie
SuperGirl
and am catching up on Grimm

I watch 12-16 diffrent shows in a year max. why the fuck do I need to or should pay $100 a month to watch them?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't, I have to have satellite internet because I live in the boonies, which sucks for a whole host of reasons but a big one is that it's metered and I have a 15 GB monthly cap, if all I used was Netflix/Amazon/Hulu I'd "run out" of internet within a week unless I only watch it between 0200-0800, but even I need sleep. So I have to keep the Dish, and even their On Demand uses internet data so if I want to get any of that I have to do it between 0200-0800 but since it saves it to the DVR and queues them I can just set it up to record like 6 things and then go to bed and will have them on the DVR for watching whenever.

What pisses me off the most is the cable lines end about a mile away from me...right next to a rundown hunting camp that would make Jed Clampett's cabin look like the fucking Ritz Carlton. Talk about insult to injury.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My advice: If you have access to a decent internet connection, cut the cable/turn the dish into a sled and don't look back.

what if I told you that for a few hunderd bucks you could beam that cable internet that last mile with 802.11n equipment?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Educational Centric Channels are a money pit. The Cable In The Classroom program is dead due to the Internet. That is what spurred channels like Discovery, History Channel, TLC, etc... but the internet has replaced it. The major networks that own these money pits need to do something.

Another great example is MTV. They no longer play music anymore because of changes in the market.

Reality TV became popular because what sells is drama and reality TV is pure drama on a very cheap production costs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#22]
The only way to end the media's derpy propaganda monopoly on content is to cancel cable and use net based services.

Get with the times or enjoy getting some "Ball's Deep". Your choice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what if I told you that for a few hunderd bucks you could beam that cable internet that last mile with 802.11n equipment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd think you were a wizard, I seriously don't know shit about how internet connections work, and now that I think about it it's closer to 2 miles, I was basing it off how long it takes me to pass that piece of shit place right by where Comcast's lines end not actual distance. Yeah I drive pretty quick even on dirt roads.

When I lived in town I had Comcast so I could do anydamnthing I wanted online without thinking about it. Out here, not so much, but I much prefer actually living out here. Just miss streaming Netflix whenever I felt like it or the GF decided I "needed" to watch some show I missed when it was on and the like. But I mostly miss being able to play MMOs, when you have a bad day nothing beats killing the shit out of people in PvP as a stress reliever.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Go ahead. Go flip it on. "Gaycation" on now with "Balls Deep" up next.

You cock suckers will ruin everything.
View Quote

Damn, those are real shows.  You're not even being facetious.  Well, I knew my decision to cut cable 3 years ago was for the best.  Thanks for confirming that for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know anything about boosting me existing wifi signal laws be dammed, due an influx of neighbors with shitty devices drowning out my.signal speed? pleez
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Reality TV is the perfect business model... Plenty of drama with volunteer actors.

That said the producers are at the point of pure desperation with most reality shows. Endless fake competitions trying to crate drama where there isn't any. They have also chronicled every occupation in the state of Alaska.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Reality TV is the perfect business model... Plenty of drama with volunteer actors.

That said the producers are at the point of pure desperation with most reality shows. Endless fake competitions trying to crate drama where there isn't any. They have also chronicled every occupation in the state of Alaska.
View Quote
The Alaska shows are horrible.... especially he ones involving property buyers. Wife and I want to move there. But the damn shows make it look it you either need to be a multi millionaire or live like a savage.

But then again... all of the reality tv shows about buying a home are scripted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you know anything about boosting me existing wifi signal laws be dammed, due an influx of neighbors with shitty devices drowning out my.signal speed? pleez
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engenius has a line of outdoor products that are fantastic. according to one review someone actually bounced a signal around a mountain but I don't know if its true. basically find a neighbor down the road with internet and offer to split it or even pay for it. You put an engenius wifi bridge at his house up on a pole, ariel, tree what ever and point it at your house. At your house you do the same but point yours to his. configure the units to bridge mode and link them (easiest to do this in a room 1st then put them up). Ive used 2 of them so far in installs where I put on on the side of an outbuilding and configured it to client bridge mode and pointed it at the house that had a wifi router INSIDE the house. I got connected at 125 yards and 65 yards no problem with this setup.
http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technologies-2-4GHz-Wireless-ENH202/product-reviews/B006M1PKWY/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_4?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=4

amazon review:

I used two older models for several years over a 1 mile wireless bridge. The bridge unit had slowly required more frequent rebooting, so when it died I wasn't too surprised. I ordered this as a replacement, configured it at the access point site to ensure a good setup and then installed at it's permanent site and all works well. Because it is a newer model than the old bridge router there are some minor differences in configuration that the manual doesn't really address but nothing real difficult to figure out. Though it's not a plug and play configuration. I've had previous experience hacking routers to DD-WRT with some hardware mods, and then configuring those for special functions at home and work, so I'm not a novice. But I'm by no means an expert, mostly following (sometimes vague) directions of the real experts. The old configuration was two engenius eoc-2610, I just replaced one of those. One function lost was the Super-G mode of the eoc-2610, this didn't really concern me as my bottle neck for speed is the ISP, but it might be a consideration for others looking at replacements. Our TelCo's DSL ends 1 mile from me at my dad's house, since I have a clear line of sight to his house this works to bridge that gap. The local TelCo employees before we did it said it would never work, now they tell others about it. I've never experience any noticeable rain fade in the signal and other than the fairly recent need to reboot and then replace one of the eoc-2610s I've not had any problems. Considering the units have been outside 24/7 for at least 5 years I very happy with the way they work. The original access point is still in place but when initially installed cause some interference with broadcast TV antenna that it was attached to, moving it about a foot lower on the antenna mast took care of that. Since then it has worked flawlessly[.

eta and if you buy the plane ticket I'll hook and configure the shit FOR FREE.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have comcast but just internet. I have an OTA for the super bowl, netflix, amazon, hulu, and a plex server with 402 high def movies and over 100 sd movies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and yet you all keeping paying comcast, Dish, and direct tv.

The only reason I have Comcast cable at all is because the lowest-tier internet package is bundled with a 10-channel cable package I never use(it's all locals and Showtime).  The only choices I have at my current residence are Comcast or Comcast.

I have comcast but just internet. I have an OTA for the super bowl, netflix, amazon, hulu, and a plex server with 402 high def movies and over 100 sd movies.

Where I live I couldn't just get "just internet" without paying more.  We have Apple TV for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Look if you watch sports and news on TV you are already gay so this stuff should be right up your alley.

Internet+Netflix = all
Also check out Couchtuner for TV shows... Thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, H2 is now Viceland.
View Quote

Well, they should have plenty of subject matter to keep the network new and fresh for years to come.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Stupid question. Okay, so we have a pretty good internet connection and a desk top computer at home. How do I use that to watching internet content over the TV? I've carried the desktop into the living room and hooked it up to watch a football game that wasn't broadcast in my area before. Am I going to need to have a computer next to the TV or will some sort of WIFI arrangement work? Our WIFI signal is good throughout the house when using a smart phone.

Our over the air broadcast signal is quite good BTW and this is another reason for me wanting to "cut the cord". One set of channels refuses to come in however (ABC). Is it possible I'd have better luck with the antenna closer to the window? We're about 30 miles from the broadcast towers. We're currently using this antenna for OTR reception: http://www.walmart.com/ip/29819722?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227019744576&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40881766832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78811446992&veh=sem
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank goodness arfcom has a history forum with informational and entertaining topics to read.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top