Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
"I thought fat men were supposed to be jolly."
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I often wondered what the characters Klink and Schultz would have done if ordered to execute the prisoners or otherwise commit war crimes. Schultz basically had a good heart but his overwhelming sense of self-preservation often prevented him from taking a stand. Klink was more narcissistic but still did not seem capable of premeditated murder. Still, I suppose one really doesn't know what they are capable of until fate forces you to decide. I like to think that as the war in Europe drew to a close they both did the right thing to make sure their charges were returned safely to the Western Allies and maybe in the process kept themselves out of a Soviet Gulag.

I Dream of Genie - A show about a scantily clad hottie who lives with a man she addresses as Master Now there's some good, old-fashioned, family-hour, TV misogyny
View Quote

Klink was too obsessed with self preservation to do that. He was a bureaucrat trying to hold on to a job, not a true believer willing to die for the cause. It takes a lot of dedication and crazy to commit a major war crime for a losing cause.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought it was great, still do, started watching it as a kid with my dad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
" I know nothing"
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
For those who lived it or had family that did, I get not caring for the show.
Otherwise, it doesn't take any sort of imagination to figure out the whole thing was a spoof. Loosely dreamed up over The Great Escape IIRC. A group to intimidate, harass and irritate the Nazi's. Funny stuff, but if a 100th of the plots were true, the war would have been much shorter.
Just another TV show, like many in the day, mostly forgotten. This one is just goofy enough and PC enough to have survived.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a Youtube channel with every episode:  

Hogans Heroes Channel
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It is funny. It probably did color my view of officers - enlisted interactions a little, the enlisted guys were not nearly as big a bunch of schemers as you would think. For the time it was not really appreciated for some ground breaking about blacks on TV. Kinch was the #2 in the group, Hogan always turns to him for serious advice. Kinch always reads Hogan and knows the Colonel has something in mind before any of the others. Kinch is also the educated one of the enlisted guys, as the radioman and engineer - and the athlete. Carter is a goofy klutz. LeBeau is a cook and gets stuffed in small places. Newkirk is supposed to be the scheming con man, but usually ends up as the doubter and whiner. When Baker came into the group, he ran the radio but never really got to the Kinch level of confidence with Hogan. The show is under appreciated for the character portrayals. Klink, Berkhalter and Schultz actually fought against the Germans in WW2, so if there was some sensitivity, it was playing them for comedy in a serious subject. Ran 5 years, so was a hit, after all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to see a movie reboot, done up semi-serious and believable without the campyness and over-the-top "secret tunnel" gizmos. A WWII German Luftwaffe POW camp with a stellar record, actually run by incompetent officers with an SOE/SO team operating out of it? Who wouldn't want to watch that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd love to see a movie reboot, done up semi-serious and believable without the campyness and over-the-top "secret tunnel" gizmos. A WWII German Luftwaffe POW camp with a stellar record, actually run by incompetent officers with an SOE/SO team operating out of it? Who wouldn't want to watch that?
View Quote

Get rid of the campyness and over-the-top gizmos, and there is no reason to also have incompetent officers/staff to keep "missing" what's happening around them.  That's more of a drama or action movie.  Sounds like something Tom Hanks would sign right up for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Grew up on re runs of Hogan's Hero's, good show..
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is a Youtube channel with every episode:  

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAciXZBdh-CNLJOhX-iuaYA" target="_blank">Hogans Heroes Channel</a>
View Quote

You, sir, are a hero.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I still love the reruns. The mid 50's to the 80's produced some of the best shows ever put on TV.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking without Stalag 17 and The Great Escape as more serious treatments of POW camps, Hogan's Heroes wouldn't have been made.

Quoted:
Papa Bear calling Goldielocks... Papa Bear calling Goldielocks...
View Quote

Speaking of radio calls, does anyone else remember, "checkmate king two, this is white rook, over"?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bob Crane was smarmy and annoying.

Just about everyone else was excellent.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
not offensive, not funny
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Speaking of radio calls, does anyone else remember, "checkmate king two, this is white rook, over"?
View Quote

Combat!      

If not for that show, I'd never know Europe was full of Eucalyptus trees!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Get rid of the campyness and over-the-top gizmos, and there is no reason to also have incompetent officers/staff to keep "missing" what's happening around them.  That's more of a drama or action movie.  Sounds like something Tom Hanks would sign right up for.
View Quote
LOL, no. Action comedy. Officers would be required to be incompetent to align with the original story and to explain how anyone could run an op out of a PRISON
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I doubt there is a single episode I have not seen

Was one of my fav shows when I was a young kid
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top