Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2023 9:35:38 AM EDT
A buddy of mine just put in 1700' of new chip and seal road on his ranch in Texas.

Hogs are tearing it up to rub in the tar.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats probably a decent shooting lane
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You can win this if you want to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Obviously they are destroying his chip seal crop. Treat them as predators.

Then eat them. Win win win.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats probably a decent shooting lane
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe he could ask for volunteers to take care of his problem,or does he expect to get paid for that....?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, hogs sometimes do things.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammunition isn't that expensive is it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If he’s in north Texas I can help him out
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

THEN he'll let you help him with his dire hog damage problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Used tear out carpet and pour old engine oil all over it. They will roll in the oil soaked carpet instead of his new road.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

It’s funny ‘cause it’s true!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
glue trap hogs...hmmmm interesting
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can help if it's south Texas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I got tired of listening to farmers talk about how bad the problem is when they want you to pay them to go take care of it for them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe he could ask for volunteers to take care of his problem,or does he expect to get paid for that....?
View Quote

Let me guess, $500 per hunter, $1000 per trophy boar taken
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Used tear out carpet and pour old engine oil all over it. They will roll in the oil soaked carpet instead of his new road.
View Quote

I don't get it. What's their attraction to tar or oil?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. I got tired of listening to farmers talk about how bad the problem is when you want you to pay them to go take care of it for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I got tired of listening to farmers talk about how bad the problem is when you want you to pay them to go take care of it for them.

Dude...are you okay any signs of stroke...
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
LoL Geez what kind of heavy equipment are they using to rip it up? I can't even dig that stuff with a damn shovel. Hogs are using their noses I presume? their noses are tougher then my shovel?

Sounds like he has a perfect strip of land to set up an  ambush with NVG. I think there is a few NV sponsors on this website.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. I got tired of listening to farmers talk about how bad the problem is when they want you to pay them to go take care of it for them.
View Quote

Normal hunting can help a little, but unless you are running large scale trapping operations, the hog numbers are only slightly annoyed
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ammunition isn't that expensive is it?
View Quote

It's cheaper than bacon and pork ribs that's for sure!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Wild animals made of bacon are destroying property in Texas?

If there was only a solution for that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I would like to find a rancher who just wanted pigs killed. 15 years ago I had a Texas rancher who charged $100 a day and said kill them all. I would really like to find someone again who would grant access to the land for a small fee.

However, I understand they have a commodity and it provides income for them.  It's a pay to play system now and there is no shortage of folks willing to pay $500 for 1 pig.   Besides the liability/risk of having strangers shooting on your land is also an issue.  I know folks who have lost cows to "hunters".

If you are fortunate enough to have access to land, Best do everything you can to keep the owners happy.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. True.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Wait a sec farmers with feral hog problems try to CHARGE the hunters for the privilege to take care of the farmers feral hog problem?How fucked it that? Is it a normal thing to do this?

Can I charge my exterminator for the privilege to come take care of the ants in my yard now too?

Do people actually pay good money for the privilege to do this with a $75 100lb fee? this can't be true can it?  Thats so fucked. On 20 levels that's so fucked.  I would tell those farmers to pound sand.

It's one thing to go to a stocked shooting preserve where all they do is hunt, I understand paying for the privilege to hunt there. But pest control for a farmer who's currently losing crops each night and has the AUDACITY to try and charge money for for someone to fix his problem for him?  Holy shit the balls on that dude....

Hey I have a privacy fence that's falling apart. Would anyone here like to PAY ME for the privilege to come and fix it for me? I will not even charge you a $75 fee. Just the basic $500 a day fee....

Holy shit that's so fucked....
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wait a sec farmers with feral hog problems try to CHARGE the hunters for the privilege to take care of the farmers feral hog problem?How fucked it that? Is it a normal thing to do this?

Can I charge my exterminator for the privilege to come take care of the ants in my yard now too?

Do people actually pay good money for the privilege to do this with a $75 100lb fee? this can't be true can it?  Thats so fucked. On 20 levels that's so fucked.  I would tell those farmers to pound sand.

It's one thing to go to a stocked shooting preserve where all they do is hunt, I understand paying for the privilege to hunt there. But pest control for a farmer who's currently losing crops each night and has the AUDACITY to try and charge money for for someone to fix his problem for him?  Holy shit the balls on that dude....

Hey I have a privacy fence that's falling apart. Would anyone here like to PAY ME for the privilege to come and fix it for me? I will not even charge you a $75 fee. Just the basic $500 a day fee....

View Quote

Texas is a shithole full of shithole people. Don’t be shocked.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is that hunters aren’t taking care of anything. You aren’t going to solve the problem with recreational hunting. Some people may sell hunts under that guise, but it’s not the actual case.

People sell hunts because there are people willing to pay for hunts. It really is that simple.

If someone actually wants to get rid of hogs, it’s  trickier than just letting hordes of dumbasses stomp around on your land shooting hogs.   Not to mention that’s just trading one headache for a much bigger one.

I for one enjoy having them, even though they do cause damage, and am more than willing to take people I trust hunting for free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

No clue, but they like diesel too.   They'll root a fuel spill to heck and gone.

I like how the usual suspects are whining about not being afforded  the opportunity to add more problems to the poor guy's hog issue.

Hunters are not a cure and can be worse than the hogs.  Esp if they are the usual slob hunting crowd that demands they hunt for free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No clue, but they like diesel too.   They'll root a fuel spill to heck and gone.

I like how the usual suspects are whining about not being afforded  the free opportunity to add more problems to the poor guy's hog issue.

Hunters are not a cure and can be worse than the hogs.
View Quote

These threads always bring out the private property haters
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wild animals made of bacon are destroying property in Texas?

If there was only a solution for that.
View Quote

Wild hogs do not produce bacon and hunters are not a solution. They can however, be a very expensive problem a lot worse than the hogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Normal hunting can help a little, but unless you are running large scale trapping operations, the hog numbers are only slightly annoyed
View Quote

This. You can’t eradicate them with hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This....fuck 100% of the ranchers with problems and charge others to take care of the problems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This....fuck 99% of the ranchers with problems and charge others to take care of the problems.
View Quote

Hogs are less of a problem than hunters are.  If you want to hunt, either put some sweat equity into a rancher's land like he did or pay to play.

Stop with the lie that you are actually doing some guy a favor, you are not.

I hunt outside of Rock Springs.  Year round.  All the critters I want to kill.  Know how that happened?  I found a rancher, signed a contract for a hunting lease and work his fences for him as he's getting too old to do it himself. $1500 per family member on a three year lease. I go up there around once a month.

Contrary to popular GD BS,  Ranchers are no evil,  rich land barons trying to keep you from playtime.

Surely, you can hang a gate or two and drop $41 dollars a month?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume get paid for it.  I mean, the man is from Texas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine just put in 1700' of new chip and seal road on his ranch in Texas.

Hogs are tearing it up to rub in the tar.  
View Quote

1700 foot hog hunting range
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can win this if you want to.
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sunscreen isn't available to them.
They get sunburned. Rolling in mud helps prevent it. Oil, tar, mud. Probably makes no difference to them. And oil is probably still on the ground when water isn't.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hogs are less of a problem than hunters are.  If you want to hunt, either put some sweat equity into a rancher's land like he did or pay to play.

Stop with the lie that you are actually doing some guy a favor, you are not.

I hunt outside of Rock Springs.  Year round.  All the critters I want to kill.  Know how that happened?  I found a rancher, signed a contract for a hunting lease and work his fences for him as he's getting to old to do it himself. $1500 per family member on a three year lease. I go up there around once a month.

Contrary to popular GD BS,  Ranchers are no evil,  rich land barons trying to keep you from playtime.
View Quote

Why am I going to do extra favors just to do a rancher a favor already?

I'm the one with  the expertise, equipment and will to be out all night and help him out. I'm not doing extra shit lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wild hogs do not produce bacon and hunters are not a solution. They can however, be a very expensive problem a lot worse than the hogs.
View Quote

Yep. I have 200 acres near Waco that is overrun with pigs. Want to know what happens if you let one guy have permission to shoot pigs on your land?  Well, the beer trash strewn all over the place is the first headache. Then you find out this one person invited a bunch of other people who think they now have free reign to come and shoot anything on your place. They poach deer, tear up the roads, run the pigs with dogs… dogs that then attack the cattle…

Hell one guy I knew had a steer shot by a “Hunter” that was chasing pigs on his land.

That’s why the land owners charge money. It’s not to make money, but to repair damage from poachers AND keep the slobs out. Someone who can pay is not someone who will be as big of a problem, and they won’t bring in his cousin’s-roommate’s-brother’s-coworker’s friend who will think he has free rein of the place
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm the one with  the expertise, equipment and will to be out all night and help him out. I'm not doing extra shit lol
View Quote

Lmfao
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are not doing him a favor.  Hunters  create a goodly amount of risk and are generally, a pain in the ass.  

If you had the "expertise" you would not be demanding that you hunt for free, you would be running a trapping business.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I may or may not have gone down the rabbit hole of watching YouTube videos on large scale hog traps.  Kind of like dr pimple popper except they trap hogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Hog threads are great. Landowners with hogs and people who want to hunt hogs for free talking past each other.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are not doing him a favor.  Hunters  create a goodly amount of risk and are generally, a pain in the ass.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately all too true.  As mentioned, hunting won’t do much to hog numbers either.  I know this from experience with my land.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
glue trap hogs...hmmmm interesting
View Quote

Lol. Now we’re talking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top