Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2023 3:10:54 PM EDT
A friend of mine worked at Home Depot. He’s in his late 40’s 5’5” 160 lbs but ripped and with attitude.

As he was walking back into the store a thief was pushing a cart of maybe $1100 dollars worth of tools past the checkout stand.

My friend steps in front of him and asks “Are you going to pay for that”?

Thief says “nope”.

My friend says “you’re a Bitch” to the thief. The thief throws a tantrum and all the employees stand around doing nothing because they are ordered to do nothing.

What does Home Depot do? They fired my friend for calling a thief a bitch.

This happened weeks ago but what I just learned is they had shed/car port tents erected out front of the store.

The homeless camp across the street came and stole two of them prepping for the winter snow.

Fuck thieves. But also fuck stupid store policy. My friend told me after being fired the store policy is no confrontation whatsoever. Meaning they can’t say anything verbally, they cannot stop them, they cannot leave the store after them into the parking lot.

Basically by store rules you can walk into Home Depot fill up a shopping cart and just roll it out without paying for anything. And you will have no resistance.

This is all true, I have seen it in action, I have talked about with people here.

When people learn this is an option and they do it, and the store puts in policy that makes profits decline the store goes away and the community suffers.

In a proper society Home Depot would at least here in Anchorage would let employees carry and insure them. It would seem a much cheaper approach than the theft.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet the Western Auto or ACE Hardware in Anchorage will hire him pretty quick if he applies there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Smells like a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A friend of mine worked at Home Depot. He’s in his late 40’s 5’5” 160 lbs but ripped and with attitude.

As he was walking back into the store a thief was pushing a cart of maybe $1100 dollars worth of tools past the checkout stand.

Thief says “nope”.

My friend says “you’re a Bitch” to the thief. The thief throws a tantrum and all the employees stand around doing nothing because they are ordered to do nothing.

This happened weeks ago but what I just learned is they had shed/car port tents erected out front of the store.

The homeless camp across the street came and stole two of them prepping for the winter snow.

Fuck thieves. But also fuck stupid store policy. My friend told me after being fired the store policy is no confrontation whatsoever. Meaning they can’t say anything verbally, they cannot stop them, they cannot leave the store after them into the parking lot.

Basically by store rules you can walk into Home Depot fill up a shopping cart and just roll it out without paying for anything. And you will have no resistance.

This is all true, I have seen it in action, I have talked about with people here.

When people learn this is an option and they do it, and the store puts in policy that makes profits decline the store goes away and the community suffers.

In a proper society Home Depot would at least here in Anchorage would let employees carry and insure them. It would seem a much cheaper approach than the theft.
View Quote

I hate to say it, and I absolutely know this goes against most (hopefully all) of our values, but what’s honestly stopping the average American citizen to say “Fuck It” and go “shopping” at Home Depot in a similar manner?

Seriously, maybe that’s what it will take to wake up some people.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate to say it, and I absolutely know this goes against most (hopefully all) of our values, but what’s honestly stopping the average American citizen to say “Fuck It” and go “shopping” at Home Depot in a similar manner?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thief says “nope”.

What's stopping us IS our values.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to a flea market for the first time in years. There were more than a few vendors with tables full of brand new Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ryobi cordless tools. I would imagine that’s exactly how they got them. The prices were about the same as buying them from Home Depot as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Smells like a lawsuit.
View Quote
LOL

they have policies that employees sign off on stating they will follow.  The paper work they sign off of clearly states they can be terminated for not following policy.

Runt employee tries to provokes a fight. Runt employee's actions could lead to other emplyees getting hurt or worse when they have to come to his rescue.   Good firing.
Their store their rules.  If runt employee does not like it he is free to borrow a billion dollars and start his own home imporovement chain where employees are allowed to fight shop lifters.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like your friend is the bitch now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a manager over at Carrs/Safeway that says similar things happen there. People go in and walk out a shopping cart full of products with no resistance because the store tells them not to do anything.

It feels like Anchorage is on the tipping point of anarchy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Paying actual money for things inside of any store is for losers, suckers, and peasants! It's so 2000's!
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because these things are selectively enforced to cause the most damage to society.
If you are the average productive American citizen, throwing you in jail for shoplifting is the correct choice for that goal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It has been HD's policy to let thieves walk, for several years. Trying to stop thieves is an immediate fireable offense.  Their insurance covers the losses. The insurance is far cheaper than a wrongfully death suit and far far cheaper than the bad publicity of body slashing a protected person
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I do agree with you, those same values are fucking us right in the ass.

We continue to turn the other cheek for everything, and the left is laughing their asses off while calling us a bunch of pussies and they're not wrong.

90% of conservatives talk a big game but when it comes right down to it, we don't do shit.

They're not scared of us or our guns, they are afraid of us figuring out that we're losing because of our said values and saying enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know a manager over at Carrs/Safeway that says similar things happen there. People go in and walk out a shopping cart full of products with no resistance because the store tells them not to do anything.

View Quote

It's not just Anchorage, pretty much the entire nation is the same way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the key phrase. The USA is NOT a "Proper Society" by any means after the 1960's give or take 10 years!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It has been HD's policy to let thieves walk, for several years. Trying to stop thieves is an immediate fireable offense.  Their insurance covers the losses. The insurance is far cheaper than a wrongfully death suit and far far cheaper than the bad publicity of body slashing a protected person
View Quote

Guess target needs better insurance because they didn't cover their losses.

Also fuck the other businesses that have rates go up because the insurance company has increased payouts
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Policy is not to escalate or to de escalate

“You’re a bitch” is escalation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is the key phrase. The USA is NOT a "Proper Society" by any means after the 1960's give or take 10 years!!
View Quote

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

We started importing Diversity by the literal boat load. Traitors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Store policy is one thing.

Individual store management is another.

Would have been funny if there was an option for him to see something happening, dial HR, resign, kick some ass, dial HR and come back as a rehire. All in five minutes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Same here in Fairbanks. Wife was in there the other day and a dude did the same thing. Wife was at the register when it happened. Worker said she’s not allowed to do anything to stop them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to any HD or Lowe's in a major market now and everything is caged and locked up because of this.

A few weeks back I went to one in Oakland and literally everything in the power tools and hand tools areas were inside of locked cages.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We continue to turn the other cheek for everything, and the left is laughing their asses off while calling us a bunch of pussies and they're not wrong.

90% of conservatives talk a big game but when it comes right down to it, we don't do shit.

They're not scared of us or our guns, they are afraid of us figuring out that we're losing because of our said values and saying enough.
View Quote

QFT.

It’s just going to have to be another one of those threads.  Where we know we can’t talk about what we want/need/should do publicly.  And another example of even more talk, and even less do.  And I hope you know I’m not mocking you, and I won’t say “you first bro” either.  It’s a shit sandwich and I pray every day that all the good men will know when to say “enough” together.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL

they have policies that employees sign off on stating they will follow.  The paper work they sign off of clearly states they can be terminated for not following policy.

Runt employee tries to provokes a fight. Runt employee's actions could lead to other emplyees getting hurt or worse when they have to come to his rescue.   Good firing.
Their store their rules.  If runt employee does not like it he is free to borrow a billion dollars and start his own home imporovement chain where employees are allowed to fight shop lifters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smells like a lawsuit.
LOL

Decent people need to stop shopping there.   Decent people are paying to cover the losses in higher prices.  

Go to the smaller local owned lumber yard, where the thieves who try may well end up in the compactor and incinerator
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Mexican cartels have a whole division dedicated to ripping off American stores...and a giant sales network to resell stolen goods...like a corporation built for servicing retail theft...

Imagine tying victims hands behind their backs so they and their kids can be robbed,raped,murdered and if they fight back arrested...as official policy...

One evil system
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Autozone has same policy. I watched two chicks roll into a store and get everything needed to do a car stereo install (stereo, Amp, speakers, etc...)and walk right out. Employees just stood and watched. It was the most blatant shit I'd seen in a store. Manager said it happens a few times a week. Store was in Louisville.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#26]
"Not shopping there" is passive-aggressive. I'd urge this guy to get a pugnacious lawyer and tell him to make him a multi millionaire after fees for this. This guy was acting in the best interest of the company and yeah, it's the easy way out for them, but it hoses an honest guy who wants to keep his job and the rule of law in place.

The left does this lawfare shit to us all the time and worse... and our answer is to tuck tail and shop at Lowe's or Ace? Not even a harshly worded comment card? Come on guys.

Let's use their tactics against them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#27]
This thievery issue could be fixed with some tough lovin’ of the criminals. If caught in the act, chop off one hand immediately. If caught in the act of thievery a second time, the other hand gets whacked off. Third thievery infraction would be capital punishment. But it would be so very rare since it’s hard to steal shit with no hands. Aiding thievery as an accessory to the handless thief would result in the same punishment.

It will work. But am I being too harsh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thief says “nope”.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Corporations with policies like that are enablers and just as guilty as the thieves themselves.

Good communities should want Home Depot out of their neighborhood. Go back to several independent hardware stores and lumber yards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe some hookers and blow will ease our values enough to have a shopping spree.  Gotta make sure you look the part, tho.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
He might as well hang out in HD parking lots, knock out the thieves, and return the merch for store credit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Would they get fired if they wave their hands in the person's face and say "not your air" over and over again?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't it be cheaper still to enforce laws against theft and shoplifting and prevent the losses in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't wait until we get to the point where you can knee cap shop lifters......................
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  We’re not voting our way out of this and we’re not boycotting our way out either.  

You can say they’re business their rules too but we’re all the bitches because the business just passes the cost of their shity policies onto us in the form of higher prices.  

In short, we smile as we take it in the ass as consumers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I went to a flea market for the first time in years. There were more than a few vendors with tables full of brand new Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ryobi cordless tools. I would imagine that’s exactly how they got them. The prices were about the same as buying them from Home Depot as well.
View Quote

I was in a fast food drive through a couple of months ago outside of Houston. Looked over at the storage place next door and one of the doors was up and it was to the brim with all kinds of tools, new in box.

Wonder if that was the source?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if you can shoplift online?

Those stores that offer online shopping with in store pickup could really save time for the busy shop lifter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He might as well hang out in HD parking lots, knock out the thieves, and return the merch for store credit.
View Quote

Modern problems, modern solutions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
They used to walk out with cats full of copper wire. Then straight to the recycler. Now it's caged.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]
What needs to happen is the shareholders need to sue HD ownership and Management for failing Fiduciary Responsibility.  Their policies of allowing theft is hurting their investment and causing the company to lose money and the stock price to decline because of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Didn't California just pass a law saying if a store employee attempts to stop a shoplifter...the EMPLOYEE faces catching a misdemeanor charge?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe some hookers and blow will ease our values enough to have a shopping spree.  Gotta make sure you look the part, tho.
View Quote

Hell, shoplifting with MAGA hats would put an end to these corporate policies in very little time.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#43]
As a society, you get what you tolerate.  Industrial shoplifting, fare evasion, rampant reckless driving.  All of this could end.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This guy was acting in the best interest of the company
View Quote

Was he though?  If a thief gets hurt when being detained and then sues the company for way more than the price of whatever was being stolen, the odds are pretty good that he'd win.  It's enough to where the company doesn't want to risk the likely possibility of a much larger loss (damages + lawyer fees) than the much smaller loss of a stolen powertool or something.

The solution is to reform the law and limit or eliminate what damages can be awarded to someone who's injured while committing a crime.  Then once the odds are on the company's side, they'll either start detaining thieves or go out of business because their competitors will.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I remember back in the 90's thieves would get their asses beat in the parking lot by employees. Man, stuff was cheaper back then...
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen many ads on CL for new in wrapper tools. Probably a similar operation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Local HD won’t confront people nor will they even call to make a police report.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Store *whines incessantly about massive levels of theft*

Also store *fires employees for giving a fuck about the things under their care*

Far as I'm concerned employees should be helping the thieves load stuff up until big box stores reach down, grab their nuts and decide to do something about it. Our dumpster fire of a civil tort system in this country is an embarrassment and is partially to blame for this mentality but at some point stores are going to need to step up security and do something I stead of whining about it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I think before I left I would have to get on the PA and announce store policy and let all customers know everything in their cart is free.

You get what you tolerate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, your friend needs to learn sign language.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top