Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/28/2022 2:00:23 PM EDT
Employer is having a competition to win gift cards for suggestions on ways for them to save money.  Anyone have suggestions?  Major hospital that loses money in all the normal ways.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Fire the administrators
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
View Quote

How much are they paying the CEO because the last on my wife worked at five years ago was getting a million a year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hospitals are extremely bloated with administration.

Get the Registered nurses out of an office and back on the floor.

Because of the huge amount of data the government is compiling on its citizens via hospitals and clinics, move staff to support positions, like a scribe, who will enter the information a doctor is getting and allow the Dr to be a Dr.

Same with nurses, especially at high intensity departments like ER and BH.  

There are so many regulations fromthe government now, it would be extremely difficult to make money at a hospital if you have an ER.

EMTALA is horrible and should be repealed but it never will be.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Having spent enough time in hospitals doing nursing clinicals to have some relevant perspective to where waste occurs and significant experience in reducing costs in manufacturing, I can say with complete confidence and certainty that there is a plethora of low hanging fruit ways a hospital or clinic could reduce its costs that would be considered standard best practices anywhere I've worked in industry, and that none of them are palatable to hospital leadership and so they will instead cut their nose off to spite their face and simply cut operational capacity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Not pay executives and admins exorbitant salaries.

There was a list here recently that showed non-profit payroll. Non-Doctor hospital CEOs made more than the DRs...
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Stop paying staff for doing TicTok dances?

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If you ask hospital CEOs they'll tell you "just have fewer nurses care for more patients... what could go wrong?"
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Why would they want to save money?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at supply chain stuff, like optimizing what size contrast media vials are used (bulk vs single dose) .

Instead of providing cable TV in rooms, if there's decent guest access have people bring their own firestick/chromecast/whatever.  Buy a few to loan to elderly people that don't have one.

Take a hard look at service contracts and warranties on medical devices.  The manufacturer is not loosing money on them, accepting some risk of being down/unexpected expenses is worth it in many cases.

Bribe the local ambulance services to take their medicare/no-insurance patients to a competitor.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd look at how often your updating your charge schedule.

My employer was doing them annually.  Changes in allowable reimbursements change frequently and when someone looked at how many codes we were billing at under the allowed amounts with insurance companies, the dollar amount left on the table was in the millions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Reuse gloves and needles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
1099 everyone.

Or

Have the hospital broker deals directly with other medical services in the area to bypass insurance company bureaucracy for benefits.

PM me for reward.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
View Quote

I was going to say deny service to anyone with unpaid medical bills.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Replace everyone with pronouns listed in their email signature.

They spend less-than-average time doing productive work.

ETA Fire everyone that has posted to social media during their shift hours.

EATA Yes there is administrative bloat, but you cannot fire them all.  Pronouns and TikToks are indications that the person should be reviewed carefully if not just replaced.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
View Quote

SPNI.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Gatorade IV's?  It's gotta be cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Instead of providing cable TV in rooms, if there's decent guest access have people bring their own firestick/chromecast/whatever.  Buy a few to loan to elderly people that don't have one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are you for real?

Bribe the local ambulance services to take their medicare/no-insurance patients to a competitor.

Extremely illegal
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, FPNI, as usual.  Send em to county
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at clipboard nurses to fire.

Find the VP redundancies to eliminate.

Limit the CEO compensation.

Maximize ASC and GI clinic efficiency.

Have the surgeons compete against each other.

Examine anesthesia for oversight fat and bid against national companies.

Contact local nursing schools for internship pipelines with contracts.

Find ways to keep the non-payers to clinic instead of ER.(if you can get other hospitals, doctors, etc to help to fund a free clinic in the worst part or near worst part of town for a write off, you will save money for all the non-payers)

Have a vicious billing practice that gets all info at the door and pursues payment.

Actively have suppliers bid against each other and go in together with the other hospitals in the area.

Take on medical residents in bulk.

I’ll find you savings, but it must be balanced with smart investments in production staff, not admin/exec bonuses.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#27]
The nursing staff at hospital where I work is almost 50 % travel nurses.  They cost a shit ton of money. But still admin won’t increase pay.  

I say every time they replace a travel nurse with a full time nurse they should take the money they save and divide it up among  the regular nursing staff.  Eventually they will have an stable, appropriately paid staff. It won’t cost a dime and someday they will stop having to retrain all the time.  That’s where they will save the money.  

But no this is just a temporary  problem that will pass. Then they can get back to paying slave wages.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Charge a cover charge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
outsourcing their IT dept
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you for real?

Extremely illegal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you for real?

Extremely illegal
Streaming plus OTA TV is actually a thing in some hospitals, and will become more common.  Its a joke, but half-serious that it will be a viable option in a few years.

Only hospital owned or operated ambulances are covered by EMTALA, and the 250yd rule is real.  If the free loading no insurance patient never sets foot in that zone...
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Fire the insurance companies. It seems like most over-pricing is to cover the massive insurance needed to run a hospital.

Also, change the mindset of people that being a Doctor is a one-way ticket to riches.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
View Quote

This is the obvious answer, but probably won’t win you the contest
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!  My hospital,a rural 65 bed facility,had 20 customers that ran up over one million in unpaid charges for ER visits that didn't result in admissions or transfers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's a good way to lose a lot of money thanks to EMTALA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good way to lose a lot of money thanks to EMTALA.
Don't forget the hippocratic oath.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]
You can save a shit ton by reusing medical supplies.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The nursing staff at hospital where I work is almost 50 % travel nurses.  They cost a shit ton of money. But still admin won’t increase pay.  

I say every time they replace a travel nurse with a full time nurse they should take the money they save and divide it up among  the regular nursing staff.  Eventually they will have an stable, appropriately paid staff. It won’t cost a dime and someday they will stop having to retrain all the time.  That’s where they will save the money.  

But no this is just a temporary  problem that will pass. Then they can get back to paying slave wages.
View Quote

THIS

Except some hospital systems said said "no more travel nurses and only minimal raises" so nurses are quitting... and they increased patient to nurse ratios to make up for staff losses.... and more nurses are quitting... but the CEO makes 2.8mil
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

THIS

Except some hospital systems said said "no more travel nurses and only minimal raises" so nurses are quitting... and they increased patient to nurse ratios to make up for staff losses.... and more nurses are quitting... but the CEO makes 2.8mil
View Quote

Well I have news for them.  This problem isn’t going to fix itself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Reuse gloves and needles.
View Quote

We had a patient who got injured pressure washing interstate bridges come in. He was from Russia,and was very concerned about whether our syringes were sterile.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The nursing staff at hospital where I work is almost 50 % travel nurses.  They cost a shit ton of money. But still admin won't increase pay.  

I say every time they replace a travel nurse with a full time nurse they should take the money they save and divide it up among  the regular nursing staff.  Eventually they will have an stable, appropriately paid staff. It won't cost a dime and someday they will stop having to retrain all the time.  That's where they will save the money.  

View Quote

Average RN wage in the U.S. is $82,750, and in many large metro areas the average is $120,000. Hardly "slave wages" as you allude to.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Don't try to tell a narcassistic MBA what to do...
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
View Quote
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Stop hiring travelers and just pay the rest of the staff better
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Generate some of your medical gases (mainly oxygen, but also nitrogen) on site.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
You apparently have no clue how much nurses make. Most the RNs in my hospital earn $50-$75./hr. We use traveling nurses not because wages are too low, but because there simply are not enough nurses to meet demand. A lot of old(er) nurses retired and got out of nursing, and the younger generations would rather be Tik Tokers or YouTuber Streamers than laborers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire the administrators

lmao...you don't need all those people
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You apparently have no clue how much nurses make. Most the RNs in my hospital earn $50-$75./hr. We use traveling nurses not because wages are too low, but because there simply are not enough nurses to meet demand. A lot of old(er) nurses retired and got out of nursing, and the younger generations would rather be Tik Tokers or YouTuber Streamers than laborers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well 12 hour shifts suck,
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Stop giving gift cards to people to find a way to save money and have the administration do their fucking job
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire the administrators

Really? So who do you need and not need?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Fire the entire HR team. Also fire about 90% of the accountants.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Supply and demand. Make it 200,000$.  I’m sure the shortages wouldn’t last.
And before you say that’s absurd, that’s what they spend on a travel nurse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top