Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Process regulated medical waste on-site instead of paying someone to process it offsite.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut down on pizza parties.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Get rid of middle management.

Let physicians, not the .gov & RNs direct patient care.

Stop requiring multimillion dollar EMR that requires millions in upkeep.

These are what’s driven healthcare upward in the 30 years I’ve been involed.

At least once a day, I get a text from an RN telling me to put an order in the EMR that she can’t figure out how to activate, so she needs it redone or she cannot give a medication, send a patient for a test, etc.

Tail wags dog—honk, honk!
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Employer is having a competition to win gift cards for suggestions on ways for them to save money.  Anyone have suggestions?  Major hospital that loses money in all the normal ways.
View Quote

Tell them your consulting fee is 3x your payrate for starters..
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Hospital my wife works at has a 6 figure idiot on staff that has the job  title of "  Head of People " . Wife has no idea what her job is
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
View Quote

fucking this!

also bums use the ambulance as a free taxi service, cant deny them a trip to the hospital even though they do not need EMS services.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hospital my wife works at has a 6 figure idiot on staff that has the job  title of "  Head of People " . Wife has no idea what her job is
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Coordinate with primary care to prevent expensive inpatient and emergency care, so chronic conditions that can be managed cheaply through primary care don't lead to expensive inpatient and emergency care visits.

It will take a long time to do this, but this is what we do. We have a primary care facility that gears things to reduce emergency and inpatient care services with the hospital we coordinate with. Costs fall, health outcomes and customer satisfaction rises.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

fucking this!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fucking this!
There's a law saying they have to. EMTALA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not the illegals, it's the Medicaid folks that treat the ER as their one stop shop.

Charge a copay $1 higher than a pack of cigarettes for ER patients on government insurance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You can suggest all kinds of sensible ways for hospitals to save money.

After you witness a middle management red tape applying nurse throw away a fucking pacemaker magnet because “it’s expired,” you will come to realize it’s all pointless.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Kill your patients and collect that gov covid money
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kill your patients and collect that gov covid money
View Quote
NY tried that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At least once a day, I get a text from an RN telling me to put an order in the EMR that she can’t figure out how to activate, so she needs it redone or she cannot give a medication, send a patient for a test, etc.

View Quote

Sounds like the medication schedule problem.  Provider orders new med after the standard scheduled time has passed.  Pharmacy profiles the med to be given the next scheduled time, which may be the next shift or the next day.  The RN can't scan the med or even access it in the suremed/pyxis and has to call the practitioner to reorder/add the med as a now dose.
Happens all day, every day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Kick illegals out of the ER let them rot on the streets
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Let terminal people die

Wait, keeping dead people alive a few more weeks is their core profit center
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How much are they paying the CEO because the last on my wife worked at five years ago was getting a million a year.
View Quote

This.  I’m at a 250 or so bed Hosp. CEO gets about a million and benifits.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.  I’m at a 250 or so bed Hosp. CEO gets about a million and benifits.
View Quote

Sounds like incentive to become CEO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
stop taking medicaid.
View Quote

I’m mad at myself for not including this—I just had a drug seeking malingerer threaten me with bad reviews if i didn’t give him scripts for Xanax & oxys.

I’m stick quivering over his threat….

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like the medication schedule problem.  Provider orders new med after the standard scheduled time has passed.  Pharmacy profiles the med to be given the next scheduled time, which may be the next shift or the next day.  The RN can't scan the med or even access it in the suremed/pyxis and has to call the practitioner to reorder/add the med as a now dose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today’s text was a CT guided abscess drainage.  I wrote “CT-guided abscess drainage” in the “reason for IR” line in the order & the RN & IR scheduler can’t read or see the “reason for IR” because both interrupted my office with texts requesting the order say “CT-guided abscess drainage.”

Reading used to be fundamental….now that high school grads think they can direct a doctor, they don’t bother reading, just texting in between Facebook & instagramming about how “front line” they are….

I get the safety aspect of others questioning doctors—but when they’re too stupid to read…..

It’s like talking to a non-clinical administrator who doesn’t understand that patients need to make their appointments in order to be scheduled for surgery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#22]
1) Fire everyone with "diversity" or "equity" in their job description
2) Fire the plague of locusts known as health care administrators
3) Make it legal to refuse service to patients for being idiots
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#23]
30 years in medicine.
I’ve seen every so called money saving scheme.
I just got out because I was tired of being asked to do more a more as they cut out other positions.
My employer saved 30 a year when I retired…. My replacement makes $10hr less than me, and I was under paid by $3-5.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.

It's cute that you think that's what everyone means by hospital admin.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Gender reassignment surgeries an option? Apparently yall can make a killing, since yall all woke and jabbed up now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's cute that you think that's what everyone means by hospital admin.
View Quote

Did you spend the last 2 years dancing in TikTok videos, or married to one who spent the last 2 years dancing in TikTok videos?

You sound pretty biased.

OMG...I'm an RN and I know more than every doctor and hospital administrator alive!!!

Check out my new dance moves and like my #nurseherostrong insta
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't forget the hippocratic oath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good way to lose a lot of money thanks to EMTALA.
Don't forget the hippocratic oath.

Just so everyone understands, the Hippocratic oath has nothing to do with giving free health care to everyone at all times like some people here believe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

REPORTED

You're not supposed to advocate violation of the law here.

Federal law requires states to pay for illegal aliens medical care.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#29]
(Around here anyway)
Cut out all the fat at the top and pay full time bedside what they’re worth.  I am one of the few full timers in my facility.  Chock full of travelers being paid twice what they would normally make.  Pay a little more to retain full time staff instead of cultivating a revolving door of employees.  All the while administrators are getting six figure bonuses.  Doesn’t make sense.  In all my twenty plus years I have NEVER seen any facility take a proactive approach to this.  Only reactive.  If anyone would try to run any other sort of business the way they do they would be fired in two months.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Today’s text was a CT guided abscess drainage.  I wrote “CT-guided abscess drainage” in the “reason for IR” line in the order & the RN & IR scheduler can’t read or see the “reason for IR” because both interrupted my office with texts requesting the order say “CT-guided abscess drainage.”

Reading used to be fundamental….now that high school grads think they can direct a doctor, they don’t bother reading, just texting in between Facebook & instagramming about how “front line” they are….

I get the safety aspect of others questioning doctors—but when they’re too stupid to read…..

It’s like talking to a non-clinical administrator who doesn’t understand that patients need to make their appointments in order to be scheduled for surgery.
View Quote

As an RN, I understand that there are occasions when a doctor would be justified in walking onto a unit and start back-handing RNs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As an RN, I understand that there are occasions when a doctor would be justified in walking onto a unit and start back-handing RNs.
View Quote

And as an RN I can also understand when a RN would be justified backhanding a Dr.

There are stupid ones on both sides.

One of the reasons I like working in the ER. I need something, I go talk to the Dr.

When I did ICU and IMU, I hated when the orders were done incorrectly, or the admitting doc orders identical testing that was just done in the ER, and then gets mad because you call them and ask if they really want to repeat blood cultures that were done 3 hours ago.

As for the OP, I have given a few ideas to our facility over the years, but none implemented.
My last one was to stop annual testing for TB.
Our facility claims to be a "evidence based practice" facility, so I sent a link to the CDC's site stating that annual TB testing was not needed unless there was an outbreak or exposure.
25,000 employees at the system I work for that are tested annually (with blood, not skin test) is not cheap.
I never heard anything back.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just so everyone understands, the Hippocratic oath has nothing to do with giving free health care to everyone at all times like some people here believe.
View Quote
Aye. I still think it's a bit immoral to withhold "bare minimum" (Basic health care required for continued living and bodily function) or emergency medical care from people, on the basis of them not being able to afford it, especially when it results in death from something that would have been otherwise treatable.

I dunno what the solution would be but I do think the hospital suits make too much money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I can recommend a company that can help you implement programs to reduce patient falls.  They have saved many hospitals millions per year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply pay a guy to stand outside the Emergency Room entrance with a ICE vest and hat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't kill patients.  Less money lost from lawsuits.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Admin types are extremely allergic to raising wages. Like full on anaphylaxis!

Admin types would much rather continuously pay a temporary wage 300% of their staff wages to fill 33% of their staff positions with travelers than simply raise wages 15% across the board to actually recruit and retain permanent staff.

It's fucking insane. And they all do it which makes a permanent market for travelers.

Then they go into the red and decide that maybe we don't need any staff after all... hoping they can shut down the traveler market. But it turns out you actually need staff to care for patients to have revenue. If you don't have staff, you can't take patients plus it makes life hard on staff who then leave in a vicious cycle.

Fucking MBAs trying to circumvent supply and demand...
View Quote
Wow this post seriously fucking nails it
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

THIS

Except some hospital systems said said "no more travel nurses and only minimal raises" so nurses are quitting... and they increased patient to nurse ratios to make up for staff losses.... and more nurses are quitting... but the CEO makes 2.8mil
View Quote
Bet you can pay for a whole lot of nurses with 2.8 mil...
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Help fund a Volunteers in Medicine Clinic to take the load off “free” hospital services.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Dye test all toilets.  
Verify that every sink doesn’t have a leaky faucet.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Stop committing medical malpractice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

We don't even get pizza parties ??
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Reuse gloves and needles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Fire a lot of administrators.  What do they do for health care?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fire a lot of administrators.  What do they do for health care?
View Quote
Come on man...

Those power points on how to increase those HCAP scores aren't gonna get done by themselves
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Start paying more to attract FT staff and cease hemorrhaging your current staff. Onboarding new staff costs more then the staff will return for at least a year or two. So you better have a high retention rate.

Has no one come up with a laffer curve for this?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a liquor license and open a bar in the lobby.
Increased venue.
People go to hospitals (not as patients) and want to drink! A child was born, Drink! A loved one died, Drink! Major procedure, Drink!

And when they drink too much, they become patients.

It's really a win/win.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve now learned why DK just posts “lol” in threads about higher education.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys ate worried about the 1 ceo making 1mil. What about the 400 nurses asking 220k a year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You guys ate worried about the 1 ceo making 1mil. What about the 400 nurses asking 220k a year.
View Quote

That different  , nurses are worth it
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top