Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have been beaten, sir.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Beaten like Ace and Gary’s wieners.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
They have been actively trying to break down and weaken America's heroes(real and imagined).  Superman is a joke now compared to how he was once viewed by the public.  Batman is almost a villain at this point.  Spider-Man is a comedy.  Thor is the equivalent of a guy in a RomCom.  Luke Sywalker is a cuck.  On and on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Japanese media has largely replaced it. Look at how Demon Slayer blew out the box office when it debuted. Expect Chainsawman to make a similar splash when it is animated. They at least understand people want to see people with superpowers beat the fucking shit out of each other, not gay superboy making out with his best friend who is also a PoC.
View Quote

/|\ This.

Some friends of mine went to comic con 2022 last weekend.  Anime vastly dominated the event.  Very little American comic stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Name them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Quit gaying up everything

There's been openly gay superheros in comics since I was a kid,
and I'm 55.

Name them

Isn't Aquaman kinda gay?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

North Star debuted in 1979.  
North Star of Alpha Flight
That was the first one that came to mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Name them

That was long after my Comic book reading days were over. I guess the presence of gayness depends on one's time frame.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

He didn't come out as gay until the 90s.  And it was such big deal to have a gay superhero that made national news.  This was in the 90s.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Chris Claremont was the best writer from late 70's until late 80's in what I would call the heyday of good comics, then a bunch of wannabe lead guitarists screwed everything up, namely Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarlane.    

Except Jim Lee, that dude could draw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He didn't come out as gay until the 90s.  And it was such big deal to have a gay superhero that made national news.  This was in the 90s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he was Canadian, so it was implied he was gay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Isn't Aquaman kinda gay?
View Quote

lol, no

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up with comics in the 50s and early 60s. Sgt. Rock and Easy Company was my favorite. There was no shortage of comic books back then, Archie, The Haunted Tank, Green Lantern, Super Man, Batman, The Phantom, and the Hulk, just to name a few. Gaines and his Shock Jock mouth were his own worst enemy. We didn't need the govt. to tell us what he was selling was trash, we figured it all out already and didn't want anything to do with it. What really killed the comic books was we were in the middle of the Vietnam War and Sgt. Rock and East Company were still killing Nazis twenty years later. Archie was in college for twenty years. With Batman, Super Man, and the League of Justice, crime should have been wiped out. There was no sense of updated reality. Creativity went down the toilet. A new generation of superheroes came along and they were as lame and stupid as one could get.

At the same time, Saturday morning cartoons were replacing comics with the likes of Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Stingray, etc. Walt Disney and free cartoons every week beat the snot out of the comic book industry. The comic book only saved their asses when they joined the club with more adult movies of their own. They made billions from that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I grew up with comics in the 50s and early 60s. Sgt. Rock and Easy Company was my favorite. There was no shortage of comic books back then, Archie, The Haunted Tank, Green Lantern, Super Man, Batman, The Phantom, and the Hulk, just to name a few. Gaines and his Shock Jock mouth were his own worst enemy. We didn't need the govt. to tell us what he was selling was trash, we figured it all out already and didn't want anything to do with it. What really killed the comic books was we were in the middle of the Vietnam War and Sgt. Rock and East Company were still killing Nazis twenty years later. Archie was in college for twenty years. With Batman, Super Man, and the League of Justice, crime should have been wiped out. There was no sense of updated reality. Creativity went down the toilet. A new generation of superheroes came along and they were as lame and stupid as one could get.

At the same time, Saturday morning cartoons were replacing comics with the likes of Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Stingray, etc. Walt Disney and free cartoons every week beat the snot out of the comic book industry. The comic book only saved their asses when they joined the club with more adult movies of their own. They made billions from that.
View Quote

Comics were big in the early 90’s. The internet killed comics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I forgot to mention anime has ruled over comic books since the mid-80s. There is something for everyone. Ghost in a Shell is an all-time favorite around the world.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Right after the Columbine shooting they were trying to blame music and film for causing the shooting.
View Quote

Tell that to Jello.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Deep>Aquaman
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The late 80s / early to mid 90s saw pretty much every IP get a dark and gritty reboot. Some of this persisted into the early 2000s as well. Which was certainly preferable to what we get now.

Quoted:

Yes, I forgot to mention anime has ruled over comic books since the mid-80s. There is something for everyone. Ghost in a Shell is an all-time favorite around the world.

The japanese will write on any concept, no matter how stupid. But when they hit paydirt, they really nail it. Shame we're now seeing GitS' desecrated, and I'm not really even counting the live action in that. That netflix series... ugh.

And the Trigun reboot isn't looking so hot either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
It's comics, who cares.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would say that the new production American comic book industry is dead, just being subsidized by woke money.

Eventually it will just cease.
View Quote

Are you saying folks aren't breaking down the doors to get their copy of gay, disabled SpiderThing that swoops around, legs flopping in the wind, with a wheelchair webbed to its back?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

TOO WOKE!! When Your Virtue Signalling Massively Insults the Pandered Target!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

and I'm 55.
View Quote

they have gone overboard with it now, they are redoing lots of characters as well as new ones.

some of it blows up in their face. but its insane if you look at marvel and dc alone, and at the titles out their now, for some of the independents as well.  Still plenty of good stuff out there.  less than there was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are you saying folks aren't breaking down the doors to get their copy of gay, disabled SpiderThing that swoops around, legs flopping in the wind, with a wheelchair webbed to its back?
View Quote
Actually woke shit is selling extremely well now. We lost the culture war. It might chap GD's ass but it's true. Whole lotta queer shit broke the charts recently. Gender Queer (I read it, it's physically repulsive) is still in the top hundred on amazon, and heartstoppers (about gay guys) is still dabbing all over the NYT graphic novels sales charts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
almost?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually woke shit is selling extremely well now. We lost the culture war. It might chap GD's ass but it's true. Whole lotta queer shit broke the charts recently. Gender Queer (I read it, it's physically repulsive) is still in the top hundred on amazon, and heartstoppers (about gay guys) is still dabbing all over the NYT graphic novels sales charts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't though. I don't have the numbers handy (BookScan is where I've seen them pulled from), and I'm not a manga fan so I don't recall the title, but a single manga title is outselling all of Marvel's and DC's offerings combined so there's no way that an extremely niche thing like that is beating anything.

The pathetic state of American Comic Books
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't Aquaman kinda gay?

lol, no

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271151/c5_jpg-2500204.JPG

That's pretty gay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Doc Savage.

I wish they would bring him back, but they would make him a faggot booty bandit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chris Claremont was the best writer from late 70's until late 80's in what I would call the heyday of good comics, then a bunch of wannabe lead guitarists screwed everything up, namely Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarlane.    

View Quote

The Chris Claremont X Men and Captain America were some of my favorite titles.  And the Frank Miller Daredevil comics.

I had a huge collection of Marvel Comics from the mid '70s through the late '90s. Sold all of them in the late '90s for serious  money. Had quite a few sought after issues also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure they are. lol

Confirmed: Woke Superman Tanks: DC Comics Sales Nosedive Again In January
By: AuthorMatt McGloin

Posted onPublished: Sunday, February 6, 2022 - 6:17AM
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

My dude.

McFarlane was good for certain things. I loved his run on a few books but really lost track of him once he left Marvel.

Lee is still one of my favorites all time.

Claremont had runs of total awesome clarity, then weird runs where he tried turning Houston into Hell or something weird.

Liefeld is the worst bigger-name artist ever. I can’t stand his work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

your loss bro

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your loss bro

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271151/c6_jpg-2500656.JPG

Liefeld is a self centered, cock gobbling, douche drinking piece of shit. Fucker was constantly posting pictures of other projects he was working on and pictures of him sitting on the beach or on a boat but never updated his Kickstarter.

I backed his Kickstarter and after five years it was still in limbo. I messaged him to see what was going on and the motherfucker just gave me my money back. I wanted the books and he was a little bitch and couldn’t handle people wondering where things they paid for were.

Fuck Liefeld.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
This vid just popped up in my feed (thanks YouTube algos! ). It's a YellowFlash vid from last year and discusses the state of the comic book industry.

April 2021, not a single American comic in the top 20 BookScan for North America.

Marvel comic pros prepare for unemployment! Japanese manga officially DOMINATES top 20 books!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

and I'm 55.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Quit gaying up everything

and I'm 55.

It has not been the norm to make that front and center in the comics, as the main point of the characters existence, and it has not been normal for them smash peoples faces with that intentional, over and over and over as a form of torture to convert people by desentizing people to it.

It's not even remotely honest to say it was as bad in the past as it is now.  This is the same thing as with the star trek discussions. Yes, the comics have been for the most part left leaning, but now they are so hard to the left that they are intentionally throwing away and disowning what made them worthwhile at all.

It was surreal watching them deconstruct heroism in the 90s and 00s. It was annoying to see them childishly entering politics from the 00s onwards. Because the left is hung up on always being revolutionary and they always have to attack the foundations, they are only left with the more basic bits of the structure, that nobody should attack, and they are.

Last comic arc I found even worth perusing at the comic rack without buying was world war hulk. I also liked silver surfer requiem.  We are now writing comics for kids that are pushing them towards the ideology of destroying the very idea of having a "normal" in anything, sex included.

Oh, batman's now BI, for anyone who's not at the point of indifference and not caring.

Manga has been outselling comics recently. Rippaverse is outselling spiderman. Etc. Turns out when you constantly treat your readers with utter disrespect and hatred, they don't want your stuff. Oh, who could have forseen it!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's comics, who cares.
View Quote

It's just stuff directed at the kids, who cares.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]

WTF is that Elon Musk?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your loss bro

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271151/c6_jpg-2500656.JPG

Don't forget to go home and have a heart attack after seeing that.

IYK, YK.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Manga has been outselling comics recently. Rippaverse is outselling spiderman. Etc. Turns out when you constantly treat your readers with utter disrespect and hatred, they don't want your stuff. Oh, who could have forseen it!
View Quote

This blows my mind! I'm so glad Eric July is seeing the success he is! He's pouring his everything into making it happen and it's great to see it paying off.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top