Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If I’m fighting with a pistol shit went seriously wrong.

That said I would also be very thankful I had it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Much like your primary weapon, it's not needed until you have to use it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Makes perfect sense for artillery. Sometimes you're hands are full with heavy stuff.
View Quote
I’m artillery, for the love of big tits do not take away my M4 and stick me with a pistol
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a reason the U.S. doesn't hardly issue pistols except to the higher ranks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That fucking irritated the fuck out of me. Medics and shit were having their issued M9s taken away from them by Officers and such. Just so they could look cool, bad ass, operator as fuck, when they went to the Chow Hall.
View Quote
Same thing, only guys who kept theirs over the PL is the 240 guys. Either way, pistols are  pointless in actual war  fighting. Room clearing with a pistol? Uhh thats worst idea ever. Lets do offensive maneuver(room clearing) with a pistol knowing the enemy has rifles.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if it's something that's tracked, but I wonder which has killed more combatants since 1950, pistol or bayonet?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I deployed to Iraq in 2010 and we had enough m9 s for most of us to dual carry.  The mission was convoy security.  The idea was that a pistol would be easily accessible.  The command decided not to go that route.  The m4 fulfilled our needs adequately.  However our contact with adversaries was minimal.  I definitely see a role for the pistol in war but the mission, terrain etc.. will dictate the value of carrying one.  I think the weight of a pistol and a few mags is inconsequential in vehicle mounted units
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
They’re not really necessary until the moment they are. I would always carry mine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was what I came to post. I felt sorry for the guys carrying 240/249's to chow. I was very glad I was issued a sidearm when deployed.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure if it's something that's tracked, but I wonder which has killed more combatants since 1950, pistol or bayonet?
View Quote
Given the tunnel experiences in Vietnam, I'd guess the pistol.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where’s the picture of the guy holding a bloody M9 after a very close range gunfight in Iraq?
View Quote
Bradley Kasal

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Saved for when I run into someone who says that taking the finger out of the trigger guard is too hard to remember to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Saved for when I run into someone who says that taking the finger out of the trigger guard is too hard to remember to do.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
What kind of war?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When the only thing you have is a pistol because there is no room in the cockpit, it becomes very necessary.
View Quote
Our left seaters shot a bunch of bad guys with M4s, and id bet our seating arrangement was tighter than most.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Almost mandatory for the DFAC?
View Quote
Exactly. Pistols are essential...for going to dinner or to take a dump.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I would think in a heavy urban environment it may come in handy?

M4 malfunctions, M4 is shot and breaks, etc..In an urban environment, I would think a pistol would have some value at this point - thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm artillery, for the love of big tits do not take away my M4 and stick me with a pistol
View Quote
Dumb question, so I apologize.

How do y'all keep rifles handy while actually working the artillery?  Slung?  Stashed somewhere near the gun?  Fuckit, that's what security is for?

I ask because I've been watching C&Rsenal videos about the WWI use of carbines and the development of the LP-08 Luger. At the time, the crews generally preferred the 8-shot semiautomatic pistol in a holster/detachable stock over a bolt gun that had to be stashed in scabbards on the guns or caissons.  I'm sure the volume of fire differential made a big impact in that decision, but I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep carbines handy in today's artillery.  It's not as though artillery crews are under regular threat of cavalry attack these days, anyway (afaik).

During movements, etc, I can absolutely see why an M-4 would be preferable over a handgun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Our left seaters shot a bunch of bad guys with M4s, and id bet our seating arrangement was tighter than most.
View Quote
SnakeDriver said he had a XM177 in his cockpit. If I Remember Correctly.

@Snakedriver
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always wondered about that. I have heard the explanation that people would only really be shot when the leaders/terrorists brought out the handgun but why? Did the badguy leaders never carry rifles? Or is it a cultural thing to execute people with handguns only?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Afghanistan it'll make the locals back off faster than an M4.
I always wondered about that. I have heard the explanation that people would only really be shot when the leaders/terrorists brought out the handgun but why? Did the badguy leaders never carry rifles? Or is it a cultural thing to execute people with handguns only?
This was the explanation I was given back then. Something about routinely seeing rifles all the time just by regular military and whatnot, but the only time many saw pistols was when they were doing executions. I assumed it was from one of the various secret police groups doing the executions, and the guy doing them (the equivalent of one of our NCOs/COs or a CIA agent) would be using his issues sidearm. That was just a supposition on my part though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
DAT here from the mid-80's, we were not issued any rifles at all. Grease guns inside the tank, and carried a .45 in a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dumb question, so I apologize.

How do y'all keep rifles handy while actually working the artillery?  Slung?  Stashed somewhere near the gun?  Fuckit, that's what security is for?

I ask because I've been watching C&Rsenal videos about the WWI use of carbines and the development of the LP-08 Luger. At the time, the crews generally preferred the 8-shot semiautomatic pistol in a holster/detachable stock over a bolt gun that had to be stashed in scabbards on the guns or caissons.  I'm sure the volume of fire differential made a big impact in that decision, but I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep carbines handy in today's artillery.  It's not as though artillery crews are under regular threat of cavalry attack these days, anyway (afaik).

During movements, etc, I can absolutely see why an M-4 would be preferable over a handgun.
View Quote
I think it's somewhat a unit SOP sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What kind of war?
View Quote
Any and all!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
When you are trying to play bagpipes charging an enemy position a pistol would be handier than an Enfield
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Situational. Most will never use one.

Doing secret squirrel stuff? A suppressed handgun is very, very quiet.

For CQB, it's nice to have the option, but unlikely to be used.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, and wasn't there a Marine MOH winner who killed a bunch of Germans with a 1911? Besides Alvin York?
View Quote
There was, though both did it in a war where the primary infantry arm held less ammo than their pistol and was bolt-action.  It seems like you see fewer and fewer of those kinds of stories as we get closer to the modern era.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, and wasn't there a Marine MOH winner who killed a bunch of Germans with a 1911? Besides Alvin York?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
York was ARMY
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A guy at the gun store was a master chief in 4th SF group back at Ft. Jackson.  He carried a Desert Eagle over there. had to use it a few times when his Enfield 303 ran dry.

They let him keep the pistol when he got out along with a set of NVGs.  But he doesn't like to talk about it.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#30]
During our next war the suppressed .22 will be quite valuable
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]
So POG NCOs don't have to carry a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Having a secondary weapon is not a bad thing.

And they come in handy, because some populations fear pistols far more than rifles or machine guns.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I would have liked to have had one searching people coming onto base, the M4 was pretty unwieldy around the metal detectors.

Outside special circumstances like that, I wouldn't lug around a pistol and ammo for it if given the choice.  Even for CQB I'd take a rifle over a pistol now, though a 10.5" upper would be ideal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#34]
As I understand it youre meant to fight to a rifle with a pistol in that scenario
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#35]
WW-1 trench raids by the French were usually carried out by men with two pistols in the lead. Though only a .32 French Contract Savage M1907 was very popular for the task due to it's 10 round capacity.

Like this one in my collection that was shipped to France in 1915.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Very.  It made it so we didn't have to carry around our fucking muskets 24/7 while on base.  Just strap on the leg hoslter and go to the chow hall.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#37]
If you have something that's more effective, a pistol is unnecessary.
If that's all you have, it can be a life saver.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tending the wounded....manning a radio....a pistol backup is good to have.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Love gun store stories. LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy at the gun store was a master chief in 4th SF group back at Ft. Jackson.  He carried a Desert Eagle over there. had to use it a few times when his Enfield 303 ran dry.

They let him keep the pistol when he got out along with a set of NVGs.  But he doesn't like to talk about it.  
Love gun store stories. LOL
That's nothing. I met a Marine from Vietnam that had over 500 airborne jumps in his time in service.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That fucking irritated the fuck out of me. Medics and shit were having their issued M9s taken away from them by Officers and such. Just so they could look cool, bad ass, operator as fuck, when they went to the Chow Hall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They arent used for more then carrying a weapon to the chow hall.
Afghan?

In Iraq by the time 2006 rolled around, almost everyone and their mom had pistols, at least in Baghdad.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
WW-1 trench raids by the French were usually carried out by men with two pistols in the lead. Though only a .32 French Contract Savage M1907 was very popular for the task due to it's 10 round capacity.

Like this one in my collection that was shipped to France in 1915.

https://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=487439&d=1322956575
View Quote
That makes some sense over a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone has a opinion of course. But I want to hear a story of someone who used a pistol in combat instead of finding a rifle. Never heard of a rifle getting shot, a rifle malfunctioning, clearing rooms, or security in actual combat(rounds being fired not POG scenario) where a pistol was drawn and used. In current times I may add not past times. In real life its more common to drop to a knee or find cover and fix a malfunction then pull a pistol against a rifle or MG.

Alot of training outside the military is about defense which is different obviously. In the military (combat jobs) its about close with and destory, to do that it isnt with a backup pistol. 100rnds of 5.56 weighs 3.5lbs I believe. Even M67 weighs 14oz.

If it came down to using a pistol becuase of rifle problems in current times, there has to be enough dead people around to grab a rifle that isnt yours.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Everyone has a opinion of course. But I want to hear a story of someone who used a pistol in combat instead of finding a rifle. Never heard of a rifle getting shot, a rifle malfunctioning, clearing rooms, or security in actual combat(rounds being fired not POG scenario) where a pistol was drawn and used. In current times I may add not past times. In training its more common to drop to a knee or find cover and fix a malfunction then pull a pistol against a rifle or MG.

Alot of training outside the military is about defense which is different obviously. In the military (combat jobs) its about close with and destory, to do that it isnt with a backup pistol. 100rnds of 5.56 weighs 3.5lbs I believe. Even M67 weighs 14oz.

If it came down to using a pistol becuase of rifle problems in current times, there has to be enough dead people around to grab a rifle that isnt yours.
View Quote
If you are in an actual fight, and your rifle malfunctions, the quickest and smartest solution is to immediately draw your pistol and continue firing.  This is how we train.

Looking around for a rifle is waste of time in such scenarios.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Compact PDW >>>>> Pistol

In US military history, the M1 Carbine is an example of a great little blaster that anyone can carry without hindering their performance, while still having an effective cartridge that kills.

Almost every soldier in the Big Green Pickle Machine that currently is issued a sidearm should really have a compact PDW in a bottle-necked PDW cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you are in an actual fight, and your rifle malfunctions, the quickest and smartest solution is to immediately draw your pistol and continue firing.  This is how we train.

View Quote
Never had a malfunction so bad that it didnt take seconds to fix, after using multiple m4's in multiple jobs. Still havent seen anyone have to pull a pistol out instead of fixing a rifle in real life not training.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Pistols suck at everything but being concealable and portable.

I'd rather have a cleaning kit, grenades/explosives, or more ammo for my Rifle.

If I have a LMG, I'd rather have more ammo and spare barrels.

If I'm a non-Grunt, I'd rather have a PDW of some sort (P90/MP7/Other SMG).

But here in the US, different tools for different jobs, and I'd rather have a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
During our next war the suppressed .22 will be quite valuable
View Quote
How valuable is a suppressed .22 though if you don’t have a wheelbarrow or a debarked chihuahua?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
A pistol is certainly a great thing to have as an individual concerned with saving his own ass, but I think the point he is making is that some individual 11B getting killed because his rifle went down and he had no pistol is not going to win or lose a war, and frankly does not even matter from a strategic viewpoint.

In the grand scheme of warfighting, which is driven primarily by logistics anyway, you could probably eliminate the handgun from the US military inventory and not have a noticeable effect on fighting performance.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Afghan?

In Iraq by the time 2006 rolled around, almost everyone and their mom had pistols, at least in Baghdad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They arent used for more then carrying a weapon to the chow hall.
Afghan?

Iraq. but my last deployment ended in mid 2005. So it must have been before all that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Given the tunnel experiences in Vietnam, I'd guess the pistol.
View Quote
Probably true, but I can't help but think that at least some of those kills were with handheld m16 (m7?) bayonets for stealth.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top