In Texas it’s not wise
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Often.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
People who use their horn I consider lowly trash.

I only use mine when I lock the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Every time an asshole pisses me off... so daily.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Texas it’s not wise
View Quote

Used mine plenty in that state.

Hawaii? Those crazy asses will straight beat your ass for honking at them. A middle aged dude in a minivan with his kids wanted to fist fight my wife over one beep.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fact.

What's up with that? I-15 along the Wasatch Front is terrifying.
View Quote
Everything along the wasatch front is terrifying and frustrating. Driver instruction in Utah is going down the toilet, and there are no efforts at continuing education, I don't believe a written test is EVER required for renewal. I'd be happy if they did it every couple of times you renew. (10 years.)

Left lane campers are absolutely endemic. The law in Utah actually says that if you're on a multi-lane highway, and you are in a left lane, you have to move over for overtaking cars. I don't think people know this, at all, and if they do, they never look in their damn rear view. I have never seen so many traffic normers puttering along in the left lane trying to keep EVERYONE ELSE under the speed limit, because they think they're traffic cops.

There's also a thing I like to call a Utah roadblock, which is a row of cars going the same speed, making it completely impossible to pass. Y'all probably have this in your states too and call it something else.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Horns really should be a trigger button not at the center of the wheel, or maybe a foot button on automatic cars.
Generally I use a quick beep if someone is not moving at a light or something but rarely a long blast if they are doing asshole/dangerous stuff.
The thing is, the LAST FUCKING PLACE I want a hand is on the horn if my airbag goes off so for evasive maneuvers it's often a "fuck you buddy" after the event rather than to prevent the event.
That is the one thing my old Mercury Tracer had right, a little thumb button for it that kept the hands on and in full control of the wheel.
View Quote
That is exactly what happened to the wife of a friend of mine.  Her hand was seriously fucked up, and it's given her problems ever since.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty rare.  If you fuck up in front of me, I'm more likely to plow into your ass than use the horn.

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pretty rare.  If you fuck up in front of me, I'm more likely to plow into your ass than use the horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GGpHh_4rE
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Works well with The Finger; I enjoy use of either, or both.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Only when someone cuts me off while I'm on the phone. So, like daily.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
About every 2-3 times I drive, including quick food runs. It's getting retarded
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Daily at this point, the drivers around here have gotten significantly worse over the last year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Rarely, usually to avoid a collision.

Honking as punishment is asking for road rage
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Daily at this point, the drivers around here have gotten significantly worse over the last year.
View Quote
No kidding.

The last six weeks have been Hell here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I highly recommend DIY if you are mechanically inclined and have some free time.  For the price of a Ranch Hand, Bucks top, etc. bumper, I bought a MIG welder, angle grinder, chop saw, and all the materials needed.  I'm certain my bumper and added frame reinforcements are stronger than any bolt on offerings on the market.

One of these days, I need to make a dumbass video compilation out of my dashcam vids.  I've totaled 2 other vehicles since, all while sustaing little more than cosmetic damage.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Car horns are rude,I prefer to tell people what I think of them or use hand gestures when possible
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am generally amazed at how little people in DC and NoVA use their horns.

I think it's because the traffic is SO terrible, that everyone's will has been broken, and they have resigned themselves to the "oh well, I'll get there when I get there" mindset .  People honk a LOT more in all of the other places I have lived and regularly drive.  (Which include St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville and Orlando/Space Coast).
View Quote
Dude, the traffic up here is unreal. People are SO FUCKING STUPID on the road. I can't tell you how many times we've had people just come right over into our lane on the way to work. Especially around the Woodrow Wilson bridge and basically anywhere on 495. We had some dude about run us into the guardrail just this morning. Zero fucks, no paying attention whatsoever. I can't wait to get back to Jacksonville traffic, if that tells you anything...
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dude, the traffic up here is unreal. People are SO FUCKING STUPID on the road. I can't tell you how many times we've had people just come right over into our lane on the way to work. Especially around the Woodrow Wilson bridge and basically anywhere on 495. We had some dude about run us into the guardrail just this morning. Zero fucks, no paying attention whatsoever. I can't wait to get back to Jacksonville traffic, if that tells you anything...
View Quote
Fuck Jacksonville's traffic. But it's worlds better than Miami.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was absolutely shocked by how many times my nav system in my rental car between Orlando and Key West told me to do a U-turn. Fuck that, I don't do U-turns. Apparently that's what you do in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Seems like never but I’m sure a few times.  More if I’d taken the wife’s advice....
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jacksonville is way better than Orlando, too...and lightyears ahead of the DMV area
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
People can't resist being on their phone while they're driving.  I admit I have succumb to the temptation briefly a few times.  Never in heavy traffic or anything.

The main reason I will probably never have a motorcycle again.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I highly recommend DIY if you are mechanically inclined and have some free time.  For the price of a Ranch Hand, Bucks top, etc. bumper, I bought a MIG welder, angle grinder, chop saw, and all the materials needed.  I'm certain my bumper and added frame reinforcements are stronger than any bolt on offerings on the market.

One of these days, I need to make a dumbass video compilation out of my dashcam vids.  I've totaled 2 other vehicles since, all while sustaing little more than cosmetic damage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My initial reaction was that I'd rather spend the money than the time, but now that I think about it, that might actually be a fun project.  I've never welded before but I would like to learn.
Maybe one day when my barn isn't a total disorganized disaster.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Every day. Multiple times. I'd prefer a grill mounted sidewinder missile battery though. That would be more effective.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Glad you're ok, WhiskersTheCat.

I haven't had a 2-horn day like yours since 2017 most likely.

I did have a one-horn day earlier this year.
View Quote
Thanks man. Yeah, I get frustrated a lot with dummies, but don't often have two people almost hit me in one day
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Never. They should be reserved for emergency use only.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hardly ever....

Why?  Because modern vehicles suck.

Anyone else with a Wrangler JK that has that annoying delay between the time you hit the horn to the time it makes a noise.

"Horn-by-wire" I guess.....
View Quote
Vehicle horns are electric and have been for a very, very long time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Only when running code and busting lights. Rumblers are awesome
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Almost never
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe once or twice a year for a near miss accident. Otherwise, no.

Why am I not surprised that some of you use your horn every day.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Maybe once or twice a year for a near miss accident. Otherwise, no.

Why am I not surprised that some of you use your horn every day.
View Quote
Some of us deal with near misses regularly

DFW drivers are absolute retards. If I used my horn as much as I SHOULD, I'd be using it every day too. Everything from people ignoring yield signs to impatient idiots who think that someone turning off the road in front of you gives them the right of way to get onto the same road, to people who are so brain dead that staying in their own lane is too much of a challenge.

And to a person, they all think it's somehow your fault.

I'm glad you're lucky enough to live somewhere that isn't packed with tards.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If she's anything like my wife, the more you blow the horn, the longer it will take.  
View Quote
Your wives are more tolerant than I am. My penultimate love did that to me once fairly early on in our acquaintanceship. I don’t remember where we planned to go, but he went by himself, or he didn’t go at all. I don’t remember that either.  I do remember that he never sat his ass in my driveway blowing his fuckin’ horn at me again.

Great guy and a joy to be with, once he got it through his head that I wasn’t his ex-wife.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Whenever my wife walks in front of my Jeep.

I've had my truck for over a year. I don't even know what the horn sounds like.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve had my current car for about 6 months, and don’t recall ever using it.

ETA: I did use it once, when I guy pulled out in front of me.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top