Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I am doing nothing different.  I was already deleberite with my money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Making lots of duck and goose jerky. Haven’t even tapped into the venison yet. Dehydrator has been running 24/7 for weeks on end. Like everyone else not going out to eat and just buying the things we need. I bought about $600-700 of treated lumber on Facebook for $100 to convert my corn crib into a two stall garage this spring. Just being a lot smarter with money to make it go further.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Raise my prices on the stuff I sell.  

Take on as much cheap debt as possible to buy income producing or appreciating assets.

Keep investing in crypto and stonks.

All that while making sure this plan can survive a recession.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Buying TripleC's mix tapes.

I'm single and live alone, so I don't really go out much as it is, and work from home so I'm not burning much gas.  House and car are long paid off.  
Not much has changed as I didn't do much before.  I'm boring.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mitigate.

Also consider 3 B's.
View Quote

It's technically 4 B's now.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Selling our house, buying an RV and hitting the road for 6 months to a year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We cut way down on eating out/takeout.  Which helps with gasoline use, too.  That's it for us, so far.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went up another $25/hr.

View Quote

Yup, I'm unapologetically charging more. Damn mechanics
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Work a day of overtime here and there. The ability to bring home an extra $700 on a paycheck for working a day of overtime is nice. I don't think we're spending an extra $700 every two weeks due to inflation but if they are going to let me make it I'll show up and work it. Never hurts to have extra money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm taking on as much debt as they'll allow me, and buying durable goods.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Traded my Tundra in on a Rav4

Tundra was cosing my 1040 a month

Rav4 cut out 640 a month payments to nothing and gas costs were cut in half

Buying 1/4 cows from local farmer and making meals and freezing them from that

Example: Made a ton of Chili and vac packed it for later use using 10 pounds of the hamburger

I was paying 120 a month for phone and got it cut to 32 a month using spectrum
Got my internet cut down to 39.99 a month for 500 down, 32 up cutting that bill from 199.99 a month and removed TV as I dont really use it

Stopped buying stupid shit i dont need

I am banking about 2000 a month more now
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
At this point I have made no changes, just continuing with life as normal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ill bite, if you believe inflation is real and will get worse, why are you making extra debt payments?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spending less, consolidating debt to lower interest rates, not making extra payments on debt principal.

ill bite, if you believe inflation is real and will get worse, why are you making extra debt payments?

I'm hedging here.... betting on worse times to come. I'm planning on just about paying our home off in the next year if possible. Doesn't make financial sense, but I want that title in my hand. I am planning on buying another rental if possible. I like low rates on inflating assets.

Inflation generally hasn't affected us much. Both my wife and myself have been able to grow our incomes along with the inflation if not outpace it.

I think it's going to get worse. We're holding onto about a year of my income just sitting in a savings acct. I understand it is losing value, but it's nice to be completely liquid, there. We're going to invest about 25% of that into home upgrades and repairs this summer. Might as well do that now befire it becomes more expensive or our incomes are affected.

I need a new truck soon, but I hate to buy into this madness. I may buy a lower line truck for now. I'm not sure I need a Laramie for my work truck. I have two other vehicles I'll probably sell off in spring to offset the cost. Used cars are crazy high right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Canceled my Netflix subscription and joined AARP for the discounts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My cost of business and living are both up. So I raised my prices to my customers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm hedging here.... betting on worse times to come. I'm planning on just about paying our home off in the next year if possible. Doesn't make financial sense, but I want that title in my hand. I am planning on buying another rental if possible. I like low rates on inflating assets.

Inflation generally hasn't affected us much. Both my wife and myself have been able to grow our incomes along with the inflation if not outpace it.

I think it's going to get worse. We're holding onto about a year of my income just sitting in a savings acct. I understand it is losing value, but it's nice to be completely liquid, there. We're going to invest about 25% of that into home upgrades and repairs this summer. Might as well do that now befire it becomes more expensive or our incomes are affected.

I need a new truck soon, but I hate to buy into this madness. I may buy a lower line truck for now. I'm not sure I need a Laramie for my work truck. I have two other vehicles I'll probably sell off in spring to offset the cost. Used cars are crazy high right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spending less, consolidating debt to lower interest rates, not making extra payments on debt principal.

I understand why people want to pay off their house. It's not the smartest financial move, but it is a massive safety net to have.

But why are you keeping 1 year worth of income in a savings account? You can put that money in the market with a TD account, and it can still be just as "liquid" as you need.

Remember, at a 7% inflation rate, it will only take about 9 years for your savings account to be cut in half.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Losing money on purchases for the house.

The amount spent on luxury spending (completely useless items, from antiques to high end furniture) is through the roof.  Antique weapons, ceramics, paintings... you name it.  It far exceeds inflation... people with money are spending a lot more of it on stupid shit.

As for whether I'm doing anything about inflation aside from spending more... nope.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Selling starfish on the street
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Nothing's changed. Due to being savers rather than spenders throughout our lives we're in good shape.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#20]
The opposite of what I should be doing (buying land) - I’m selling property and becoming debt free. I don’t have a great feeling about the future and want my house in order.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got time to do a rear main, trans flush & trans cooler lines replacement? Maybe replace the PS pump too? 4.8l chevy pickup, '05...

...how about tossing in a AC comp belt replace while you are down there. Its got a few cracks
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
We went ahead and bought a new to me vehicle last year, a Gen 1 2014 Ford Raptor. Got it used with 21,000 miles on it. Paid a premium for it and it's the truck I've always wanted. Our Escalade was getting up in age and mileage.

We also paid off my son's wheelchair van and my wife's Mustang. Bought new tires for all three vehicles.

We've also stocked up on food, bought a new deep freeze. We keep both our deep freeze packed full.

My FIL is having some health issues so he moved in with us and he's in the process of selling his house and extra car. By consolidating households, he's saving around $5k  a month and he's helping out with a little bit here and there.

He's also planning on bringing down his two deep freezes and both refridgerators. Plus he has his pantry packed DEEEEP with canned goods and long term storage goods. We estimate with his stock and our stock we could last at least two years only buying fresh fruits, vegetables, and stuff for that can't store for very long.

We're also putting his furniture in storage since he just bought new bedroom and living room sets about 5yrs ago before the MIL passed away. So if we need new stuff, it's ready to go.

We also cut way back on eating out and weekly pizza delivery. We also started using the grocery delivery. That saves us in impulse purchases and gas too.

We've also taken a look at some of the stuff we don't really need or use and either taken it to go Goodwill for donation or selling off through FB market place.

The wife and I make good money so it's not really affecting us too much for now. We expect it to get much worse really soon.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I eat a lot more pork, but luckily I love it, and it does really well in an air fryer
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Acquiring capital assets that generate revenue using cheap debt.  

Bought 12 Mixer trucks this week and 18 excavators so far in feb
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Buying half priced meat and trying to spend less overall.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also used to keep estimates for 6 months, now 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Living well below your means has the added advantage of not feeling the immediate impacts of inflation.

Sire, I still complain about rising prices, but any cutbacks in our family's lifestyle is more out of disgust at prices than necessity.  Thankfully.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This, for quality things that will last.

Is item I need and use going to get more expensive and lower quality down the road?  If yes, why wait instead of just buying it now.
View Quote

I bought a pistol, Bullpup and an AR complete upper in the past week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We cut way down on eating out/takeout.  Which helps with gasoline use, too.  That's it for us, so far.
View Quote

This. Cut out frivolous spending like beer. I don't need it anyway. Increased my spending on NFA items and tax stamps however.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Traded my Tundra in on a Rav4

Tundra was cosing my 1040 a month

Rav4 cut out 640 a month payments to nothing and gas costs were cut in half

Buying 1/4 cows from local farmer and making meals and freezing them from that

Example: Made a ton of Chili and vac packed it for later use using 10 pounds of the hamburger

I was paying 120 a month for phone and got it cut to 32 a month using spectrum
Got my internet cut down to 39.99 a month for 500 down, 32 up cutting that bill from 199.99 a month and removed TV as I dont really use it

Stopped buying stupid shit i dont need

I am banking about 2000 a month more now
View Quote

This is how things are done. Good on you, sir!
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

^
|

That's how you do it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much...  
Ohh, I'm buying much less frivolousness shit...
Hate to say it, but I'm way worse than the wife.

I'm was always ordering something from Amazon for one of my Hobbies or spending money on the weekends on small stuff, like I print it.
Cutting way back now on that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#34]
By spending every dime of today dollars so it doesn't become worthless tomorrow dollars.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bump, for the people in the back!

This is how you take advantage of inflation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yowza, those are not small purchases. Right on...
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I started a gofundme for a homeless guy that gave me his last 20 bucks. I hope I dont get caught.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Kicked myself in the ass for not ordering all my remodel shit a year ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Raising rent
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Haven't changed a thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Inflation was kicking our ass for the last six months or so. With the biggest increases being in necessities and having a large family, food, fuel and water seem to be up about 50-100%.

We live in a rural area and work in a small town so what we’ve done is:
-Cash out refi to pay off wife’s vehicle and our boat. 19k to save a little over 500/mo and lowered our payment on the house by $80 due to a 1% rate decrease.
-Wife just accepted an offer to transfer from 4th grade teacher to special Ed. +12% salary.
-I demanded a 10% increase in hourly rate or I walk right there. +11.5% hourly rate.
-Just4U Safeway app. Steaks and other meat regularly goes on sale for app members as much as %50. Spend 1-200 at a time maxing out the limits on sale items and keeping our freezers packed.
-Safeway points from above to save 30 cents/gallon on fuel.
-financed a small tractor at a really low rate to save its cost in paying for work on our house/property.
-double the size of our spring garden and switch from sprinkler irrigation to drip.
-take side jobs in the spring and summer with the tractor to offset No or limited overtime at work when/if it hits.

So between decreased debt payments and increased salary were +~2,200/mo in income/expenses this month over last. That will cover inflation to this point at least.

Close to where we were and like to be, 1 salary covering cost of living.

I seem to have an opposite strategy when it comes to debt. I’d rather pay it off and have the additional flexibility month to month than max out income in payments with lower rates than inflation. Not sure if it’s the brightest idea but the peace of mind helps us out a lot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#42]
If I see something I want but do not need and the price is not to my liking I skip it. Been doing that a lot more lately. That is really the way to fight inflation on many things. Unless you absolutely need something, not buying it reduces demand. Then the manufacturer can either accept they will sell less OR they can lower the price to sell more (or shrink the package as many are doing to reduce the price).
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Nothing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:... but the peace of mind helps us out a lot.
View Quote

We don't pay enough attention to our peace of mind until it's too late sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Got a new house, wife lost her job. No kids so mostly just quit going out/getting delivery. Slowed down on my bourbon habit too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I am eating my daily ration of snow and birds
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
With it looming on the horizon for a while, combined with supply chain issues, my wife and I bought everything we wanted last year.
We spent quite a bit to set us up and have stuff we are still waiting to use, but we look at the prices now and are glad we did.

For my business, I bought bulk orders of everything and have 80% of what I need for this year.
(next year might be a different story)
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#48]
$20 is $20 except that $20 feels like it is only worth 87 cents.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Got a raise at work.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm trying to build a house. Frankly inflation combined with supply chain uncertainty is killing me.
View Quote

My sister's house got walloped by a tornado last year.  Repair and rebuilding has been a major pain in the ass.  It'll be a year next month, and she's still not back living in it.  She's close, though.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top